Uni

Chrambo

Swerved it this year, but considering it for next.

People who've been, what do you say?

Depends on what you want to study and where you want to study it.

Would be at Napier probably, just generally the whole uni experience, would you recommend?

Best years of your life. Easily. Do it!

Depends on what you want to study and where you want to study it.

Dammit, that was what I was going to ask! :verymad:

Still, the 1st part is relevant. I'm about to graduate from Napier.

Would be at Napier probably, just generally the whole uni experience, would you recommend?

I had a blast studying in Aberdeen.

In my experience the best part of uni was getting away to another city. You should maybe consider the idea of a real change of scenery.

As I moved to Edinburgh, I'd concur with Picard.

Get's you out of your comfort zone.

As long as it's something worthwhile and something you want to do in the future I'd say go for it.

Well one of the main reasons I didn't go this year was because it would mean going up to Aberdeen, didn't really want to commit to 4 years somewhere totally different incase I didn't like the course (or lifestyle!).

graduated 4 years ago. best days of my life.

make sure you move to another city for it. I knew plenty of (now ex) mates who stayed at home and still have the same social circle as they did in high school.

Uni is a blast.

I had a blast studying in Aberdeen.

In my experience the best part of uni was getting away to another city. You should maybe consider the idea of a real change of scenery.

I agree with this chap.

Aberdeen is far away enough to be striking out on your own, but close enough that you can get back down the road quickly if you need some washing and ironing done.

Typical student attitude IMO.

No idea what you want to study but just want to get the "whole uni experience"

Roughly translated means "I can't be arsed actually working for a living so I'll get the taxpayer to fund me being a layabout for a few years"

My view would be that you should only go to uni if you're one hundred per cent sure both that you want to be there and that you know what you want to be doing. I went at eighteen to study maths, liked the lifestyle but hated the course and ended up dropping out. I then worked for a few years before deciding last year (aged 22) that I definitely wanted to go back to do history and am now loving it.

Don't go just for the sake of it.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

My view would be that you should only go to uni if you're one hundred per cent sure both that you want to be there and that you know what you want to be doing. I went at eighteen to study maths, liked the lifestyle but hated the course and ended up dropping out. I then worked for a few years before deciding last year (aged 22) that I definitely wanted to go back to do history and am now loving it.

Don't go just for the sake of it.

In a similar position. You really need to have some sort of career plan and a bit of ambition. If you go to Uni just for the sake of it, chances are you'll drop out sharpish. I personally wasn't mature enough to go when I was a teenager but now I'm in my mid 20's I feel a lot more focused. Still dominate the social life though. :laugh:

I stayed in Edinburgh and have no problems with it. One of the guys above talks as if still having the same social circles as you did in high school is a bad thing!

In a similar position. You really need to have some sort of career plan and a bit of ambition. If you go to Uni just for the sake of it, chances are you'll drop out sharpish. I personally wasn't mature enough to go when I was a teenager but now I'm in my mid 20's I feel a lot more focused. Still dominate the social life though. :laugh:

I stayed in Edinburgh and have no problems with it. One of the guys above talks as if still having the same social circles as you did in high school is a bad thing!

It's funny, because the first time that I was at uni I was one of those annoying ones who went out all the time and didn't go to classes, whereas now I hate those ones (don't get me wrong, I still have a life, I just take my studies seriously too...) to the point where I've become the 'tutting as they walk past' type.

I definitely think that starting older helps, though. You still go out and have a laugh, but realise that there have to be limits. Three of my flatmates are German, and they can't believe that there are so many eighteen year olds at uni here as apparently most German students don't start until 19 at the earliest and usually around 21.

Some of the best times I had in my late teens early 20's.

I did two courses, first one I stayed at home and lasted a year and hated it (the course not the staying at home bit)

Number 2 I headed for Aberdeen to RGU and had an absolute scream stayed in accommodation the first 9 months then moved into a flat was absolute carnage :thumbsup:

Had some cracking nights out made some great friends, Would recommend both Aberdeen and Dundee for student life

I was refering to the ability to expand one's social circles further. And the strong potential to meet loads of cracking bursd.

I was refering to the ability to expand one's social circles further. And the strong potential to meet loads of cracking bursd.

Maybe I should go afar then haha.

Aberdeen bursd areny exactly cracking though to be fair (not saying Edinburgh ones are anything special).

Archived