"Traditional" food

Tazio

I've found since the cold weather started I've been cooking more and more old fashioned food.

For some reason the idea of a nice pasta dish or a curry has gone out the window and I'm making stews, casseroles etc.

Had a lovely bit of steak last night with spuds and mushrooms. And currently got some nice round steak on with lots of veggies in it cooking up into a nice thick stew.

I just can't face eating something that isn't hot and filling.

Aye same. Mince'n'Tatties, Stovies etc

Even for lunch, I know its bad but a sandwich just doesn't cut it compared to a pie and soup in this weather.

Aye same. Mince'n'Tatties, Stovies etc

Even for lunch, I know its bad but a sandwich just doesn't cut it compared to a pie and soup in this weather.

Huge pan of stovies was Sundays winter warmer. Made with the leftovers from the sunday roast.

Perfect.

Mince and tatties will be done within the next couple of days.

I've found since the cold weather started I've been cooking more and more old fashioned food.

For some reason the idea of a nice pasta dish or a curry has gone out the window and I'm making stews, casseroles etc.

Had a lovely bit of steak last night with spuds and mushrooms. And currently got some nice round steak on with lots of veggies in it cooking up into a nice thick stew.

Ditto. I've made corned beef hash in the old Dinwoodie style three times in the last week.

Steak pie ready to go tonight.

Yesterday I made beef olives with tatties, onion rings and Yorkshire puddings.

Like all my meat I buy it from the butchers. So much better than supermarket meat. :thumbsup:

It was fantastic.

The Mighty Thor

Yesterday I made beef olives with tatties, onion rings and Yorkshire puddings.

Like all my meat I buy it from the butchers. So much better than supermarket meat. :thumbsup:

It was fantastic.

Hmmmm Beef Olives......

drooling_homer.png

That's a clincher for me. I'm going to go my local butcher tomorrow and get the haggis stuffed ones he does thumbsup.gif

Hmmmm Beef Olives......

drooling_homer.png

That's a clincher for me. I'm going to go my local butcher tomorrow and get the haggis stuffed ones he does thumbsup.gif

Good man. :thumbsup:

You'll not regret it. Superb food. :thumbsup:

Beef olives....never tasted them....any good?

Honestly?

They are brilliant. Fill you right up too. You'll not be snacking later on in the evening. No need.

Get them bought. You know it makes sense. You'll not regret it. Guaranteed. :thumbsup:

Honestly?

They are brilliant. Fill you right up too. You'll not be snacking later on in the evening. No need.

Get them bought. You know it makes sense. You'll not regret it. Guaranteed. :thumbsup:

I will get some tomorrow..... :thumbsup:

do they go with tatties? :unsure:

They sure do. Mashed probably best but really any. :thumbsup:

I've got beef olives from Saunderson of Tollcross for my tea tomorrow night.

They'll be cooked with onion and carrots and served with mashed tatties and bashed turnip. Tremendous feed.

That's you sorted :thumbsup:

Best beef olives I've had are from Donaldson, butcher in Earlston. Tremendous.

For tea tonight it is Lentil and Bacon Soup.

Came in from work yesterday to a big bowl of homemade lentil soup, made with the bone of the lamb joint we had on Sunday.

Deelish.

Who makes the best Stovies?

As my granny and my mother used to make. With beef dripping and corned beef.

The other tradition in my mother's family was tripe and onion (cooked in milk) with mash potatoes.

And a big pot of thick yellow split pea soup made with a ham hock - peas pudding when cold with saveloy - my father's favourite.

I bought Stewing steak last week,an onion, mushrooms, bottle of Highland Stout, flour and stock cubes. Made a great stew, but do admit to cheating and buying ready to roll puff pastry for the pie.

blondejamtart

Who makes the best Stovies?

Ask 100 people how they make stovies and you'll get 100 different replies. Some folk make it with the leftovers from the roast (best way, i think), some make it with sausges, others with corned beef, etc etc. All depends what you prefer, I suppose...

Ask 100 people how they make stovies and you'll get 100 different replies. Some folk make it with the leftovers from the roast (best way, i think), some make it with sausges, others with corned beef, etc etc. All depends what you prefer, I suppose...

For me it is leftovers from the roast or sausages. I keep meaning to experiment with square sausage, don't see any reason for it not to work, might be a bit chewy though.

And regardless how good it is, it's never like how your mother made it.

My granny made the greatest scones but do you think I can replicate, can I bollox. I think it was that she used curdled milk (she had no fridge). Using buttermilk is no substitute.

Curry was both hot and filling last time I ate one. Which was an hour ago, and extremely tasty it was too. :)

Creepy Lurker

Not exactly traditional, but almost always having three cooked meals a day at the moment.

Today's lunch was a baked sweet potato with half a tin of tuna, some sliced cucumber and a couple of tablespoonfuls of natural yoghurt. Hit the spot like nothing on earth. Scrambled eggs with half a tin of healthy living baked beans for breakfast wasn't bad, but usually basing the old breakfasts around porridge at the moment.

blondejamtart

And regardless how good it is, it's never like how your mother made it.

My granny made the greatest scones but do you think I can replicate, can I bollox. I think it was that she used curdled milk (she had no fridge). Using buttermilk is no substitute.

My granny and my auntie both made their scones with curdled milk too and swore that was the best way. Mind you, my auntie had an old Aga which was the best-ever for baking.

Bread & Butter Pudding tonight. I reckon that's proper old school. Totally homemade, just not my hands.

As for stovies, beef dripping and leftover roast beef makes the best.

I make this a lot - It's Curried Stovies! Scottish/Indian Combo comfort food!

Have made it with Sausages and Leftover roast and it works with both.

ALOO GOSHT ? DELHI-STYLED LAMB COOKED WITH POTATOES

From Madhur Jaffrey?s Indian Cooking.

Few tablespoons of vegetable oil

6 oz (175 g) onions, finely chopped

1 fresh green chilli finely chopped

5 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2.2 lbs (1 kg) boneless lamb shoulder cut into pieces

1 can of tomatoes

1 Tbs ground cumin

2 tsps ground coriander

? tsp ground turmeric

? - 1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsps salt

1 lb (500 g) firm potatoes, peeled and cut in to 1" cubes

30 oz (900 ml) water

Fry everything up for a few minutes then bung in the liquids and simmer for half an hour - Magic!

If you don't have a big spice collection you can substitute all the individual spices for a decent Curry powder.

ArmiyaRomanova

Another stovies recipe - I came up with this about thirty years ago, loved it, and have returned to and ?refined? in the depths of winter ever since. I?ve not seen anything like it elsewhere.

I originally concocted it in a stoned attempt to get myself into the Sunday Post (don?t ask), entering their annual stovie-making competition with it. Turning up to the Edinburgh heat of the competition with the yellow-coloured dish in an orange tupperware container, I was greeted by competitors consisting entirely of female pensioners and schoolgirls (I stood a clear foot taller than them all in the press photo) who?d all aimed for the ?traditional? approach of potato, lard and beef dripping in a grey container. The judges took one look at my effort ? and presumably at me ? and wouldn?t dare taste it. Their loss, it was/is delicious. I did make it into the paper though.

This is great in a big gloopy pot on the stove during long cold winter nights -

STRANGE STOVIES (serves 4/5, or keep it to yourself over several nights ? it gets better with each reheating)

You will need : -

salt

pepper

vegetable oil

mixed herbs (teaspoon)

paprika (teaspoon)

cayenne pepper (teaspoon)

onion (medium-sized)

red pepper(medium-sized)

garlic (5 medium cloves)

potatoes (5 medium baking)

turnip/swede (medium-sized)

butter

milk

strong orange cheddar

frankfurters (pack of ten)

petit pois (large can)

Large cooking pot

Large frying pan or something similar

What you should do : -

Chop/cube the potatoes and turnip and boil in salted water until potato is soft enough to mash and turnip is ?al dente?.

Slice the onion, red pepper and garlic (either coarse or finely) and lightly fry in a tiny amount of vegetable oil, adding salt, pepper, mixed herbs, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Mash the potato and turnip together with milk and butter and cheddar cheese until a lumpy / gloopy, slow-bubbling consistency is achieved.

Stir in the mixture of onions, peppers, garlic and herbs.

Chop and add frankurters and petit pois.

Leave on low heat for ten/fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally. You should now have a large pot that, if left on the heat, will bubble and plop not unlike a hot mud spring.

Serve in a bowl if it won?t settle on a plate because you?ve over-milked the mixture.

Add pepper and salt to taste.

Enjoy!

steviefrailspants

Porridge for brekkie, soup and a roll for lunch and stew or a pie for tea.

Smashin'

Are you Oor Wullie ?

Are you Oor Wullie ?

I know not why but that made me chuckle out loud. smiliz19.gif

Archived