pubs in aberdeen

robjam

Know its early but going to aberdeen game and staying over. What pubs are okay up there pre match?? last time I was up there was in the 70's got a feeling things might have changed!!!!!

Frank McDougall's by the station is a good starting point followed by a trip tot the Prince of Wales. The big Wetherspoons at the corner of Princes St and King St is good for watching live football and The King's Bar on King St is a great wee boozer.

Frank McDougall's by the station is a good starting point followed by a trip tot the Prince of Wales. The big Wetherspoons at the corner of Princes St and King St is good for watching live football and The King's Bar on King St is a great wee boozer.

thanks just need a win and a good curry house to make the day

thanks just need a win and a good curry house to make the day

i was never there when i lived up there but i'm told that Kury on King Street is really good. Its pretty damn close to the hovel the sheep play in as well

Thig Ar Latha

Good shout till the Kings Bar, East Neuk across the road was usually ok though.

Prince of Wales and Archibald Simpson's, to an extent, are good shouts. The other two are not.

The Monkey House is where it's at, even if they have increased their prices somewhat recently.

As a resident of the city I can easily say the best bars to choose from are along Belmont Street. It is a 25min walk to Pittodrie from there though. There is no lunch time game on tele that day but if your wanting a place to watch villa v chelsea at 5.30 I would recommend Triple Kirks on the corner of Belmont Street and Schoolhill. Big screens and cheap booze. It is for the slightly younger crowd though.

Know its early but going to aberdeen game and staying over. What pubs are okay up there pre match?? last time I was up there was in the 70's got a feeling things might have changed!!!!!

If you were last there in the '70s you must be quite mature.

In that case I'd steer clear of Belmont Street. It's full of students and neds.

I'd stick to places like the Prince of Wales and Archibald Simpson's.

As a resident of the city I can easily say the best bars to choose from are along Belmont Street. It is a 25min walk to Pittodrie from there though. There is no lunch time game on tele that day but if your wanting a place to watch villa v chelsea at 5.30 I would recommend Triple Kirks on the corner of Belmont Street and Schoolhill. Big screens and cheap booze. It is for the slightly younger crowd though.

triple kirks for fitba? jeez, times have changed!

i do agree with casper though, prince of wales and archie simpsons is a much better shout than belmont street for a bloke that isn't in his teens or mid twenties

thanks guys, only in ma early 50's so not in a wheelchair yet!!!. can still put in a good shift, going with my son. looking forward to it, last time was in a january buses stopped at the dockes if i am correct, was with the pivot, and cant ever remember being as cold again in my puff as I was that day.

i was never there when i lived up there but i'm told that Kury on King Street is really good. Its pretty damn close to the hovel the sheep play in as well

It changed names a few years ago but its a good curry joint.

triple kirks for fitba? jeez, times have changed!

i do agree with casper though, prince of wales and archie simpsons is a much better shout than belmont street for a bloke that isn't in his teens or mid twenties

I used to go out with a bird from up in Aberdeen and I went to triplekirks to watch the soccer quite alot, decent boozer for that!

It changed names a few years ago but its a good curry joint.

It's called Manzil, got a mate that works there now. He says it's fantastic, one of the best in Aberdeen.

For a takeaway closer to the ground, there's Cinnamon @ home on Merkland Road East. It's won Scotland-wide awards for its dishes and you can see the stadium from the takeaway. If you want a sit-down meal from them then their restaurant is at the far end of Union St from the stadium.

Pubs wise I can only reccommend student pubs and clubs really. That said, I've heard the Prince of Wales has the longest bar in Aberdeen and one of the largest selections of beers, etc. The Moorings Bar also makes a point of having a wide selection of good drinks. I think you arrive a week too early for the new BrewDog pub opening though.

heartgarfunkel

The Grill is one of my favourite shops in Aiberdeen - beautiful interior combined with a proper boozer ethos. Superb place.

Prince of Wales and Archibald Simpson's, to an extent, are good shouts. The other two are not.

The Monkey House is where it's at, even if they have increased their prices somewhat recently.

Have to disagree. Frank is a great host and even gave us his free ticket fro the game last time. Great characters including some "interesting" women. Kings Bar on the other hand is just a wee "man's bar" and worth it for the atmosphere.

thanks just need a win and a good curry house[/b] to make the day

Mew and the wife liked the unlicensed Lahore Cafe on King St. Does all the lhassi drinks and great tandoori. Cheap as chips and full of Asian families so the food must be authentic. Surprised it only gets 3.5 on Trip Advisor.

Archie Simpsons is a good pub but I wouldn't go in there with Hearts colours on. Last time I drank in there before a Dons game it was full of casuals - mind you we were playing Rangers that day but still, I'd hide the scarf if I were you, don't want any "Sheep vermin attacked me" threads on here after the game. :thumbsup:

Aberdeen/Hearts Scottish Cup game in January I actually met a Hearts fan in the Monkey House before the game, and I'll probably be meeting him in there before the game next week again (providing he's coming up), and there were a fair few other Jambos in there so you'll be fine with colours on there. You're probably best grabbing a taxi from there to the ground though if you're leaving any time after 2.30pm, as its right slap bang in the middle of Union Street.

Good wee place to go if you fancy a pub lunch before the game - go to the Illicit Still in Broad Street. Fantastic food and great range of beers, and its about a 10 minute walk to Pittodrie. Website here: http://www.illicit-still.co.uk/location.html

The Saltourn Arms used to be away fan friendly but I think I read somewhere it has closed down, at least temporarily anyway. It was a dive anyway.

If you want somewhere closer to the ground, there are loads of bars in side streets just off King Street that are usually full of away fans, so your best bet is just to walk down there and pick a pub. You should get in all of them except for Pittodrie Bar, which as you'll guess is Aberdeen only.

Any other info you need regarding hotels, places to eat, pubs, directions etc just give me a shout. I'll no doubt be stopping by a fair bit in the build up to the game to irritate the masses.

Aberdeen/Hearts Scottish Cup game in January I actually met a Hearts fan in the Monkey House before the game, and I'll probably be meeting him in there before the game next week again (providing he's coming up), and there were a fair few other Jambos in there so you'll be fine with colours on there. You're probably best grabbing a taxi from there to the ground though if you're leaving any time after 2.30pm, as its right slap bang in the middle of Union Street.

Good wee place to go if you fancy a pub lunch before the game - go to the Illicit Still in Broad Street. Fantastic food and great range of beers, and its about a 10 minute walk to Pittodrie. Website here: http://www.illicit-still.co.uk/location.html

Any other info you need regarding hotels, places to eat, pubs, directions etc just give me a shout. I'll no doubt be stopping by a fair bit in the build up to the game to irritate the masses.

You are giving the impression that the Monkey House is 30 minutes away from the ground and the Illicit Still 10 minutes. Which is bollocks. It's about 20 minutes by foot from the Illicit Still - add on between five and 10 minutes for the Monkey House.

I think there are enough Aberdeen-based Jambos on here to impart their knowledge on the city without being (purposefully?) misleading.

Smoked-Glass

just make sure you don't go up this weekend as our game aint till next week

You are giving the impression that the Monkey House is 30 minutes away from the ground and the Illicit Still 10 minutes. Which is bollocks. It's about 20 minutes by foot from the Illicit Still - add on between five and 10 minutes for the Monkey House.

I think there are enough Aberdeen-based Jambos on here to impart their knowledge on the city without being (purposefully?) misleading.

Yes, that was the intent of my post, to make Hearts fans late for the game.

Nothing gets past you detective does it?

Sergio Garcia

Met a guy called Kev in Prague airport who has a bar up in Aberdeen, the Scotia bar, seemed a sound enough bloke and was telling me he gets a regular Hearts bus up there for every Aberdeen v Hearts game. So that might be worth a shout as itll have Jambos in it and is around 10mins away from ground im sure he said.

unless i skived far too much at school 20 minutes add 5-10 minutes equals 25-30 minutes meaning his estimation for the monkey house was spot on. :geek:

Easy answer - go to "The Bobbin" on King Street.

A good mix of both sets of fans, and there is usually plenty of Jambos there before the game.

It is one of those yellow card places, so you can get food as well.

5 minute leisurely walk round the corner to Pittodrie...

Met a guy called Kev in Prague airport who has a bar up in Aberdeen, the Scotia bar, seemed a sound enough bloke and was telling me he gets a regular Hearts bus up there for every Aberdeen v Hearts game. So that might be worth a shout as itll have Jambos in it and is around 10mins away from ground im sure he said.

we used to go to the scotia, until they decided there old firm clientele was more important. it is only 10 mins from the ground.

we go to a bowling club nowadays.

Sergio Garcia

we used to go to the scotia, until they decided there old firm clientele was more important. it is only 10 mins from the ground.

we go to a bowling club nowadays.

Why would their old firm clientele be up there on match day? Or are the regulars all Old Firm fans?

unless i skived far too much at school 20 minutes add 5-10 minutes equals 25-30 minutes meaning his estimation for the monkey house was spot on. :geek:

But the Illicit Still one was way off. Which was the point I was making, albeit not very well.

Why would their old firm clientele be up there on match day? Or are the regulars all Old Firm fans?

we were up for a 3pm KO, old firm game was lunch time KO, bar was full of locals for the old firm game starting on tv.

we haven't been back.

Sergio Garcia

we were up for a 3pm KO, old firm game was lunch time KO, bar was full of locals for the old firm game starting on tv.

we haven't been back.

A few years back for the Zal headbutt game? I was in the Weatherspoons and the game was on and it was full of local old firm fans watching . Would be par for the course in most pubs i would imagine

Easy answer - go to "The Bobbin" on King Street.

A good mix of both sets of fans, and there is usually plenty of Jambos there before the game.

It is one of those yellow card places, so you can get food as well.

5 minute leisurely walk round the corner to Pittodrie...

If you like rank food and poor pints I would advice heading to the Bobbin.

The St Machar bar on the old high street near the Uni is a good shout, I usually watch the football in there and it is pretty friendly.

Archived