Were We first to put the poppy on the shirt

Jamie_the_Jambo

Jamie_the_Jambo

I dont ever remember teams having the poppy on their shirts prior to Hearts doing so 5 years or so ago. Now everyone is doing it, it seems. I remember there were exactly 100 shirts made for the rememberence dinner cos my friend was there and got one. Some were raffled for charity afterwards. That was roughly 5 years ago, maybe 4?

So, were Hearts first to do this?

I dont ever remember teams having the poppy on their shirts prior to Hearts doing so 5 years or so ago. Now everyone is doing it, it seems. I remember there were exactly 100 shirts made for the rememberence dinner cos my friend was there and got one. Some were raffled for charity afterwards. That was roughly 5 years ago, maybe 4?

So, were Hearts first to do this?

I think it was 07/08 season (The first umbro one) It has the poppy with remember below and the names of the hearts players on the sleeve.

I have one of these which cost me a lot of money. I have heard that there are some fakes going about too. Hope mine is a real one.

I think it was 07/08 season (The first umbro one) It has the poppy with remember below and the names of the hearts players on the sleeve.

I have one of these which cost me a lot of money. I have heard that there are some fakes going about too. Hope mine is a real one.

There were only 18 matchday ones made for the game against Aberdeen and another 100 made with less detail.

I remember bidding the contents of my student bank account on Kingston's shirt (about ?400) and being soundly beaten.

There's some bawbag trying to punt fake ones on eBay though along with other pieces of club 'memorabilia'.

When Jack Alexander did his speaking bit at the McCrae's Battalion lunch, He said hearts were the first team in Britain to have a poppy strip.

For anyone who hasn't got this years one Jack said it will be the only one ever to have a picture of the cairn at Contalmasion on it. He has the rights to the drawing and it will not be reproduced again.

Indeed we were.

However is it right to be scoring points over poppies? The point is for people to FREELY choose to remember, not for this to be imposed by anyone. Let's face it without Jack Alexander many Hearts fans would have known nothing of this story as it had been forgotten by so many. I cannot understand why folks ignore their teams history to be honest!

We are today in danger of imposing poppies everywhere, in the media, Tv and the like, just because it is the done thing. It MUST be a free choice and without that it is worthless.

While it's an admirable cause, lt's not make too much of a deal about it.

Firstly, as has already been said, poppies should not be used for point scoring. Their message is clear nd it's a good one. Let the image of the poppy tell it's on story, to remember those who gave their lives. Not to remember the 1st football team to put them on their strip.

Secondly, being the "1st team to put a poppy on our shirt" reeks of Hoboness ie. "First team to have floodlights" etc.

Indeed we were.

However is it right to be scoring points over poppies? The point is for people to FREELY choose to remember, not for this to be imposed by anyone. Let's face it without Jack Alexander many Hearts fans would have known nothing of this story as it had been forgotten by so many. I cannot understand why folks ignore their teams history to be honest!

We are today in danger of imposing poppies everywhere, in the media, Tv and the like, just because it is the done thing. It MUST be a free choice and without that it is worthless.

Well said. And where does it stop? Gangs beating up folk because they don't have a poppy on their person? Don't laugh - it is the feeling I've gotten from one or two on here.

Rudolf's Mate

It's getting to the point where you can't ask a question about something in fear of others taking it on some point scoring super thread!

Jeez people. All the op asked was were we first? Do people always have to look for the negative in things? I was curious who was the first and it was not because I wanted to tell all and sundry that it was us.

ernie winchester

It's getting to the point where you can't ask a question about something in fear of others taking it on some point scoring super thread!

Jeez people. All the op asked was were we first? Do people always have to look for the negative in things? I was curious who was the first and it was not because I wanted to tell all and sundry that it was us.

My own thoughts exactly. I found the OP's question interesting and was interested to read what others' had to say, not because I want to go point-scoring... just interested, as I'm sure the OP is. Give the guy a break.

I'm sure I remember us wearing a poppy on our shirt up in Aberdeen years and years ago?

We did because we were pissed off the game clashed with the memorial service so put the poppy on shirt instead.

My own thoughts exactly. I found the OP's question interesting and was interested to read what others' had to say, not because I want to go point-scoring... just interested, as I'm sure the OP is. Give the guy a break.

Jack Alexander thought it was interesting enough to merit a mention in his speech yesterday at the Remembrance Lunch and he'd be the last person on earth to encourage the use of poppies for point scoring amongst supporters of football clubs.

I understand people getting touchy about the subject, it does have to be handled carefully and with appropriate respect, but the OP was simply asking a question. Slight overreaction....

Winnipeg Willie

When Jack Alexander did his speaking bit at the McCrae's Battalion lunch, He said hearts were the first team in Britain to have a poppy strip.

For anyone who hasn't got this years one Jack said it will be the only one ever to have a picture of the cairn at Contalmasion on it. He has the rights to the drawing and it will not be reproduced again.

Glad I got mine when I did then ... very happy with it. Excellent quality. Only took a week to cross the Atlantic! Don't know how many times I've given a brief history behind it too!

by asking if we were first suggests that we have bragging rights or are better than other teams. it shouldn't be the focus

FFS, the guy was only asking a question.

I don't know any Hearts fan that tries to use the remembrance thing as 'point-scoring.' Guys died a horrible death. We remember them. Thats all.

broughies tach

Hearts first wore a poppy on their shirts on the 9th November 2003 (the Asics grey and white job). I seem to remember that a team in England (Bolton ?) had worn them before that but I think Hearts were the first in Scotland

Jamie_the_Jambo

I was curious as to who was the first. My point was not a scoring point one at all. What I was saying although I didnt actually say it was how amazing this thing took off ! Hearts produced the shirts to reflect on our teams sacrifice which has been hijacked by every team in the country to make more money selling shirts.

Thats all.

Do I get a point ?

There were only 18 matchday ones made for the game against Aberdeen and another 100 made with less detail.

I remember bidding the contents of my student bank account on Kingston's shirt (about ?400) and being soundly beaten.

There's some bawbag trying to punt fake ones on eBay though along with other pieces of club 'memorabilia'.

Just to say i was the successful bidder and believe it or not the b*gger didnt even wash it!!

Archived