Wikileaks poison pill file download

wibble

Wikileaks insurance file is on PirateBay for download.

Apparently this is all new stuff that hasn't been cleaned up. They will only release the password if something really nasty happens to Assange or to Wikileaks itself.

Jambof3tornado

And you don't think the governments could intercept/block this?

The dudes messed,don't mess with the big boys!

this may protect him from govts who want him quiet but anyone who wanted to embaress whoever is the subject of the policy would do well to knock him off.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Saw this on 4chan yesterday.

Its widely reckoned to be fake.

I think there is one though but I dont think it would come through such an obvious route

Fascinating stuff for fascinating times.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US just went public with their tyranny and shut down huge chunks of the internet. Internet only for commercial enterprise and government/military for example.

the file is likely a fake as it would be cracked open password or no pretty quickly. but don't confuse Wikileaks with Julian Assange only - he's just a figurehead.

the file is likely a fake as it would be cracked open password or no pretty quickly. but don't confuse Wikileaks with Julian Assange only - he's just a figurehead.

It's not password protected. It is encrypted at a very high level. To de-encrypt it you would need a piece of software and an algorithm. With the type of encryption they have used it would be nigh on impossible to crack.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's not password protected. It is encrypted at a very high level. To de-encrypt it you would need a piece of software and an algorithm. With the type of encryption they have used it would be nigh on impossible to crack.

Which is interesting. I think if there is a Wikileaks plan at all there is probably a unencrypted page out there, probably written anonymously in blog style or something or other and filled already with great conspiracy theories which everyone thinks is either BS or just the witterings of some cyber nutter.

The 'pill' then confirms this page is actually genuine.

After all, there is nothing like hiding in plain sight!

jamboinglasgow

It may just be me, but it sounds something people say as they have been disappointed that the information released is not as exciting or as dammimg as they hoped. So they have this idea of a file full of the files they were hoping for and that it is ready to attack if the evil Americans attack wikileaks or their creator.

As I understand it Wikileaks are vetting all the info before releasing it. They are not releasing stuff that could risk peoples lives and they are probably not releasing anything that would cause a revolution.

I get the feeling that Wikileaks have so far only shown the US what they have the potential to do. The reason the US are panicking is more because of what hasn't been released rather than what has.

Wikileaks aren't doing anything more than the Guardian. Both are just publishing leaked information. Wikileaks aren't even passing judgement on anything.

Wikileaks aren't doing anything more than the Guardian. Both are just publishing leaked information. Wikileaks aren't even passing judgement on anything.

newspaper editors are accountable and the internet isnt. This whole affair may become a microcosm for future wars between the internet and govts. Like terminator but fought between guys in their mum's basements.

newspaper editors are accountable and the internet isnt. This whole affair may become a microcosm for future wars between the internet and govts. Like terminator but fought between guys in their mum's basements.

Wow... this should be on the pitch us ideas for a movie thread!

It looks like they are making Assange accountable. They haven't got anything to do him for so they've set him up instead.

People seem to lose sight of the fact that all the lying and deceit has been on the part of government, civil service and big business. Wikileaks haven't really said a word. The leaks speak for themselves.

Ribery's Face

Honestly, you actuly think the goverment could block this? They would have done this by now, the guy has too many insiders and if anything happens to this website or the guy all hell will break loose!

Commander Harris

from a technical perspective this would be very hard (nigh on impossible) to block. ?The file would be distributed using BitTorrent, which is a distributed system - there is no central store for the file, as there is with a webserver for example, ?the files are hosted on people's individual machines and are shared peer to peer. ??

Guest John Meurig Thomas

from a technical perspective this would be very hard (nigh on impossible) to block. The file would be distributed using BitTorrent, which is a distributed system - there is no central store for the file, as there is with a webserver for example, the files are hosted on people's individual machines and are shared peer to peer.

Would someone not be able to crack the file anyway, ie someone up in the NSA or something in the US, just to verify it's not a fake? Or even just your average hacker who'd be able to open it up and confirm it's not a fake, hence governments taking it seriously?

I dunno - I have no idea how the file works. I'd like to know though

It looks like they are making Assange accountable. They haven't got anything to do him for so they've set him up instead.

People seem to lose sight of the fact that all the lying and deceit has been on the part of government, civil service and big business. Wikileaks haven't really said a word. The leaks speak for themselves.

Absolutely, but assange is just the first and whether he's bumped off, bunged off or jailed there will be more. I'm more interested in the long term story that is govts versus the internet. As i write this i'm imagining my very own conspiracies thread, but i'm awaiting the very necessary legislation that will allow govts to deal with future 'threats' on the internet. Nevermind the moves towards global govt we're already seeing.

Anyway, off to wrap my head in tinfoil.

Absolutely, but assange is just the first and whether he's bumped off, bunged off or jailed there will be more. I'm more interested in the long term story that is govts versus the internet. As i write this i'm imagining my very own conspiracies thread, but i'm awaiting the very necessary legislation that will allow govts to deal with future 'threats' on the internet. Nevermind the moves towards global govt we're already seeing.

Anyway, off to wrap my head in tinfoil.

I said the same yesterday, that now that the veil has fallen from the US and everyone can see that they are no more a democracy than the likes of China that they may well feel that they should probably drop all the pretense and start censoring the internet in the same way China do.

It's almost a certainty.

Australia has legislation in the system for internet filtering. The proposed list of banned sites was leaked on Wikileaks some time ago and it was quite scary what some of the sites were that they proposed to ban. All sorts of innocuous stuff.

jamboinglasgow

I said the same yesterday, that now that the veil has fallen from the US and everyone can see that they are no more a democracy than the likes of China that they may well feel that they should probably drop all the pretense and start censoring the internet in the same way China do.

It's almost a certainty.

Australia has legislation in the system for internet filtering. The proposed list of banned sites was leaked on Wikileaks some time ago and it was quite scary what some of the sites were that they proposed to ban. All sorts of innocuous stuff.

I must have missed something huge thing the wikileaks leak said, because all I saw was the usual diplomatic mutterings.

I must have missed something huge thing the wikileaks leak said, because all I saw was the usual diplomatic mutterings.

Its nothing to do, especially, with what wikileaks has released. Its to do with the response from govts, especially the US. In the last few days we've seen

-People in positions of political power and influence calling for a journalist to be executed/assassinated for doing journalism.

-A man denied bail and facing extradition to Sweden and probably onwards to America to finally face god knows what charges because it's suspected he shagged 2 girls, both of whom later boasted about having slept with him, without wearing a condom.

-Concerted DDOS attacks on Wikileaks.

-Attempts to take the site offline and prosecute companies responsible for hosting the site.

-Freezing and/or closing of individuals' bank accounts.

-Companies conveniently ending their association with Wikileaks (all non-political, of course)

-Pay-pal, VISA and Mastercard all suddenly deciding to stop processing or allowing donations to wikileaks (again, non-political...)

-A government essentially saying that anything that happens anywhere in the world that they judge to be damaging or detrimental to them is illegal worldwide and anyone who perpetrates those acts will be hunted down and stopped. Followed by the rest of the governments of the world agreeing and coming out to help them achieve this.

In opposition to that there has been attempts to attack major sites who are clearly in hock to the US and have acted accordingly. Frankly there side of it has all been a bit ramshackle, but this is just the first act. Next time they'll be more organised, by then the internet will very likely have been chopped up and controlled by the state for our (their) protection.

jamboinglasgow

Its nothing to do, especially, with what wikileaks has released. Its to do with the response from govts, especially the US. In the last few days we've seen

-People in positions of political power and influence calling for a journalist to be executed/assassinated for doing journalism.

-A man denied bail and facing extradition to Sweden and probably onwards to America to finally face god knows what charges because it's suspected he shagged 2 girls, both of whom later boasted about having slept with him, without wearing a condom.

-Concerted DDOS attacks on Wikileaks.

-Attempts to take the site offline and prosecute companies responsible for hosting the site.

-Freezing and/or closing of individuals' bank accounts.

-Companies conveniently ending their association with Wikileaks (all non-political, of course)

-Pay-pal, VISA and Mastercard all suddenly deciding to stop processing or allowing donations to wikileaks (again, non-political...)

-A government essentially saying that anything that happens anywhere in the world that they judge to be damaging or detrimental to them is illegal worldwide and anyone who perpetrates those acts will be hunted down and stopped. Followed by the rest of the governments of the world agreeing and coming out to help them achieve this.

In opposition to that there has been attempts to attack major sites who are clearly in hock to the US and have acted accordingly. Frankly there side of it has all been a bit ramshackle, but this is just the first act. Next time they'll be more organised, by then the internet will very likely have been chopped up and controlled by the state for our (their) protection.

I am not surprised that the US wants rid of wikileaks, a huge amount of sensitive material is taken from US records and put on the internet? Is america just got to put its hands up and say "ok you got that, you cheeky scamps." There are serious implications to America's future relations with other countries that any information could be leaked onto the internet. Imagine if your private e-mails were put onto the internet by someone claiming that it was their right as you should not withhold their content, its effectively the same with wikileaks. I also think so many people are looking for conspiracy's to pop up with America. As for an American politician calling for the death penalty, if you ever see what fox news is like then that is quite light, stupid things are said all the time and some have not got the brightest of brains.

Would someone not be able to crack the file anyway, ie someone up in the NSA or something in the US, just to verify it's not a fake? Or even just your average hacker who'd be able to open it up and confirm it's not a fake, hence governments taking it seriously?

I dunno - I have no idea how the file works. I'd like to know though

People have been able to verify the nature of the file, but the algorith to break it has some serious strength.

"From the file name, it is believed that it has been encrypted using the AES256 algorithm - described as "extremely strong" by Professor Whitfield Diffie, of the Information Security Group at Royal Holloway University, London.

Prof Diffie believes that AES256, which he says has been "extensively studied" could prove too tough even for US intelligence agencies to break."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11026659

JIG, thats one part of it, and frankly a lot of that is contentious. The way i see it, what wikileaks are doing is no different to what most papers do anyway; they're not even passing judgement, just presenting the info. But i dont really care about that debate.

To me, the far more interesting - and dangerous - issue is how the US have dealt with this. Clearly they have little legal recourse to act so have chosen to bully and discredit assange and wikileaks through foreign govts (a clear sign that the democratic process in the west is a sham) and corporations (both of whom are tied in to eachother. another example of democracy to the highest bidder). And that, as i was saying, is just the first phase. In order to stop more SERIAL RAPISTS from putting billions of lives at risks (despite these files being available to millions already) they'll need to pass lots of legislation.

I've tried so hard not to simply say its orwellian and all that jazz but its so painfully (and sadly) obvious whats going on.

JIG, thats one part of it, and frankly a lot of that is contentious. The way i see it, what wikileaks are doing is no different to what most papers do anyway; they're not even passing judgement, just presenting the info. But i dont really care about that debate.

To me, the far more interesting - and dangerous - issue is how the US have dealt with this. Clearly they have little legal recourse to act so have chosen to bully and discredit assange and wikileaks through foreign govts (a clear sign that the democratic process in the west is a sham) and corporations (both of whom are tied in to eachother. another example of democracy to the highest bidder). And that, as i was saying, is just the first phase. In order to stop more SERIAL RAPISTS from putting billions of lives at risks (despite these files being available to millions already) they'll need to pass lots of legislation.

I've tried so hard not to simply say its orwellian and all that jazz but its so painfully (and sadly) obvious whats going on.

You can also see how hard it is for the mainstream media at this time. Journalistically they know that there are huge points of principle being tested here, but they are so much slaves to government and big business that they aren't offering as much support as they should to Assange and Wikileaks.

The BBC's position has been outrageously weak and their impartiality has to be questioned. They continually refer to the "Anonymous" DDOS attacks as "Wikileaks attacks" yet they know that these attacks have nothing to do with the Wikileaks organisation.

You can also see how hard it is for the mainstream media at this time. Journalistically they know that there are huge points of principle being tested here, but they are so much slaves to government and big business that they aren't offering as much support as they should to Assange and Wikileaks.

The BBC's position has been outrageously weak and their impartiality has to be questioned. They continually refer to the "Anonymous" DDOS attacks as "Wikileaks attacks" yet they know that these attacks have nothing to do with the Wikileaks organisation.

The fact that the rape claims have been the biggest story carried by the majority of the media highlights just what they want us to focus on. Unfortunately its their own doorstep they're shitting on. Given what will become of the BBC in the next few years i'd imagine they'd want to go out with a bang, but that was probably just wishful thinking.

Being a fan of irony, i love the fact that orwell based the ministry of truth on the beeb.

The fact that the rape claims have been the biggest story carried by the majority of the media highlights just what they want us to focus on. Unfortunately its their own doorstep they're shitting on. Given what will become of the BBC in the next few years i'd imagine they'd want to go out with a bang, but that was probably just wishful thinking.

Being a fan of irony, i love the fact that orwell based the ministry of truth on the beeb.

This will become a changing of the guard within media I think. Even rather closeted people can see that there is a stitch-up going on here. I would hope that papers like the Guardian get a lot of credit and new readership from their part in reporting the leaks as well as they have. There will also be a shift towards alternative news sources because many more people will realise that what is reported in the mainstream press is most often just the government line of the day.

I really do hope the push by Russia for a Nobel peace prize for Assange grows legs. That would be phenomenal.

http://onlinefreevideos.net/v/yrx9yLcKZL0/foxnews-julian-assange-anna-ardin-22.html

USA discover Wiki get 90% of funding through Mastercard and PayPal, they tell both companies that if they don't cut ties then they cant operate in the USA, both issue statement confirming this and now we have a Cyber War.

I do believe they have incredible stuff on their files and I do believe the Insurance file to be true, people can't keep secrets and there will be people who have felt to need to get info out. I expect there to be information on the Worlds biggest situations .. 9/11, Diana, Iraq to name three ... there are reasons people want him taken out but there are also reasons why he hasn't been taken out. This is a guy who ducks and dives around the world, if one day he wasn't seen then it would simply be expected that he was lying low ... he could go missing for months and be forgotten about BUT that can't happen because of the files he has in his reach.

Every government Secret/Security Agent will be doing everything possible to get these files BUT Julian will have ensured multi copies, (electronic and hard), what we have to remember is that the most advanced IT people do not work for our Governments or IT Companies ... they all sit at home, self taught geniuses more advanced than any of these Government guys and ten steps ahead.

I do think the file will only be released if there's a death, due to the fact that if he or somebody else isn't dead then they will be once this file is released.

Archived