What sort of player is Stephen Elliott?

The Merse

Never really knew much about him before we signed him and obviously he has only had the odd sub appearance so far so yet to see what this guy is all about.

What sort of striker is he?

A goal poacher?

Like to make runs in behind?

Good hold up play?

A grafter?

Jambof3tornado

Looks like he likes to run in behind. The st mirren game wasn't clums best and with Stephen waiting in the wings the pressure is on for all the strikers.

Need more than a sub appearance to judge 2 t's!

Apparently he is a pacey poacher who can sniff out goals. Or was art Sunderland. We need to be patient with him though. He is coming on in games when we have lost our impotus or have reverted to desperate long ball. He needs a start or two, wih play like th efirst half hour against St Mirren, but of course he needs to wait for Calum to slip up before he gets that.

Looks like he likes to run in behind. The st mirren game wasn't clums best and with Stephen waiting in the wings the pressure is on for all the strikers.

Need more than a sub appearance to judge 2 t's!

Do we think Stephen Elliot should start this weekend or should we not change a winning team?

I would like to see a bit more of Elliot but despite Calum's performance at the weekend (i don't think he was too bad tbh but definately not one of his better games) i think we should probably keep changes to a minimum at the minute.

rudi must stay

He's been unlucky IMO, he's made some good runs off the ball. Which have either not been seen or have been well intercepted by the opposition. Sooner or later though they're bound to come off..

I think he'll start v Killie.

So do I.

Just a bit curious as to what sort of player is as I have no idea what to expect as he hasn't really had any sort of an impact as a sub so far.

So far he has been best at having the ball bounce over his head.

I'm hoping that he is a lot better than he has shown in his sub appearances so far.

I have heard from people that see him in training he is terrier like

Never gives up and gives the defenders no time whatsoever, believe the coaching staff have been impressed with that side of things. Not seen that in the bits we have seen of him but these have been rare. Not having a go at Elliot but think Elliott comes with a better pedigree and inuries aside would have been the partner for Kyle. Maybe now is the time to let him show what he can do. If he doesnt start we will never know.

I have heard from people that see him in training he is terrier like

Never gives up and gives the defenders no time whatsoever, believe the coaching staff have been impressed with that side of things. Not seen that in the bits we have seen of him but these have been rare. Not having a go at Elliot but think Elliott comes with a better pedigree and inuries aside would have been the partner for Kyle. Maybe now is the time to let him show what he can do. If he doesnt start we will never know.

Calum (and Rudi) are 5th top scorer in the league. And he has offered a lot more than goals with his running off the ball. Not the time to drop Elliot.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Someone on here said they'd heard from a Sunderland fan that they used to call him "Sleeves" because of his high work rate.

Snake Plissken

I don't like changing a winning team and Elliott hasn't shown much yet.

I'd keep the same XI that started against St Mirren and the only change I would be looking to make is when Lee Wallace is back to full fitness.

I think if we go into the second half with a lead we should take off Kyle for the derby and stick on two tees for 40 minuites or so

Suspect Device

Someone on here said they'd heard from a Sunderland fan that they used to call him "Sleeves" because of his high work rate.

I believe they called him sleeves because he always wore long sleeves, no idea how long it took them to think that one up :lol:

My Preston supporting mate didn't really rate him, unfortunately, although he did say he was "worth a punt in the SPL." Coming from a PNE fan, that was a bit cheeky!

I thought they called him Sleeves because that was his username on a Sunderland forum?

I'm probably wrong, but that sticks in my mind.

I thought they called him Sleeves because that was his username on a Sunderland forum?

that sounds familiar

So he likes message boards, does he?

HI STEPHEN :)

Definitely not the right time to drop Elliot. He may not have had his best game on Saturday but he's still some distance away from deserving to be dropped. I'd like to see a bit more of Elliott so if things need freshening up (or we're cruising comfortably...fingers crossed..) then sure, bring him on....otherwise I can bide my time.

It was Kevin Kyle when they where both at sunderland that gave him the name sleeves because when somebody told him anything he always said sleeves up is that serious KK explained it on the billy brown show last week.

on to the topic though i think elliott needs to start a couple of games before we can really judge him and tell what type of striker he is

Miller Jambo 60

So he likes message boards, does he?

HI STEPHEN :)

Definitely not the right time to drop Elliot. He may not have had his best game on Saturday but he's still some distance away from deserving to be dropped. I'd like to see a bit more of Elliott so if things need freshening up (or we're cruising comfortably...fingers crossed..) then sure, bring him on....otherwise I can bide my time.

Like it ya wee devil.

Doug

Do we think Stephen Elliot should start this weekend or should we not change a winning team?

I would like to see a bit more of Elliot but despite Calum's performance at the weekend (i don't think he was too bad tbh but definately not one of his better games) i think we should probably keep changes to a minimum at the minute.

would like to see him start a game just to see how he and Kyle get on, I think it could be a good partnership, worth a shot, gonna be a goalfest again on Sundahy me thinks

JJ made a point of saying at the start of the season that he wouldn't change a winning team and fringe players would have to hope that the first 11 had a mare for them to get in. With the exception of our back 4, the midfield and forward line has been pretty immense this season, so it would be crazy to change it now. Soon we'll have Driver, Temps and S Elliott on the bench - not bad eh?

I reckon he probably won't start a game until the 3rd round of the cup in January (assuming Kyle or Elliot don't have a mare beforehand - let's not assume it is only Calum's jersey at stake). He'll keep biting away with his 20/25 min cameos, similar to how I see Driver coming back in gradually. Just means the 2 of them will be fit as fiddles and raring to go in the new year.

The midfield and forward line is as strong as it's been in years, lovin it.

Let's run the Hoops a close 2nd ;-)

Long way to go in the season, keep giving him 30 mins and his time will come, by then he will be hungry. Great to have this depth now.

I think he'll start v Killie.

I agree.

I don't think Calum Elliot deserves to be dropped.

I agree and hope that DH's post is incorrect.

Like it ya wee devil.

Doug

If anything, guilty of being over-friendly post IMO.

My impression of what I've seen of Stephen Elliot is that he plays a bit like Stephan Adam. Very good at running, taking defenders away and creating space for himself and others. While I wouldn't drop Clum in his present form ay some poiint SElleiot will get a run of a few games. I reckon he will be difficult to get out the team then, and he working with Rudi and Kyle will up the goal tally. Bring in Driver too, woth Temps, we could turn into a goal machine.

Say What Again
I reckon he probably won't start a game until the 3rd round of the cup in January

Kyle's likely to pick up a suspension before then.

Diadora Van Basten

I would stick with Clum just now, it has to be said though his performances are starting to slide.

Stephen Elliott hasn't shown anything yet to suggest he would be an improvement.

I would stick with Clum just now, it has to be said though his performances are starting to slide.

Stephen Elliott hasn't shown anything yet to suggest he would be an improvement.

I think calums performances have been good he set up kyles winner against Aberdeen with a superb cross and was good again on Saturday. He missed a sitter but happens with all strikers

Going to be interesting to see how JJ plays this one.

Up until Saturday I would fully agree that Elliot had done more than enough to be first choice beside our main striker Kyle but I thought he was disappointing on Saturday and has maybe given the manager a slight decision before Sunday. Personally I think he would just about deserve to get another home game against one of the poorer sides but the pressure is definitely on him to contribute more especially at Tynecastle. As JJ's signings will be under scrutiny I would fully expect Elliott to play soon as I thought it was clear on Saturday his fitness had improved greatly even if nothing has particularly happened for him yet something which has as much to do with the way we have played late in home games so far this season. Its a decent enough headache to have and given our low number of matches we should all things being equal have a very strong squad in the run up to the end of the year.

Anyone else noticed that this topic has been discussed and debated interestingly and sensibly. Bizarre hey?

I agree with a couple of points. One, that Kyle or Elliot will be suspended soon imsure and he will get his nod, and two that we shouldnt change a winning team of th elast two games. It send out the wrong message.

Also, I think we should enjoy not having to send out players who arent ready by rushing them into games. I was so tired of us playing unfit players or 'hes not at full strength yet'. We should enjoy the luxury of thirty minutes here and there until he is sharper. Its great having a near fully fit squad and a really strongbench. Im confident he will come good. Its just a shame we are out of the league cup where he could get good game time. Hopefully the cup draw is good to us.

I think if we go into the second half with a lead we should take off Kyle for the derby and stick on two tees for 40 minuites or so

I'd agree with this. Would also be good to see us have a spell without big KK and see if we can cope this time (after failing miserably at ICT until he came on)

called sleeves because he as always saying lets roll our sleeves up

Does anyone know how KK and Elliot got on when they played together at Sunderland? Were they even in the same team very often?

Victor Meldrew

I'd agree with this. Would also be good to see us have a spell without big KK and see if we can cope this time (after failing miserably at ICT until he came on)

I think it would be interesting. Of course we have Rudi as well now, but he's always thrived when there has been a big front man to hold up the ball (Jankauskas/Kyle)

Mad Dog Frazer

im just glad we have this problem

2 strikers playing well with another decent one(i hope) waiting for his chance

I think it would be interesting. Of course we have Rudi as well now, but he's always thrived when there has been a big front man to hold up the ball (Jankauskas/Kyle)

then take Rudi off and stick Templeton on

Archived