Tollcross Hearts

JT19

My brother alan was a member in the 70s a better class of person he would say ha ha

liked the fact it picked us up from `WILSONS` pub on albert street, later known as the cabbage and ribs !

As a 12 year old I started to go on the Tolcross Hearts bus to away games during the 1980's. I remember the likes of Thompo, Dale, Fraz and Moose, card games, endlessly singing Hearts songs and flashing backsides out of the bus window.

I was a member for a few years after Ardmillan Hearts shut down.

They still run a bus to every match which I think still picks up at The Doo'Cot, Murryfield Bar and possibly even The Rainbow.

Craig Herbertson

My Granddad was secretary of the Tollcross branch. (He was born around 1900) The family still has pictures of him at branch meetings where he helped design the tie; looks like the late 1950's. He took me to my first match when I was wee in 1964. Would be sad if it was all over.

Drewjambobusby

Used to drink in the Penthouse in Tollcross and went to one famous Scottish cup tie at Ibrox when Hearts scored first courtesy of a Tam Forsyth og. After 30 seconds or something and we went on to lose 6-1 :angry:

The main problem wasn`t the score it was the bus driver. He didn`t know ibrox and to a lot of fledglings we didn`t either. He assured us that he would drop us off in the right place and we duly allowed him to. We went in the enclosure along from the dugouts and after a very short time realised we were in amongst the unwashed. As was the done thing in those days following Hearts it was a hey ho attitude and we decided to stay :woot: First time i ever had a pish whilst watching a hailstorm of bottles. The bus went with 52 and went back with 32 that day. Dale who is mentioned earlier and Fraz was amongst the Stormtroopers at the front. You could say my first visit to Ibrox was a baptism of fire :unsure:

Im a member at tollcross hearts,usually get picked up at the rainbow inn as we collect members from the now defunct rainbow hearts.

Looking to get more members as we have room on our bus. :rolleyes:

some great days out on this bus, they were the days for sure, crack was amazing. any old members still out there?[/quot

yep as they say one of the originals even remember leavin from waterloo place When I joined(1960) I think it was call the churchill and tollcross then. It was only in the late sixties that a large amount of members came from leith. some great times was had by all, most times our buses had their own form of air condition. back o' the bus rools

• 8 months later...

My Granddad was secretary of the Tollcross branch. (He was born around 1900) The family still has pictures of him at branch meetings where he helped design the tie; looks like the late 1950's. He took me to my first match when I was wee in 1964. Would be sad if it was all over.

I was just told about this thread and saw that your granddad was the secretary of the club. I would be grateful if you could help us. The club will be celebrating its 60th anniversary next year and are trying to track down any information, where the meetings were held etc or photos of our formative years as most of our elder members are from the very late 50s early 60s. We are holding our agm shortly to discuss when our anniversary dance will be held.

Chee

Salvatori5

Tollcross was the first bus I ever travelled on, on my own.

Remember we traveled up to Aberdeen on a freezing Monday with the Tollcross mate, 0-0 draw and was probably on tv. Was chucking it down with snow all the way home - seem to think this may have been Bruno's last game for us back in 97.

Remember we traveled up to Aberdeen on a freezing Monday with the Tollcross mate, 0-0 draw and was probably on tv. Was chucking it down with snow all the way home - seem to think this may have been Bruno's last game for us back in 97.

Feb 10th 1997?I was in the Simpson watching my son being born.had the game on the radio,was a draw if I remember.

Coburg Hearts

My first SC, I joined up on 21st April, 1956. The bus that day left from the Halfway House at Shrubhill, the back of the bus serving as a mini brewery. There was at least one Hibby on board (my dad), and probably two or three more. The guy who signed me up was called Phil, a top bloke and the main man at that time, I think. I also remember a Mrs Cruickshank, who went to every game.

What was one of the greatest days in our history ended up in tragedy though. I was sitting on the roof of the bus, with my legs dangling inside, alongside my dad's mate. For some reason he tried to stand up just as the bus was turning round Charlotte Square and fell off, smashing his head against the kerb. His head swelled to double its size and he died about a week later. (his name was Jock Syme)

It was a great branch to be in though, and I loved especially going up to Aberdeen for the whole weekend, staying in a bed and breakfast in Bon Accord St. We all wore our colours and there was never any trouble with the locals.

I'm sure the weekly meetings were on a Friday night in Victoria St. Great days indeed and 55 years ago to boot.:-)

Sure do, mckenzie in goal, was on sky and I skived school to catch the bus.

Probably the coldest football game I ever went to.

super_vlad

Im a member at tollcross hearts,usually get picked up at the rainbow inn as we collect members from the now defunct rainbow hearts.

Looking to get more members as we have room on our bus. :rolleyes:

Do you guys pick up from Tollcross at all? Plus how do you go about signing up? i've had a look at the internet before but can't find any info.

Used to drink in the Penthouse in Tollcross and went to one famous Scottish cup tie at Ibrox when Hearts scored first courtesy of a Tam Forsyth og. After 30 seconds or something and we went on to lose 6-1 :angry:

The main problem wasn`t the score it was the bus driver. He didn`t know ibrox and to a lot of fledglings we didn`t either. He assured us that he would drop us off in the right place and we duly allowed him to. We went in the enclosure along from the dugouts and after a very short time realised we were in amongst the unwashed. As was the done thing in those days following Hearts it was a hey ho attitude and we decided to stay :woot: First time i ever had a pish whilst watching a hailstorm of bottles. The bus went with 52 and went back with 32 that day. Dale who is mentioned earlier and Fraz was amongst the Stormtroopers at the front. You could say my first visit to Ibrox was a baptism of fire :unsure:

I was at this game remember going mental when we scored afraid the rest of the game was spent avoiding missiles and watching hun goals go in.

As a 12 year old I started to go on the Tolcross Hearts bus to away games during the 1980's. I remember the likes of Thompo, Dale, Fraz and Moose, card games, endlessly singing Hearts songs and flashing backsides out of the bus window.

I used to go on the bus around the same time. I know most of the guys mentioned aswell as Ronnie , Brian, Cheesey and Hashman(cant remember his name). On of the worst trips was to Ibronx around Xmas the bus was full so we being the young'ns got shipped into cheesey's van ...bloody freezing it was.

Do you guys pick up from Tollcross at all? Plus how do you go about signing up? i've had a look at the internet before but can't find any info.

sent u pm cheers.

Craig Herbertson

I was just told about this thread and saw that your granddad was the secretary of the club. I would be grateful if you could help us. The club will be celebrating its 60th anniversary next year and are trying to track down any information, where the meetings were held etc or photos of our formative years as most of our elder members are from the very late 50s early 60s. We are holding our agm shortly to discuss when our anniversary dance will be held.

Chee

Sorry missed this message and pm'd you. I think my Granddad might have looked after the money. I've written to my mum to see if she remembers where they met and so

scott herbertson

I have a photo somewhere of Granddad in the quiz team - looks as if it may be early 60s or late 50s

bobthejambo

Started going to games on this bus to in the 90's some good times

We left from Easter road to go to standard liege

Archived