Jobsworth Police (merged threads)

Samster

From the BBC:

"A football club has criticised police for confiscating champagne they were drinking to celebrate a title win.

The bottles were produced at East Stirlingshire's Firs Park after East Fife moved to an unassailable 24-point lead in the Scottish Third Division."

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7302390.stm

Nelly Terraces

Complete trumpets. How pathetic and embarrassing.

'The law is the law', blah, blah, aye whatever, not got any other 'crimes' you could be investigating ya dicks.

northfieldhearts

typical polis - priorities are all wrong. mind you, would you want to trust a bunch of fifers with glass bottles???

I hope the huns had their celabration buckie confiscated at hamdump then.

We wouldn't want one law for the OF and another for the rest would we.

Did you really expect anything different from the police.

Bunch of brainwashed monkeys when it comes to dealing with the public . Thinking they look clever and important but really just coming across as moronic and unable to think for them selfs.

Moronic.

Will life even be worth living in a few years with all the rule making that goes on.

Little wonder that there is little respect for the police.

How Ch Insp Audrey McLeod can have the brass neck to even comment is unbelievable.

Nail on head.

What a bunch of wallopers.

Away and catch some criminals ya phannys.

How Ch Insp Audrey McLeod can have the brass neck to even comment is unbelievable.

I think the police have made themselves look silly over this incident.

I was at Murrayfield 2 weeks ago for the England game. Most fans were half cut from drinking behind the stands, then when the game started they are allowed to take 4 pints of beer in plastic containers to there seats. A lot of them were bouncing off walls and staggering down steep steps, which was extremely dangerous.

Why oh why Central Scotland police made the decision with East Fife is beyond the realms of common sense. They were probably in a much safer controlled enviroment than the rugger chappies.

I'd just like to say what a [mod edit] little country we've become that we put up with crap like this fom the polis. It's our [mod edit] country and they're our [mod edit] servants. Where have our freedoms gone? I know it may be thought of as a trvial little event, but somehow, for me at least, it goes way past all the more important stuff right to the heart of what we've lost in this country. It's grim. My dad would have been speechless at what's become of us and the rubbish we put up with.

I personally have a lot of respect for the police, I've got several mates who are in the force and I know they do a good job often under difficult circumstances.

However, this example just illustrates they need to show a bit more common sense if they're going to get respect from others.

I hope the huns had their celabration buckie confiscated at hamdump then.

We wouldn't want one law for the OF and another for the rest would we.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Meanwhile Alan Maybury is passed a bottle of champers live on Sky Sports last night as his reward for being man of the match..... wonder if the police went wading in to the Aberdeen dressing room after that interview?

Nelly Terraces
Meanwhile Alan Maybury is passed a bottle of champers live on Sky Sports last night as his reward for being man of the match..... wonder if the police went wading in to the Aberdeen dressing room after that interview?

Indeed. Surely Strathclydes 'finest' old bill should have steamed into Maybs, battoned him over the head, pepper sprayed his coupon and dragged him off to the cells for such a heinous criminal act:sad:!

Maybe they're going soft?:mw_rolleyes:

If only the cops spent as much time investigating assaults, murders and rapes, the worrld would be a better place.

They will porbably go round folks houses next, making sure they have not kept a recording of Easteneders or Coronation Street on a blank tape for loneger than legally allowed.

Was he passed the bottle of champers on the pitch or inside the stand?

Was he passed the bottle of champers on the pitch or inside the stand?

Wherever the post match interviews are held at Parkhead - in the tunnell no doubt.

Given that the original champers confiscation happened within the changing rooms, i fail to see where the difference lies?

Wherever the post match interviews are held at Parkhead - in the tunnell no doubt.

Given that the original champers confiscation happened within the changing rooms, i fail to see where the difference lies?

East Fife were told not to take the bottles onto the pitch or into the stand.

They were allowed it in the changing rooms, and you are allowed drinks in glass containers underneath/inside the stands, not outside on the pitch or in the seating areas.

"During the subsequent celebrations the bottles were produced and champagne was sprayed over the fans who were gathered on the pitch"

So if Maybury had gone out onto the pitch or into the stand he would have been causing the same offence as the East Fife players.

:beer:

For once, I WON'T defend my colleagues (although Jambo Gaz you are a f*d and it rhymes with dud). It was highly unlikely that East Fife players would be launching empty champers bottles into the crowd which was why the legislation was introduced. We got it wrong this time. Common sense is fast disappearing.

Common sense has no place in modern day policing. The police like many other similar bodies/organisations of society are losing the plot on most things. This is just another example of why its so difficult to defend a lot of what the police do and how they do it.

Its al PC (pardon the pun) mad nowadays. In terms of an approach based on legislation they were correct but based on common sense, as usual. miles off the mark.

This is just another example of why its so difficult to defend a lot of what the police do and how they do it.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

What if, during the celebrations in the stand, the bottle was dropped and smacked a supporter on the head knocking him out (or worse) who would get the blame?

Next weekend you should be able then to take a bottle of 'Bud' out from the Gorgie Suite into the Wheatfield Stand, well it was okay for the East Fife players, and the police let them, why not you?

:beer:

What If one of the players in a game kicks the ball into the crowd and bursts someone's nose. What if a player celebrating slips and falls on a supporter and injures them. What if what if. What if we soon decide in our PC over sanitised society that you can't call someone a Hibbie bar steward at the game because believe me its coming. We live in such a nanny state nowadays. You can's say anything to anybody lest it might be deemed offensive. Going to the football is a release for many people. Its being ruined by the PC brigade of which the police are an integral part of.

A team celebrating a remarkable season with a bottle of champagne on the park is perhaps not PC but its hardly the signal for the return of the problems that used to be prevelant at football grounds that brought in the legislation in the first place.

I despair at times with the way things are handled by an organisation that I used to be proud to be a part of.

I know a friend who wanted to do a talk recently to new police recruits. In part of his talk he was going to say

"No punch without Judy".

He was told he couldn't and had to say "No punch without his significant other life partner".

Needless to say he declined to give an input.

I'm not knocking the police in isolation but they are just as bad as the rest of them.

Silly plods.

You can's say anything to anybody lest it might be deemed offensive. Going to the football is a release for many people. Its being ruined by the PC brigade of which the police are an integral part of.

Is what some people may deem racist and or sectarian and or homophobic acceptable at football matches?

The state we are in in this country is not down to the police, but the irresponsible few who have made and are continually making life difficult for everyone else, yet they seem unaffected. The above champagne incident being on of the latest examples.

I'm sure some common sense middle ground could have been found, but at the same time some other nosey jobsworth could well have reported the police allowing a glass container in a football stand, and then the whole thing would be just as bad. i.e Police letting footballers away with something ordinary well behaved fans aren't allowed.

Archived