Kello

scott_jambo

Me too - maintained right from the word go that he should be our No 1 keeper and stand by that now.

Likewise, and against the usual tired clich? trotted out here that all three 'keppers are as average as each other.

article-1178529-04D9B312000005DC-970_468x286.jpg

He's not as good as some we've had in the last 20 years (Smith, Niemi, Rousset, Gordon) but he's a hell of a lot better than others (Nelson, various other Romanov imports).

Interestingly, is he the only "real" (as in actually used to play for them regularly)Kaunas player who's come to Hearts and been a success?

Anyway, he's having a very good season.

He still has a funny shaped head though.

He's not as good as some we've had in the last 20 years (Smith, Niemi, Rousset, Gordon) but he's a hell of a lot better than others (Nelson, various other Romanov imports).

We really have been spoilt over the years between the sticks haven't we!? would agree Marian isn't up to those guys standards (yet...) but certainly no shame in that!

With the list of truly great keepers there, any new goalie we have has a lot to live up to and I think that burden has been too much for some. Smacks a bit of the "New Kenny Dal" Celtic continually fail to produce (Simon Donnelly was a decent player but wasn't helped by that tag), or the "New Maradonna" syndrome in Argentina which arguably held back the likes of Ortega and Saviola.

Anyway, I digest. Well done Marian and keep it up. Not sure the Utd keeper is better than him, so a full callup could be on the cards soon I hope.

Not unlike my mate Nige's mum - he lets in everything but the balls and that's all we ask for in a goalie (and/or pals mum)

Interestingly, is he the only "real" (as in actually used to play for them regularly)Kaunas player who's come to Hearts and been a success?

Anyway, he's having a very good season.

He still has a funny shaped head though.

I think time has been very kind to Gilles Rousset.

Don't get me wrong, he was capable of having great games, crucially in the '98 cup final and in such games as the 1996 CCC win over Celtic; and generally, he was excellent throughout 1995/96.

But he was, imo, the weak link in our 97/98 team (bar the cup final), and for a season and a half after that (until we sign Niemi), he was a shadow of his former self, often rooted to his line.

By the time we signed Niemi, we were desperate for a new goalkeeper.

I would have no hesitation in putting Kello ahead of Rousset.

Don't get me wrong, he was capable of having great games, crucially in the '98 cup final and in such games as the 1996 CCC win over Celtic; and generally, he was excellent throughout 1995/96.

But he was, imo, the weak link in our 97/98 team (bar the cup final), and for a season and a half after that (until we sign Niemi), he was a shadow of his former self, often rooted to his line.

See what you're saying post-98, but it should be remembered that Gilles was something like 32/33 when he signed (i think). His first couple of years at the club he was excellent and you could see the class of player he had been and still was at that time. A real coup. You could say a similar thing about Henry's last few years (although i think Henry went on a bit longer than Gilles), but I guess the difference was that we saw Henry throughout his entire career.

Snake Plissken

Marian Kello is great.

Handling, reflexes and much improved kicking make him one of the best goalkeepers in the land right now.

Balogh is certanly not pish, he can make grerat saves too but he isn't as good as Kello.

We should be pleased to have decent back up for a very good goalkeeper.

Marian Kello is a great goalkeeper. One of the best in the SPL.

I don't mind Balogh but he's not as good as Kello.

Sign him onto a bumper deal now, I say and watch the ? signs add up once he gets a few caps for Slovakia (specially since their number 1 is warming the bench for Everton)

Johanes de Silentio

Don't agree with this at all!

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

That's the goalies job is it not :whistling:

Many Hibs supporters are unaware of this simple fact. But then, they've had so many examples suggesting the opposite.

We've managed to put together a history of cracking keepers and he's certainly helping to maintain that fine tradition. You spend a while watching new goalies and having wee panics when they don't do things you expect but then after a while, if they're good, you tend to relax and forget to do that. You just trust them to do the right thing and rely on them to deal with whatever is thrown at them. That's where I am with Kello these days, I trust our keeper. thumbsup.gif

a safe pair of sells

Don't agree with this at all!

Me neither, Kello is doing brilliantly and hopefully he ain't peaked yet.(PS he's due an error, but so are all "Door men" at one time or another, so i hope we don't get lots of "Kello's crap" chat when one comes along) Rousset was suberb for the JTs, don't taint my wonderful memories of a true gent and great goalie, please!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

As ah said earlier, it shows how good a keeper he is when... You actually expect him to save a clear goal-scoring oportunity... I actually fully exxpect him to these days.

Smashing keeper!

Me neither, Kello is doing brilliantly and hopefully he ain't peaked yet.(PS he's due an error, but so are all "Door men" at one time or another, so i hope we don't get lots of "Kello's crap" chat when one comes along) Rousset was suberb for the JTs, don't taint my wonderful memories of a true gent and great goalie, please!

Loved Rousset but it always amazes me when i see old clips of games and the amount of soft goals he lets in.Agree with BB post.

a safe pair of sells

Loved Rousset but it always amazes me when i see old clips of games and the amount of soft goals he lets in.Agree with BB post.

Ye OK fair play, but do you get my point with Kello? it seems like he's got a thick skin anyway, but when the big error comes, we as fans must shake it off and not start any, "he's not good enough" dross. As there seems to be a few whom are not convinced by him. Keep it Mellow Kello.

:thumbsup:

john brownlee

doing well more clean sheet than not, as the great gordon Banks once said its not the ones you save that count its the ones you dont

we seem to have a nack of finding or preducing excelent keppers long may it last

If we get offered nine million pound for him we should bite the clubs arm off for it.

I fixed that post for you, I hate when my keyboard plays up like yours did ...

Rudolf's Mate

I've had to rely on telly mostly for my view but in the lead up to the head knock game his kicking was totally suspect to say the least. Then he had the game in which he had te head knock and people decided that he was a bombscare. Rightly or wrongly IMO a keeper who can't kick a ball is a disaster waiting to happen and it doesn't matter how good he is at the rest of his game. Despite this Kello has managed to pull it out the bag bigtime and has shown he is the complete package.

In summary - people saying he was gash had foundation however people saying he was class possibly seen that he had the potential to become what he has. Both valid ?

Been outstanding this season, major improvements from the last few seasons he's had. Seems to be full off confidence now and he's one top shot stopper as well. Also his coming out for crosses has really improved big time. All round great keeper.

Keep up the good work Kello :thumbsup:

Well I have always thought Kello was a decent replacement for Gordon. And he's a better keeper than Balogh. It would not do him any harm to loan him out to Bristol City cos I'd rather have him than that clown James.

Archived