ubuntu

Dandyman

Hi does anyone on here use ubuntu? Im trying to save my wireless connection on my acer netbook but dont know how to, every time I switch on the netbook I have to enter my wireless key which is 26 digits long. Does anyone know how to save this so I dont have to keep entering the code Cheers

Dean Winchester

Hi does anyone on here use ubuntu? Im trying to save my wireless connection on my acer netbook but dont know how to, every time I switch on the netbook I have to enter my wireless key which is 26 digits long. Does anyone know how to save this so I dont have to keep entering the code Cheers

Is it saved in Network Manager? Have you tried using wicd instead?

Quick google seen a few other problem with the same problem and this fix seemed to work. See the 2nd post:

Here

JamboInSouthsea

Sounds like you perhaps haven't saved settings through your root user acccount (are you the only user of laptop) as this affects permissions, hence the re-entering of password.

Are you still having problems...if so will have a shufty for you for a possible solution as use Ubuntu myself...sure I initially had a problem with wireless like this but got it sorted quite easily??

JamboInSouthsea

Oh yeah, what version have you been running and have you been keeping everything up to date (with Update Manager) as this is essential to smooth running?

Yeah there is only one user set on the netbook, there doesn't seem to be a bit where I can click to save my wireless key, altho i'm still trying to navigate my way around ubuntu as I only installed it the other day and have never used it before

JamboInSouthsea

Yeah i've had linux since about March now and certainly won't be going back to MS rubbish. Got same version myself which appeared one day after some updates going from v8.04. Rather than buy new system it just uploaded and installed itself much to my surprise.

Have you just installed this OS on your computer (just guessing from your posts on computer help thread)? I seem to remember screwing everything up by trying to run something re. my graphics card and everything went blank so, as had nothing worth keeping anyway on computer, and as was in a flap just re-installed over the top with mobile internet dongle still in computer....everything worked fine after that including not having to re-enter password each time.

Also, if a new user, I wouldn't worry too much about getting anti-virus etc software...mate of mine been on linux for years and never been hit (the OS is far safer than MS stuff...probably linux users writing viruses to effect MS for a laugh and as you probably notice you need to enter your password when changing system..this helps security).

Did you follow previous posters link to Ubuntu forum and entering stuff in the terminal (c.f. MS Dos type interface) and try that? If you're not sure about it drop me an email (probably easier) and I'll try to help.

Short term problem sover is to save the password in a txt file then just copy and paste.

One thing about linux is at least you'll learn a bit more about your computer and how to fix it...more often than not a damned sight easier than windows as it does what you tell it...if you know how to.

The help forums are very good and any probs it's worth having a look...remember linux is free and all those working for it do it for nothing other than for the love of it...geeky i know but how refreshing.

Archived