Joy Division & Factory records

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

What a band and label

I seen the film 'Control' the other day and now really getting into their tunes!

Disorder

She's lost control

Atmoshere

Shadow Play

The whole scene interests me. Some wicked times must have been had!

BoJack Horseman

Christ. not another one.

My flatmate's getting on my moobs since he saw that film. Sees himself as an old school Joy Division fan. I think he thinks he's liked them all his life and that he knows everything about them. In reality he's never mentioned them once until he saw the film. He has since bought a Joy Division t-shirt he wears pretty much everyday. This makes him 'cool'.

There's some band called The Wombats that sing a song called Let's all Dance to Joy Division. He constantly goes on about how it came out after the film so they musn't have known about Joy Division until they saw it, so it's totally false. Just like him I guess.

Anyway, yeah. Not seen Control, but I agree. Watch 24 hour party people. It's more about the scene at the time than just Ian Curtis. Good film.

Nelly Terraces
Christ. not another one.

My flatmate's getting on my moobs since he saw that film. Sees himself as an old school Joy Division fan. I think he thinks he's liked them all his life and that he knows everything about them. In reality he's never mentioned them once until he saw the film. He has since bought a Joy Division t-shirt he wears pretty much everyday. This makes him 'cool'.

There's some band called The Wombats that sing a song called Let's all Dance to Joy Division. He constantly goes on about how it came out after the film so they musn't have known about Joy Division until they saw it, so it's totally false. Just like him I guess.

Anyway, yeah. Not seen Control, but I agree. Watch 24 hour party people. It's more about the scene at the time than just Ian Curtis. Good film.

Nothing wrong with getting into a band later on, and if they've had a bit of exposure through a movie, fine. I'm 40 and have been into JD for all my formative years and adult life. I think it's brilliant that kids these days are getting into them and showing that the leagcy of their utterly brilliant and ground breaking music continues. Whats false about it? He can't of gotten into them before now due to his age, no no harm in getting into any band after you've found out about them by any means possible - fks sakes, I'm really geting into The Move right now, and they were in the charts when I was just being born in the 60s!

Fair play to Carl W and yer mate. Shows they've got taste. JD p*ss from a very great height on nonentities like the aforementioned Wombats who really are one of the worst bands I've heard in the last 5 years, truly appauling and so apt for the times, say fk all, change fk all, MTV sucking wannabe, derivative fluff. Will be forgotten about this time next year.

NT

PS, a certain poster on here from London Hearts, (clue: has a date as his jkb name) passed up the chance to see JD at, I think, Valentinos, back in the day. Cant mind why he never went, but it was something trivial. Bad move. Curtis killed himsel a coupla weeks later! So near but yet so far eh Davy:mw_rolleyes:!

BoJack Horseman

I'm not faulting his liking of JD, you got me wrong there. It's the attitude he's taken to it. Where he thinks he's cool because he likes them and looks down on people who don't. He also looks down on folk who only know them due to this film, wheras he's in the same boat. It's too hypocritical for me.

He turned it down? Christ. That would've been a story to tell the grandkids.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Yep, great band.

I was a bit too young for the whole Hacienda thing but I fecking wish I was around at the time!

Check out Pete Tongs essential mix in memory of Tony Wilson, it's top class.

Nelly Terraces
I'm not faulting his liking of JD, you got me wrong there. It's the attitude he's taken to it. Where he thinks he's cool because he likes them and looks down on people who don't. He also looks down on folk who only know them due to this film, wheras he's in the same boat. It's too hypocritical for me.

He turned it down? Christ. That would've been a story to tell the grandkids.

Ah, gotcha now mate, sorry. Bit of inverted snobbery going on there then. Give him a slap round the head for me!:)

Yes, I may have to alret Mr Allan to this thread and chortle as he rolls out the lame excuse he had for missing the gig! Just shows, you never know, if yer thinking 'Hmmm, think I'll give that gig down my local a miss tonight' , think again, they could be the next JD, then again, they could be the next ***** Wombats, so I'd stay at home instead!;)

Nelly Terraces
Yep, great band.

I was a bit too young for the whole Hacienda thing but I fecking wish I was around at the time!

Check out Pete Tongs essential mix in memory of Tony Wilson, it's top class.

That came a long time after Curtis died and JD changed to become New Order mate, still, I suppose from that late 70s to early 90's period, although completely different in terms of musical output, there is some kind of lineage and it was a bit of a golden era.

Mind you, Factory wasn't all shining with great bands, for every New Order or Mondays there was a god awful Wendys (never heard of them, then don't worry, you aint missing anything), and Tony W did miss out on signing 2 of Mancs greatest bands ever, The Fall and The Smiths.

Wouldn't ever have a go at the spirit of Factory though, genuinely maverick and independent, something you don't see much nowadays. Tony Wilson, what a diamond, really sad he has gone. RIP Tony.

NT

Walter Kidd
That came a long time after Curtis died and JD changed to become New Order mate, still, I suppose from that late 70s to early 90's period, although completely different in terms of musical output, there is some kind of lineage and it was a bit of a golden era.

Mind you, Factory wasn't all shining with great bands, for every New Order or Mondays there was a god awful Wendys (never heard of them, then don't worry, you aint missing anything), and Tony W did miss out on signing 2 of Mancs greatest bands ever, The Fall and The Smiths.

Wouldn't ever have a go at the spirit of Factory though, genuinely maverick and independent, something you don't see much nowadays. Tony Wilson, what a diamond, really sad he has gone. RIP Tony.

NT

BBC 4 showed a documentary made about Factory just before A H Wilson departed these shores.

The man should have been knighted. Makes you sick when you see McCartney and Fat Elton get them.

Burn the establishment.

Tony Wilson RIP.

blondejamtart

I was lucky enough to see Joy Division play live in Edinburgh (as you might have guessed, I'm of a similar age and punk era to NT) and have been a fan of theirs since the early days. Haven't seen Control yet, but read Touching From A Distance, Deborah Curtis' book on which it is based, so looking forward to seeing it. But I'm with NT - better than people are getting into their music now than missing out altogether (unless they're just bandwagon-jumping, which is stupid!)

Say What Again
Watch 24 hour party people

Good shout.

Was looking for some new stuff for the iPod so the soundtrack is downloading now.

New Charlatans album (free download) has a lot of New Order influence I think.

Prefer New Order to Joy Division to be honest.

Yes, I may have to alret Mr Allan to this thread and chortle as he rolls out the lame excuse he had for missing the gig!

If it was the gig at the Astoria, the reason he missed it was because it was cancelled (Curtis "unwell" I believe).

Or he skipped The Buzzcocks at the Odeon when Joy Division supported. But that was a good bit before Curtis committed suicide.

New Order played Valentino's on the Ceremony tour.

chester copperpot

I love Joy Division and New order, however if you were to ask me who I preferred, then its JD all the way.

Dont have a problem with the younger generation getting into it either. Just because they're young doesn't mean they cant have decent music tastes.

Carl Weathers

I've got 24hr party people winging its way to me this weekend and also had a listen to the factory mix - good stuff indeed.

I just really like the music. I'm a massive house head and don't really follow bands. The only others I really like are Grand National, Kasabian, Stone Roses, Rolling stones, Editors etc.

I really like the tunes on Substance. There's an edge to it, totally un-manufactured.

I won't be buying the T-shirt just yet but any recommendations music wise would be appreciated! :)

Btw how cool was Peter Hook back in the day? ;)

The Odeon gig was probably around nov 79, because I saw them at the Apollo about then. Blew the Buzzcocks off the stage in my opinion.

Carl Weathers
The Odeon gig was probably around nov 79, because I saw them at the Apollo about then. Blew the Buzzcocks off the stage in my opinion.

Why would a band call themselves the cocks anyway?;)

I've got 24hr party people winging its way to me this weekend and also had a listen to the factory mix - good stuff indeed.

I just really like the music. I'm a massive house head and don't really follow bands. The only others I really like are Grand National, Kasabian, Stone Roses, Rolling stones, Editors etc.

I really like the tunes on Substance. There's an edge to it, totally un-manufactured.

I won't be buying the T-shirt just yet but any recommendations music wise would be appreciated! :)

Btw how cool was Peter Hook back in the day? ;)

Are you looking for Joy Division recommendations, or "if you like Joy Division you'll probably like this" recommendations?

Nelly Terraces
If it was the gig at the Astoria, the reason he missed it was because it was cancelled (Curtis "unwell" I believe).

Or he skipped The Buzzcocks at the Odeon when Joy Division supported. But that was a good bit before Curtis committed suicide.

Would Mr Allan of London Hearts parish please report to this thread immediatley to answer the question!:)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

See the Sex Pistols are playing Live @ Lochlomond in the summer.

In America at the time so missing them. BOLLOX! :mad:

ArmiyaRomanova

Yeah, I had a ticket for that too.....

Suspect Device
NT

PS, a certain poster on here from London Hearts, (clue: has a date as his jkb name) passed up the chance to see JD at, I think, Valentinos, back in the day. Cant mind why he never went, but it was something trivial. Bad move. Curtis killed himsel a coupla weeks later! So near but yet so far eh Davy:mw_rolleyes:!

going the other way, i've got a mate who was at uni in Dundee around '76, stayed in digs which didnt have a shower, went down the students union one night with his mate for a shower and a couple of pints.

walked into the bar to see the Pistols playing

lucky *******

Adi Dassler

New Joy Division documentary coming out on May 2nd which will **** all over Control, which admittedly was one of the best films of last year. I've seen bits of it as it's already been released in Canada and Norway and it looks the business.

Told by the people who where there, including the mysterious Annik Honor? who never uttered a word about her relationship with Ian Curtis for 26 years.

I would recommend the book Torn Apart - The Life of Ian Curtis, by Lindsay Reade who was Tony Wilson's ex-wife (played by Shirley Henderson in 24HPP) in which Annik speaks for the first time. There are some amazing love letters from Ian to Annik in there.

Loved Joy Division long before Control, as for The Wombats........

ArmiyaRomanova

Told by the people who where there, including the mysterious Annik Honor? who never uttered a word about her relationship with Ian Curtis for 26 years.

Actually untrue - I know a couple of her close friends, and spoke with her at her birthday party in Bruxelles last year.

She's never refused to speak about her 'relationship' with Curtis (by her account a purely platonic one), and has answered anyone who got in touch with her to ask. It's just that no 'journalist' bothered to do so. She's never 'hidden' from anyone either - I have her email address, she's easily contactable.

Incidentally, she was one of the owners of the record label JD were signed to in Benelux, not a smitten journalist fawning over the band.

Blame the myth-mongering UK music press for all that. Still, it did make for a good story.

ArmiyaRomanova

Worth drawing folks attention to Les Temps Modernes, who are doing a fine job of excavating the lesser lights of the Factory roster and that whole scene, together with some other damn fine stuff....

http://www.ltmpub.freeserve.co.uk/ltmhome.html

Try out the 'Umbrellas In The Sun' dvd as a starting point, a decent 'historical' document.

http://www.ltmpub.freeserve.co.uk/compcat.html

And if you're really getting into it, try the 'Shadowplayers' dvd.

http://www.ltmpub.freeserve.co.uk/shadowplayersfilm.html

Fairly recent interviews with a number of the major players involved with Factory, dissecting the scene with dry Mancunian wit. It's all interview* footage though, no music.

*note: Annik Honore takes part in this. So, not hiding at all.

Remember doing a gig with my band with the late-great John Peel at Leicester Poly. He'd had a ruck with the student union over his appearance money. Every second record he played all night was Blue Monday. Nearly caused a riot.

Joy Division Astoria gig on 8th May 1980 was indeed cancelled due to Curtis's health.

Their only Edinburgh appearance was on 6th Oct 79 supporting the Buzzcocks - I was there for the Buzzcocks but didn't bother checking out the support band!!!

Have to say I was never a fervant Joy Division fan at the time but have cetainly grown to like them through time. They defo were innovative and should rightly claim a place in any UK "music awards for a band being ahead of their time" category, but like a lot of critically acclaimed british bands, they were guilty of writing a lot of *****e sngs as well!

Just like the Clash.

I have her email address, she's easily contactable.

quote]

- Ask her what her connection was with Josef K and Postcard records then please?

:cool:

ArmiyaRomanova

- Ask her what her connection was with Josef K and Postcard records then please?

:cool:

Sorry, but I'm not about to pester her with questions out of the blue on events 25+ years ago for someone I don't know. By saying that I've her email address, I merely wanted to make it obvious that she's not the enigmatic recluse that she's often painted as....

That said, I know that Josef K were involved with live events at Plan K in Bruxelles in the early 1980's, and released their final single on Les Disques Du Crepuscule, the Bruxelles-based label that Annik co-founded with Michel Duval. How the initial connection was made, I don't know, but since Annik and Michel were running shows at Plan K and it swiftly became a post-punk stop-off on any European tour, that's maybe how they met.

Fellow Scot Richard Jobson was also involved with Plan K and LDDC, so perhaps there was a connection there?

When Josef K split, relations must have been decent between band and label though - IIRC, after his Rhythm Of Life cassette, Paul Haig's first solo efforts were released on Crepuscule (or a Crepuscule off-shoot).

There's great pages on the label at....

http://home.wxs.nl/~frankbri/crestory.html

Carl Weathers
Are you looking for Joy Division recommendations, or "if you like Joy Division you'll probably like this" recommendations?

Probably both! :)

Nelly Terraces
On Returning (compilation) by Wire

Start there.

TOP shout! Great band, superb comp.

Could also try a bit of Gang of 4. If you like all things angular and clipped.

Good thread btw.

ArmiyaRomanova

A Wire comp is a great idea. Either that or 154, which IMHO is still their best album.

What about Magazine's 'Secondhand Daylight'.

Probably both! :)

The only Joy Division CD i have is a compilation called 'Substance', got it for ?4.97 in the now defunct Music Zone.

Superb purchase if i dont say so myself.

A Wire comp is a great idea. Either that or 154, which IMHO is still their best album.

What about Magazine's 'Secondhand Daylight'.

I will drug you and **** you on the Permafrost.

ArmiyaRomanova
I will drug you and **** you on the Permafrost.

Oh will you now....:confused::rolleyes:

By weird synchronicity, that was exactly the line running through my head as I looked at this thread again. Odd.

Archived