STAND!

rabwhite11

I think it will make for a far better atmosphere on Sunday if everyone remains standing for the game!

Wondering what peoples thoughts on this would be & if it would be possible?

Roll on Sunday..... Come on the Gorgie :-)

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

most definitely but the chances I will and some boring old MOD EDIT behind me will start greetin about it!

Francis Albert

most definitely but the chances I will and some boring old MOD EDIT behind me will start greetin about it!

... and it might be me. In my experience all these "stand up and sing and support the team" sorts are the first out the ground if we go a couple of goals down.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

... and it might be me. In my experience all these "stand up and sing and support the team" sorts are the first out the ground if we go a couple of goals down.

laugh.gif

No they're not. I refuse to leave before full time on principle, and know tons of people who are exactly the same. It tends to be the older, moanier type of fan that drives away the younger, vocal fan through being boring and thinking that booing is adequate support.

Hearts of Vladland

most definitely but the chances I will and some boring old mod edit behind me will start greetin about it!

Guy was doing it in Aberdeen, as far as I noticed he never made one effort to sing and had a pathetic celebration at our goal, why travel 100+ miles to sit quietly when the game was on tv, well a re-run?

jamboinglasgow

laugh.gif

No they're not. I refuse to leave before full time on principle, and know tons of people who are exactly the same. It tends to be the older, moanier type of fan that drives away the younger, vocal fan through being boring and thinking that booing is adequate support.

I have never left a Hearts game before the final whistle and proud of it.

I think it will make for a far better atmosphere on Sunday if everyone remains standing for the game!

Wondering what peoples thoughts on this would be & if it would be possible?

Roll on Sunday..... Come on the Gorgie :-)

I agree. Think it would be great and I'd definitley stand- i'm so up for this game :thumbsup:

if we had fans that dont sing then our team spirit would be s***e and it would have the atmosphere of murrayfeild. mate are you remebering its a derby?

Guy was doing it in Aberdeen, as far as I noticed he never made one effort to sing and had a pathetic celebration at our goal, why travel 100+ miles to sit quietly when the game was on tv, well a re-run?

because, despite the popular belief on here, you can still be a proper Hearts fan without singing, standing or shouting.There are no better or worse a hearts fan than you. Personally, I'd rather sit but thats cos I take my nephew. As I said on another thread though, im all for a standing sectio just not the whole ground. Although as United fans found out recently, their stance of 'we always stand' is costing them as other clubs are simply cutting their allocation until they sit.

Would much rather stand for the whole game. Not much chance i'll get to, row L is probably too far down and people behind will want to sit :down:

Hearts of Vladland

because, despite the popular belief on here, you can still be a proper Hearts fan without singing, standing or shouting.There are no better or worse a hearts fan than you. Personally, I'd rather sit but thats cos I take my nephew. As I said on another thread though, im all for a standing sectio just not the whole ground. Although as United fans found out recently, their stance of 'we always stand' is costing them as other clubs are simply cutting their allocation until they sit.

Yes you can class yourself as a fan but not a supporter.

Yes you can class yourself as a fan but not a supporter.

haha how ridiculous. I have a season ticket, I go to numerous away games, Ive never left a game early, I sponsor a player, Im a shareholder, I never boo our own players, and I live and breathe Heart of Midlothian. but im not a fan, because I like to sit and I choose not to sing...brilliant.

Francis Albert

mate, cmon all the sweetie paper rustlers behind and infront of me leave early just like killie game

While you stood and cheered on?

Have you got your Easter Road stadium plan yet?

Hearts of Vladland

haha how ridiculous. I have a season ticket, I go to numerous away games, Ive never left a game early, I sponsor a player, Im a shareholder, I never boo our own players, and I live and breathe Heart of Midlothian. but im not a fan, because I like to sit and I choose not to sing...brilliant.

My comments were not aimed directly at you although it might have seemed that way, and i never said you were not a fan but just out of interest why do you not sing? If you live and breathe Hearts surely you should be passionate enough to want to sing? Nothing restricts you from singing Hearts songs that don't contain swear words so there goes the 'I don't want to swear infront of my nephew excuse'. And the 'I never boo our own players' you said you do not sing so you are not encouraging them either.

My comments were not aimed directly at you although it might have seemed that way, and i never said you were not a fan but just out of interest why do you not sing? If you live and breathe Hearts surely you should be passionate enough to want to sing? Nothing restricts you from singing Hearts songs that don't contain swear words so there goes the 'I don't want to swear infront of my nephew excuse'. And the 'I never boo our own players' you said you do not sing so you are not encouraging them either.

I regularly encourage them. "Well done" "great challenge" "head up". i sit pretty close to the pitch so they regularly hear us where we sit. its nothing to do with the swear words etc. And obviously I have nothing against singing. i agree it can sound great. I just personally dont ever feel the urge to sing or feel that comfortable doing it. But what I do hate is the attitude or opinion that people who dont sing or stand are not as passionate or are lesser a fan than those who do. Often, a lot of these fans are no where to be seen come the final whistle.

Hearts of Vladland

I regularly encourage them. "Well done" "great challenge" "head up". i sit pretty close to the pitch so they regularly hear us where we sit. its nothing to do with the swear words etc. And obviously I have nothing against singing. i agree it can sound great. I just personally dont ever feel the urge to sing or feel that comfortable doing it. But what I do hate is the attitude or opinion that people who dont sing or stand are not as passionate or are lesser a fan than those who do. Often, a lot of these fans are no where to be seen come the final whistle.

What do you class as being 'passionate' at football?

What do you class as being 'passionate' at football?

I dont know really. I would consider someone who is positive about the team and stays until the end a bigger show of passion than someone who sings but sods off when we are losing. Obviously these are two end of the spectrum stereotypes but surely you see my point.

Same as I love music but I dont like dancing to it.

Francis Albert

The idea that you cannot support and encourage the team without singing is absurd. More people sing now than was the case for most of the 45 years I've supported Hearts (despite the myth about the decline in "atmosphere") but it remains a minority. A sustained wordless roar is for me at least as inspiring, as is a chorus of booing of the opposition or referee. In the old days no-one in the main stand ever sang (indeed in the old Tynecastle no-one did apart from a few hundred in the shed) but a roar and stamping of feet used to be raise the hairs on the back of the neck.

Francis Albert

laugh.gif

I've not left a game early since I missed George Fleming's equaliser at Montrose in about 1969. Even then I was back in the ground for the final whistle. I never boo my team or any of our players. I've rarely sung since about 1969 either. But I have often seen the aggressive "come on sing and support the team" types walk out when things go wrong. One example is when we went two down in the league cup final in 1996. Dozens of the most vociferous singers walked straight out. Shame, they missed one of the best performances and best atmosphers (created by singers and non-singers alike) that I've experienced.

Hearts of Vladland

The idea that you cannot support and encourage the team without singing is absurd. More people sing now than was the case for most of the 45 years I've supported Hearts (despite the myth about the decline in "atmosphere") but it remains a minority. A sustained wordless roar is for me at least as inspiring, as is a chorus of booing of the opposition or referee. In the old days no-one in the main stand ever sang (indeed in the old Tynecastle no-one did apart from a few hundred in the shed) but a roar and stamping of feet used to be raise the hairs on the back of the neck.

So if you are not singing to encourage the team what exactly are you doing to encourage them?

So if you are not singing to encourage the team what exactly are you doing to encourage them?

He says in his post. A roar or the stamping of feet is just as good an atmosphere. I tend to agree. The noise you get just after a minutes silence or after some encouraging play is just as good as a good song rendition. There splenty ways to encourage without singing. Shouting, clapping, any non lyrical noise whatsoever.

tbh with you no i never stood up and sang at the killie game but i encouraged the team like many people around me did but unfortunately we were let down by the team sitting quiet doesnt help the players at all im sorry but it doesnt.

Hearts of Vladland

He says in his post. A roar or the stamping of feet is just as good an atmosphere. I tend to agree. The noise you get just after a minutes silence or after some encouraging play is just as good as a good song rendition. There splenty ways to encourage without singing. Shouting, clapping, any non lyrical noise whatsoever.

Most people that don't join in singing don't join in clapping or roaring or anything of the sort that involves making atmosphere. When I was referring to singing I was just meaning getting involved as in doing anything to make or get involved with the atmosphere which the person I was on about in my first post was not doing.

Most people that don't join in singing don't join in clapping or roaring or anything of the sort that involves making atmosphere. When I was referring to singing I was just meaning getting involved as in doing anything to make or get involved with the atmosphere which the person I was on about in my first post was not doing.

I see your point but to be honest its personal choice. By travelling to Aberdeen to watch us play he showed more commitmentand support to the club than many people who sing loudly or even many on this forum.

exactly you dont have to sing just give a wee bit of encouragement a clap, a wee shout nothing much.

I see your point but to be honest its personal choice. By travelling to Aberdeen to watch us play he showed more commitmentand support to the club than many people who sing loudly or even many on this forum.

I wish people wouldn't talk about me as if I wasn't here. :ninja:

Francis Albert

Do you attend matches? Have you ever looked around and listened to the fans who unlike you (that is everyone) who are not singing for 90 minutes? Do you applaud and shout approval at good moves, good passes, good interceptions, goal attempts, good tackles, good saves? Do you boo and scream abuse at bad decisions (or even good decisions) that go against us or fouls or dissent or time wasting by the opposition? Or are you too busy singing, for the most part alone and unheard?

Do you attend matches? Have you ever looked around and listened to the fans who unlike you (that is everyone) who are not singing for 90 minutes? Do you applaud and shout approval at good moves, good passes, good interceptions, goal attempts, good tackles, good saves? Do you boo and scream abuse at bad decisions (or even good decisions) that go against us or fouls or dissent or time wasting by the opposition? Or are you too busy singing, for the most par alone and unheard?

all we are trying to say is give a bit of encouragement and i shout at bad descisions and praise good ones its football.

Hearts of Vladland

Do you attend matches?

Yes I am a season ticket holder and make it to as many away games as I can.

Have you ever looked around and listened to the fans who unlike you (that is everyone) who are not singing for 90 minutes?

Where did I say I sung for the whole 90 minutes?

Do you applaud and shout approval at good moves, good passes, good interceptions, goal attempts, good tackles, good saves?

Yes I do.

Do you boo and scream abuse at bad decisions (or even good decisions) that go against us or fouls or dissent or time wasting by the opposition?

Yes.

Or are you too busy singing, for the most par alone and unheard?

I have never said that I sung for the whole game, all I have said is that I don't understand why people go to football and not get involved with the atmosphere.

Is there anything else you want to make up that I said?

1williegibson

have a grip felow jambos. my best mate is a passionate jambo but he doesnt sing too loudly but he goes mantal at refs and hobos . i do sing and im sure it gets right on his paps but we are both just as passionate when we go to see the famous. my brother is much the same. he is hard core jambo but doesnt go as mental as me at every decision or tackle etc. each to there own i say.

with 1902 jambos in either tier of the stand there will be a fair mixture of shouters and screamers and sit doon ans stand up fans. doesnt really matter to me as long as we shaft the hobos.

i prefer to stand and sing and shout and will take great pleasure in doing thus on sunday afternoon ineast lothian

id prefer to stand but i might not be standing for long after a session in the pub before the game,and a victory session afterwards when we pump the hibees :woot:

Sydney Devine

I'd prefer to stand - but my two young sons would like to be able to watch the game, so thanks for your understanding if you are in front of me and I ask you to sit down.

Valentine Jambo

I'd prefer to stand - but my two young sons would like to be able to watch the game, so thanks for your understanding if you are in front of me and I ask you to sit down.

Same here!

maltese jambo

Same here!

Prefer to stand but understand some people want or even need to sit! If i was standing i'd make sure the folk behind me were standing or that i was at the back of the stand/tier

Francis Albert

Yes I am a season ticket holder and make it to as many away games as I can.

Where did I say I sung for the whole 90 minutes?

Yes I do.

Yes.

I have never said that I sung for the whole game, all I have said is that I don't understand why people go to football and not get involved with the atmosphere.

Is there anything else you want to make up that I said?

The questions were of course rhetorical ones, to make the point that singing is not the only way to "get involved with the atmosphere". For what it's worth I'd prefer to stand, but on a terracing, as standing in seated areas is I find uncomfortable and (more important) inconsiderate of those behind you who can't or don't want to stand or can't see if they do ... and unlike on a terracing can't move elsewhere.

Anyway FTH.

If everyone that went to the games, sat down & didn't sing...... football would not be the same!

Lets take it up a notch and get behind the famous!!!

scots civil war

I've not left a game early since I missed George Fleming's equaliser at Montrose in about 1969.

hilarious attempt at im a real hearts man right there.....genuinely funny one that in so much that occured over 40 years ago

for one thing re standing,it makes for a better atmosphere in that there is more movement rather than sitting in a prostrate position in one of em ******* chairs...

its cold and its a derby,so stand please

see you lot tomora

Francis Albert

I've not left a game early since I missed George Fleming's equaliser at Montrose in about 1969.

hilarious attempt at im a real hearts man right there.....genuinely funny one that in so much that occured over 40 years ago

for one thing re standing,it makes for a better atmosphere in that there is more movement rather than sitting in a prostrate position in one of em ******* chairs...

its cold and its a derby,so stand please

see you lot tomora

Eh? It was a response disagreeing with a post saying those who didn't sing also tended to leave early. That it was 40 years ago was the point! My posts on this thread are all about refuting the idea that you are only a real Hearts fan, and are only really getting behind the team, if you stand and sing. There is no one way to be a "real Hearts fan" and I'm all for those singing who want to. However I am not sure standing if it blocks the view of other Hearts fans is is a qualification for being a "real Hearts fan" ...

Thunderstruck

The steep rake of the stands we have is only possible because the stands are all-seated. If standing became the norm, the safety Stasi will be on the club's case, threatening removal of certificates if action not taken.

As for singing or not - Scott asks that we "make some noise" and that is right - it is volume that matters, not content. For me, the the single note noise that used to accompany a mass twirlie was what made Tynecastle unique.

As for leaving early,think of what the part-timers will have missed over the years:

Quitongo's leveller v Celtic

Bouzid's winner v Celtic

Velicka's pen v Celtic

Austin McCann's screamer v Celtic

Obua's "Gangsta" winner v Hobos

And last but not least, Wee Graham Weir.

I am sure there are plenty of other examples.

scots civil war

ok dude,i hadnt checked out the background to the statement but as i have said,i thought it was hilarious

anyway,of course im not advocating showing disrespect to fellow supporters of the club by stubbornly blocking their view

but what i will say is just as at hampden recently for the spain game,where i was, there was a mixture of punters standing and sitting.we all moved around to enable each other to watch the game in whatever format you wanted....result,everybody happy at the outcome.

stand please and make an atmosphere

Everytime I try and stand up some old git demands i sit down, fair enough their old but its like they got the goods times and were stuck sitting on our hands watching the game go by.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

What did our non-standers do in the 80s when standing was basically normal and expected? What did the elderly do back then when they had to stand? What did people bringing kids have to do, and indeed what did the kids do?

It worked before..

Edit - also, what do you make of Rochdale vs FC United last night, where 4,000 FC fans went mental for ninety minutes, standing and singing, flares etc and their team beat Rochdale (80 places above them) 3-2 away from home? I could be confusing cause and effect here, but I'm definitely sure the fans made a difference.

What did our non-standers do in the 80s when standing was basically normal and expected? What did the elderly do back then when they had to stand? What did people bringing kids have to do, and indeed what did the kids do?

Non standers sat in the stand oddly enough. And people with kids either let them run around as, contrary to common belief, there was plenty space on the terraces for that. And the enclosure was good for kids. N Lower was the family enclosure oddly enough.

Archived