defence theory

Captain Price

is it just me that thinks this or is it that jim has focused so hard on trying to get a decent strikeforce and has completely forgotten about the defence?

anyone else think this?

is it just me that thinks this or is it that jim has focused so hard on trying to get a decent strikeforce and has completely forgotten about the defence?

anyone else think this?

Are you aware that our best two defenders are currently out and Barr who we brought in with everyones approval couldn't play today because he had the worst game of any hearts central defender in years on Tuesday ?

it also helps the defence if we have a settled back four- never likely to happen with all the politics that go on with our club - and its also an advantage if the left back is at least left footed and that is in fact his position

portobellojambo1

I think we ave been unlucky to a certain extent in central defence. Different things have conspired to determine that we haven't had the same back 4 playing regularly together each week. I do think Wallace not being there is a huge loss, but if I'm brutally honest I don't think Marius Zaliukas not being there has played as big a part as some think.

And today quite clearly proved that despite not playing well on Tuesday, a situation which he was far from alone in, the cause of the defensive problems isn't the arrival of Darren Barr. In fact I think he has the potential to be an excellent signing for us.

What you do notice if you focus in on the defenders and keeper during matches is there is little to no communication between them, there is nobody giving instructions. We certainly don't have a natural leader in the defensive area, but I also suspect there could be language difficulties. Before the season started I indicated I hoped our regular back four would be (right to left) Craig Thomson, Darren Barr, Ryan McGowan and Lee Wallace. Although it wasn't intentional on my part I had picked four players who all have English as their first language, and I hoped Ryan McGowan would take over the mantle of organising/commanding the defence.

I've always been a reasonably strong supporter of Ismael Bouzid, but today I maybe saw a different side, a very nervous looking player, who finds it difficult to distribute the ball to another Hearts player. I think the management team have to decide on their top line back 4 and stick with it, and tell someone they are responsible for making sure it plays as a unit, following the commands of only one player (short term they have to decide what is to be the temporary back 4, and stick with them. Constant changing isn't going to improve the situation, in fact it might make things worse.

over approx 2 seasons we`ve lost Karipidis, Berra and Jose. Last season you could argue the defence was actually ok but suffered alot of pressure because we lacked decent forwards or a strong midfield.

Jose going has made it hard. He had his best season last year and we didn`t seem to be in market for a defender. It seems JJ was scripted to make do with what was left, while getting the forwards he wanted.

He obviously doesn`t fancy Kucharski and Zaliukas is out of favour. What depth do we have? None. We did have before but we seem to have went back the way drastically in that dept. I don`t know if there is another Berra coming through but i thought if there was he`d have been given a chance by now.

anyone else think this?

No, its because Zal is playing silly buggers and the injury to Wallace has not helped.

Grumpy.

I think we'll blow hot and cold all season, well turn up at games we should and shouldn't and others we won't. We'll be bi-polar, just like or fans.

Don't worry about this season, it's going to be top6 just like always. We'll **** up games we shouldn't and win games we shouldn't.

Archived