Motherwell Away

Martin_T

In the home game against Motherwell, JJ was completely out thought by Craig Brown. Motherwell double marked David Templeton, nulifying our main creative threat and won every 2nd ball from Kyle's flick on's, which curbed our goal scoring threat. So how does JJ out think Craig Brown for next week's game? Could he throw Brown off his pre-match strategy by not starting Kevin Kyle?

Italian Lambretta

Don't know but Motherwell are vulnerable at the momemnt.

However, to get in the mood for the game maybe someone can post video of the game at Motherwell where we came back to beat them 3-2 during the 98 season.

If I remember JJ was in his bed ill and we were struggling in the 1st half.

Would love to see it again.

Easy to overestimate the tactical genius or otherwise og football team managers. Sure they set up the team but it also depends on the players, how they feel on the day, the breaks you get or dont get at crucial stages of the game and how the referees perform. Motherwell have stuttered a wee bit fof late and might be more vulnerable to a good performance. Craig Brown got it right the last time but if he was such a tactical guru Motherwell would be in front of us rather than behind us.

Hopefully Jefferies knows a bit more about Motherwell than he did the last time. I feel relatively confident.

ToadKiller Dog

Wouldnt drop Kyle ,there back line is a bit shakey at this moment . the week side was the left against them ,Ruben has improved a little and Rudi has had more games . I think we are a far more solid team than the last game . If all fit i would keep the same 11 again.

If they double mark Temps again that will leave Elliott with space and hopefully Black and Rudi can exploit that .

Geoff Kilpatrick

I actually would play Two T's and One T up front and put Kyle on the bench. Movement is crucial to force their midfielders to play deeper and protect their defence. In addition, we are more likely to keep the ball on the deck.

Italian Lambretta

When you get to your mid 40's your memory begins to waver a bit :D

In 98 we won 4-2 it was my 1st away game with hearts

Outthink? Some folk are obsessed with tactics. The problem against Well wasn`t tactics but ill discipline from the players in the way they played. They lost focus on the ball and hit the easy out ball far too often.

We`ve moved on quite a bit since then and there`s definitely more concentration and discipline in our play. Desire, workrate and application will win more football games than being "out-thought"......

Outthink? Some folk are obsessed with tactics. The problem against Well wasn`t tactics but ill discipline from the players in the way they played. They lost focus on the ball and hit the easy out ball far too often.

We`ve moved on quite a bit since then and there`s definitely more concentration and discipline in our play. Desire, workrate and application will win more football games than being "out-thought"......

Modern football is a combination of the two I'm afraid. Part of the reason that Jose Mourinho has been so successful at the very top of football is that he is quite simply, one of the most tactically gifted managers ever to work in the game. If two teams match each other for work rate and desire (which should be a given) then it is how the teams are set-up and coached that ultimately will win the game.

There was no lack of effort from Hearts against Motherwell at Tynecastle, however the way Craig Brown had set up his team was crucial to their victory.

I actually would play Two T's and One T up front and put Kyle on the bench. Movement is crucial to force their midfielders to play deeper and protect their defence. In addition, we are more likely to keep the ball on the deck.

I wouldn't be averse to that. I also wouldn't be averse to it being Elliott and Glen...

Different game this time.Motherwell have a lot more to worry about than just Temps now.Keep the ball on the deck and they will have Rudi,Templeton,S Elliott all to worry about as well as Kyle if we serve him right.I honestly think we lost the Motherwell game more than them winning it.Not that I don't think the game will be tough but cut out the defensive lapses and I think we have a great chance.Let's us do a job on Humphries and Blackman and stop there danger.

scots civil war

the nullifying of blackman is crucial,and because its on tv it is a big game for him

he was the difference at tynecastle,a constant threat

ive saw enough of callum elliot recently to think that he has no will to impose himself on a match,never mind as important as this...

same team again for me altho id play stephen more deeper we need numbers and some intelligence in the middle

When you get to your mid 40's your memory begins to waver a bit :D

You think you've got problems!!!

You know you've got real problems when you can clearly remember the goals that Hearts scored against Partick Thistle in 1964, but can't remember who played in defence v Motherwell in the last game!

They did double up on Templeton last time but it had the affect of nullifying Humpries for the first hour of the match. Only when a slightly rusty and less than match fit Skacel came on did Humpries get the chance to run at our LB (to devastating effect). I would still play Temps, if they want to double up on him fair enough, leaves us with a bit more space to attack in other areas. Blackman is a major threat, have been impressed with him this season, hope he fecks off back to Blackburn sooner rather than later.

I would say that we play a different style than we did in the previous encounter. I would also say that most of our players are playing better than the last time we met. I would stick with what we are doing, I wouldn't change the team or the tactics for this one. What we are doing is working, stick with it and let them worry about us. :thumbsup:

A big game for Hearts this weekend. A win would put us six points above 'Well.

Our team is settled and firing (nearly) on all cylinders.

Here's a tactic: let's get stuck right into them.

They did double up on Templeton last time but it had the affect of nullifying Humpries for the first hour of the match. Only when a slightly rusty and less than match fit Skacel came on did Humpries get the chance to run at our LB (to devastating effect). I would still play Temps, if they want to double up on him fair enough, leaves us with a bit more space to attack in other areas. Blackman is a major threat, have been impressed with him this season, hope he fecks off back to Blackburn sooner rather than later.

I would say that we play a different style than we did in the previous encounter. I would also say that most of our players are playing better than the last time we met. I would stick with what we are doing, I wouldn't change the team or the tactics for this one. What we are doing is working, stick with it and let them worry about us. :thumbsup:

I agree. Our tactics have changed subtly since that game. Temps and Two Ts are playing a lot closer to Kyle in attack and so I think it would be lot harder to isolate him the way they did in the first game. Double marking Temps and Kyle will leave a lot of space down the left for Rudi and Steven, both of whom have got much closer to full fitness. Our defence and central midfield are also in much better shape than last time.

It should be an interesting game.

Chris Humphrey v Ruben is a worry.

I agree, all the more reason to play Temps on the left IMO. Hopefully Humprey will have more defensive duties to worry about.

Totally agree with u there.

At the game yesterday and Ruben didn't look himself and even when Kello had a go at him in the first half he was mouthing off to him.

Can't wait for Wallace to get back but just as long as he's 100% and not rushed in.

I agree, however, this is Jefferies own doing. We have had many chances to bring in a proper left back from either outwith the squad or within, we haven't and we continue to persist with Palazuelos. Palazuelos was decent going forward yesterday but I am not convinced with his defensive capabilities.

Not a chance Kyle will be left out unless he is injured. He is a key player and the leader of our side an given the game is likely to be tight like the game at Perth we will need him to work their back four in a physical sense as Elliott chases them down. He also contributes hugely in a defensive sense from set plays. After 4 wins on the bounce (and 6 in 7) the team picks itself. Play to our potential and at a tempo like Celtic and at times Hibs and we will win. Play sloppy and lazy football like we did against Killie and at times last week and this and we will be in trouble.

We_are_the_Hearts

This, just as was pointed out on here the last time before we played them. We have Zal this time though so he will have to make sure Ruben doesn't get isolated like Eggy did the last time.

ON a different note, Kyle is a must to start. He has been outstanding in all our away games. If you were a CH you would not want to face him, just ask Zander Diamond!

When we lost there last season, a kickbacker who's name rhymes with Narl Feathers came out with the following quote,

"Craig Brown may not be able to get an erection but he certainly does know how to beat Hearts".

:lol:

The current system is good hopefully this time we can be more aware of their threats.

It seemed as if we had not done our homework on their players.

We're a different proposition to deal with these days, so it's not going to be as easy for Broon to nullify us. Elliott and Skacel being on song has made us much more difficult to handle going forward.

SE was a key player again yesterday, despite not having a great game. He's so good at dragging defenders around and creating space.

No Zaliukas, Skacel not up to speed, two up front, two wingers and Eggert at LB against them last time and were hopelessly outmaneuvered in the middle of the park. We're better set up to pose them some problems now.

Nelly Terraces

As long as they know they're gonna get a game from that mob, and we get the sleeves rolled up and battle away, we have the nouse and skill to get 3 points. I think Kyle could actually do a job in this game, he'll deffo start, no question, I reckon big Kev will do the bizz next week and score. We're better than them, lets ***** show it and have it away with the points.

Motherwell are a good team but not a great team.

We need to remember what went wrong last time -- they used width to exploit our full back situation -- we had no answers and the middle of our defence was exposed -- Blackman has proven to be a very good loan signing and Humphrey plus Murphy caused us no end of problems last time.

They have a few other decent players but stop the supply and we can win the game.

We need to dominate the middle of the park and deny them as much possession as we can -- their weak point is the defence and if we can exert some pressure we can cause them problems.

I would like to think we have tightened up since the last match and are certainly far more confident going into this match -- I know its early but if we win this one I think it will be the springboard to a european place via league placing.

Modern football is a combination of the two I'm afraid. Part of the reason that Jose Mourinho has been so successful at the very top of football is that he is quite simply, one of the most tactically gifted managers ever to work in the game. If two teams match each other for work rate and desire (which should be a given) then it is how the teams are set-up and coached that ultimately will win the game.

There was no lack of effort from Hearts against Motherwell at Tynecastle, however the way Craig Brown had set up his team was crucial to their victory.

I know you need team shape and tactics but mostly what the players do is the most important. Did Rudi`s goal or even Temps come from great tactical nous from JJ?

Tactics can change in a game from one minute to the next as a game develops or what the managers see`s fit, but players individual talent and desire will only make tactics work and on the whole win you the game with their ability for a certain attribute.

As i`ve said before, the anti JJ mob quickly use "lack of tactical nous" or the "out-thought" fish when we get beaten.

Puting yourself in physically and mentally as an individual is more important. Having guts, having belief in your ability and the will to win. Not every team necessarily gives that every week or match the other teams level for it.

I have to admit, that I think we will come undone this weekend. I really hope I'm proved wrong, but I think we will lose.

I have to admit, that I think we will come undone this weekend. I really hope I'm proved wrong, but I think we will lose.

Thats it, hop aboard the happy train V!!! :blink: BELEEEEVE :thumbsup:

Archived