Post match: Jefferies a very unhappy man.

Nelly Terraces

Nelly Terraces

'Shocking' just one of the phrases used about the back 4. The central defence singled out for criticism. I'd expect changes of some sort, soon, by the sound of it.

Sounds like they got an absolute rocket at half time as well.

Fair do's JJ. Players let you down. Can we **** these Murderhell peasants on Saturday please?

Said to my mate just before HT that JJ had better go through them at HT and clearly whatever he said worked.

Was proud of the spirit we showed 2nd half but JJ was quite right to hammer the defence, it was pitiful. The concern is what to we have to bring in that'll fix it?!

If JJ's an internet man can I make a request to him that Darren Barr never plays centre back for this club again. I don't normally like people slating individual players but I'll make an exception for him. I can't see how he can ever make a decent centre back. No pace, strentgh, ability to read the game and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen a player cuaght out of position so much in my life. Bouzid is only marginally better but we have to try someone else at centreback or it'll cost us big time this season.

Jefferies has to take some stick, should have killed the game at 3-2. Stevenson & Mrowiec should have been pushed back and Obua on for Temps to protect Ruben.

Johanes de Silentio

Jefferies has to take some stick, should have killed the game at 3-2. Stevenson & Mrowiec should have been pushed back and Obua on for Temps to protect Ruben.

Hard to defend a lead when you're a man short.

Nelly Terraces

Said to my mate just before HT that JJ had better go through them at HT and clearly whatever he said worked.

Was proud of the spirit we showed 2nd half but JJ was quite right to hammer the defence, it was pitiful. The concern is what to we have to bring in that'll fix it?!

Could be a case of having to make do with what we have I think. They really need a bit of working on mind you, a bit of extra training for the back 4 methinks. Darren Barr could do with a bit of sprint training midweek as well perhaps.

Chins up lads, we've been round the block before, we'll come good again.:thumbsup:

Hard to defend a lead when you're a man short.

If those changes were made then we could have had 8 or 9 behind the ball. No matter how poor our defence was Falkirk would have struggled to break us down if we went defensive straight away.

It's all by the by now. We need to start playing from the first whistle rather than the 2nd half.

He got a reaction with the second half performance, what we need is a similar reaction from the first whistle on Saturday.

Agreed Gambo but JJ also seriously needs to get some pace injected into our back four! The positioning was woeful, the marking ropey and the understanding non existant - but those things can all be improved with coaching and hard work on the training ground. What JJ or coaching cannot give a player is pace - and we are embarassingly slow at the back. SURELY McGowan, Matty Park, Dannny Thomson or some decent journeyman defender with pace but without a contract is available from somewhere? Because if we don't inject pace in there I genuinely fear for us against some of the better sides in the league. (the shellik game re-inforces this fear too!)

Come on JJ give a (pacey) youngster a chance or get on the blower to Vlad - pronto!

It was obvious to anyone that saw them pre-season that the defence were abysmal, and we didn't do anything about it.

Zaliukas should have been replaced in the summer, and Barr has no pace (no good for full back or centre half) and is too small for a centre-half.

I'd rather see Polish Dave in the team than Barr.

As for Thomson - if he is guilty of violent conduct then he cost us the game and one of the two trophies we were competing for this season. As others have said, he contributes the square root of f all - it looks like he flattered to deceive in the Millwall game. There are other players we could play in his position that would give us more options - drop now.

Clark Griswold

Never saw anyone talking in defence tonight, including Kello.

Darren Barr had a shocker tonight - he didnt do 1 thing right all night as a centre half....

We had to make a sub at 3-3 as there were so many players absolutely dead on their feet.

No idea why we didn't. Not too smart from Jefferies.

jamboinglasgow

We had to make a sub at 3-3 as there were so many players absolutely dead on their feet.

I agree, thought Temps was dead on his feet after the third goal went in. Bring on Obua or Novikovas.

Agreed Gambo but JJ also seriously needs to get some pace injected into our back four! The positioning was woeful, the marking ropey and the understanding non existant - but those things can all be improved with coaching and hard work on the training ground. What JJ or coaching cannot give a player is pace - and we are embarassingly slow at the back. SURELY McGowan, Matty Park, Dannny Thomson or some decent journeyman defender with pace but without a contract is available from somewhere? Because if we don't inject pace in there I genuinely fear for us against some of the better sides in the league. (the shellik game re-inforces this fear too!)

Come on JJ give a (pacey) youngster a chance or get on the blower to Vlad - pronto!

Must agree with above but as I have stated before JJ picks the team and is partly responsible so cannot shirk responsibility -- he also needs to show more discipline and set an example for the team -- there is so much annoyance because most recognise we have/had the potential this season and don't want to see it thrown away -- that is why I am upset (compared to the past couple of seasons that is a good thing because I am beginning to care more deeply if we lose)

'Shocking' just one of the phrases used about the back 4. The central defence singled out for criticism. I'd expect changes of some sort, soon, by the sound of it.

Fair do's JJ. Players let you down. Can we **** these Murderhell peasants on Saturday please?

He didnt agree that it was a very exciting game for the fans and we'd rather entertain the fans, losing 4-3 than grind our way through to the next round by any chance did he ?

The People's Chimp

There have always been a few wee things that niggled me about JJ and this type of thing is one of them. It's not major, but you just wish he'd show a little bit more tactical awareness in these situations.

Completely agree. I dont think we'd have won on ET for the reason you've given. They were knackered. Darren Barr did have a bad game, his honeymoon period is running thin now.

Big_Hearts_Runner

If JJ had immediately gone defensive after we scored the third and we had still gone on to lose 4-3 with the 10 men I wonder what people would have been saying?

Tactical blunder? We had the bit between our teeth & impetus to score a 4th ourselves? We should have kept going and finished it?

Hindsight is 20/20, when we scored the 3rd I bet most fans would have said keep going lets get a 4th and kill it as at that stage there only looked to be one winner.

There was no tactical blunder.

The equaliser came about because Barr and Bouzid parted like the maroon sea yet again. I really don't know how many times they did this in the game. You'd need a ******* abacus to keep count of the amount of times they were cut open.

And the winner occurred because by the 93rd minute Ismael Bouzid had successfully managed to shove his head fully up his ass and allowed Mark Twaddle to freely head the ball back across goal.

FWIW I think it's positioning that's the main problem rather than a lack of pace. Was also apparent last season under Csaba, but the way he stifled games in midfield meant the deficiences in defence were not exposed as often.

If those changes were made then we could have had 8 or 9 behind the ball. No matter how poor our defence was Falkirk would have struggled to break us down if we went defensive straight away.

It's all by the by now. We need to start playing from the first whistle rather than the 2nd half.

Why invite them on to you at 3-2 up when you've just come from 2-0 down? Wasnt there but to score three without reply suggests we were doing ok at that point so I wouldnt have changed it either. Sounds to me like we ran out of steam a bit.

Why invite them on to you at 3-2 up when you've just come from 2-0 down? Wasnt there but to score three without reply suggests we were doing ok at that point so I wouldnt have changed it either. Sounds to me like we ran out of steam a bit.

Fair enough to do this with 11 men but to do it with 10 is a bit daft IMO.

Could be a case of having to make do with what we have I think. They really need a bit of working on mind you, a bit of extra training for the back 4 methinks. Darren Barr could do with a bit of sprint training midweek as well perhaps.Chins up lads, we've been round the block before, we'll come good again.:thumbsup:

as long as he isn't running against anyone...That could destroy him. Even JJ could beat him in a sprint!

There was no tactical blunder.

The equaliser came about because Barr and Bouzid parted like the maroon sea yet again. I really don't know how many times they did this in the game. You'd need a ******* abacus to keep count of the amount of times they were cut open.

And the winner occurred because by the 93rd minute Ismael Bouzid had successfully managed to shove his head fully up his ass and allowed Mark Twaddle to freely head the ball back across goal.

Back to basics I am afraid, we cannot defend at all.

Craig Thomson was murder before the red card, too small and lightweight imo.

Ruben words cannot express why he should not be playing at left back.

Darren Barr still early days but I have to agree with other posters that the honeymoon period is over and I am not too sure if he is good enough (small fish in big pond).

Bouzid played OK apart from the last goal and positional play, perhaps Barrs shocker did not exactly help.

I agree with the view that Darren Barr must have some ability in him, or he wouldn't have been picked for Scotland while playing for Falkirk. There's not too many players who manage to pull that off.

This could go one of two ways. He could follow the Pressley/Hartley pattern (rubbish at first but came very, very good). I will cross my fingers for that outcome. However, he could equally follow the Dennis Wyness/Jamie McAllister pattern (looked the part at their previous club but were always rubbish for us).

Oddly enough, the fact that Barr was reportedly absolutely shocking last night makes me slightly more optimistic than if he had been mediocre. Probably because it makes me think that he's a player badly out of form, rather than one who was overrated and never had the ability in the first place. However, I think he needs to be dropped for a game or two, just to settle him down if nothing else. Ryan McGowan should have his chance, he's waited long enough. After a couple of games, if McGowan has done well then Barr will have to fight to get his place back.

Some players shine against their former club. Some disappear. I do wonder if Barr wasn't psychologically up for this game in some way.

Fair enough to do this with 11 men but to do it with 10 is a bit daft IMO.

I see what your saying RTJ but my point is that in the second half we had scored three goals without reply so why alter a formula that was doing well? Its ok today to say we should have done this or that but had we tried to shut up shop and then lost 4-3 we would have been screaming at him for changing a winning formula. No right answer to this one I'm afraid.

In my time we have been spoiled with some of the names that have played central defence for us.

The present crop are not fit to clean the boots of Roddy MacDonald, let alone Jardine or Levein.

I see what your saying RTJ but my point is that in the second half we had scored three goals without reply so why alter a formula that was doing well? Its ok today to say we should have done this or that but had we tried to shut up shop and then lost 4-3 we would have been screaming at him for changing a winning formula. No right answer to this one I'm afraid.

From being at the game it was necessary. We were effectively playing with 9, possibly even 8, players due to tired legs. Suso and Stevo IMO were out of it leaving us very short. Bringing on fresh legs would have allowed us to hold the ball a lot better. But hey, hindsight and all that...

From being at the game it was necessary. We were effectively playing with 9, possibly even 8, players due to tired legs. Suso and Stevo IMO were out of it leaving us very short. Bringing on fresh legs would have allowed us to hold the ball a lot better. But hey, hindsight and all that...

Disagree with you about Suso. He was outstanding second half and the reason we even got back in the game. His work rate was something else and never gave up trying to win the ball, even when it looked lost. Was he running on empty towards the end? Probably but they all were and along with KK, he contributed more than most.

Disagree with you about Suso. He was outstanding second half and the reason we even got back in the game. His work rate was something else and never gave up trying to win the ball, even when it looked lost. Was he running on empty towards the end? Probably but they all were and along with KK, he contributed more than most.

Suso was SUPERB last night, but with about 10 mins to go when Eggert played that ball over the top for him and he chased it down to the corner he was spent. He could barely get back to the half way line never mind effectively mark their fullback.

I could understand JJ not making a sub when we were on top and taking the game to them but as soon as Falkirk equalised all momentum was lost. Subs should have been made there and then to rejuvenate the team and while JJ might not take as much blame as the back four or that cheat Winter, he still deserves his fair share.

I'm not saying he wasn't very good, I'm saying he was exhausted because of the effort he'd put into the second half. He was running on empty which left us effectively a man shorter than we already were. You could see he was struggling to chase balls and track men towards the end.

Suso was SUPERB last night, but with about 10 mins to go when Eggert played that ball over the top for him and he chased it down to the corner he was spent. He could barely get back to the half way line never mind effectively mark their fullback.

I could understand JJ not making a sub when we were on top and taking the game to them but as soon as Falkirk equalised all momentum was lost. Subs should have been made there and then to rejuvenate the team and while JJ might not take as much blame as the back four or that cheat Winter, he still deserves his fair share.

Already said on another thread I get frustrated when JJ doesn't change it around when he should. I'm no amateur football manager, I don't even indulge in a gaming sense but sometimes it's obvious when you need to do it. I was disappointed at HT we he went with the status quo, but at 3-2 when you've come from 2 behind playing most of it with 10 men? We have a bad record there and with so many tired legs we did need a change. Perhaps its tempting when you think you're in ascendancy not to do it, but not considering the nature of how the game unfolded, it was a mistake.

PS The ref was happy to give us nothing all night. We only got a pen as it was a stone waller. How many handballs are you allowed to have before you get a decision against you? Shocking.

Listened to his Interview last night on HW and he was raging with the two Central Defenders and didn't hesitate dishing out the criticism of them both - saying that they cost us the game.

Bouzid was next up on the interview and sounded so disappointed you could hardly hear him talk.

PS The ref was happy to give us nothing all night. We only got a pen as it was a stone waller. How many handballs are you allowed to have before you get a decision against you? Shocking.

I was just about to reply with a rant about Winter but decided to start a new thread so my hate-filled ramblings could reach a wider audience. So yeah see that thread for my pinions on that baw.

Winston Ingram

For those of us who have watched from the 80s onwards, this has to be the worst concerted spell of shocking defending. There has obviously been the odd freak game (Falkirk, Hibs, Motherwell etc) but nothing like this.

In the last 3 decades, we always seem to have been graced with excellent defenders (sometimes at the expense further up the park). Now, straight from pre-season (one free header and one goal right through the centre of the park at Millwall, which followed on from a shambles at Dunfermline) we are giving away the most basic of goals.

Teams are finding us wide open through the middle of defence (Celtic, Inverness, last night) game after game. Free headers? A given for any opposition team.

For those of us who have watched from the 80s onwards, this has to be the worst concerted spell of shocking defending. There has obviously been the odd freak game (Falkirk, Hibs, Motherwell etc) but nothing like this.

In the last 3 decades, we always seem to have been graced with excellent defenders (sometimes at the expense further up the park). Now, straight from pre-season (one free header and one goal right through the centre of the park at Millwall, which followed on from a shambles at Dunfermline) we are giving away the most basic of goals.

Teams are finding us wide open through the middle of defence (Celtic, Inverness, last night) game after game. Free headers? A given for any opposition team.

Agree with this - some have suggested Mrowiec as CDM and I agree with the diamond midfield suggestion.

I am far from a tactical genius but since the loss of Zali, I have watched us become even more disorganised at the back - some mention a lack of communication, think they are right.

Some mention Barrs lack of height and pace - think they are right.

Its painfully obvious that we are fantastic going forward but a complete circus at the back, even when Barr recieved plaudits on here for the ICT game I honestly didnt think he looked SPL quality.

Willing to give the guy a chance.

I know this wont be looked apon favorably but would love a Webster/Pressley/Weir as CH, organising and shouting orders.

Lee Wallace injury has cost us - still to this day wondering why he was ever included in the Scotland squad while he was struggling with another injury.

Can't rely on scoring more than the opposition. In the last two games I have been scared everytime the opposition have crossed the halfway line. Remember last year we slated hubs for to many forwards and having no defence, seems the tables have turned.

JJ is right to be livid with both central defenders - they made basic basic errors, and the Falkirk defenders destroyed them both.

However, JJ has to shoulder some of the blame IMHO. His use of subs and tinkering with tactics in reaction to changes the happen during a game was always his achilles heel and still seems to be. His plan A is always decent, but his plan B is non-existent. The attacking second half performance from the players (Suso and Kyle especially) to get us back from 2-0 down to 3-2 up was as good as I've seen from a Hearts team. At 3-2 or even 3-3 the playes had every right to expect a helping hand from the dug out.

Oh, and Brian Winters is an absolute f###### clown of the highest order, rght up there with Dougie Macdonald.

Archived