Barcelona - top things to do/see

davemclaren

davemclaren

Off with Mrs McL to Barca for 4 nights the week after next. What are the top things to do and see and any restaurant recommendations?

Nou Camp tour and Gaudi's Cathedral

There was a bar/restaurant on George Orwell square or something that was quite good and had awesome sangria

any restaurant recommendations?

Do not miss Los Caracoles. Great food and atmosphere - a Barcelona institution. Make sure you book though as it gets seriously busy.

Enjoy your break.

Absolutely adore Barcelona. If it is your first visit I would recommend the red & blue line city bus tours. The Red takes in the Nou Camp and the blue visits the Olympic stadium which gives fantastic views of the city. A 2 day ticket is approx. 20 euros and is a great way to get your bearings, possible to do each in an hour without stops then decide where you want to go back to. The fountains are great but only operate on certain days. Enjoy x

Barca is a great place. Bus tours are very good.

Two good restaurants are Matamala and Flo, both pretty central. Hard rock Cafe is great, as it is everywhere else.

Picasso museum interesting if you like that sort of thing.

The church that they have building for who knows how long is worth a visit.

Walk along the harbour.

The Olympic stadium.

The metro is easy to use and good for getting about.

A walk down the Ramblas and veering off into the side streets - The food market about halfway down on the right of the Ramblas is well worth a visit, just to see it.

There is just so so much to do.

A great city, just remember not to carry your wallet in your back pocket.

I've heard a lot about pick pockets and scams. I know a guy who was approached by a couple looking for directions, playing the odd language bit. The "police" came over and asked if they were being sold drugs, they told the "police" that the others were merely asking directions. After some discussion th epolice asked my friend to see ID, the polieman took his wallet. Off they went no problem. Well not till he got back to his hotel and discovered that his money was gone out his wallet.

I carried a dummy wallet , and my wife a dummy purse in Barca, leaving them not obvious but where they woul dnormally be burrying the real thing further into my person, and my wife keepinng her real purse deep in her bag.

It happens but it is to a minority of people, more than it happens in Edinburgh, maybe on a par with Glasgow :)

Recommend a restaurant called Taxidermista.

Its in the Barri Gotic area - Placa Reial (which is just off La Rambla about two thirds of the way down - left hand side of Ramblas as you walk from the city centre towards the port)

Barca is a great place. Bus tours are very good.

Two good restaurants are Matamala and Flo, both pretty central. Hard rock Cafe is great, as it is everywhere else.

Picasso museum interesting if you like that sort of thing.

The church that they have building for who knows how long is worth a visit.

Walk along the harbour.

The Olympic stadium.

The metro is easy to use and good for getting about.

A walk down the Ramblas and veering off into the side streets - The food market about halfway down on the right of the Ramblas is well worth a visit, just to see it.

There is just so so much to do.

That's Gaudi's Cathedral

Do not miss Los Caracoles. Great food and atmosphere - a Barcelona institution. Make sure you book though as it gets seriously busy.

Enjoy your break.

Can only second that, excellent place. Parc Guell is well worth the trip as well.

Era Macaroons

dont forget its got a wicked beach as well...if its sunny then its pure packed like any Spanish hol with everthing you want available on beach ..."masssaagge"

Thing is, its not got Vera from Blackpool n her family on the beach its the pure Spanish hotties:hae36:

dont forget its got a wicked beach as well...

On the subject of beaches, get the train along to Sitges. I'm sure you'd like it there Dave. :P

davemclaren
On the subject of beaches, get the train along to Sitges. I'm sure you'd like it there Dave. :P

...meaning? :confused:

davemclaren
Me and Mrs Therapist have been to Sitges and thought it was very enjoyable if a tad "different" from the usual Costa towns.

http://www.virtourist.com/europe/sitges/

Took me a few slides but I think I see what you are getting at. :mw_rolleyes:

Mind you, it does look a nice place and worth a visit but with the time we have we'll probably stay in Barcelona.

Archived