Discipline And Focus...part 2

Debut 4

Martin T started a thread on a poor 2nd half performance and quite right. But what was the cause?

Another 2nd half, even worse, than the StJohnstone game.

For an hour we looked comfy. But slowly we lost all purpose, focus and workrate ON the ball as opposed to off it. Suddenly we stopped showing for each other. We pumped the ball forward to Kyle too often and too early and there was no support at all if Kyle did win it.

Its becoming really frustrating. Fair enough, United can be a decent side but in the first half our movement and purpose really made it hard for them and our variety caused all sorts of problems.....but then we became predictable and workshy.

Utd were always going to come back at us but even for the first 15 mins of the 2nd half we looked in control and like we`d stem any threat. But it wasn`t because of poor defending that let them in...for me it was workrate on the ball and off it to an extent when we were in possession.

I only hope the players have it in them to learn, otherwise the axe will fall swiftly from JJ.

The problem is the standard of players with us (and in general in the SPL) mean that they are incapable of doing it for 90 minutes. If they could they would in all likelihood be playing at a higher level.

Martin T started a thread on a poor 2nd half performance and quite right. But what was the cause?

Another 2nd half, even worse, than the StJohnstone game.

For an hour we looked comfy. But slowly we lost all purpose, focus and workrate ON the ball as opposed to off it. Suddenly we stopped showing for each other. We pumped the ball forward to Kyle too often and too early and there was no support at all if Kyle did win it.

Its becoming really frustrating. Fair enough, United can be a decent side but in the first half our movement and purpose really made it hard for them and our variety caused all sorts of problems.....but then we became predictable and workshy.

Utd were always going to come back at us but even for the first 15 mins of the 2nd half we looked in control and like we`d stem any threat. But it wasn`t because of poor defending that let them in...for me it was workrate on the ball and off it to an extent when we were in possession.

I only hope the players have it in them to learn, otherwise the axe will fall swiftly from JJ.

I'm sorry to have to agree with you. first 65 minutes i thought we did well, then stopped closing them down in their half. Then lazy pumps up the park. and latterly looked dead on our feet. However it would be wrong of me not to mention the, (unpunished), diving, kicking, lashing out, (goodwillie), and the utterly one sided decision making by craig thomson, referee. on Way home listening to radio, craig patterson sais Hearts were better team for an hour then the last 20 minutes utd were better team so a draw was correct result

:woot:

We are going to struggle to finish off games with no midfield playmaker. We find it difficult to switch tactics during a game. We tend to play very direct. This often works well for us at the start of games but then at around 60 minutes we drop back and try to see out the last 30 by lumping it up the park.

For me, we need to learn to play the short, patient passing game in order to see out this last period. I think an ability to do this cost us the league in '06 so I don't think it is a new problem. I'm not sure we can do it with our current central midfielders. We need someone in central midfield with a good radar and a good range of passing to go with it. Maybe Eggert and a new signing might be able to do the job. I don't think Black or Mrowiec are the answer.

ToadKiller Dog

United changed to a more attacking 5 in midfield as Houston could see our attack was starting to tire , we did not have enough in the center of midfield to match this and in so we fell further and further back , still took a cracker for them to get a point ,JJ tried to change it by moving Stevenson back , myself i think he should have put on Robinson for Suso as this would have asked more questions our more defensive posture just encouraged them , I can see why JJ made the subs he did but i think his cautious approach was wrong in this instance .

We are going to struggle to finish off games with no midfield playmaker. We find it difficult to switch tactics during a game. We tend to play very direct. This often works well for us at the start of games but then at around 60 minutes we drop back and try to see out the last 30 by lumping it up the park.

For me, we need to learn to play the short, patient passing game in order to see out this last period. I think an ability to do this cost us the league in '06 so I don't think it is a new problem. I'm not sure we can do it with our current central midfielders. We need someone in central midfield with a good radar and a good range of passing to go with it. Maybe Eggert and a new signing might be able to do the job. I don't think Black or Mrowiec are the answer.

My point in a way. As a team we need to be there for each other late in games more than at any other time, esp when in front. You know the opposition is going to throw caution to the wind and push players on top of us, but thats when we need the frontmen to take the ball in and for the midfield to support quickly and take passes.

Not just for the first hour! Its the mark of a brave, gutsy side to still be big enough to stand out when under pressure and still do the good habits you are taught, not hide and hope you`ll see the game out and pass the buck.

Archived