Levein on Craig Gordon

Simo

Not seen it mentioned here, just seen this on a Ranger's fan's Facebook. I've already been trolling him :lol:

Craig Gordon dropped

Thoughts?

Fair enough on recent form but wont last imo. Craig is the better keeper and once he's back playing every week will be back to number one I think (and hope!)

Not seen it mentioned here, just seen this on a Ranger's fan's Facebook. I've already been trolling him :lol:

Craig Gordon dropped

Thoughts?

Fair enough on recent form but wont last imo. Craig is the better keeper and once he's back playing every week will be back to number one I think (and hope!)

Levein is starting to get more and more on my tits every week

Craig Gordon dropped

Thoughts?

This isn't even a story.

It is clear Mcgregor is no1 for now. Gordon has been injured and Mcgregor did well in his absence. Normal service will restore soon enough.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Mcgregor has done well while Gordon's been out and is an able back up. But it won't be long before Gordon well and truly has the number 1 jersey back.

I really don't get it if MacGregor is number 1 then he really should be playing now no matter if it is the Faroes.It's not as if Gordon is a newbie and needs bleed in.Would we really not be better off playing Gilks

Sorry if I am missing something and MacGregor is injured

Levein is starting to get more and more on my tits every week

Same here.

He's also been a disaster as Scotland manager so far.

His tactics for the the Czech Republic game were about the stupidest I've ever seen in my life.

This isn't even a story.

It is clear Mcgregor is no1 for now. Gordon has been injured and Mcgregor did well in his absence. Normal service will restore soon enough.

Exactly, a non story aimed at the Rangers fans.

I don't have a problem with what Levein has said to be honest:

"When the competitive games come around next year, it will be who is fit and who is on form. At this minute, McGregor would edge it."

My interpretation of it is that whoever is performing come the next competitive game in 10 months time will be picked. I personally believe that will be Craig Gordon.

Levein was very close to letting CG go as a youth. Thankfully the youth coaches managed to talk him out of it. Might be a factor. Or alternatively he is keeping both keepers on their toes.

Levein was very close to letting CG go as a youth. Thankfully the youth coaches managed to talk him out of it. Might be a factor. Or alternatively he is keeping both keepers on their toes.

Unlikely to be a factor considering it was Levein who gave him his debut, it's more likely Levein not wanting to be accused of favouritism towards a player he obviously knows well

It was due to his height, He was not the biggest and it was a concern for Levien. By all accounts Gordon's dad taken a stretch when he was 16 or so, Hearts decided to gamble on the same thing happening to his son - and the rest is history,

Pretty sure that's what I read on here before.

It was due to his height, He was not the biggest and it was a concern for Levien. By all accounts Gordon's dad taken a stretch when he was 16 or so, Hearts decided to gamble on the same thing happening to his son - and the rest is history,

Pretty sure that's what I read on here before.

Saw the same thing in the papers too

Exactly, a non story aimed at the Rangers fans.

Don't know why CL would want to butter-up Rankers fans. Most of them (and their other half) don't give a sheet about the Scotland national team.

Its the sensible thing for him to declare.

McGregor played well in Gordons absense while Gordon was injured therefor he is number 1.

What plays into Craigs hands is that it will be 11 months between competitive fixtures so Levein can hardly use a game from nearly a year previous as reason for starting someone.

Gordon (if he stays injury free) is also coming up against better class opposition every week (lets face it Anelka and Torres over Mackie and Aluko) and will have to be number 1 pick.

Levein cant come out and say Gordon is number one because he would be slaughtered. I for one will be suprised if shagger plays v czech republic in september next year unless Gordon is injured again or makes a few uncharecteristic howlers beforethe game.

The quote said something like McGregor's number 1 based on form and fitness

Can't argue with that. But Gordon will be number 1 again shortly.

chester copperpot

I frigging hate to admit it, but the Shagger's form has been superb for both club and country this season. As much as I think Craig's the better keeper, its only fair that he has to dislodge McGregor as he has been playing very well.

To be fair to Levien he stated that at the time of the questionj Macgregor was no.1. The fact that Craig Gordon had a broken arm at the time has been forgoten.

Its up to Gordon to win his place back befopre the next game and he has been superb so far.

chester copperpot

A clean sheet away to Chelsea certainly won't harm his chamces. I think Sunderland will be much harder to beat with their No:1 back in goals.

Interviewer - do you still consider yourself as Scotland Number 1

Gordon - Yes,I have got to or why bother turning up.

Levein isn't helped by the fact the media completely hype up every mediocre save McGregor makes whilst ignoring his mistakes.

I couldn't believe that none of the press spotted his role in the third Spain goal for instance. At the game it was clear to me that he had started coming for the cross, changed his mind and got left in no-man's land. Whilst McManus was clearly the main culprit, McGregor could have either come to claim a looping cross that eventually fell to ground level inside the 6 yard box or stayed on his line giving him more time to position himself to react to the shot. All he managed to do was take himself out of the game and potentially distract the defence.

Spain's 3rd Goal - McGregor not blameless

I think MacGregor could have saved Spains 2nd goal as well if he stayed on his line. Positional sense seems to be a problem for MacGregor.

MacGregor = Great shot stopper,everything else is a little lacking.

jamboinglasgow

Controversial I know, but I think some of McGregors recent performances have been over-rated. Not saying they were bad as they were good but not as good as they are made out to be (if that makes sense.)

Controversial I know, but I think some of McGregors recent performances have been over-rated. Not saying they were bad as they were good but not as good as they are made out to be (if that makes sense.)

What is controversial about that ? It is the truth. This guy is so over rated and talked up by the press it is unbelievable. He is not in the same class as CG that is why he is still playing in the SPL.

As for CL he has turned into a right arsehole since he got the Scotland job IMO.

I frigging hate to admit it, but the Shagger's form has been superb for both club and country this season. As much as I think Craig's the better keeper, its only fair that he has to dislodge McGregor as he has been playing very well.

Sorry? Did you see his performance against Hibs last week?

kingantti1874

Goalkeeper is a position in that the player in possession of the jersey has to fcuk up or get injured before you can drop him, Craig Gordon is undoubtedly the better keeper and person and it's only a matter of time but for now it AMs jersey to lose... He is a complete ###### but no one can deny that he has done well for Scotland

Guest Bilel Mohsni

No new news in the article and the headline does not match the content... Also there is a picture of Craig Levein on the right with the caption: "Boss, Craig Gordon" underneath it...

Why do people read the Sun again? Oh yeah... 'Boobs'... How very apropriate. :ninja:

Jambo in Yorkshire

Levein has just been on Talksport and was asked about Hearts and Hibs doing well recently - his response was along the lines of it would make a good book what's happened at Hearts but he was delighted for Colin Calderwood getting two great results at Hibs

No mention of our two (three) recent results - sounded a bit bitter.

Goalkeeper is a position in that the player in possession of the jersey has to fcuk up or get injured before you can drop him, Craig Gordon is undoubtedly the better keeper and person and it's only a matter of time but for now it AMs jersey to lose... He is a complete ###### but no one can deny that he has done well for Scotland

He's doing well, at his level, but not as well as CG had done for his previous 35 caps (he had a dodgy start as a 21 year old). I don't recall any mistakes, real lucky breaks from errors of judgement, petulance and indiscipline in those 35 games.

McGregor can't say the same.

The Lithunian game is his only perfect game since being in the team.

Levein isn't helped by the fact the media completely hype up every mediocre save McGregor makes whilst ignoring his mistakes.

I couldn't believe that none of the press spotted his role in the third Spain goal for instance. At the game it was clear to me that he had started coming for the cross, changed his mind and got left in no-man's land. Whilst McManus was clearly the main culprit, McGregor could have either come to claim a looping cross that eventually fell to ground level inside the 6 yard box or stayed on his line giving him more time to position himself to react to the shot. All he managed to do was take himself out of the game and potentially distract the defence.

Spain's 3rd Goal - McGregor not blameless

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here too but look at McGregor's positioning for the Liechtenstein goal. McManus took all of the blame for backing off (and he's rightly entitled to most of it) but he does cover 90% of the goal. The ONLY place the striker could have scored, he did and McGregor was standing right behind McManus having had time to assess the situation.

I'm 100% biased in this debate.

Don't know why CL would want to butter-up Rankers fans. Most of them (and their other half) don't give a sheet about the Scotland national team.

It's for the Ranker's fans in the media!!!!

Oh aye! And those in the GFA!

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here too but look at McGregor's positioning for the Liechtenstein goal. McManus took all of the blame for backing off (and he's rightly entitled to most of it) but he does cover 90% of the goal. The ONLY place the striker could have scored, he did and McGregor was standing right behind McManus having had time to assess the situation.

I'm 100% biased in this debate.

Swedish second goal.

Managed to get his hands over the top of the ball, and push it right back into the danger area. I.e he had a lot of time

Other options included:-

Catching it - harsh I agree

Pushing it over the bar

Pushing it into the air to give him time to get back on his feet.

Push it away from goal

On the face of it, it was a good save as he was exposed, but it actually took some doing to put the ball back to exactly where it come from.

I'm 100% biased, but I am also 100% correct in my belief McGregor's Scotland performances aren't anywhere close to Craig's.

McGregor is a very good instinctive stopper, no more. It's quite sad that so many people judge goalkeepers on this attribute alone and discard discipline, decision making, ability to learn from mistakes and patience. McGregor is miles behind Gordon on all these counts.

One is also a top human being and the other a piece of dog poo.

Swedish second goal.

Managed to get his hands over the top of the ball, and push it right back into the danger area. I.e he had a lot of time

Other options included:-

Catching it - harsh I agree

Pushing it over the bar

Pushing it into the air to give him time to get back on his feet.

Push it away from goal

On the face of it, it was a good save as he was exposed, but it actually took some doing to put the ball back to exactly where it come from.

I'm 100% biased, but I am also 100% correct in my belief McGregor's Scotland performances aren't anywhere close to Craig's.

McGregor is a very good instinctive stopper, no more. It's quite sad that so many people judge goalkeepers on this attribute alone and discard discipline, decision making, ability to learn from mistakes and patience. McGregor is miles behind Gordon on all these counts.

One is also a top human being and the other a piece of dog poo.

This frustrates me aswell. Shot stopping is the basic fundemetal of goalkeeping and it is something that all goalkeepers at all levels must be good at to play in that position. As you say, it is their ability in other areas that determine how good goalkeepers are.

I wonder if other positions in the squad will come under the same scrutiny or will it still be a case of play for the OF better chance to play for Scotland.

This frustrates me aswell. Shot stopping is the basic fundemetal of goalkeeping and it is something that all goalkeepers at all levels must be good at to play in that position. As you say, it is their ability in other areas that determine how good goalkeepers are.

4 years on from being Rangers No.1 and McGregor is still taking fly digs at people (McGuire, Bednar and a guy in the Spanish game)and poor decision making under the cross ball (Spain and the mother of a howler of a game v. Valencia).

Indeed I'd argue if you took a step back, McGregor isn't improving as quick as he should as a keeper and the gap between him and Gordon is widening. He does have a filthy (and stupid) media juggernaut behind him which helps.

craig gordon two games back and has a clean sheet against chelsea......

mcgreggor the on form keeper.... lost three goals against hibs....

theres no doubt gordon will be number 1 again soon enough.

Francis Albert

Levein has just been on Talksport and was asked about Hearts and Hibs doing well recently - his response was along the lines of it would make a good book what's happened at Hearts but he was delighted for Colin Calderwood getting two great results at Hibs

Strange response. Still, the early chapter about exactly why their manager walked out bang in the middle of their most important sequence of European games for years would be interesting.

Interviewer - do you still consider yourself as Scotland Number 1

Gordon - Yes,I have got to or why bother turning up.

McGregor would not take no for an answer either.

Seymour M Hersh

If he is bitter you have to wonder why as he was the one that left us in the lurch and was not pushed out.

Archived