DISGUSTING!

i8hibsh

I was going to add this to the ?Penfold? thread but I want it to have it?s own.

The way some people talk on here about Craig Levein makes me sick.

Where did it all come from? When did it start?

Levein was an outstanding servant and patriot to our club, both as a player and as a manager, and has been very professional since leaving us also.

I didn?t like the way he left us for Leicester, but these things happen.

He, like many other Scotland managers before him is struggling with the job and fwiw thinks he is out his depth as Scotland manager, but why do we treat a Hearts great with such disrespect?

Anyone who holds Hearts with fondness in their hearts is alright by me ? and he does!

Ease of guys eh

Levein was an outstanding servant and patriot to our club, both as a player and as a manager, and has been very professional since leaving us also.

He, like many other Scotland managers before him is struggling with the job and fwiw thinks he is out his depth as Scotland manager, but why do we treat a Hearts great with such disrespect?

Anyone who holds Hearts with fondness in their hearts is alright by me ? and he does!

Ease of guys eh

Probably had a lot to do with his private life at the time.

I would agree with your point.

There?s a few reasons but the one I think has done him the most damage, in the eyes of Hearts fans anyway, was immediately agreeing to let Ferguson and McGregor back into the Scotland squad.

Doesn't bother me personally as I couldn't give a toss about Scotland but I don't think it did him any favours.

Ease of guys eh

For me this is the main sticking point, leaving on the eve of a MASSIVE European game was out of order IMO.

I'm more or less over it now though. I have no feelings of animosity or admiration towards him anymore, very meh.

Ease of guys eh

The bit in Bold...But, TBH, I don't tend to slate him, Couldn't give a Flying Fk about Glasgow Scotland.

Levien was a Great player and if he'd remained injury free, he would have been at Liverpool, Man Ure, one of the big teams in England (IMO)...He didn't remain injury free and Hearts stood by him the whole time, Again IMO, Hearts did more for Levien than Levien did for Hearts!!

I won't mention his "Flu Bug" in '86, but I know a lot of players were not happy with his attitude around the club at the time...Billy Big Baws :ninja:

The Old Tolbooth

There are a few people who reckon CL bottled it at Dens Park in 86 when he claimed he was ill, I'm not so sure and would like others views on this from posters who appear to be "in the know"

There's no doubting he was an absolutely superb defender for Hearts, one of the best I've ever seen, and I reckon his injuries stopped him going onto bigger and better things.

As a club manager I actually like the guy and the way he goes about his business, he's already guided Hearts to 2 third place finishes in succession (the only manager ever to do so), and Dundee Utd to a third place finish also, on very limited budgets it has to be said, however I get the distinct impression that international football management is just a step too far for him at this point in his career, and he would have been better getting more experience under his belt before taking the Scotland job on, he may prove me wrong on this front and I really hope he does, but I cannot forgive playing in Prague without a striker, that one is going to be talked about for years!!

Ease of guys eh

i like craig levein.

but i was quiet to critisize him before he'd even had a game behind him. i think he's far too negative to help scotland move forward. he backed up my thoughts against liechtenstein, lithuania, and the czech's. the performance against spain doesn't even come into it. scotland are going to struggle against everyone they play with him.

the way he set out the team against the czechs was ridiculous and it actually made me feel angry and it had the same effect on many others by the look of it. to not even be able to admit he got it wrong or even discuss it during an interview angered me even more.

i don't wish him ill, i just wish he wasn't involved with our international team as he's fast turning scotland into an embarrassment again.

the maroon tinted specs are in their case with this one and i'm afraid i'll base my opinion of the scotland manager without considering his background.

scotland and craig levein won't work and we'll be looking to 2014 for the world cup to try yet again to finally reach the finals of a major competition.

I know Craig fairly well and of all the things I could label him as, a bottler is not one of them. However, I've not had the 1986 conversation with him too much.

Idiots who come out with the 'Judas' p!sh because he took the Leicester job really need to have a look at their own lives and ask if they've a spotless record of decision-making. Craig had ambitions to manage down south, that was clear. He wouldn't have chosen to go how and when he did but his personal life was in turmoil and he needed a clean break for the sake of himself and his family. As Hearts fans you don't have to like it, but if you actually think that football should be immune from real life then you are a fool.

Craig wasn't born into a Hearts family, he didn't support them as a kid... He had a great time at Tannadice and a great affinity with the fans there... but ask him what he is and he'll tell you: He's a Jambo.

P.S. I dont agree with all of his footballing philosophies either... but I respect that he knows more about football than I do.

I would like to add something on the point about him leavng the club on the eve on an important European night. Although this was Robbo's first game in charge Levein did not just leave him to pick up the pieces.

Levein was at the match and I have no doubt did his best to assist Robbo and the club without taking any of the limelight away from Robbos big day, I know this to be fact because my Dad had a chat with Craig in the airport after the game.

I know Craig fairly well and of all the things I could label him as, a bottler is not one of them. However, I've not had the 1986 conversation with him too much.

Idiots who come out with the 'Judas' p!sh because he took the Leicester job really need to have a look at their own lives and ask if they've a spotless record of decision-making. Craig had ambitions to manage down south, that was clear. He wouldn't have chosen to go how and when he did but his personal life was in turmoil and he needed a clean break for the sake of himself and his family. As Hearts fans you don't have to like it, but if you actually think that football should be immune from real life then you are a fool.

Craig wasn't born into a Hearts family, he didn't support them as a kid... He had a great time at Tannadice and a great affinity with the fans there... but ask him what he is and he'll tell you: He's a Jambo.

P.S. I dont agree with all of his footballing philosophies either... but I respect that he knows more about football than I do.

For me, it wasn't the fact that he took the Leicester job, it was the when. He could have delayed taking it until after the Schalke game but he didn't. That's what riled me.

But as I said, I'm over it and don't hold any grudges against him.

EDIT: Just read Scallywag's post and, if that is true, then I'm happy to retract what I've said.

Must be the fading memory but when did CL get United third? Houston seems to have done better.

I used to find Levein very pleasant to chat to and remember many years ago him visiting a sick Celtic fan in Dunfermline when a former team mate could not make the effort. I did not like his comments about refs watching us for cheating, when in the huff that we got a result at tannadice.

I also think he has the jury firmly out as Scotland manager and seems to have lost the more engaging post match manner that he had earlier in his career.

Must be the fading memory but when did CL get United third? Houston seems to have done better.

Ask PH and he'll tell you it was Craig's team and he just had to keep them doing what CL had them doing. Remember where Utd were when Levein took over, then look at where they were when Houston got his chance. Think Houston's done well though.

...seems to have lost the more engaging post match manner that he had earlier in his career.

This I agree with and think it's something he needs to fix. Scotland is the first time I've seen him look nervous. Weight of expectation from the nation maybe... My worry is that it shows in the team. I want to see him having a laugh and winding up the reporters like he has done in his club jobs. He just looks too worried and afraid to be critical of any performances.

I can't fully recall what Levein said to my Dad about the Schalke game but I am fairly certain he said he had assisted Robbo in the build up and team selection but stayed in the background during the match. It may have looked to most people like he had just left us in the lurch but that was not the case.

The Old Tolbooth

Probably the most sensible post on this thread and I completely agree with the part in bold :thumbsup:

Jimmy McNulty

This minus the knowing him part.

ExPatHeartsman

The great servant bit makes me sick, if he hadn't got injured, he'd have been off to Tottenham quicker than he buggered off to Leicester twenty years later, Craig Levein owes Hearts alot more than we owe him :angry:

Rudi's Left Peg

I'm gonna be honest, he's one of my favourite guys in football.

Alex Ferguson has made tactical blunders

The Special One has made tactical blunders

yet everyone would kiss their grandmothers backside to have them as scotland manager.

CL is a die-hard jambo, and I know for a fact that when he was at Utd he was looking to find a way back to Tynie.

Lets not forget him singing the hearts song in the boozer after qualifying for Europe 8 odd years ago

Hero.

ExPatHeartsman

I'm gonna be honest, he's one of my favourite guys in football.

Alex Ferguson has made tactical blunders

The Special One has made tactical blunders

yet everyone would kiss their grandmothers backside to have them as scotland manager.

CL is a die-hard jambo, and I know for a fact that when he was at Utd he was looking to find a way back to Tynie.

Lets not forget him singing the hearts song in the boozer after qualifying for Europe 8 odd years ago

Hero.

I know for a fact when he was manager of Utd when Hearts were looking for a new manager, when I asked him if he wanted the job, he replied "do i ****" :angry:

Please spare me the diehard bollocks <_<

Rudolf's Mate

There?s a few reasons but the one I think has done him the most damage, in the eyes of Hearts fans anyway, was immediately agreeing to let Ferguson and McGregor back into the Scotland

This is totally incorrect as the knives were out for him well before that. You look at a lot of the posters on here saying since BF has been playing down south again he's be a standout for Brum and we'd be grateful to have him back... Not my words! Also CL bringing AM back into the squad looks like being masterstroke. With Gordon out we'd possibly have been badly beaten against Spain and the other lot. Ok I wasn't happy with these numpties but I'm a firm believer of picking ur best available squad......

Ok his selection was terrible on Friday night and I don't think he's cut out to be national manager but who else is there?!? Also doubt he'llake that mistake again playing no front man!!!

The great servant bit makes me sick, if he hadn't got injured, he'd have been off to Tottenham quicker than he buggered off to Leicester twenty years later, Craig Levein owes Hearts alot more than we owe him :angry:

You are right that he had a longer career at Hearts because of his injury problems.

But the idea that he "owes Hearts" something..... Just what exactly? How did you work that out? How much of what does he owe us?

And why does the "great servant" idea make you "sick"? He was a great player, one of the best we've seen in the last half century. And one of the best managers in that period. Even the Burley team was built on the defence he'd put together. You can be a "great servant" even if you would have left us when the right offer came along.

Can you think of any player who was offered big money to go elsewhere and decided to stay at Tynecastle? If that's what it takes to be a "great servant" there are none.

It's simple:-

•  
  • Hearts were good to Levein.
  • Levein was good for Hearts.
  • Neither owes the other anything.

ExPatHeartsman

You are right that he had a longer career at Hearts because of his injury problems.

But the idea that he "owes Hearts" something..... Just what exactly? How did you work that out? How much of what does he owe us?

And why does the "great servant" idea make you "sick"? He was a great player, one of the best we've seen in the last half century. And one of the best managers in that period. Even the Burley team was built on the defence he'd put together. You can be a "great servant" even if you would have left us when the right offer came along.

Can you think of any player who was offered big money to go elsewhere and decided to stay at Tynecastle? If that's what it takes to be a "great servant" there are none.

It's simple:-

•  
  • Hearts were good to Levein.
  • Levein was good for Hearts.
  • Neither owes the other anything.

The great servant thing makes me sick because he never has been, both times he came to Hearts, both as a player and a manager was to further his career, and both times he couldn't wait to go on to better things, he was there for himself, not Hearts.

You're right about there being no great servants these days though - with the possible exception of Gary Mackay - and that incudes Levein, so why try and make him out to be one? :blink:

And he owes Hearts because the club looked after him through his injury problems, it's just a pity it didn't happen in his Tottenham debut :unsure:

And he owes Hearts because the club looked after him through his injury problems, it's just a pity it didn't happen in his Tottenham debut :unsure:

He doesn't "owe" Hearts because he repaid them (us) with many fine performances as a player and he forged a strong team when a manager. What more could he have done?

How long would he have had to remain here as a manager to repay the debt he "owes"?

I'm happy to have players who want to further their careers. The opposite of that is a player who doesn't want to reach his potential.

I think that if you multiply "quality of performance" times "years service" you get a great servant. Levein more than qualifies (as does Gary Mackay - though nowadays we wouldn't have been able to hold on to either player for their whole career).

ExPatHeartsman

He doesn't "owe" Hearts because he repaid them (us) with many fine performances as a player and he forged a strong team when a manager. What more could he have done?

How long would he have had to remain here as a manager to repay the debt he "owes"?

I'm happy to have players who want to further their careers. The opposite of that is a player who doesn't want to reach his potential.

I think that if you multiply "quality of performance" times "years service" you get a great servant. Levein more than qualifies (as does Gary Mackay - though nowadays we wouldn't have been able to hold on to either player for their whole career).

I agree with alot you say, but do you agree with me when I say he wasn't a great servant?

This is totally incorrect as the knives were out for him well before that. You look at a lot of the posters on here saying since BF has been playing down south again he's be a standout for Brum and we'd be grateful to have him back... Not my words! Also CL bringing AM back into the squad looks like being masterstroke. With Gordon out we'd possibly have been badly beaten against Spain and the other lot. Ok I wasn't happy with these numpties but I'm a firm believer of picking ur best available squad......

Ok his selection was terrible on Friday night and I don't think he's cut out to be national manager but who else is there?!? Also doubt he'llake that mistake again playing no front man!!!

There were also posters on here calling him a bottler for allowing them back into the Scotland fold. You may be right in that the knives were out for him prior to that, but as I say it probably hasn't helped any.

As for it being a good decision in footballing terms, it probably is but I couldn't give a toss(!).

gorgie rd eh11

He owes Hearts **** all. When he played for HMFC he gave it everything he had, when he managed HMFC he gave it everything he had. If he had went to spurs it would not have been his decision, it would have been Hearts cashing in on him as this was pre-Bosman. He went to Leicester for a huge wage increase, like 99.99% of people would do.

ExPatHeartsman

He owes Hearts **** all. When he played for HMFC he gave it everything he had, when he managed HMFC he gave it everything he had. If he had went to spurs it would not have been his decision, it would have been Hearts cashing in on him as this was pre-Bosman. He went to Leicester for a huge wage increase, like 99.99% of people would do.

Agreed, but the only reason he's a great servant is because he got injured abd couldn't leave, hardly makes him the great loyal Hearts man some would have you believe he is :unsure:

Ease of guys eh

Are you seriously saying that as we are Hearts Supporters we don't have the right to, or shouldn't criticize Levein in his role of Scotland Manager just because he used to play for us and was the Manager?

If so, sorry I don't buy that.

As a Scotland fan I was appalled by his reaction to the criticism received after the Lichtenstein game, and the arse he made of himself celebrating as if we won the World Cup, losing his glasses in the process. As for the Czech game, enough said.

If you want the top jobs, dealing withthe flak when things go wrong is part of the territory. Any Scotland Manager would have savaged for playing the way we did in Prague and against Lichtenstein.

Posters on this forum have regularly criticised the Club's previous manager for his tactics, so why should the National Team manager be any different.

United were not better than 5th in the league when Levein was there. Houston took them to 3rd and won the Scottish Cup last summer after Levein left in December 2009 (with United 4th in the league, 5 points behind Hibs).

A man with his record - no trophies, a bad record in the Cups for all his teams, mediocre recent league history, failure in English football - should not be Scotland manager.

ExPatHeartsman

United were not better than 5th in the league when Levein was there. Houston took them to 3rd and won the Scottish Cup last summer after Levein left in December 2009 (with United 4th in the league, 5 points behind Hibs).

A man with his record - no trophies, a bad record in the Cups for all his teams, mediocre recent league history, failure in English football - should not be Scotland manager.

He also subjected me to watching the most boring Hearts side i can ever remember for a few years, it was brutal :ermm:

So who should? Scotlands problem is not the manager but the dross available to select.

I assume all on here who have an opinion of Levein in a Hearts top was of a young Alan Hansen?

So who should? Scotlands problem is not the manager but the dross available to select.

I assume all on here who have an opinion of Levein in a Hearts top was of a young Alan Hansen?

He could have been an amazing player. So strong and quick, hard when he needed to be - could have been a complete defender but for the injuries. Nowhere near as good on the ball as Hansen though.

As for who should be manager. I would prefer a Scot as manager. So the Premier league are Ferguson, then Smith and McLeish. Obviously we would get none of those. Next group down for me are Moyes, George Graham (but he has been out of the game too long), Souness and Strachan. As we would not get any of the others, Strachan would be my choice. Tremendous playing career under good managers, winner of trophies as a manager, great European record.

Are you seriously saying that as we are Hearts Supporters we don't have the right to, or shouldn't criticize Levein in his role of Scotland Manager just because he used to play for us and was the Manager?

If so, sorry I don't buy that.

As a Scotland fan I was appalled by his reaction to the criticism received after the Lichtenstein game, and the arse he made of himself celebrating as if we won the World Cup, losing his glasses in the process. As for the Czech game, enough said.

If you want the top jobs, dealing withthe flak when things go wrong is part of the territory. Any Scotland Manager would have savaged for playing the way we did in Prague and against Lichtenstein.

Posters on this forum have regularly criticised the Club's previous manager for his tactics, so why should the National Team manager be any different.

No

The Levein bashing started when he was at United

He also subjected me to watching the most boring Hearts side i can ever remember for a few years, it was brutal :ermm:

Got the job done more often than not though.

ExPatHeartsman

Got the job done more often than not though.

I must've forgotten the trophy we won under him then, finishing third playing his style of football isn't getting the job done as far as I'm concerned.

I assume you nodded off during Csaba Lazlo's reign.

Can't blame you.

His team made Leveins look adventurous.

ExPatHeartsman

I assume you nodded off during Csaba Lazlo's reign.

Can't blame you.

His team made Leveins look adventurous.

Yes, it was much the same, Csaba wasn't a great servant like Levein though :rolleyes:

Ease of guys eh

B0001AVZXA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Got the job done more often than not though. Edit: Phone decided to repost! Considering Levein's budget at that time he done a pretty good job imo.

gorgie rd eh11

Csaba Laszlo, Joe Jordan?

Remember the season we beat hibs 5-1(DeVries), beat them 2-1(Stamp) and drew 4-4(Weir)? That was brutal eh. :rolleyes:

ExPatHeartsman

Csaba Laszlo, Joe Jordan?

Remember the season we beat hibs 5-1(DeVries), beat them 2-1(Stamp) and drew 4-4(Weir)? That was brutal eh. :rolleyes:

The first of these games produced good football, the other two were both dire but produced brilliant endings, Leveins Hearts teams were mind numbingly boring, bringing up three exciting games out of about eighty doesn't change that.

gorgie rd eh11

The first of these games produced good football, the other two were both dire but produced brilliant endings, Leveins Hearts teams were mind numbingly boring, bringing up three exciting games out of about eighty doesn't change that.

What about beating celtic 2-1(Austin McCann)? I could pick more.

Levein played whatever way he thought would get him a result, it wasn't always pretty, but to dismiss it all as brutal, mind numbingly boring and dire is :teehee:.

I seem to remember quite a few 3-0 wins.

I definitely remember enjoying watching such a well-organised defence that your nerves didn't jangle every time the opposition crossed the half-way line. That never bored me.

And I'll end my reminiscences with my first memory of seeing him play - it was one of these occasional "Who's that? Looks like a player..." moments.

And one more: when Levein was moved into central defence in the 85-86 season, the way that he and Jardine (also Zico and Black/Whittaker to a lesser extent) patiently knocked the ball around at the back waiting for an opening to appear.

What about beating celtic 2-1(Austin McCann)? I could pick more.

Levein played whatever way he thought would get him a result, it wasn't always pretty, but to dismiss it all as brutal, mind numbingly boring and dire is :teehee:.

de Vries in the derby... :whistling:

One of the finest players ever to pull on the Hearts jersey - I really do feel sorry for anyone under the age that didn't get to see him 84-88. And it fills me with sadness that we most likely won't see someone as good as him in a Hearts jersey again. Without the knee injury, he would have went to the very top of the game.

As a manager, I liked him because he worked well with what was at his disposal and instilled a great will to win within a fairly limited squad.

Tynie legend - always has been, always will be. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a parallel universe.

Guest vanbasten1874

This is spot on he managed us through obligatory and selfish reasons and was definately waiting for an opportunity ala leicester to come along then was out the door quicker than a rat up a drain pipe never in a million years a die hard jambo . Bobby Walker die hard jambo Craig Levein opportunistic [Mod Edit] .

Now correct me if I'm wrong but did you not start a 'mon-the-Czechs thread last week i8? :unsure:

I did (but fail to see the relevance here) redm

It was come on the Czechs to knock 2 lumps of excrement outta Naismith not to win the game.

This thread is about the way we treat Levein.

I think we don't pay him enough respect as an ex Hearts player.

I could not care that he is Scotland manager.

It started way before

Archived