Memories of 1998

droid

We all the remember the cup win, but for me there were so many memorable moments about the day as a hole.

From one of the bus members taking all the unwanted pies from the buffet and trying to sell them to the locals in the middle of east kilbride to misssing our bus after the game and bumping into 20 others from the same bus and wondering how the hell we'd get home.

We all the remember the cup win, but for me there were so many memorable moments about the day as a hole.

From one of the bus members taking all the unwanted pies from the buffet and trying to sell them to the locals in the middle of east kilbride to misssing our bus after the game and bumping into 20 others from the same bus and wondering how the hell we'd get home.

You must have had an absolute belter of a day!!

I had a fiver on Hearts to win 2-1 with Micky to score the first goal. 80/1 get in there!!!

PS Why when you have a winning bet do you always say to yourself, I should have put more on that?

Quite simply one of the best days of my life!

Ironic story - back to Edinburgh and like thousands of other Jambos lined the streets along St Johns Road in Corstorphine. Wife dropped me off and took 2 young sons back to Motherwell. As time wore on and becoming a bit concerned as time passed we wondered where the team was.

A wee woman beside us said "Dont worry son - they always come back this way when they win the cup! (Seems her and her late husband had stood at this very spot when Hearts returned with the Cup in 1956!)

After an eternity we decided we had missed the Team Bus, and duly made our way into town to start the celebrations - only to find Mrs Gowestjambo who has zero interest in football had been stopped at the roundabout at Sighthill by the police who had stopped the traffic to let the team bus through got a front seat view as the team was parading the cup at the front of the bus!

And we were left in Corstorphine with the wee wifey who was convinced the team bus would pass that way - obviously the Sighthill bypass was not built in 1956!

Still small price to pay...........

Still overwhelmed when I think about that day.

I remember thinking, when Stephane Adam snuck in and hit that shot "hey! we might get a corner here"... and being stunned and numb for about two seconds when the ball hit the net.

Navigating our passage by Bairds Bar at Barrowlands as the hooped demon fans were "celebrating" was a tense and sobering end to the day.First pint in Glasgow City Centre went down a storm.

Best day as a Hearts supporter bar none......Sunday was terrific as well,the walk behind/along side the bus was special!

:thumbsup:

The reief ,joy and emotion when the final whistle went was amazing. :thumbsup: Felt like a massive weight being lifted off my shoulders after years of disappointment. Second only after watching my 2 kids being born. :D

Oh and getting married in case Mrs Robbo has a wee look at this. :o If she doesnt 98 wins hands down. :woot:

Missing the cup parade to revise the good old Chemcord notes for Higher Chemistry on the Monday.

for me it 98 was a fantastic year won the cup in may and wife gave birth to my daughter in july i wanted to call her lothian but wife said michaela but its shortened to micki

for me it 98 was a fantastic year won the cup in may and wife gave birth to my daughter in july i wanted to call her lothian but wife said michaela but its shortened to micki

I Called my kid Cameron After CC :thumbsup:

Toxteth O'Grady

What a lovely sunny day and brilliant night, I held hands with Jambos either side of me in the last 10 mins of the game, almost couldn't watch the game and the joy/relief at the end was amazing.

Back in Gorgie that night was crazy, free pints in Stratties, somebody singing on top of the railway bridge at the Station Tavern, the Fire brigade coming to the Wheatsheaf and loads of quiet old boys I'd known for years were blootered and going mental.

Everybody in cars tooting at all Jambos.

Staggering/crawling 3 miles home. Room spinning when I got home but I still couldn't sleep, I just kept thinking "We've won the cup".

Oh and I just remembered the Hobos had just been relegated :lol:

I went to JJB at Hermiston and bought a replica shirt, which I treasure to this day. Has cup finalists embroidered on it. Train through,alone. Never had a drink all day. Beautiful day. Enjoyed the game up until about 20 to go then torture. Only a Jambo who had been through 86 would understand the emotion at the end. Train home, walked through mental Gorgie and saw the team bus near the prison. As someone else said. Best day of my life after my daughter being born. Weekends just don't get better than that and I reckon, even winning the league would struggle to beat it. I never believed it was going to happen after so many dissapointments. I'm not a cryer but I cried like a dick at the final whistle and, no matter who he plays for now I cannot bring myself to have a pop at the "big horse". Wasn't at 2006 but doubt if it would have been the same.

I was in that group!

How lucky were we to find that boy with the minibus!

I was in that group!

How lucky were we to find that boy with the minibus!

you with luckies then big c?

SectionDJambo

I remember the atmosphere on Gorgie Road the previous saturday was excellent after a match against Dunfermline, I think. We had decided to have an end of season bash in the area. It was as though we all felt that our time was coming.

I didn't have much of a drink after the final. I wanted to remember how I felt after so many years of disappointment.

The book which Hearts helped create, called "That'll be the Day", which had stories from fans who were there that day, is a brilliant recollection of the lengths that some fans went to get to the match, and the overpowering joy and relief of our success.

A perfect weekend. All 12 who played are still Gorgie Legends in my eyes, even David Weir and Jim Hamilton, who came back to bite us a bit with other clubs. Weir had a late equaliser saving tackle which many seem to forget. Much more significant than Robbie's tackle in 2006. And Hamilton came on and repelled high ball after high ball into the danger area for the last 15 minutes or so. And although John Robertson didn't play, he more than deserved his medal for his massive and unique contribution to Hearts.

Say What Again

I recall my heart literally sinking when Wille Young (was it?) signaled the free kick at the edge of the box in the dying seconds.

I was convinced he'd given a penalty.

I dropped my head in my hands, only to get a pat on the back and hear my old mans mate tell me 'He's no gave it, son'.

Rudolf's Mate

I managed to get tickets for those leather seats with extra leg space directly across from the old main stand. Me & my mates had our tops off due to the heat (& alcohol) and I spent 10 of the last 15 mins in the toilet and actually prayed to god to give us this cup! I decided to head back up for the last 5 & I can honestly say I?m getting goose bumps thinking about it. Most amazing day ever. Spent the whole night celebrating and woke up at 8pm Sunday evening having missed the parade!!!!

There was something about this game, we knew it was our time. One of my mates even rented out a maroon chauffeur driven Daimler or Jaguar for him and some of his buddies, as he was sure we were going to win.

where do you start? Typical cup final day routine...beers on bus on the way through to a club in cambuslang for 9 in the morning!

Fast forward to the game......when the 2nd goal went in i cried tears of joy but also at what it might end up meaning.....HMFC winning a trophy!

It was sheer and utter intensity all the way to the final whistle but the atmosphere never let up...the Hearts fans were absolutely brilliant...we didn`t let nerves get the better of us and stuck behind the team all the way...and even after the Huns goal. WE WANTED IT SO BAD.....the BELIEVE slogan was 8 years too late.

Then i got slaughtered as the celebrations began when we got home. A few beers on the bus home contributed too. From Gorgie then back to The Dodger in Sighthill, which was decked out in maroon and white and heaving with Jam Tarts....the place was bouncing all night(Hibs pub my erse.)

A truly wonderful day from start to finish.

Shouting "you big ******* *****" (or something similar) at a big lanky ginger guy who ran into my 12 year old brother knocking him to the ground without apologising outside Celtic Park.

It was the first time i swore in front of my parents without them going mental - presumably because they agreed with me.

PS. If you are that lanky ginger guy - you are a ****

Carl Fredrickson

Going to the game we were going to walk through the Parkhead Forge "shopping centre" and the security guard at the door told us to take our scarves off as no club colours were allowed. I politely pointed out that all of us were wearing replica tops!

After the game - the drive back to Gorgie was amazing. Tooting horns and the Hearts song blaring in Gorgie.

The sense of relief was as great as the euphoria.

Best day of my life BAR NONE!

Ray Winstone

I managed to get tickets for those leather seats with extra leg space directly across from the old main stand. Me & my mates had our tops off due to the heat (& alcohol) and I spent 10 of the last 15 mins in the toilet and actually prayed to god to give us this cup! I decided to head back up for the last 5 & I can honestly say I?m getting goose bumps thinking about it. Most amazing day ever. Spent the whole night celebrating and woke up at 8pm Sunday evening having missed the parade!!!!

There was something about this game, we knew it was our time. One of my mates even rented out a maroon chauffeur driven Daimler or Jaguar for him and some of his buddies, as he was sure we were going to win.

Not talking about 'Big Jim' are you?

When coming off the supporters bus the driver said make sure you all have you're* tickets as you won't get back on the bus until after the game.

My mate put his hand in his pocket and thought his ticket was there.Almost at the ground the stewards asked to see the tickets.My mate discovered he didn't have his ticket after all.

Him and another guy walked round to the main entrance.On the way he was offered tickets for the Rangers end which he declined.Anyway almost in tears and pleading with the guy at the ticket office.The head guy came out and took pity and asked him if he knew his section, seat number etc and he said his ticket was next to his mate that was with him.The guy gave him another ticket and he was in :thumbsup:

* For you Acey :thumbsup:

Anymore mistakes I've made you can **** off :lol:

What a day, what a weekend. I had duly packed a bag as I knew if we won that I would be spending a few days in Edinburgh. I got home to Fife on the Tuesday, 3 day hangover and several hundred pounds worse off. Loved it, every boozer was buzzing with jambos singing Hearts songs, only the Hobo dj in luckies put a dampner on it on the Sunday night by refusing to let us sing daydream believer, you would have thought his team had been relegated or something.

Beautiful sunny day.

Burst out crying instead of celebrating like I thought I would have done

when the ref blew the final whistle.

Arriving back in Edinburgh sitting in the station bar with my brother after the match thinking we should be on the Corstorphine road to watch the cup coming back.

A really old man sitting next to me said dont worry son the bus will come along the Gorgie road.

It did when we won it back in 1956.

He was right and the whole pub went out on to the street when we heard it was getting close and the excitment was building up outside the pub window.

Had lost my voice through so much singing and celebrating by the time the day had turned into the late night.

Wonderful day!! :thumbsup:

remember on the bus home coming along through sighthill and all the stay at home fans waving at us as if we were the team bringing back the cup. three days of celebration and I missed a family do at my girlfriends, the funny thing was she seen me arriving back in edinburgh.

hearts_crazy

I just remember not being there due to work commitments. I was gutted, because i was there in 76 when we lost to Rangers, and in 86 when we lost to Aberdeen (Luckily I managed to be there when we repeated the feat in 2006).

I remember watching on TV, just about knocking the light off the ceiling when Adam scored the second and (literally) hiding behind the couch when McCoist came on. I was sooooo ecstatic when the final whistle went. I walked from Parkhead (Edinburgh's Parkhead) to the corner of Gorgie Road and McLeod St and waited for over an hour as the crowds gathered. I was at the same place in 2006 strangely only that time we just made it and no more. I also remember all the neighbours with their Hearts banners and scarves hanging out their windows, good times.

Missing the cup parade to revise the good old Chemcord notes for Higher Chemistry on the Monday.

**** that!!!

Standard Grade Chemistry was the only SG I got a General Grade. Can honestly say that I couldn't give a flying.....

Harry Palmer

Busting my knuckles open as I punched the ceiling when Adam scored. :thumbsup:

Then getting on the 1st train from Dunbar into Edinburgh straight after the match....train services were shite then and are shite now.

Only to find out someone had a spare ticket but didn't take it up a few days later... :down:

Oh and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxOFaFWuyFU

Neil Pointons video diary...

I just remember feeling unbelievably nervous and anxious as the game was about to get underway. I'd been to both the two finals in the previous seasons and not felt the least bit nervous but there was something different about this game. We'd had such a good reason and really matched the Old Firm. Because of that, it felt like if we didn't do it this time, we'd never do it.

My nerves were crippling me so much that I didn't celebrate us winning the penalty, and barely celebrated the goal. It just made me terrified. To quote Martin Lawrence, "the shit just got real." We now had something to lose. Rangers had come back against us before, so I knew defeat was still a real possibility. But at that point, the idea of losing after being a goal up felt like the reality might actually kill me.

Then the second bounced over the line. At this point I did what any Hearts fan should. I lost my mind. It really was our time.

We began to play the best football we had played all day. Flogel flicked the ball over Gough. Then he had a good chance with a header. I began to dream. We weren't only going to beat Rangers in this final, we were going to hammer them.

Then McCoist, Ally ******* McCoist. The goal was just so ******* annoying because it basically came out of nothing. We'd dealt with their pressure so well and yet were undone by a simple ball through the middle. Back to the crippling nerves.

People always say they thought he pointed to the spot. The fact of the matter was: EVERYONE DID. One moment Rangers had a penalty to make it 2-2. Immediately our minds raced and calculated that we'd have to endure extra time and that, having lost a two goal lead, would have nothing physically and mentally left to win the game. A split second later 25,000 (or so) Jambos breathed a huge, ******* massive, collective sigh of relief when it became apparent it was a free-kick. Then another split second later the crippling nerves and the doubts were back. Rangers still had a free-kick on the edge of the box after all.

We survived that and the rest of the Rangers attacks. Including David Weir's last ditch lunge to prevent Sergio Porrini. A challenge I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I'll also always remember that I never heard the full time whistle. Due to the nature of the speed of sound, the roar from the Hearts fans hit me before the whistle and drowned out the noise. Still, that was enough, it was over. We had done it.

Lastly, I'll always remember my dad's tears. Jealous that his moment was so much bigger than mine because of all the trophy free years. But at the same time, grateful, that I didn't have to go through that.

If we ever win a title, those tears will be mine.

C'Mon The Hearts

Harry Palmer

The final in '96 I was almost in tears near the end...

The League Cup final....I was working but with regular updates from a weegie sellick fan...2-0.. :( 2-2 followed by 4-2......4-3. WTF? Got home and watched it on VHS! :down:

1998: After the season we'd had, I was convinced all week that we were going to do it. Difficult when your dad is a Bluenose but my resolve was strong. Still, whenever I watch it back, I get really nervous with 10mins to go regardless.

Amoruso lets it run.....

for some reason i seem to remember der hun getting an endless supply of free kicks which the italian adonis amoruso insisted on taking everyone and ballooning over the bar.

i have to admitt that having been at dens in 86 with my dad and being to young to understand the magnitude of what actually happened that day, when we actually got the penalty in 98 i burst into tears(and that was before taking it) i just knew from the minute i woke up that morning we were gonna do it dunno why but i just knew.

those men will always be legends to me and that day will live with me forever heros to a man.

Got back to The Brig in Tranent to find that the drink was at 1956 prices.What a day.

Ah 1956,that must have brought back memories :D

After taking an eternity for the bus to reach parkhead i rushed to the gents before going to my seat only to hear "scorer for Hearts Colin Cameron",que pissing all over my jeans :lol: .

Best memory for me though was standing at the bottom of ardmillan terrace on the sunday with my 6 month son on my shoulders watching the cup coming back to Tynecastle.

I gave up smoking in October 1979. On that! day in 1998 with 5mins left i had to go to the back of the stand nerves could not stand it had seen so many dissapointments in my time,loosing the league TWICE!! 65&86 cup defeats etc, anyhow, i was offered a fag by another stressed out jambo and before i knew it i was puffing away like a good un. When the final whistle went out went the fag and tears of joy came, never had a smoke since even watching the pen shootout in 2006.

Mon The Hearts !!!

for some reason i seem to remember der hun getting an endless supply of free kicks which the italian adonis amoruso insisted on taking everyone and ballooning over the bar.

i have to admitt that having been at dens in 86 with my dad and being to young to understand the magnitude of what actually happened that day, when we actually got the penalty in 98 i burst into tears(and that was before taking it) i just knew from the minute i woke up that morning we were gonna do it dunno why but i just knew.

those men will always be legends to me and that day will live with me forever heros to a man.

Was just glad that albertz never played that day!

The various videos on youtube are awsome,the sheer joy of that weekend will never be beaten and will live with all of us to our dying days.

The Real Maroonblood

Busting my knuckles open as I punched the ceiling when Adam scored. :thumbsup:

Then getting on the 1st train from Dunbar into Edinburgh straight after the match....train services were shite then and are shite now.

Only to find out someone had a spare ticket but didn't take it up a few days later... :down:

Oh and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxOFaFWuyFU

Neil Pointons video diary...

That video was awesome.

Thanks for the memories.

Such a perfect day, not a cloud in the sky.

Remember being in the ground quite early as a lot of hearts fans seemed to be and we gave the players a great reception when they came out to warm up and cheered them everytime they came over to the stand side when the players were running from side to side. Mustve been a great to see from the players point of view. We as fans are a great bunch on the big occasions, always in great voice at cup semis/finals etc.

Always remember Gary Naysmith knocking the ball about 20 yards past Porini and running his heart out to get to the ball again, near the byline. Kind of summed up the kind of determination we showed that day.

Bumped into my sister and her b/f when I got back to Edinburgh who then bought me drinks in the local pub all night, not bad for a 16 year old at the time!!! Great night wi the game playing over and over again in the pub.

Was sitting my exams at the time but couldnt care less, still had maroon hair dye in my hair when I sat an exam the wednesday after.

Like everyone else, went and bought every single paper and still got the cutouts etc to this day, sometimes have a wee look at them from time to time and still get a tingle down my spine.

Was in absolute awe at full time at what we'd just achieved.

A truly remarkable weekend, people who say fitba is only a game dont know what they are on about, the emotion that day was unforgettable, it was what we chased for so long and our wait was finally over, different generations of families celebrating that elusive piece of silverware. Great times that will live with us all forever.

By 1998 I felt destined NEVER to see Hearts win the Scottish Cup in my lifetime. 1968, 1976, 1986, 1996. After the poor show against Rangers in 1996 I was not expecting what transpired at Parkhead in 1998. Much of the game was a blur and I can only recall at the final whistle looking at my mates totally dumbstruck and with none of us knowing what to do in way of celebration.

Before the game I recall I was sitting in a Sellick pub next to the ground, tears welling in my eyes just from the emotion of the occasion and being there (I'd travelled over from Abu Dhabi). A fellow supporter comes over and says to my "cheer up, big man, it's only a games" Only a game - it was, as always is, much more than that to me.

I was the designated driver but I do not remember getting back to Edinburgh, although we headed for Gorgie where we stood still dumbstruck. Next day, May 17, was Norwegian national day so we went for a champagne breakfast at the Prestonfield, joined the Noggy procession along Princes St and then made our way to the High Street to join the Hearts procession to Tynecastle.

By contrast 2006 bore little resemblance.

By 1998 I felt destined NEVER to see Hearts win the Scottish Cup in my lifetime. 1968, 1976, 1986, 1996. After the poor show against Rangers in 1996 I was not expecting what transpired at Parkhead in 1998. Much of the game was a blur and I can only recall at the final whistle looking at my mates totally dumbstruck and with none of us knowing what to do in way of celebration.

Before the game I recall I was sitting in a Sellick pub next to the ground, tears welling in my eyes just from the emotion of the occasion and being there (I'd travelled over from Abu Dhabi). A fellow supporter comes over and says to my "cheer up, big man, it's only a games" Only a game - it was, as always is, much more than that to me.

I was the designated driver but I do not remember getting back to Edinburgh, although we headed for Gorgie where we stood still dumbstruck. Next day, May 17, was Norwegian national day so we went for a champagne breakfast at the Prestonfield, joined the Noggy procession along Princes St and then made our way to the High Street to join the Hearts procession to Tynecastle.

By contrast 2006 bore little resemblance.

Not trying to be soppy but i love that. Thats what it`s about. Of course, its still a football game but if you are truly a football/Hearts person its ingrained from a young age. Its part of life and only 2nd to family and friends well being.

For all those who don`t like football and scoff at it don`t realise it`s this passion that what makes football what it is. It`s pretty much in line with what i8hibsh was saying on another thread...how this passion is being diluted by the modern game.

We have a fight on our hands maintaining it. Once the cracks appear and football just becomes a pastime and not a passion its fecked.

My beautiful daughter was born on 20th february the same year, my better half and I passed her off to granny and headed towards Tynecastle - remember thousands of scarfs and flags en route, remember my brother in law almost getting run over by the team bus as it rounded tynecastle arms.

Remember Eric Milligan shaking the hands of the huge support on that corner.

Remember waking up for the next month with a huge sense of pride... One of the best days of my life.

Sounds strange as we never won anything on the day, but think the semi with Hibs just manages to beat it.

The feeling of relief at the final whistle was just unbelievable.

Such a lovely sunny weekend. For all this to happen while hibs had been relegated was just perfect.

My beautiful daughter was born on 20th february the same year, my better half and I passed her off to granny and headed towards Tynecastle - remember thousands of scarfs and flags en route, remember my brother in law almost getting run over by the team bus as it rounded tynecastle arms.

Remember Eric Milligan shaking the hands of the huge support on that corner.

Remember waking up for the next month with a huge sense of pride... One of the best days of my life.

Sounds strange as we never won anything on the day, but think the semi with Hibs just manages to beat it.

no matter how good win that was, that day doesnt even come close to 1998!!!!

Archived