Premier League face potential 'Bosman' of TV rights (NHC)

No Nonsense

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11452434

Interesting court case pending in the European Court of Justice. Would be good to hear peoples opinions on what outcome would be fairest and most sensible.

Would getting rid of the 3pm blackout on Saturday force clubs to lower ticket prices and provide better value for fans, or would it kill off a number of already heavily indebted EPL clubs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11452434

Interesting court case pending in the European Court of Justice. Would be good to hear peoples opinions on what outcome would be fairest and most sensible.

Would getting rid of the 3pm blackout on Saturday force clubs to lower ticket prices and provide better value for fans, or would it kill off a number of already heavily indebted EPL clubs?

Almost all of the EPL is entirely dependant on media income, if that is compromised in any way, several clubs will be facing liquidation. Good luck to the land lady in her case, I for one hope that she wins and causes the most bloated, obscene and vulgar league in world football, to be down on it's knees.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Fascinating case and power to her for taking it this far. I hope she wins. The BSkyB monopoly needs shaken up. They charge pubs way too much :food-smiley-004:

Can only be a good thing for us!

That was my initial thought, however would it drive fans into boozers to watch the EPL rather than attend SPL games? Personally I would still go to games but take advantage of it during weekends when Hearts are away.

In terms of the EPL, it may force clubs to re-think strategy, and become more value orientated like the much lauded German Bundesliga, however clubs like Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea need the money from the grossly inflated ticket prices they charge right now and it could result in serious trouble for some.

The jury is still out for me, but it will be interesting to see the submissions from both sides.

The Porcupine

That was my initial thought, however would it drive fans into boozers to watch the EPL rather than attend SPL games? Personally I would still go to games but take advantage of it during weekends when Hearts are away.

In terms of the EPL, it may force clubs to re-think strategy, and become more value orientated like the much lauded German Bundesliga, however clubs like Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea need the money from the grossly inflated ticket prices they charge right now and it could result in serious trouble for some.

The jury is still out for me, but it will be interesting to see the submissions from both sides.

That's a good point, but I really don't see there being a really drastic change in that. Like you said (and I agree), away support at games I think is where you'd find a change, if any.

jamboinglasgow

If Heart's aim to cut debt is by developing players and sell them on to bigger clubs for good money then this case may not be to our benefit of the land lady wins.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The only thing is that the rights would have to be sold Europe wide if she wins and the same would apply to all leagues in Europe as a result. I think, therefore, if it did happen the clubs would have the power to sell their own media rights. That would completely kill the EPL.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The only thing is that the rights would have to be sold Europe wide if she wins and the same would apply to all leagues in Europe as a result. I think, therefore, if it did happen the clubs would have the power to sell their own media rights. That would completely kill the EPL.

If that was the case than a European Super League can't be far away.

What we are talking about is Pubs and Clubs and the costs involved -- now in the UK they pay far too much but even if it was halved it would not harm the profits of Sky to such a major extent that we would all see a vast reduction in fees paid to the EPL.

Majority of money generated is from the general public not businesses.

Fascinating case and power to her for taking it this far. I hope she wins. The BSkyB monopoly needs shaken up. They charge pubs way too much :food-smiley-004:

Sky also charge the punter too much for sport, hopefully it will reduce costs for the individual.

If Heart's aim to cut debt is by developing players and sell them on to bigger clubs for good money then this case may not be to our benefit of the land lady wins.

Probably not, but then Hearts are never going to trade their way out of the current level of debt anyway. At some point the club will either face liquidation or Romanov will write off a significant enough portion of debt to attract a buyer.

Manchester United, Liverpool, West Ham and Fulham are in deep, deep jobbies if their media income is in anyway compromised. Several clubs lower down the chain would also go bust if the promised land of TV cash in the EPL is compromised. The disgusting, bloated, greedy, contemptable EPL and it's ignorant club owners, deserve everything that maybe coming their way.

SKY simply priced many pubs / clubs out of the market. Now if that was a ploy to get a percentage of those punters to go home and buy it themselves then that's quite cunning .............if it has worked :ninja:

Archived