Views on abortion

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

I've just been thinking about the range of topics that crop up in The Shed and it occurred to me that abortion hasn't ever been discussed, or if it has it is probably on Page 94.

So, I was just wondering what people's views were on something which I think is an ethical minefield.

Personally, I would regard myself tending towards the pro-life side in the sense that I don't agree with abortion as a means of lifestyle disposal. Having said that, the lines get blurred with issues of psychological harm to the mother. Similarly, if a woman is raped then abortion to my mind, shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been thinking about the range of topics that crop up in The Shed and it occurred to me that abortion hasn't even discussed, or if it has it is probably on Page 94.

So, I was just wondering what people's views were on something which I think is an ethical minefield.

Personally, I would regard myself tending towards the pro-life side in the sense that I don't agree with abortion as a means of lifestyle disposal. Having said that, the lines get blurred with issues of psychological harm to the mother. Similarly, if a woman is raped then abortion to my mind, shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

I think most people are sensible in Britain and unless you hold religious views there is a broad consesus that while it isnt the most ideal situation in the world and should be avoided, the female in question should be able to make that choice.

In Britain it is almost the other way round where the loud right wing minority are actually in favour of more abortions or sterilisation to stop teenagers having loads of sprogs.

In America it is a radge issue, no doubt about it.

As far as im concerned my ethical view is inconsequential to the topic untill the situation arises and the that situation would be treated as the scenario requires. On the whole i cant stray from the idea that its wrong to take a human life.

The issue of legality is pretty cut and dry though as to deny it, up to a 'reasonable' time, is very dangerous.

I think most people are sensible in Britain and unless you hold religious views there is a broad consesus that while it isnt the most ideal situation in the world and should be avoided, the female in question should be able to make that choice.

This is my view on the subject as well.

Shouldn't be an issue if the woman wants to have an abortion or even if she doesn't.

definitely 100% in the pro choice camp.

while i wouldn't want to be in the situation, i wouldn't think twice about looking at it as an option depending on the circumstances.

what utterly disgusts me though, and really does nothing but damage to the pro choice brigade are the daft little tramps who use it as a form of birth control. i used to work with a girl who had FOUR terminations and was only 23 years old. that to me is appalling!

i don't think anyone should be given a hard time over something that is for most who go through with it, a terrible choice to have to make but i also think it sholdn't be tolerated as a lifestyle choice either.

everyone is entitled to their opinion on this one, and i don't think people should inflict their opinion on others

if you're pro life, thats perfectly acceptable to me, but don't give me greif if you disagree, cos its mass muchmy right to have an opinion on yours. i don't think there is a right or wrong or black or white area in this debate

jambos are go!

I have many liberal views and support the womens movement but abortion sticks in my craw. The fact that its spirals up and down with economic cycles is sickening even though at the end of the day a woman has the right to choose.

How with widespread and comprehensive birth control measures freely available we are in this situation I dont know.

I am pro-abortion in that it's the woman's right to choose.

i totally agree, but what is your opinion on the subject if a female want the termination agains the wishes of her other half, on the assumption that they are happy together and in a stable relationship?

this is one area that becomes very blurry. what are the mans rights here?he technically has none, but why when he might want to keep the child?

Pro life myself.

However, due to experience with my wifes illness in early pregnancy back in January there I can completely understand that there may be occasions where a woman decides that it is necessary to terminate a pregnancy.

In all cases, I would imagine that it would be a heartbreaking decision for most people.

Having siad that, women who go around using it as if it is a form of birth control make me sick to the stomach.

Say What Again

what utterly disgusts me though, and really does nothing but damage to the pro choice brigade are the daft little tramps who use it as a form of birth control.

Another in the pro choice camp here. However, my mates wife works in the hospital and is involved in abortions.

She's had the same 19 year old in 5 times. Apparently the wee lassie treats it exactly as you describe above, and doesn't bat an eyelid. She has no doubt they'll see her again soon.

What makes it even worse for my mates wife is her own sister can't have the child she'd so dearly like.

i totally agree, but what is your opinion on the subject if a female want the termination agains the wishes of her other half, on the assumption that they are happy together and in a stable relationship?

this is one area that becomes very blurry. what are the mans rights here?he technically has none, but why when he might want to keep the child?

Doesn't matter Bev, imo.

It's not the man that carries the baby to birth, it's not the man who has to deal with all the biological stuff that goes along with pregnancy.

Even if happy and in a stable relationship if the lass gets pregnant it is her right to have the baby or not. Sounds harsh on the bloke, but then he has f-all to do with it in that he has no physical or biological part of pregnancy (other than fertilisation of course).

No one has the right to tell another person what they can and can't do with their body in this scenario.

What makes it even worse for my mates wife is her own sister can't have the child she'd so dearly like.

thats a real sickener for your mate and his wife. it really must be a painful thing to see happening. hope things work out for them somehow :)

while i wouldn't want to be in the situation, i wouldn't think twice about looking at it as an option depending on the circumstances.

what utterly disgusts me though, and really does nothing but damage to the pro choice brigade are the daft little tramps who use it as a form of birth control. i used to work with a girl who had FOUR terminations and was only 23 years old. that to me is appalling!

i don't think anyone should be given a hard time over something that is for most who go through with it, a terrible choice to have to make but i also think it sholdn't be tolerated as a lifestyle choice either.

everyone is entitled to their opinion on this one, and i don't think people should inflict their opinion on others

if you're pro life, thats perfectly acceptable to me, but don't give me greif if you disagree, cos its mass muchmy right to have an opinion on yours. i don't think there is a right or wrong or black or white area in this debate

Pretty much sums up how I feel on the issue too, Bev - I would strongly defend any woman's right to choose, but I do think it is wrong that some women use it as a form of birth control.

Doesn't matter Bev, imo.

It's not the man that carries the baby to birth, it's not the man who has to deal with all the biological stuff that goes along with pregnancy.

Even if happy and in a stable relationship if the lass gets pregnant it is her right to have the baby or not. Sounds harsh on the bloke, but then he has f-all to do with it in that he has no physical or biological part of pregnancy (other than fertilisation of course).

No one has the right to tell another person what they can and can't do with their body in this scenario.

while i agree wholeheartedly, playing devils advocate, i wonder if its right, that the woman is the only one to have the choice.

there is nothing wrong with the mother or the baby that is known at the time

they are in a happy, commited and stable relationship

they have discussed wanting kids

man is delighted to hear she's pregnant

she thinks its the wrong time and decides to abort

he has no choice and no way to save the live he so dearly wants

morally i think its possibly wrong (?) as there is never a "right" time as such, and who's to say that the wee one wouldn't become something amazing as both parents would still love and care for it once born?

an interesting debate geoff, and i'll no doubt be back later, but since i've finished my lunch, guess its back to business

Was the very point I was going to make whilst reading the other posts, will take it a bit further and ask why it is only the mother that can make the choice? Currently fathers have no legal say in whether an unborn child lives or dies!

I am generally in favour of abortion in the right circumstances and have experienced the emotions involved when a girl I was with briefly had fallen pregnant and we both agreed that termination was for the best, we barley knew each other and were both (imo) too young to be parents!

For the pro life camp I will ask a question, what is the difference between the morning after pill taken 48hrs after conception and a termination after 8 weeks? Both terminate an embryo that for all intensive purposes is a collection of cells and not yet intelligent life!

Sounds harsh on the bloke, but then he has f-all to do with it in that he has no physical or biological part of pregnancy (other than fertilisation of course).

Fertilisation is a pretty fundamental part of pregnancy, though. I don't think you can just dismiss the bloke's role quite so readily, though I'd agree that ultimately it IS the woman's decision.

Again 1 more for the absolutely sickened with those who treat it as a form of birth control.

Why is it the Womans choice... What if (for whatever reasons)

Example A, She wants to get rid but the father wants to keep it...

Example B, She wants to keep it but the father wants rid ,..

Why do the men not get a say... For example.. You pump some rotter when drunk, she is a skank and you don't want your mates to find out.. Also, you don't want to have a kid that would have anything to do with this low life. Should you be allowed to make her get rid!

I am not saying this is my opinion.. but what do you think?

Was the very point I was going to make whilst reading the other posts, will take it a bit further and ask why it is only the mother that can make the choice? Currently fathers have no legal say in whether an unborn child lives or dies!

As I said earlier, possibly because the father has no physical or biological connection to the pregnancy, other than fertilisation.

Imagine that fathers could force the mother to have the child and then a mother dies in child-birth? Not the best...

Quite simply, again as stated before, no one has the right to tell a woman what she can or can't do with her body when she is pregnant.

Say What Again
Why do the men not get a say... For example.. You pump some rotter when drunk, she is a skank and you don't want your mates to find out.. Also, you don't want to have a kid that would have anything to do with this low life. Should you be allowed to make her get rid!

Taking it a bit further.....

What if you made it clear from the very outset you did not want this baby - yet the woman goes ahead and has it.

Could you be exempt from any future childcare as you'd made it clear you didn't want it?

Johanes de Silentio

Imo, it's up to the parents to decide - particularly the mother, imo, as it's her body.

It's certainly got ****all to do with the Pope, or any ***** else, imo!

Geoff Kilpatrick

I am generally in favour of abortion in the right circumstances and have experienced the emotions involved when a girl I was with briefly had fallen pregnant and we both agreed that termination was for the best, we barley knew each other and were both (imo) too young to be parents!

For the pro life camp I will ask a question, what is the difference between the morning after pill taken 48hrs after conception and a termination after 8 weeks? Both terminate an embryo that for all intensive purposes is a collection of cells and not yet intelligent life!

The question is of motive for me in terms of responsibilities versus rights. How much do you have to take responsibility for the act of intercourse that caused the pregnancy in the first place? To me, it is too convenient and easy to just say "oh sh*t, we didn't use contraception beforehand so we'll sort it afterwards".

From personal experience, we struggled to conceive our first child and the second was a complete accident and wasn't on plan as it were. In the second instance, we would have had the 'right' to abort him (not that we would have) but we never even contemplated the issue.

So, as I say, it boils down to rights versus responsibilities and that line is blurry.

Fertilisation is a pretty fundamental part of pregnancy, though. I don't think you can just dismiss the bloke's role quite so readily, though I'd agree that ultimately it IS the woman's decision.

I think I can, unless you can tell me what physical or biological part of pregnancy needs the man? Ultimately this is what it comes down to.

A man having a say in how another person can treat their body is akin to someone telling you that you can't smoke or drink or eat fatty foods anymore because they are bad for you and another person getting a legal right to ban you from using these substances.

Again 1 more for the absolutely sickened with those who treat it as a form of birth control.

Goes without saying. Agreed.

Taking it a bit further.....

What if you made it clear from the very outset you did not want this baby - yet the woman goes ahead and has it.

Could you be exempt from any future childcare as you'd made it clear you didn't want it?

No. But then that's just tough.

In saying that, I'm sure there are plenty of single mums out there who get f-all from the fathers of their children.

In that case I'd say that the relationship wasn't a very good one. Still, it will come down to the womans decision no doubt.

Again, what a horrible situation to be in for the dad.

Should have added in my original post that anyone that uses termination as a form of birth control are lowlife.

Many people would love to have children but can't and these, for want of a better word, slags get abortions as if it's a regular thing. Makes you sick tbh.

On men having a choice, I think if you're in a relationship with someone then the decision should be made together, but ultimately it is up to the woman to decide.

Any other situation there's not really much a bloke can do to stop a one-nighter (for example) keeping a baby if they so wish even if you aren't ready for it.

I'd be pro-life, but I agree that there are circumstances when there really is no other option but to have a termination. So I'm pro-choice, I just want women to be supported to make the choice to carry their pregnancies to term.

I used to say that there are good reasons for having an abortion, but getting pregnant isn't one of them and to a degree I stand by that. I have difficulty in my belief that it's conception, not birth that is the 'miracle' (if I may be allowed to use that term). Childless couple often have difficulty conceiving, it's conception that IVF achieves, it's conception that's the holy grail of reproduction and so it concerns me that we are terminating foetuses that have achieved this desired outcome.

Half the population want to conceive, the other half want to abort the babies that have been conceived.

That's pretty messed up.

Anyway I agree that it's the woman's choice, I'm afraid the man's opinion doesn't and very rarely should come into it. If men are desperate to be Dads they might want to think about loving the women that make them Dads, about being good husbands and partners. The bible (which has a lot to say about relationships, marriage and parenthood and many people have regarded it as a valuable moral compass in discussions like this) says that husbands and wives should submit to one another. It's not about what you want or what's good for you, it's about loving the other person, putting their needs first and thinking of them.

I have in my head a picture of some of the dregs of society that go on Jeremy Kyle, maybe if some of them acted a little less selfishly and submitted to one another they wouldn't need to drag their sordid little lives into my living room.

I seem to have lost my thread.

Build families, love and support one another, submit to one another, get married (if you like), but commit. Then have babies, lots of them, and love them and raise them to be loving and respectful. Do this selflessly. Then the only time we'll have the need to undertake abortions will be when the mother's life is at risk, or something awful has happened (like getting pregnant after being raped).

As I can never get pregnant, I have no say in the matter. It would break my heart if my mrs said she was pregnant but was getting an abortion because we are too old, used to having a bi-annual holiday, etc, but if it were because there was a chance see would die in childbirth, I'd get over it.

A man having a say in how another person can treat their body is akin to someone telling you that you can't smoke or drink or eat fatty foods anymore because they are bad for you and another person getting a legal right to ban you from using these substances.

What if the woman 'forgets' to take her birth control. The only reason then that the male has unprotected sex with said woman is due to her taking this control. But she 'forgets' for whatever reason. Surely then the pregnancy happens without the consent of the Male. Does he not then have a say>?

I think I can, unless you can tell me what physical or biological part of pregnancy needs the man?

I knew I'd worded it clumsily. But no man involved = no pregnancy, so the fertilisation part.

The best (or least worst) scenario is an informed choice with both parties having a say and, as I said, the decision ultimately being the woman's.

A discussion like this just highlights the importance of keeping the wee fellow under control and knowing what you're doing.

What if the woman 'forgets' to take her birth control. The only reason then that the male has unprotected sex with said woman is due to her taking this control. But she 'forgets' for whatever reason. Surely then the pregnancy happens without the consent of the Male. Does he not then have a say>?

You do know what unprotected sex is? Just because a lassie is on the pill doesn't mean that you are having protected sex if you shag...

But back to your point, I really don't mean to sound uppity but that's really irrelevant. I'll repeat it again, but no person has the right to order how someone else treats their body. It is the woman who is pregnant and the decision is ultimately hers to take.

I knew I'd worded it clumsily. But no man involved = no pregnancy, so the fertilisation part.

The best (or least worst) scenario is an informed choice with both parties having a say and, as I said, the decision ultimately being the woman's.

A discussion like this just highlights the importance of keeping the wee fellow under control and knowing what you're doing.

I wouldn't mind losing control from time to time to be honest.... :mellow:

Of course in a perfect world any decision would be mutual, I agree with that 100%.

What is wrong with men who pump these skanky ho's?

You get involved in a one nighter with a wee tramp, that's your look out. You take the consequences, whether that's an STD or an unwanted pregnancy. You don't want to be a Dad yet? Hard lines, you know how babies get made right? You don't want to be a Dad, stop doing that.

You get involved in a one nighter with a wee tramp, that's your look out. You take the consequences, whether that's an STD or an unwanted pregnancy. You don't want to be a Dad yet? Hard lines, you know how babies get made right? You don't want to be a Dad, stop doing that.

Or wear a blob.

As someone who grew up in the 80's, the whole AIDS thing raised awareness of condoms etc etc and I think changed male attitudes to "safe sex". I'm not so sure if there is the same knowledge or perhaps understanding among teens/young people these days.

It's not "blurry" at all - the man has no rights.

Authority: Paton v British Pregnancy Advisory Service [1979] QB 276, Paton v UK [1980] 3 EHRR 409.

Mum, is that you?

I'll repeat it again, but no person has the right to order how someone else treats their body.

Boris you see things in such a black and white way.

There are lots of situations where society intervenes (and should) when somebody mistreats their own body. Would you not stop or try to stop someone from taking their own life? Or self harming? Or drug and alcohol abuse? Or stopping smoking? Or driving without a seatbelt?

I'm sure there are myriad others.

Not only do we have the right to tell (and even order) people how to treat their body, we have a responsibility to. It's being part of a caring and supportive society.

There are lots of situations where society intervenes (and should) when somebody mistreats their own body. Would you not stop or try to stop someone from taking their own life? Or self harming? Or drug and alcohol abuse? Or stopping smoking? Or driving without a seatbelt?

Not only do we have the right to tell (and even order) people how to treat their body, we have a responsibility to. It's being part of a caring and supportive society.

I think you misinterpret my point. Seatbelts, for example, are as much about protecting others as they are about protecting the individual not wearing one. Stopping smoking - haven't heard of someone being forced by someone else to stop in a legally binding way. Drugs & drink - again, it's all about persuasion rather than diktat.

For sure, people can petition, berate, plead, beg others to do the right thing as they see it, but get a formal court order or the like to force a woman to go through a 9 month pregnancy that she didn't want in the first place? That's barbaric imo.

I don't disagree with you when you say we have the right to tell people what (we think) they should do, but ultimately we have no right to force someone to do something against their will.

You meet a girl and you like her. You start a relationship etc etc and eventually you are long term. Then you see that tatoo of a dolphin she has on her shoulder and it nips you - do you have the right to force her to get it removed? Of course not.

Just a quick question to all the "The father should have the right to prevent an abortion" types: are you seriously suggesting that a court should order a woman to carry and give birth to a child that she doesn't want? Are you all ****ing insane?

I agree that the man shouldnt have any rights when it comes to deciding abortion, but if I was in that position I would say it was her choice but she should think about whether we could raise a child together. I'd advise her to stay away from big flights of stairs when I was around too. :ermm:

Just a quick question to all the "The father should have the right to prevent an abortion" types: are you seriously suggesting that a court should order a woman to carry and give birth to a child that she doesn't want? Are you all ****ing insane?

This.

I'm 100% pro choice but am aware that as a man I have no say in it whatsoever.

Acey, I've been saying as much in just about every post I've made on this thread.

Either everyone has me on ignore and therefore hasn't seen it, some people can't read and therefore don't understand it or I've made a right hash of explaining it.

Say What Again

Who are these 'types' on the thread

Just reread the thread and don't see anyone saying that.

I think you misinterpret my point. Seatbelts, for example, are as much about protecting others as they are about protecting the individual not wearing one. Stopping smoking - haven't heard of someone being forced by someone else to stop in a legally binding way. Drugs & drink - again, it's all about persuasion rather than diktat.

For sure, people can petition, berate, plead, beg others to do the right thing as they see it, but get a formal court order or the like to force a woman to go through a 9 month pregnancy that she didn't want in the first place? That's barbaric imo.

I don't disagree with you when you say we have the right to tell people what (we think) they should do, but ultimately we have no right to force someone to do something against their will.

You meet a girl and you like her. You start a relationship etc etc and eventually you are long term. Then you see that tatoo of a dolphin she has on her shoulder and it nips you - do you have the right to force her to get it removed? Of course not.

Drugs is about persuasion? I know one guy who got strongly 'persuaded' by a man in wig to consider not selling E over a four year period. "Time to reflect" he said, "is this really how you want to live your life?"

I take your point entirely, but people get sectioned for harming their body, locked up to prevent them from hurting themselves.

I know a lady who was sterilised against her will (this happened many years ago) because her mother didn't think she would be capable (emotionally and reasonably) of raising children, she had a fairly low IQ, but was sexually active. That's abhorrent, barbaric, as you say, but it happened.

The law is used to prevent us from doing all sorts of things to ourselves.

This

Acey, I've been saying as much in just about every post I've made on this thread.

Either everyone has me on ignore and therefore hasn't seen it, some people can't read and therefore don't understand it or I've made a right hash of explaining it.

I know you have - I thought I'd better try a more blunt way of putting it, just in case any stragglers haven't come around to our way of thinking yet. :thumbsup:

Totally disagree with this bit.

Sure you can advise people what you think they should do but you can't tell them or order them to do anything. It's their right to do what they want with their own body.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think Bigsmak was asking a hypothetical question on men's rights. Bottom line is the woman has to carry it, ergo it is her decision.

Anyone against a woman's freedom to have an abortion is a lunatic as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like it when they are used as some sort of contraception but no-one has the right to tell them they can't do it.

Thankfully, we've evolved enough as a society that nutters who would ban abortion are firmly in the minority.

Say What Again

I think Bigsmak was asking a hypothetical question on men's rights.

Exactly my take on it - Smak even pointed out it wasn't his opinion.

:blink:

Who are these 'types' on the thread

Just reread the thread and don't see anyone saying that.

I do (hypothetically or otherwise):

while i agree wholeheartedly, playing devils advocate, i wonder if its right, that the woman is the only one to have the choice.

morally i think its possibly wrong (?) as there is never a "right" time as such, and who's to say that the wee one wouldn't become something amazing as both parents would still love and care for it once born?

Why is it the Womans choice... What if (for whatever reasons)

Example A, She wants to get rid but the father wants to keep it...

Example B, She wants to keep it but the father wants rid ,..

I know that some people above are playing devil's advocate etc, but if they're "just asking the questions", then Boris and myself are more than entitled to reply with "What a stupid and dangerous question".

Archived