High School Attended{or not} what was yours ?

Guest vanbasten1874

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, inspector said:

Huck(?) McPhee - Maths

Liddiard -  English

Scott - Geography

McCheyne - Art

Dot Hesp nee Brown - Biology

McCall - Latin

Rutherford - Music

Peggy Arneil - Maths

Stone - Geography

Sydserff - Physics(?)

Farmer - Chemistry

Raeburn 69-75

Was Peggy Arneil not Geography? And iirc Sydeserff's wife worked in the Library for a while. 

Bob Neill - Physics

Bob Chambers - Economics (who was going out with a 6th girl from George Watsons when they were in George Square circa 75).

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• inspector

• N Lincs Jambo

• merrymac

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Barnes was definitely PE.

Bloody white polo shirts before they were even fashionable.

Chalmers?  You are quite correct. I am thinking of Chapman.

Barnes was a good guy who was "entertaining" the young hockey mistress.

Still together now I believe.

Chalmers was a ****ing sadist.

5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was Peggy Arneil not Geography? And iirc Sydeserff's wife worked in the Library for a while. 

Bob Neill - Physics

Bob Chambers - Economics (who was going out with a 6th girl from George Watsons when they were in George Square circa 75).

Peggy taught us geometry as well as geography. Forgotten about Bob Neill. An ok lad iirc.

12 hours ago, jb102 said:

I must be much younger than you Morgan .Doesn't ring a bell.

I’m only 23 too.

Strange that :whistling:

3 hours ago, jb102 said:

Barnes was a good guy who was "entertaining" the young hockey mistress.

Still together now I believe.

Chalmers was a ****ing sadist.

Yeah, I liked Chester too

Chalmers did indeed like dishing it out.

Wouldn't get away with it nowadays that’s for sure.

This thread has been good fun.

12 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

My mum was good friends with Tony (the Taff) Welton's wife. She taught at the school during the war so it shows how far that couple's relationship with the school went back. Never really believed the rumours about him. 

I do have one story about him but best not put it on here!

12 hours ago, inspector said:

Huck(?) McPhee - Maths

Liddiard -  English

Scott - Geography

McCheyne - Art

Dot Hesp nee Brown - Biology

McCall - Latin

Rutherford - Music

Peggy Arneil - Maths

Stone - Geography

Sydserff - Physics(?)

Farmer - Chemistry

Raeburn 69-75

I’d forgotten that Dorothy Brown was called Hesp. 

Good memory from you :thumb:

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’d forgotten that Dorothy Brown was called Hesp. 

Good memory from you :thumb:

I think I was 2nd or 3rd year when Dot Brown arrived. She liked a mini-skirt! We had her for biology and never in the history of dropped pencils were so many dropped in her class. Some 6th years including prefects bounced or carried her mini into the Quad as a jape though I'm not sure she or the beak saw it that way. She married Colin Hesp who I think played in the scrum for the FP's but definitely divorced some years later.

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I think I was 2nd or 3rd year when Dot Brown arrived. She liked a mini-skirt! We had her for biology and never in the history of dropped pencils were so many dropped in her class. Some 6th years including prefects bounced or carried her mini into the Quad as a jape though I'm not sure she or the beak saw it that way. She married Colin Hesp who I think played in the scrum for the FP's but definitely divorced some years later.

And that was why she started wearing trousers - nae fun

17 hours ago, Morgan said:

Castle old boy.

Castle.

Ask Mr Hastie.

17 hours ago, Morgan said:

Just spotted this thread.

Does not surprise me that you were in Castle ,Morgan - all the best people were :angel:

33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Is this the George Heriot's former pupils reunion and remember days gone by thread?:laugh:

I don't want to see any of the *******s ever again.

My fondest memory of  the place was when I was shown the door in 84.

That and driving my motorbike along the art corridor.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Is this the George Heriot's former pupils reunion and remember days gone by thread?:laugh:

It is John!

Problem? :lol:

:wink:

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

For a rugby playing school the level of support for the JT,s over the years has been very strong.

5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The dropped pencil routine was most popular with our lot too.

That, followed by small purse mirror (the type your mum would carry) attached to a 12 inch ruler or better still, a metre stick, lowered stealthily to the floor as she stood beside your desk.

For three weeks I thought there was a crack in the mirror....

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

For a rugby playing school the level of support for the JT,s over the years has been very strong.

Absolutely Mac :thumb:

5 hours ago, merrymac said:

Just spotted this thread.

Does not surprise me that you were in Castle ,Morgan - all the best people were :angel:

You were a blue badge too then I assume?

5 hours ago, merrymac said:

PM , PM !!!!

Perhaps old bean, perhaps..

:lol:

Just now, Morgan said:

You were a blue badge too then I assume?

Perhaps old bean, perhaps..

:lol:

Yep Castle all my days 5-18.

Always contesting with Lauriston for top dogs.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

It is John!

Problem? :lol:

:wink:

Never as posh as us over the road at St Thomas's:laugh:

No problem whatsoever ya radge :laugh:

38 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Never as posh as us over the road at St Thomas's:laugh:

No problem whatsoever ya radge :laugh:

Love it John :2thumbsup:

Radge :lol:

The Future's Maroon
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

The dropped pencil routine was most popular with our lot too.

That, followed by small purse mirror (the type your mum would carry) attached to a 12 inch ruler or better still, a metre stick, lowered stealthily to the floor as she stood beside your desk.

For three weeks I thought there was a crack in the mirror....

We were never that inventive at Tynie....wasted years! ?

Edited by The Future's Maroon

N Lincs Jambo
On 2/14/2018 at 12:07, Seymour M Hersh said:

Didn't realise we were at the same school. Don't recall Dot Hesp being called by any other name so assume you must have been before me. I was 75-81 (also Raeburn). Beginning to think GHFPs must be about the biggest group on JKB. Like someone said, not bad for a rugby school.

34 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Didn't realise we were at the same school. Don't recall Dot Hesp being called by any other name so assume you must have been before me. I was 75-81 (also Raeburn). Beginning to think GHFPs must be about the biggest group on JKB. Like someone said, not bad for a rugby school.

Being part of the chess club that never played chess but were very good with cards ;)...in the physics class rooms after school

Having paint thrown at me by Huxtable the art teacher during one class

It's all coming back to me now !!

Being all boys at that time the girls at St Tams and St Georges were always fun to meet along with those attending Mary Erskines...you had to have some females to play mixed doubles with at various sports

Edited by CJGJ

19 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Being part of the chess club that never played chess but were very good with cards ;)...in the physics class rooms after school

Being all boys at that time the girls at St Tams and St Georges were always fun to meet along with those attending Mary Erskines...you had to have some females to play mixed doubles with at various sports

St Tam's had alot of girls/young ladies to go around as seeing from 1975. There was only us 80 boys to 700 females.

N Lincs Jambo
34 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

St Tam's had alot of girls/young ladies to go around as seeing from 1975. There was only us 80 boys to 700 females.

Pig in shit sort of situ John :lol:

N Lincs Jambo
56 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Christ I'd forgotten about Huxtable. I always had Mr McCheyne for art. Funny how if you had seen him in the street you wouldn't have batted an eyelid however he was the one person you didn't want to get the belt off all the time I was there. Kind of explains why everyone bar none behaved themselves in his class.

3 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

N Lincs Jambo?

Was the beak Donald Dewar or Alan MacDonald when you were there?

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

N Lincs Jambo?

McDonald from start to finish when I was there Morgan.

14 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Christ I'd forgotten about Huxtable. I always had Mr McCheyne for art. Funny how if you had seen him in the street you wouldn't have batted an eyelid however he was the one person you didn't want to get the belt off all the time I was there. Kind of explains why everyone bar none behaved themselves in his class.

1969 and my first day. McCheyne was our registration teacher. He put a piece of chalk on a desk and obliterated it. Never pissed about in his class. He was also a bugger when it came to hair checks.

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, inspector said:

1969 and my first day. McCheyne was our registration teacher. He put a piece of chalk on a desk and obliterated it. Never pissed about in his class. He was also a bugger when it came to hair checks.

Ha the old hair on the hand/wrist routine to see if you could sue the school for drawing blood. Heard of loads of kids apparently trying it but never heard of it amounting to anything.

2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Ha the old hair on the hand/wrist routine to see if you could sue the school for drawing blood. Heard of loads of kids apparently trying it but never heard of it amounting to anything.

It was the length of your hair he was checking.

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, inspector said:

It was the length of your hair he was checking.

Brilliant, talk about talking at cross purposes! Long hair was permitted when I started in 75 but had to be clean and well groomed. Did they never use the hair on the palm of hand up to wrist routine when you were there? I saw a few try it with Fat Mac but he never drew blood as his belting technique was utterly chronic :lol:

No. They tugged our 'side-burns' down. If they came down below your ear lobes, you had to get a hair cut. Also had to wear shorts in my first year. My pals in Currie ripped it out of me. Changed in 2nd year , when we were allowed to wear long trousers.

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

N Lincs Jambo?

Correction to my post.

Meant to say William Dewar.

Too many beers to blame for me typing Donald!

1 hour ago, inspector said:

No. They tugged our 'side-burns' down. If they came down below your ear lobes, you had to get a hair cut. Also had to wear shorts in my first year. My pals in Currie ripped it out of me. Changed in 2nd year , when we were allowed to wear long trousers.

The shorts were horrendous.

Especially the woollen ones that chapped your legs in wet weather.

1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Brilliant, talk about talking at cross purposes! Long hair was permitted when I started in 75 but had to be clean and well groomed. Did they never use the hair on the palm of hand up to wrist routine when you were there? I saw a few try it with Fat Mac but he never drew blood as his belting technique was utterly chronic :lol:

Was Fat Mac the Reverend A.S. MacPherson?

RE teacher?