German Fans Boycotting (NHC)

RoyCropper

The Real Maroonblood

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8986321.stm

I know its past but good on them i say. Unhappy that tickets are going past the 20 Euro mark. 150 quid for a season ticket is great value.

Also, Liverpool fans paying 51 quid to get in at Old Trafford yesterday, absolute disgrace.

:verymad:

The fans are quite right.

Hagar the Horrible

I know its past but good on them i say. Unhappy that tickets are going past the 20 Euro mark. 150 quid for a season ticket is great value.

Also, Liverpool fans paying 51 quid to get in at Old Trafford yesterday, absolute disgrace.

In times gone bad a lot of apathetic fans (Hearts that is) would not go for the full protest until way too late. this is a better idea than most and I would like to see every team do this by not accepting any tickets for the OF away games, until the standard of refereeing is made equal or at least looked into because there is a real perception that our game is corrupt, but never taken seriously by the GFA. Also the protest should include the treatment of away fans in Glasgow by the police and stewards, I know some would say that this is playing into the hands of the OF who do not want any of us there anyway, for those i would say is that then have a reverse protest by asking for thousands of tickets and then return all the unsold at the last minute. :ermm:

http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/8986321.stm

Last season Fulham and Birmingham were charging over ?50 for visiting Man U fans.

From the linked BBC article:

"Uersfeld, who pays 184 euro (?152) to watch Borussia's 17 home Bundesliga games as well as one European match, insists football supporters have more power than they might think."

Less than a tenner a shot to watch Dortmund's home games in the stadium voted the most atmospheric in the world in the league many regard as the most exciting in Europe. And a European game thrown in.

LOL @ football in Britain. A day of reckoning is coming, and not a moment too soon.

I would imagine there are many burgled pensioners in Liverpool wishing it had been a bit cheaper too :whistling:

Some fans would pay any money just so long as they can say their a 'true supporter'.

I remember Schalke fans boycotted their own ground a few years back for home matches when their chairman tried to put the prices up and it's great to see fans stand up to clubs.

It's a hard one to call in Britain as so many clubs are in so much debt and relying on fans coming through the gates at the already astronomical prices, in theory you'd like to think cheaper tickets would mean more fans coming through the gates but I dont know if that would be the reality.

I do think that something needs to be done re ticket pricing in Scotland and Britain as a whole, I'd like to see a nationwide boycott of games over particular weekends but It'll never happen IMO and it may be counterproductive for a club like ourselves, where every penny counts. I also think British fans in general are 'too loyal' and wouldnt even want to miss even one game, it's a way of life for many. Certainly think some kind of action needs to happen.

I remember Schalke fans boycotted their own ground a few years back for home matches when their chairman tried to put the prices up and it's great to see fans stand up to clubs.

It's a hard one to call in Britain as so many clubs are in so much debt and relying on fans coming through the gates at the already astronomical prices, in theory you'd like to think cheaper tickets would mean more fans coming through the gates but I dont know if that would be the reality.

I do think that something needs to be done re ticket pricing in Scotland and Britain as a whole, I'd like to see a nationwide boycott of games over particular weekends but It'll never happen IMO and it may be counterproductive for a club like ourselves, where every penny counts. I also think British fans in general are 'too loyal' and wouldnt even want to miss even one game, it's a way of life for many. Certainly think some kind of action needs to happen.

In British football as a whole, attendances are quite low and stadiums are not always selling out - it seems daft to keep on charging higher prices when you could be getting potentially more by lowering them a bit or doing deals and getting more fans in the doors.

In British football as a whole, attendances are quite low and stadiums are not always selling out - it seems daft to keep on charging higher prices when you could be getting potentially more by lowering them a bit or doing deals and getting more fans in the doors.

It is daft but the majority of chairmen dont give a monkeys about the fans or about doing deals and until there's any resistance to the prices then why would they lower them??? The cost compared to the quality on show within the SPL for example is horrendous.

It's the only way and it needs to happen. The concept of value for money is maybe more difficult to measure in sport than in other walks of life, but the one certainty is that we're not getting it. We're being ripped off to watch an appalling product performed by overpaid jokers (who obviously regard their limited natural talent as a passport to considerable riches without feeling the need to improve their technique) and officiated by goons, staged in mediocre, half-empty stadia. Football fans are insulted the moment they go through the turnstiles. Taken for granted.

It's the only way and it needs to happen. The concept of value for money is maybe more difficult to measure in sport than in other walks of life, but the one certainty is that we're not getting it. We're being ripped off to watch an appalling product performed by overpaid jokers (who obviously regard their limited natural talent as a passport to considerable riches without feeling the need to improve their technique) and officiated by goons, staged in mediocre, half-empty stadia. Football fans are insulted the moment they go through the turnstiles. Taken for granted.

Never going to happen. No chance until the current GFA die. Morbid, but until the old guard kick it (they'll never fecking retire) we won't see any change.

Also, Rangers bankrupting over the next 5yrs would speed the process up nicely.

Never going to happen. No chance until the current GFA die. Morbid, but until the old guard kick it (they'll never fecking retire) we won't see any change.

Also, Rangers bankrupting over the next 5yrs would speed the process up nicely.

You're probably right. Certainly our obsession with season tickets, i.e. giving the clubs our money up front, won't help any attempt to put pressure on them. I'm seriously considering becoming a walk-up customer next season - by the time you've missed two or three matches through being on holiday, it's cheaper to buy tickets for individual matches anyway.

You're probably right. Certainly our obsession with season tickets, i.e. giving the clubs our money up front, won't help any attempt to put pressure on them. I'm seriously considering becoming a walk-up customer next season - by the time you've missed two or three matches through being on holiday, it's cheaper to buy tickets for individual matches anyway.

The problem is that we are supporters not customers.

The problem is that we are supporters not customers.

That is exactly the problem, yes. But I think the game all over Britain is characterised by excess of various kinds which requires a much more dispassionate approach from supporters. It could be argued that by continuing to support blindly we are playing a full part in the price spiral which may eventually kill the game if left unchecked.

Hearts could charge half the price we are paying just now but if you don't pay the money you don't get the players.

Stuff that.

Nelly Terraces

A quick glance at attendances at games in Scotland would lead anyone to believe there's already a fans boycott taking place.

Hearts could charge half the price we are paying just now but if you don't pay the money you don't get the players.

Stuff that.

It obviously wouldn't work as a unilateral approach...

A quick glance at attendances at games in Scotland would lead anyone to believe there's already a fans boycott taking place.

And not just the attendances. The atmosphere has gone completely, at least in most matches.The whole game currently feels moribund.

It obviously wouldn't work as a unilateral approach...

It's about the only approach is it not? There is absolutely no chance of supporters from all over the UK coming together and boycotting games to get cheaper seats.

Even if the fans of only the Scottish clubs made a stand and clubs caved in, the players would leave to work down south for better wages and the standard would drop even further. I think so anyway.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It's about the only approach is it not? There is absolutely no chance of supporters from all over the UK coming together and boycotting games to get cheaper seats.

Even if the fans of only the Scottish clubs made a stand and clubs caved in, the players would leave to work down south for better wages and the standard would drop even further. I think so anyway.

Yip. We are screwed now. Far too late to do anything about it. Maybe the next opportunity will be when the English bubble bursts which can't be far away.

It has been proven by various clubs (notably Motherwell) that lowering prices does not lead to enough of an increase in attendances to increase (or even maintain) revenue levels overall. The way to maximise revenue is to screw the hardcore fan base for as much as possible.

The only solution revoles around a squad salary cap (individual salary caps not being enforcable) :

- An absolute cap would not be accepted by Rangers and Celtic. It seems unlikey that Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen would accept an absolute salary cap that pulled their expenditure down to meet the other clubs in the league, if it didn't include the Old Firm, so a voluntary absolute salary cap outside the Old Firm wouldn't work either. It would need to be a cap set as a percentage of turnover (a relative cap).

- A relative cap on its own wouldn't reduce prices as turnover is maximised by setting prices high. So it would have to be introduced at the same time as a maximum ticket price.

- Rangers and Celtic clearly aren't going to agree to this as it would reduce their 'competitiveness' in Europe. So it would have to be a voluntary cap outside the Old Firm.

- This would be feasible except even in Scotland there are sugar daddy owners (Romanov, Mileson, Melville) that would break this voluntary agreement for short-term success. It would also require the fans of teams outside the Old Firm to accept that the gap would widen and never be breached and that the best players would look to move as quickly as possible to England or the Old Firm.

The only time I think a cap and price limit could be introduced is if Rangers and Celtic joined an Atlantic League and a compulsory limit was then agreed by the teams remaining in the Scottish League.

So after all that late night rambling, my point is that we will all continue to pay high prices.

Your probably right, there probably will never be a nationwide boycott, I do think it's the kind of thing that if it happened 2/3 times might make some clubs take more notice. That could maybe be used as a starting block to to get fans a voice for other areas within the game that need improved. We all know the game needs a massive shakeup in Scotland and it gets talked about but nothing ever gets done.

Like a lot of things in this country, most seem to just seem happy to accept things.

Players in Scotland can already go and get better wages down south, you could go and play in the Blue Square league and probably get paid more than a lot of SPL/first division players. Were fecked as it is anyway, so anything that might change it for the better, from a fans point of view would be worth a go IMO.

Archived