Hibs 0 Hearts 3 - First Edinburgh Derby after Wallace Mercer Takeover Attempt

Deodato

JKB,

Cant thank p0ab2 enough for a vintage collection of Hearts footage circa 1990-96 - only just come across it, so apologies if its old news.

In particular, he's got the game I never made - the 3-0 match which followed the failed Hibs merger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVw6ZhrDq_E

I got to every game that season except this one, and can remember my brother and Dad coming back with tales of an "eventful" afternoon.

Were you there? I'd be seriously grateful for memories of what happened on and off the pitch. How mental was it?

Deodato

PS: So strange to hear the words Sneddon, Hunter and the like after all these years.

Cappuccino Kid

One of the great derbies. Pity we took our foot of the gas at half-time. I'm sure it was to prevent any more trouble from the wee team.

Great day, we ruled the pitch and we ruled the terracing. I'm going to sell my house mt car and my wife just so I can have my willy cut off, buy a ###### and shar John Robertson. A bloody god!!! FTH

I was there (in the Main Stand enclosure) and it was 'eventful' indeed.

In fact, watching the online footage again last night, I realised I had forgotten the players had left the pitch due to the crowd trouble.

And loved the way the cops led some hobo out of the ground along the front of the Dunbar :thumbsup:

I was at this game and it was one of the best ever. I was convinced Robbo had scored a hat-trick.

Same! The debate on the way out of Easter Rd was whether he'd scored 3, 2 or just 1.

Atmosphere was ELECTRIC! They were so so so angry, and that was before the game. They needed to win SO badly to get it right up Wallace and support the Hands off Hibs campaign. Hearts fans had an absolute ball before the game but needed the team to perform on the pitch to back it up ...... and they did :lol:

Great game

i don't remember it being that bad. I was in the corner nearest the hibs fans and it wasn't the riot stv and chick made it out to be at the time.Just a few hot headed hibs fans pushing down and hurting their own fans.

I remember scotsports jim white looking back at the footage with the panel talking about a riot and several pockets of trouble and there right in the middle of this "riot" im standing reading my programme!!

If i remember rightly Wallace watched the game in STVs studio on leith walk such was the fears for his safety!!!

Yep, i was there , right behind the goals. I was just a nipper in the late 70`s, early 80`s so wouldn`t recall derbies from then, but from my own time going to derbies i think it was one of the most tense, hatred filled atmospheres.

More from their end of course because of the situation. Superb when every goal popped in and when almost the whole Hearts end pointed to the Hibs shed singing, "theres only one Wallacer Mercer"...you could see the venom spewing out from the Hobos....FTH get it right up them. :thumbsup:

I was at this game and it was one of the best ever. I was convinced Robbo had scored a hat-trick.

I was there too, the amount of Jambos who used to pile down to Fester Road in those days was brilliant, i thought Robbo had the hat-trick aswell, well, Robbo being Robbo tried to claim it but Levein was having none of it!

JKB,

Cant thank p0ab2 enough for a vintage collection of Hearts footage circa 1990-96 - only just come across it, so apologies if its old news.

In particular, he's got the game I never made - the 3-0 match which followed the failed Hibs merger.

I got to every game that season except this one, and can remember my brother and Dad coming back with tales of an "eventful" afternoon.

Were you there? I'd be seriously grateful for memories of what happened on and off the pitch. How mental was it?

Deodato

PS: So strange to hear the words Sneddon, Hunter and the like after all these years.

I was at that game brilliant atmosphere in the Dunbar end pure hatred spewing from the hibs fans I remember us singing we're in the money and Hearts fans waving ?5 & ?10 notes harry Enfield style lots of money winding them up even more beating them 3 nil going on 6 or even 7 was great yes one of the better derbies at beaster road

Watching that back the big question for me is "how the hell did Miller stay on the pitch for that assault on JC?"

Shocking and nowhere near the ball after the player was already on the ground.

the windae cleaner

Yip i was there .... cant choose between this one and the semi as my favourite though.. Never been to a game since where the atmosphere was like that .... the hobos were venemous and the build up was really ill tempered and the look on their faces after the 1st then the 2nd went in was absolute priceless .. i had lost my voice by the time the 3rd went in ..

an absolute magic day ... :thumbsup:

would settle for the same tomorrow ;)

Drylaw Hearts

Watching that back the big question for me is "how the hell did Miller stay on the pitch for that assault on JC?"

Shocking and nowhere near the ball after the player was already on the ground.

It was Gordon Hunter.

JKB,

Deodato

How did Alan Sneddon get away with wearing that Halloween mask all game ?

I was in the stand waving tenners at the vermin and singing "You're bankrupt, bankrupt, very very bankrupt, you're very bankrupt".

Fecking brilliant day.

i was there.

it was my first ever away game by myself, i was only 15 and i'd never experienced anything like it.

as an aside, i'll never forget the day when the news story broke about mercer's plan. absolute feckin hoot at work with all the hobos going apeshit and all the jambos sticking the knife in.

life was even more miserable than normal for them for a while, which was just dandy.

I was there - half way up the south terracing behind the goal.

Very enjoyable day out, and gave me a lot of ammo to wind the hobos up the following week.

Make no mistake about it, this fixture was MASSIVE!!!!

They are all important - whether maintaining 22-game and 17-game unbeaten records or knocking them out the Big Cup three times - But this game parallels the Big Cup Semi in terms of "must-win".

I was nervous the whole week leading up to it (just like the semi) - Not that I didn't think we would win both games but more the pain that would be generated if either game was lost.

Edinburgh was in upheaval over Mercer and emotions spilled out with King Robbo being attached by a knobhead and Hearts fans running on to protect their master :-)

That third goal was heaven and we genuinely thought we were going to do them - rumours abound that the police had requested for the game to end in its current scoreline given no chance Hibs were going to make up three and were now playing like losers - why provoke further outrage and trouble.

Of course, Hibs vermin don't need an aborted takeover and Robbo sticking it to them to have an excuse to invade the pitch - they've been doing it all my lifetime and this was their wee 2 minutes of infamy.

Does anyone remember Mercer appearing on a scottish football debate programme hosted by Weetabix Heid on Monday nights following this fixture??

It was as class as the game itself - the audience was full of vermin sporting their poxy campaign badges and attempting to make Mercer look bad.

Mercer was ripping them a new one and quote "we won 3-0 by the skin of our teeth" HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've still got it on some old VHS tape somewhere!!

It was another great day out at the piggery!

If I remember there was trouble after the game as well, Easter road was a sea of Maroon & White for top to bottom.

alwaysthereinspirit

Moved to the US in August 86. Got married the Saturday before then came home for my honeymoon. Was my first trip back in 4 years. Well worth it.

If you could teleport yourself back in time to any game you wanted, this is definitely one I'd want to go to. Until technology can do that I'll be quite happy watching these videos, great work from p0ab2.

And I'd forgotten just how shiny, puffy and slightly indecent those shorts were. Hovering just at the top of the thigh so that occasionally there would be a flash of the bottom of the arse cheek. Deary me. :biggrin:

Valentine Jambo

I was there with a pal. The whole away end singing "one Wallace Mercer" lol.

Superb memories of derbies in those days. Remember the hobos celebrating as if they'd just won the league when they'd only just scraped a draw with us. Anything other than giving them a complete doing seemed a disappointment back then. Usually rounded off with a chorus from our peed off fans of "you're gonnae get yer f ukin head kicked in" haha.

Wish derbies were still like them these days.

I was in the stand waving tenners at the vermin and singing "You're bankrupt, bankrupt, very very bankrupt, you're very bankrupt".

Fecking brilliant day.

Loving these comments, really helps fill the gap - KEEP 'EM COMING!

On the 'waving money' my brother (Top Cat) told me folks at his part of the Dunbar were singing 'we would rather buy Meadowbank' - not sure if anyone remembers that one. Hilarious that Harry Enfield comedy made it to Easter Road.

Deodato

One of the truly great derby wins. I honestly believe that we could have got revenge for the 'game that should never be mentioned'. We murdered them that day. And how good is it to see Jambos taking half of the main stand as well? We ran them all over the park. And the Hearts 'boys' probably battered the Hibs 'boys' that day for good measure! I remember Robbo 'arresting' the Hobo filth that tried to grab him as well. Doubt I'll ever experience a hate-filled atmosphere like that again and I've been to a few Old Firm games too. More tomorrow please :D

One of my all-time favourite games. Really thought we would lose as they were so desperate to put one over us. Was in the Main Stand and so had a grandstand view of the action on and off the pitch. Although it never really caught on beyond the Main Stand, my favourite chant of the day was: "You've got nae team, but you've got ten pubs do da do da...." as a kind of tribute to Duff and Gray. There were few things better in those days than winning there, leaving the ground, turning into Easter Road and seeing Jambos as far as the eye could see all the way up the street and, when you got to the top of the street, looking back down it and it still being wall-to-wall with Hearts fans

The boy that ran on the pitch and hooked the hobo who tried to attack wee Robbo should have got a medal the size of a fecking dustbin lid.

Apparently he came from Stenhouse. Does anyone know him ?

Archived