Washington DC

Tazio

I'm going to be spending a week in Washington in a fortnights time.

Any top tips for things to do in The District?

Obviously visiting the memorials, museums etc, but looking for good places to eat, drink and shop.

I'm going to be spending a week in Washington in a fortnights time.

Any top tips for things to do in The District?

Obviously visiting the memorials, museums etc, but looking for good places to eat, drink and shop.

DC is fabtastic. Gerogetown is a super area to eat, lots of restauarants.

J Pauls

Old Glory

Martins Apperently JKF frequented this place.

There is a Vietnamese restaurant in Gerogetown too which we atr at and it was super, really good food, but I can't rmrmber what it was called, and of course there is a Hard Rock Cafe.

Georgetown is very buzzy and social, great area to stay in.

The Bus Tour is pretty good.

Although it's a fair size place once you get your bearings, there are lot's of land marks and it's a good city for walking.

If you go into Macey's go to the Visitors desk you can get a 10% discount card on showing your passport.

Although the bus tour will tell you, and visitors books might also tell you you can visit the FBBI building you can't. A lady in uniform with a gun outside made that very clear to me. The Spy Museum is not very good.

It's a great city for a holiday, and you need at least a week, you could easily do two weeks.

If you want to visit the White House you need to have advance tickets, done over the internet before you leave.

To go up the Washington Monument you need to stand in a queue in the morning to get a times ticket for sometime during the day.

Taking pictures at the Pentagon is not recommnded, you might not get your scheduled flight home.

RoussetsShorts

A magnificent city, I absolutely loved DC. There is so much to do i won't bother recommending just go with the flow and discover the place. It would be a truly awesome place to live.

p.s. (totally uncultured but we aw like our fitba) There's an ESPN bar in town, If there's any matches on you want to see when away pop in. You get a MASSIVE cinema screen, reclinig chairs and seat service for all your beer & food :thumbsup:

Been a while since I was in DC, but the one thing I remember was that the museums etc are bigger than I thought. The Smithsonian is a must but really does take time to see it. I enjoyed from a historic point of view Ford's Theatre where Lincoln was shot. It was also the source of the story that Mrs Lincoln was asked " Apart from the shooting how did you enjoy the play.

I visited the White House my roomy where I was staying in Virginia was from New York state. He wrote to his Congressman who got him the tickets for the special tour. If you know any of the U.S. residents here on JKB they may be able to help you, cut's back on line ups and is more extensive.

Cheers for the replies.

I'll be working but after the first couple of days I'll have my days free as I won't be working until between six and ten.

I was a bit worried it would be a bit of a sterile city but sounds pretty good so far.

A good steak will be high on the list of things to do in the first couple of days, something I always do in the states or canada.

Big_Hearts_Runner

Get along to the Verizon Centre for a basketball or Ice Hockey game one evening. There are some good restaurants around there too (Chinatown), Clyde's and Matchbox worth a visit.

On U street you have the legendary "Ben's Chilli bowl" which is a fast-food type diner: http://www.benschilibowl.com/ordereze/Content/2/Summary.aspx

Dino's in cleveland park has very good Italian food, but a bit out from the centre of the city: http://www.dino-dc.com/

I'd just have a walk around the Mall if the weather is still decent, been pishing it down all day today but still reasonably warm to walk about. Air and Space museum is worth a look and whist depressing the Holocaust museum is excellently done. You obviously have to go to the Lincoln memorial where MLK did his "I have a dream" speech.

Georgetown is nice to walk around especially the waterfront but a few ya's and overpriced shops. Arlington cemetery is also nice to walk around and see the Kennedy graves, tomb of the unknown and Iwo Jima memorial.

For the White House tour shoot an email to the Embassy here: [email protected]

They might have spaces at short notice.

If your on the booze then head up to Adam's Morgan for bars and restaurants that are a bit more relaxed than the ones around the white house.

Enjoy your visit! :thumbsup:

Best to visit this place the begining of August, world's biggest pen show takes place there then :whistling:

Eric

i was only really there for a bit of a wander one day while we were in new york, but i've pointed out the thread to cludgie as they were there for 2 or 3 days so hopefully he'll pitch in

i know they found a great wee bar on the last night

Been there once, about ten years ago. Pretty good place for a visit, and more than a few decent sights to see. Good nightlife and some quality boozers.

If timing works, get yourself along to a Redskins game, or try to see John Wall in action for the Wizards.

Maybe times have changed, but if not, a word of warning - like most US cities, the "central" area can be like a ghost town at night (alarm bells have to go off when Mickey D's shuts at about 6pm...). Even a few blocks away from some of the main sights (White House, FBI), things can get very sketchy, very quickly. Nothing to be worried about, but like anywhere, you need to be sensible - eg take a cab etc.. I don't know where it ranks now, but DC used to be know as the murder capital of the US. I believe things have got a lot better in recent years, though - and if you are sensible, you will be completely oblivious to it anyway.

The Treasurer

i was only really there for a bit of a wander one day while we were in new york

That's one hell of a wander, Bev !!!!ohmy.gif

That's one hell of a wander, Bev !!!!ohmy.gif

we had been in new york for the week and hopped on a train from penn st station.

it wasn't til i got there til i (we) realised how much there would be to see and do, so a day.. well afternoon really i suppose, was nowhere near long enough

very pretty city though

great city, wish we had longer there.

you could probably spend a week in the smithsonian museums alone.

I will have photos & Videos on my site soon mostly from around the National Mall, will link when done.

already uploaded some from the National Air and space museum but there not that great, here

Defo reccomend the Holocaust Museum but you need to give it a good part of a day. Guard was shot dead a week after I was there last year. You can now tour the Capitol Building too, interesting.

Can only second the call to go to Arlington cemetry.

The bus tour is very good and it's one of the these hop-on-off two day passes so you can get to see all the stuff you want.

I was in DC a lot with work and loved it!

Archived