Promotion of u-19's defenders

Jambomullins

I don't think that anyone can argue that our defence is presently as poor as it has ever been. Not being an expert on the u-19's and youths, does anybody have any knowledge of young defenders that could make the step up to the 1st team?

I remember Jefferies promoting Ritchie and Mcmanus in 1994/95 with great results but am unsure if we have anyone at that level in our current youth set up..........I do hope so.

There must be a decent left back in there somewhere - search the u12s if we need to!

Delands and Brown can play left back but both have been sent out on loan. Good move JJ. :thumbsup:

Delands and Brown can play left back but both have been sent out on loan. Good move JJ. :thumbsup:

Get them recalled then. As no fit first team player is up to the task.

Get them recalled then. As no fit first team player is up to the task.

Not sure if we can. Oh, and as I have been repeating since Wallace's injury, what about Park?

We have Brown, Balatoni and Deland out on loan. Other than that we have Ryan McGowan, Dylan McGowan, Matty Park still training with the club. Of the U19s the full backs are only 16 and 17 and are a bit away yet. The regular centre backs Jamie McCormack and Colin Hamilton are both 18. Colin is probably closest of the group to 1st team football and can play left back.

The Old Tolbooth

We have Brown, Balatoni and Deland out on loan. Other than that we have Ryan McGowan, Dylan McGowan, Matty Park still training with the club. Of the U19s the full backs are only 16 and 17 and are a bit away yet. The regular centre backs Jamie McCormack and Colin Hamilton are both 18. Colin is probably closest of the group to 1st team football and can play left back.

To be honest, whether they're ready or not, does anyone honestly think they would do any worse than Eggert or Ruben in the left back role? At least these guys are a natural shoe in for the position.

The only thing that would worry me is that putting a kid into the team might shatter his confidence if he has a bad debut.

To be honest, whether they're ready or not, does anyone honestly think they would do any worse than Eggert or Ruben in the left back role? At least these guys are a natural shoe in for the position.

The only thing that would worry me is that putting a kid into the team might shatter his confidence if he has a bad debut.

I agree, get them in. Naysmith was thrown in as an emergency and look what happened to him. I would rather see a natural left defender playing than a midfielder fitting in. Also, the likelihood of Wallace staying beyond the end of the season is unlikely so to give a youngster experience would be common sense..........unless of course JJ thinks they're not good enough of course!!

Ready or not they'd be a better shout than Eggy and Ruben. Playing players out of position is madness and it showed yesterday.

Your last comment we could flip that. He may have a stormer of a debut and a star is born. :thumbsup:

have i missed something .. wheres mulroony gone?

i defo think getting some youth in the defence is a plan. cant be any worse than what we have at the moment.

Think we're now starting to feel the effect of having no reserve league. Unless we're talking about a very special player no laddie playing U19's is going to be totally ready for first team football so the manager is left with a dilemma whether to stick with an experienced player out of position or to throw in a laddie who isn't ready and see if he sinks or swims.

Back in the day a player who impressed at U19 level would be promoted to the reserve team to see how he copes playing with and against more experienced pro's and when he starts impressing at that level move him up to first team but now thanks to the short sightedness of clubs in Scotland managers don't have that buffer zone any more because you can be certain McManus and Ritchie certainly didn't come in straight from the U19's

Naysmith was thrown in as an emergency and look what happened to him.

Him and Andy Thorn. Whatever happen to Thorn? whistling.gif

I am surprised that JJ has not opted to give some of the younger players a chance in defence, like he has done with Temps and Novi up front.

Back in the day a player who impressed at U19 level would be promoted to the reserve team to see how he copes playing with and against more experienced pro's and when he starts impressing at that level move him up to first team but now thanks to the short sightedness of clubs in Scotland managers don't have that buffer zone any more because you can be certain McManus and Ritchie certainly didn't come in straight from the U19's

Regardless what the SPL dictate. Hearts should enter a reserve Hearts 'A' team in the EOS League. They did it before, they should do it now. Of course restrictions on 1st team squad sizes would put a mockers on that. Which is why they play 'friendly' close door games against other SPL sides.

ToadKiller Dog

Think we're now starting to feel the effect of having no reserve league. Unless we're talking about a very special player no laddie playing U19's is going to be totally ready for first team football so the manager is left with a dilemma whether to stick with an experienced player out of position or to throw in a laddie who isn't ready and see if he sinks or swims.

Agree totaly with this , the only benifit of no reserve league is to the Uglies in the west who have stronger squads . Its just causing our injured players to get second injuries as they cant build up match fitness/strength with one or two games before put back into the fist eleven .

The lack of a reserve league is harming the game in Scotland .Self harm seems to be a Scottish football trait

Archived