Do all teams in any league, pay too much for players?

HMFC-1874

I was thinking about this today. The gossip column on BBC was saying that Man City are looking to pay ?15million for Jordan Henderson, and Spurs the same for Gary Cahill. It's beyond belief how much money that is, and it doesn't even include wages or signing on fees!

I know it's a spurious comparison, so I'm not suggesting for a second that it should be donated to the government instead etc, but that same amount of money funds around 500 experienced classroom teachers. It's crazy when you actually consider the numbers involved.

I was thinking about this today. The gossip column on BBC was saying that Man City are looking to pay ?15million for Jordan Henderson, and Spurs the same for Gary Cahill. It's beyond belief how much money that is, and it doesn't even include wages or signing on fees!

I know it's a spurious comparison, so I'm not suggesting for a second that it should be donated to the government instead etc, but that same amount of money funds around 500 experienced classroom teachers. It's crazy when you actually consider the numbers involved.

I read those earlier too and was thinking how ridiculous it was.

For 15 million you could surely purchase a far better defender from outwith the Premiership. The over-inflated fee's for English players playing in the Premiership is a joke.

How much was it again for James Milner?

Sick to think that the 80 millio Real Madrid paid for one player could have cleared our debt, built a new stand and probably built a team to secure the league for the next ten years.

:lol:

I think the time is coming where all clubs are going to have to agree to stop paying such ridiculous wages or football is going to implode.

200k a week after tax for Yaya Toure.

Ridiculous amounts of money.

It has to end somewhere.

Yeah I know, I just don't understand how players can complian that they don't get paid enough as well wages wise, within two months some players get paid more than the normal person does in a entire yeah. It's embrassing IMO.

Yeah I know, I just don't understand how players can complian that they don't get paid enough as well wages wise, within two months some players get paid more than the normal person does in a entire yeah. It's embrassing IMO.

never mind two months. Most premiership players probably do within 2 weeks.

its all going to come to a halt at some point, or there will be major restructuring of european leagues so the biggest clubs play a champions league format all season long, and sadly i dont think the old firm will be invited

the gap between the good and the not so good is widening all the time

For 15 million you could surely purchase a far better defender from outwith the Premiership. The over-inflated fee's for English players playing in the Premiership is a joke.

Quite correct. Its almost as though they only want to buy to help their own league at times (not overly bad granted). You could easily find a better player in Germany, Spain, France, Italy et al at a fraction of cost. Their insularity beggars belief sometimes. I mind some English journos asking how Wenger 'does it' when he signed Vermaelen. Probably by looking outwith these shores and not being parochial.

As for Milner, you could have got two and a bit Ozil's for that price. Totally ridiculous.

I think the time is coming where all clubs are going to have to agree to stop paying such ridiculous wages or football is going to implode.

Correct again. The EU cant restrict it and football teams know this. Its one of the few areas where FIFA/UEFA will actually pander to them and it'll kill the game.

It is amazing to think that Dan Carter, arguably the best Rugby player in the world, moved to France to avoid a salary cap and still got less than ?1million per year.

Zaliukas was asking for more!

Sick to think that the 80 millio Real Madrid paid for one player could have cleared our debt, built a new stand and probably built a team to secure the league for the next ten years.

?26m. That's twenty six MILLION pounds.

Crazy biscuits isn't it? That money would secure our club's future for years to come, and have change left over to save Dundee. :o

Wish I had your job! :lol:

It'd take me the best part of a decade to earn what Ronaldo or Yaya Toure earn in a WEEK. Wild stuff. As Picard says, it's going to have to stop at some point or football will self-destruct. I think that day is coming anyway tbh.

Good thread by the way.

?26m. That's twenty six MILLION pounds.

Crazy biscuits isn't it? That money would secure our club's future for years to come, and have change left over to save Dundee. :o

Wish I had your job! :lol:

It'd take me the best part of a decade to earn what Ronaldo or Yaya Toure earn in a WEEK. Wild stuff. As Picard says, it's going to have to stop at some point or football will self-destruct. I think that day is coming anyway tbh.

Good thread by the way.

The thing is, the clubs pay far 2 much and sometimes they are not worth what the club paid for the players it's just very annoying. But when you do get the player that's worth the money then it's good lol. And thanks :D

Archived