Hearts Goalie's

Meadows

from the obvious group to include but not exclusively....Cruickshank,Smith,Niemi,Gordon,Kello,Rousset,Balogh,Banks,etc,etc

After discussions with my laddie we have came up with:

1:Gordon

2:Cruickshank

3:Kello

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kello above Niemi?

I never seen Cruickshank so can't put him in my top 3.

I'd have it as

1) Gordon

2) Niemi

3) Kello

from the obvious group to include but not exclusively....Cruickshank,Smith,Niemi,Gordon,Kello,Rousset,Balogh,Banks,etc,etc

Kello over Niemi?????

SERIOUSLY??? :whistling:

Drylaw Hearts

Gordon

Niemi

Smith

Kello is probably better than Smith but you have to love H.

Worst...

Kurskis

Nelson

Walker

1. Gordon

2. Niemi

3. Rousset

Im still a bit of a youngster so didnt see some of the greats of the past that will probably be mention alot in this thread.

From those I've seen in my lifetime and the games I've watched.....

1. Gordon

2. Rousset

3. Niemi

I'd happily stick Henry in there for that pen save at Fester Rd.

Kello is working his way into the manlove everywhere... :thumbsup:

Gordon

Niemi

Smith

Kello is probably better than Smith but you have to love H.

Worst...

Kurskis

Nelson

Walker

I'd say Moilanen rivals Walker for 3rd spot there.

Atrocious goalkeeper.

We have ben lucky as Jambos. Some of the guys we have seen between the sticks have been quality.

I find it hard to choose between those suggested..

If pushed I would have to put it as a 3 way tie.

Cruikshank/Niemi/Gordon. However Kello may very well make a 4 way at some point soon.

Kello might just sneak into the top 5 in my lifetime.....

1. Gordon

2. Niemi

3. Rousset

4. Smith

5. Kello

ToadKiller Dog

Never saw Cruickshank play so cant add him .

In my time watching them at Hearts

Niemi

Gordon (he is/has becoming/become a better keeper than Niemi )

Kello

Special mention for Rousset and good old henry

Difficult one, because Gordon's best season was sandwiched between two less than great ones, whereas Niemi was more consistent in his two and a half years: yet Gordon's best season for me, was better than anything I've ever seen from a Hearts keeper.

Therefore, to go season for season, my top three (or five) would be:

3. Smith 85/86 (and 91/92)

2. Niemi 2001/02 (and 2000/01)

1. Gordon 05/06

ginger jambo98

1 cruikshank, the best by a mile

2 gordon, without a doubt one of the best now

3 niemi, a great signing

All of the above !!

tommythejambo

Hard to say for me really, there's been 3 class keepers in my lifetime, so it's really a desicion between them, can't really include Cruickshank or anyone like that, as much as I'd like to.

Have to go for:-

1) Gordon

=2) Niemi

=2) Rousset

Not really sticking my neck on the line here.

Being 19, I've only been watching Hearts for a relatively short period of time.

Niemi

Gordon

Rousset

Hard to differentiate between them. I've got very fond memories of all three, but I'd say Niemi just edges it for the top spot. Some of the saves he made during his time here were remarkable. You always felt like it was going to be a good day when he was between the sticks.

Kello above Niemi?

I never seen Cruickshank so can't put him in my top 3.

I'd have it as

1) Gordon

2) Niemi

3) Kello

Agreed :thumbsup:

fav hobo golie

1. Zibi

2. Mcneal

3. Macalamity :lol::lol:

loveofthegame

Gordon

Niemi

Rousset

Kello has been outstanding recently but to put him above any of those 3 is complete madness at this point. I have been a ST holder since i was 5 (1992) so can't really comment on the likes of the legendary Jim Cruickshank.

Cruickshank took your breath away week in week out and would be my number 1

Gordon will be better possibly than Cruickie once his career is over though, but for his time at Hearts I think he would be No. 2

Niemi was class as well but from what I see of Kello ( not enough unfortunately), I think he will rival him for number 3

Henry and Rousset were also great keepers - how lucky we have been over the years

Still remember Ray Dunlop and the slightly better Craig Nelson so it's not always wonderful but having witnessed that total nightmare from Kurskis when there was fear in the crowd ( and in Kurskis) every time an opposition player got the ball then I can safely say he was the absolute worst ever

However the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen at Tynie was Andy Goram who made about 10 world class saves to keep Hibs defeat down to 3-0 and it was the only time when I cheered a Hibs player. It was totally genuine and not a wind up as he was so brilliant. OK it wound that lot up but they are used to getting humped by us !

Craig Gordon

Jim Cruickshank

Antti Niemi

Giles Rousett a bit below these three but he would have been next on the list.

I was never a Henry fan, he displaced Broughie who I thought was going to be a great. This was through my teenage years and always through an alcohol cloud.

1. Gordon*

2. Niemi

3. Rousset.

Although not playing for Hearts naturally I thought CG's performance against Chelsea last week was near, if not perfect.

Nothing to do, but made one crucial save, and as is the norm, his judgement for cross balls was 100%.

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon

Thats my top 3.

Spoke to Sunderland fans while in Turkey this year.

Top of the list is Craig Gordon .

As far as they are bothered Craig Gordon is the NO1 first choice keeper for the black cats.

They said that Craig is the biggest player at the Club.

They said that Craig is the only player that is worth money.

they had notting but praise for him,

Carl Fredrickson

1 cruikshank, the best by a mile

2 gordon, without a doubt one of the best now

3 niemi, a great signing

In my lifetime I would agree with this.

All 3 are legends in their own right.

Equal no.1 Niemi and Gordon

Both fantastic keepers,impossible to choose between the two.

Cruickshank,only seen the tail end of his career so cant really comment.

Smith had to many mistakes, So Rousset would take 3rd place for me .

That said very impressed with Kello this season.

Cruickshank took your breath away week in week out and would be my number 1

Gordon will be better possibly than Cruickie once his career is over though, but for his time at Hearts I think he would be No. 2

Niemi was class as well but from what I see of Kello ( not enough unfortunately), I think he will rival him for number 3

Henry and Rousset were also great keepers - how lucky we have been over the years

Still remember Ray Dunlop and the slightly better Craig Nelson so it's not always wonderful but having witnessed that total nightmare from Kurskis when there was fear in the crowd ( and in Kurskis) every time an opposition player got the ball then I can safely say he was the absolute worst ever

However the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen at Tynie was Andy Goram who made about 10 world class saves to keep Hibs defeat down to 3-0 and it was the only time when I cheered a Hibs player. It was totally genuine and not a wind up as he was so brilliant. OK it wound that lot up but they are used to getting humped by us !

I remeber the hibs game when Goram was outstanding, I think it 3-1, the hearts fans in the crazy corner were singing, Andy, Andy, Andy.... I think it was the first time the home sponsors had ever given it to an away player. He was outstanding. Could have been about 10 that day it werent for him.

55 Years old

Jambo all my life

Neimi

Cruikshank

Gordon

Rousett

Henry

Just my opinion :thumbsup:

this_is_my_story

Bit disappointed at the lack of love for Henry in this thread, tbh.

I'm not old enough to have watched Cruikshank play for Hearts, but I can only say that I wish I had been. Rousset was something of a cult figure at Hearts, and will obviously never be forgotten - especially so for his role in the cup winning side of '98. Niemi was a fantastically talented goalkeeper. Craig Gordon - that save against Motherwell in 05/06 was the best save I've ever seen in the flesh at any game. But Henry's save from Coyne's header in '91 ran that a close second, as did his save from Malpas in the game up at Tannadice in '86. A superbly agile 'keeper was our 'Enry, and such was his rapport with the fans that he'll always be a favourite of mine.

Kello? Very competent 'keeper whose handling is pretty good, but I'm surprised to see his name appear so often in this thread, especially at the expense of Henry's.

Bit disappointed at the lack of love for Henry in this thread, tbh.

I'm not old enough to have watched Cruikshank play for Hearts, but I can only say that I wish I had been. Rousset was something of a cult figure at Hearts, and will obviously never be forgotten - especially so for his role in the cup winning side of '98. Niemi was a fantastically talented goalkeeper. Craig Gordon - that save against Motherwell in 05/06 was the best save I've ever seen in the flesh at any game. But Henry's save from Coyne's header in '91 ran that a close second, as did his save from Malpas in the game up at Tannadice in '86. A superbly agile 'keeper was our 'Enry, and such was his rapport with the fans that he'll always be a favourite of mine.

Kello? Very competent 'keeper whose handling is pretty good, but I'm surprised to see his name appear so often in this thread, especially at the expense of Henry's.

Henry was my number one. Much more than just a keeper. One of us.

This thread only goes to show how underrated Henry was/is.

I have never seen a better save than Henry v Tommy Coyne. And he had a similar save v Mark Hateley that never got any coverage.

Henry over Rousset, Niemi, Gordon or anyone for me.

And those "drop the ball" moments would never be allowed these days. Both blatant fouls on Henry.

1. Niemi

2. Gordon

3. Rousset

I think that Kello is very good and could make it into third place but he's not been here long enough for me to have him ahead of Rousset.

Guest jambomickey

we've been very fortunate with the quality of goalkeepers we've had, in my time following hearts id go for! 1. gordon 2. niemi 3.smith

chester copperpot

Any one who puts Rousset in their top 3 goalies of all time has no clue about goalkeeping. FACT.

He was average at best.

Guest jambomickey

Any one who puts Rousset in their top 3 goalies of all time has no clue about goalkeeping. FACT.

He was average at best.

cup winning legend andrew and some of the posters on here are not old enough to have seen some of the others.

In their time as Hearts keepers

Niemi

Gordon

Cruickshank.

However Gordon has got even better since moving south, and I think learned so much from Niemi, he's the best, but tomorrow it might be:

Gordon

Niemi

Crickshank.

Guest jambomickey

In their time as Hearts keepers

Niemi

Gordon

Cruickshank.

However Gordon has got even better since moving south, and I think learned so much from Niemi, he's the best, but tomorrow it might be:

Gordon

Niemi

Crickshank.

that's some progress in 24 hours. :lol:

He was average at best.

I was only 8 when Henry Smith last played for Hearts so it would be pretty stupid to include him. I had the choice of:

Craig Gordon

Gilles Rousset

Antti Niemi

Roddy McKenzie

Marian Kello

Steve Banks

Janos Balogh

Tepi Moilanen

Jamie Macdonald

Anthony Basso

Eduardas Kurskis

I really don't think that Kello has played enough yet to go in a "best ever" Hearts goalies list.

Archived