No More Veterans?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Why are there so very few veteran players in the SPL anymore?

I was discussing this with a mate the other day how in the past Hearts youngsters could learn from veteran players like Alex MacDonald, Sandy Jardine, Roddy McDonald, Chopper McLaren, Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clark, Willie Johnston etc.

Even as recently as their 9 in a row team of a decade ago Rangers had players like Goram, Brown, Gough, Robertson, McCall, Gasgoigne, Hately, Durie, McCoist & Durrant playing well into their 30's.

Now it seems as if these types of player hardly exist at all anymore - or at least a rare commodity.

Nowadays at Hearts we have Steve Banks & Neil McCann whilst Pressley & Hartley wind down their careers at Celtic - Rangers have Weir & Dailly but that's about it really, I can't think of too many more?

But where are all the other senior / veteran players?

rudi_is_a_goal_machine

no room for passengers these days. players are alot fitter in the modern game. in my opinion anyway.

Charlie-Brown

I am not saying they don't exist but there are far far fewer playing in the SPL than before - do players drop down the leagues or retire earlier these days?

RockyBalboa
I am not saying they don't exist but there are far far fewer playing in the SPL than before - do players drop down the leagues or retire earlier these days?

Suppose it depends how well players look after themself during there careers which isn't good in Scotland.

The EPL have loads of them as does the championship.

Lee Wilkie and Darren Dods at Dundee Utd as well.

Maybe Romanov thinks we don't need any. After all any veterans might have opinions and we can't have that at Fortress Tynecastle. Only the Fuhrer's opinion counts.

Charlie-Brown

Maybe Romanov thinks we don't need any. After all any veterans might have opinions and we can't have that at Fortress Tynecastle. Only the Fuhrer's opinion counts.

Lee Wilkie is still a few years short of 30 :mw_rolleyes:

Still a veteran. Been around for years.

Anyway, I assume this thread is a "Why the Fuhrer is right in outing smelly old veteran players who can't be trusted to get their teams to the CIS Cup Final" or whatever?

RockyBalboa

:) Dodds isnt that old too.

Brewster, Jackie McNamara and what about Gary Wales/Locke.

Drylaw Hearts

Dods is only 32 !!

He was in my class at school.

Veteran indeed. :rolleyes:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
:) Dodds isnt that old too.

Brewster, Jackie McNamara and what about Gary Wales/Locke.

Mate he is only 29!!

Gigolo-Aunt

Would love Hearts to sign a player of the Disser Pointer "vetern" mould.

Someone over 30

Good talker

Good organiser

Lots of experience

Plays for the jersey

Good solid defender

Drylaw Hearts
Would love Hearts to sign a player of the Disser Pointer "vetern" mould.

Someone over 30

Good talker

Good organiser

Lots of experience

Plays for the jersey

Good solid defender

We had someone just like that.

Another frickin mess - one which we've never recovered imo.

Gigolo-Aunt
We had someone just like that.

Another frickin mess - one which we've never recovered imo.

Fysass?

Fysass was quality, mate - did get the impression that he was on his last legs towards the end though.

Think he has hardly kicked a ball in months over in Greece.

Toxteth O'Grady

Maybe it's got something to do with the pace of the game now and how players are expected to chase after every ball and close down opposition players as soon as they get the ball.

There are probably not that many that have the skill now to play a decent game without running around like a headless chicken.

Toxteth O'Grady
Fysass?

Fysass was quality, mate - did get the impression that he was on his last legs towards the end though.

Forgotten about Elvis already?

Charlie-Brown
Still a veteran. Been around for years.

Anyway, I assume this thread is a "Why the Fuhrer is right in outing smelly old veteran players who can't be trusted to get their teams to the CIS Cup Final" or whatever?

Your obviously just creating your own reality. :confused:

The reason for the thread was that MagicT's & I were chatting the other day and he said he wished that Gary Glen & Hearts other young strikers had a Jimmy Bone or Sandy Clark to learn the ropes from....I said I didn't think any (very few) players like that existed anymore.....hence this thread.

Drylaw Hearts
Fysass?

Steven Pressley.

Charlie-Brown
Steven Pressley.

I think you'll find it's spelt 'Phressley' according to some (chelsea avatars) on here. :P

Drylaw Hearts
I think you'll find it's spelt 'Phressley' according to some (chelsea avatars) on here. :P

I get the impression they're not keen on Celtic.

Charlie-Brown
I get the impression they're not keen on Celtic.

Probably..... maybe they played for Celtic Boys Club East as kids? :mw_rolleyes:

Dods is only 32 !!

He was in my class at school.

Veteran indeed. :rolleyes:

So you went to Broughton then DH:p

Drylaw Hearts
So you went to Broughton then DH:p

Yes I did.

I was far too clean to go to Craigroyston.

Why are there so very few veteran players in the SPL anymore?

I was discussing this with a mate the other day how in the past Hearts youngsters could learn from veteran players like Alex MacDonald, Sandy Jardine, Roddy McDonald, Chopper McLaren, Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clark, Willie Johnston etc.

Even as recently as their 9 in a row team of a decade ago Rangers had players like Goram, Brown, Gough, Robertson, McCall, Gasgoigne, Hately, Durie, McCoist & Durrant playing well into their 30's.

Now it seems as if these types of player hardly exist at all anymore - or at least a rare commodity.

Nowadays at Hearts we have Steve Banks & Neil McCann whilst Pressley & Hartley wind down their careers at Celtic - Rangers have Weir & Dailly but that's about it really, I can't think of too many more?

But where are all the other senior / veteran players?

In those days how many overseas players where in the league compared to now?

Charlie-Brown

Just watching the Celts v Aberdeen game - is there any players on the pitch who are even 30 yet?

Where do all the veteran players go now?

shaun.lawson

Football's just far more demanding nowadays. Plus, Bosman led to all clubs turning over players much more quickly, and as Horse has suggested, mainly for reasons of economics, a lot more foreign players ply their trade in the UK now too.

Don't want to tempt fate ahead of Saturday but I still reckon Latapy is one of the best midfielders in the country - and he almost qualifies for a bus pass

Archived