Basil Brush - racist!!!

Therapist

Travellers selling pegs and white heather?

Is there something not true in that statement?

Thats what they do when they come round my street.

But stereotyping is seen as non PC in todays world.

Boaby Ewing
Travellers selling pegs and white heather?

Is there something not true in that statement?

Thats what they do when they come round my street.

But stereotyping is seen as non PC in todays world.

Really? They tend to just break into cars round my way. :P

The BBC should move with the times and depict minorities accurately.

They could have borrowed "scoop" and "dizzy" from the set of Bob The Builder and had Basil and the gypsies doing some dodgy tarmac work.

I think the correct term is "giving expression to their unique cultural and ethnic identity by nicking stuff". :eek:

Prince Buaben

Or manhole covers or clothes of the washing line..;)

How did they see it If they don't have a TV?

I would be checking to see If they had a paid up TV license before taking it any further.

I am not allowed to say that Dave.:)

Is there a more boring or redundant phrase than PC brigade or any of its variations.

They stereotyped a whole group of people and recieved one complaint. Woop de doo.

How this is even news i'll never know. Perhaps people should take a look a bit further away and realise whats actually important in the world.

Is there a more boring or redundant phrase than PC brigade or any of its variations.

Sadly, the PC Brigade is very real and are influencing more and more of our daily lives. Currently they control our words, but unless we do something it won't be long before they control our thoughts too. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Time for the Great British Public to show a bit of back bone and send a message to the PC Brigade that we won't have their attitudes foisted on us.

Sadly, the PC Brigade is very real and are influencing more and more of our daily lives. Currently they control our words, but unless we do something it won't be long before they control our thoughts too. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Time for the Great British Public to show a bit of back bone and send a message to the PC Brigade that we won't have their attitudes foisted on us.

Fight the power man.

Fight the power man.

Will do. Thanks for your support. ;)

The Mighty Thor

My one question to said 'traveller' would have been this;

Do you have a television license?

On a side note i've yet to see a traveller selling pegs or heather, the ones i've seen so far in my 40 years have tended to be destroying someone elses land with oil drum BBQ's, bits of washing machine, stray dogs and ferral kids scattered about the place.

My one question to said 'traveller' would have been this;

Do you have a television license?

On a side note i've yet to see a traveller selling pegs or heather, the ones i've seen so far in my 40 years have tended to be destroying someone elses land with oil drum BBQ's, bits of washing machine, stray dogs and ferral kids scattered about the place.

Or supporting the Wee Team

:107years::107years:

Narrative Arc

the best line i ever heard about PC'ness was that, in the late eighties and early nineties, was that...if your name was Guy Chapman and you were playing the comedy store, they would have introduced you as...Person Person Person...

Carl Weathers

Fight the fight!

Maybe if they don't like people mocking them, they should get proper jobs and move into a proper house.

The White Cockade

Boom Boom!!!!!

Don't worry - Mr Derek will sort it out

or was it Mr Roy.....

davemclaren
Fight the fight!

Yes, we should all be more like Bernard Manning and the world would be a better place.... :cool_shades:

Carl Weathers
Yes, we should all be more like Bernard Manning and the world would be a better place.... :cool_shades:

Well said!

;)

King of the North

what a ridiculous post.

How are the PC brigade 'very real'? Who is in them? Do they have uniforms? How do you join?

One numpty complains about Basil Brush and gypsies, is rightly ignored by the police, yet somehow this is evidence of 'PC gone mad'?

Whatever the feck PC means...

As for 'it won't be long before they control our thoughts too...' - what a ludicrous thing to say. Are Guardian reading lefties going to insert microchips into your brain while you are distracted reading your Daily Mail?

Ignoring nonsense stories like this, the term PC is completely meaningless, and is generally only used by people who want to do things ordinary people would consider unacceptable.

Carl Spackler
what a ridiculous post.

How are the PC brigade 'very real'? Who is in them? Do they have uniforms? How do you join?

One numpty complains about Basil Brush and gypsies, is rightly ignored by the police, yet somehow this is evidence of 'PC gone mad'?

Whatever the feck PC means...

As for 'it won't be long before they control our thoughts too...' - what a ludicrous thing to say. Are Guardian reading lefties going to insert microchips into your brain while you are distracted reading your Daily Mail?

Ignoring nonsense stories like this, the term PC is completely meaningless, and is generally only used by people who want to do things ordinary people would consider unacceptable.

How do you define what an ordinary person is?

King of the North
Incorrrect.

Individuals such as yourself - who are rabidly PC - may not like it, but it is a well defined and meaningful term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

What is interesting, if you read the link you provided, is that 'the term is used almost exclusively in a pejorative sense' i.e. the term is weighted in a way that implies disapproval. It is not a neutral phrase.

The article also says that 'critics argue that the term "political correctness" is a straw man invented by conservatives in the 1990s in order to challenge progressive social change'. A straw man, i.e. creating something that doesn't exist to attack something that does.

Example - UEFA decide that the singing of songs which are derogatory to different races or religions are unacceptable. The cry goes up ' Next we won't be able to sing anything at the football. This is PC gone mad!'. Straw man created, we are all going to hell in a handcart etc...

From your own link - a term invented by conservatives in order to challenge progressive social change. Casual racism and bigotry are unacceptable now - that's not Politically Correct, that's just correct. Casual racists and bigots, like yourself, don't like it - so you reach for a cliched, meaningless and easy phrase you think backs up your case - PC.

Any time I see anyone use the phrase PC, it simply proves they klnow they are fighting a losing battle.

Having said that, the viewer who complained about Basil Brushwas not being 'PC' - they were just fecking stupid.

And as for your assertion that I am rabidly 'PC'... wrong yet again. I don't like racism, sectarianism or Rangers FC. In fact, there are some particularly un PC songs about Rangers which I have no problem with. Be wary of defining anyone who disagrees with Hearts fans singing Hun songs as PC.

The Old Tolbooth
What is interesting, if you read the link you provided, is that 'the term is used almost exclusively in a pejorative sense' i.e. the term is weighted in a way that implies disapproval. It is not a neutral phrase.

The article also says that 'critics argue that the term "political correctness" is a straw man invented by conservatives in the 1990s in order to challenge progressive social change'. A straw man, i.e. creating something that doesn't exist to attack something that does.

Example - UEFA decide that the singing of songs which are derogatory to different races or religions are unacceptable. The cry goes up ' Next we won't be able to sing anything at the football. This is PC gone mad!'. Straw man created, we are all going to hell in a handcart etc...

From your own link - a term invented by conservatives in order to challenge progressive social change. Casual racism and bigotry are unacceptable now - that's not Politically Correct, that's just correct. Casual racists and bigots, like yourself, don't like it - so you reach for a cliched, meaningless and easy phrase you think backs up your case - PC.

Any time I see anyone use the phrase PC, it simply proves they klnow they are fighting a losing battle.

Having said that, the viewer who complained about Basil Brushwas not being 'PC' - they were just fecking stupid.

And as for your assertion that I am rabidly 'PC'... wrong yet again. I don't like racism, sectarianism or Rangers FC. In fact, there are some particularly un PC songs about Rangers which I have no problem with. Be wary of defining anyone who disagrees with Hearts fans singing Hun songs as PC.

Same thing innit?

Archived