A simple question

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

A fun wee question here. Can you name the only player of Scottish nationality who is playing in Spain (in one of the top 3 tiers of leagues) and which team he plays for?

A fun wee question here. Can you name the only player of Scottish nationality who is playing in Spain (in one of the top 3 tiers of leagues) and which team he plays for?

There is a Scottish lad playing for Real Madrid - Jack Harper (I think).

I remember reading an article about him a couple of months ago.

jamboinglasgow

I remembering reading an article about him a couple of months ago.

Yeah he is at Real Madrid (might even be in the same youth team as Zidane's son, but the player which is the answer to the question is over the age of 18.

jamboinglasgow

Not the goalie then, he just has Scottish ancestry. But with a name like Ian Mackay it confused me.

No its not him, but strictly he could qualify as it says MacKay can play for the Scotland team (must have a Scottish grandparent.)

The player in question was born in Scotland (Barrhead) but moved to Spain with his family at the age of six. His club refer to him as Scottish.

jamboinglasgow

As it is a tough one to get unless you really know, I will give people another club. He plays in the Segunda Division B, I wont say which group in that tier of football it is yet.

jamboinglasgow

Ryan Harper plays for Real Betis B. He has Scottish parents,but wasn't born here,he was born in Fuengirola.

we have a winner. Brother of 14 year old Jack Harper at Real Marid.

As for where he was born, I presumed he was born in Spain until I read this, according to this interview with him in the Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/1871448/Never-mind-McNacho-its-time-for-El-Scot.html

It says he was born in Barrhead and he talks of little memories of his first 6 years in Scotland.

For anyone interested, here is some info (translated)

With the recent loss of striker Manu Hawk, who left the Italian Bologna a few weeks ago, Betis B has reacted quickly to this vacancy Cubiro Deals on staff and has secured the services of Scottish striker Ryan Harper.

The striker, who scored 14 goals last year in the Union Estepona (Segunda B Group IV) and has 23 years, signed for a season with an option to renew more if it meets a number of games played in the coming season.

It is a burly striker area band can also act in certain circumstances. With it, the staff team Oli is closed.

Real Betis B have played 3 games so far this season, I only found a report from one game which he scored the first goal for Betis.

They mention him in this forum

http://www.betisweb.com/cantera/82251-betis-b-caravaca-c-f-domingo-5-11-30-h-fotos-y-rueda-de-prensa-3.html

where on the team sheet he is simply called Ryan, though one poster calls him "Private Ryan."

footage of the goal there.

http://www.betisweb.com/BetiswebTV/Videos/48/betis-b-caravaca-05-09-10.html

according to the Sun article and his Dad, he was close to signing for Hamilton in the 07/08 season but missed out due to red tape.

Now people know something new.

The "born in Barrhead" is interesting,seems he is the only one not confused :)....the Spanish papers say/said born in Fuengirola...and the Betis website has him as "El escoc?s Ryan Harper" but a Spanish flag on the squadlist.

http://www.realbetisbalompie.es/competicion/betisb/index.html

There were also some rumours about him going for a trial to Caley Thistle but I don't know what happened there.

About 6 or 7 years ago Jamie Stevenson who played for Alloa was spotted playing on the beach in Mallorca,offered a trial for Real Mallorca and signed. He played for the B team,got homesick the next year and came home.. (A Wiki check says he was playing for East Stirling last season.)

jamboinglasgow

The "born in Barrhead" is interesting,seems he is the only one not confused :)....the Spanish papers say/said born in Fuengirola...and the Betis website has him as "El escoc?s Ryan Harper" but a Spanish flag on the squadlist.

http://www.realbetisbalompie.es/competicion/betisb/index.html

There were also some rumours about him going for a trial to Caley Thistle but I don't know what happened there.

About 6 or 7 years ago Jamie Stevenson who played for Alloa was spotted playing on the beach in Mallorca,offered a trial for Real Mallorca and signed. He played for the B team,got homesick the next year and came home.. (A Wiki check says he was playing for East Stirling last season.)

yeah saw that, it seems there is a lot of mixed up information about him. It is quite interesting to read the real betis forum about him. A thread about him when he signed was moaning a bit about how he is 23 and playing in the B team when that has been traditionally for youngsters and veterens. Interesting there are also a few comments from the last day or two where they [the fans] are calling for him to be moved up to the first team, at least for training. Read the interview with his Dad in the daily record (which was more about his younger brother) where he mentions that Ryan was really high rated when he was young but at the the age of 16 he picked up cruciate ligament damage which wrecked his career but now he is getting back to some of the potential he showed quite early on.

I think I will now keep an eye on Ryan. I find it fascinating these Scottish players that are overseas, now younger ones due to family moving over there and either moving there with them or being born overseas. I just had a look at a player I saw mentioned once before in the paper, called Kevin Kerr. He is a German born Scot (his Dad was/is in the forces and Kevin was born out in Germany) and he has grown up and is currently at the 2. Bundesliga club Arminia Bielefeld. He is only 21 and has already come on as a sub this season (while at least one of the other 3 games that Bielefeld have played he has been on the bench but unused.)

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

With his : - "..inelegant Tin Man running style, erratic crossing and unquenchable zest for lager.."

is Ted McMinn still playing for Seville ?

I'd give my right foot to see him play again.

There is actually quite a few players in spain elligible for scotland. Maybe to do with ex-pats setting up bars and resteraunts and the holiday culture.

Say what you want about FM but they generally get nationality correct and I've seen several players with Spanish/Scottish connections.

• 1 month later...
jamboinglasgow

I remember reading an article about him a couple of months ago.

While checking on How Ryan Harper is doing, I came across this article in Spain on his brother, the above mentioned Jack. Interesting to see a Spanish perspective. Seems they really do rate him.

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/harper-internacional-escoces-fabrica/dasftb/20101013dasdaiftb_39/Tes

needs spanish translation.

Archived