Uefa's Double Standards

davemclaren

shaun.lawson

Good article from Jim Spence. it always amazes me the hassle that UK clubs get from UEFA around their ground criteria and you go abroad and see the dilipidated stadia in other countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jimspence/2010/08/uefas_treatment_of_dundee_unit.html

Yeah, I read it earlier, and it's an excellent piece. During the game, I thought for all the world that AEK-Dundee United was Mallorca-Hearts all over again, both in terms of scoreline, and the ridiculous treatment metered out to the Scottish visitors.

Imagine watching Hearts in Europe, and not knowing where to go until less than two hours before kick-off? It's unbelievable, and an utter disgrace. :down:

Yeah, I read it earlier, and it's an excellent piece. During the game, I thought for all the world that AEK-Dundee United was Mallorca-Hearts all over again, both in terms of scoreline, and the ridiculous treatment metered out to the Scottish visitors.

Imagine watching Hearts in Europe, and not knowing where to go until less than two hours before kick-off? It's unbelievable, and an utter disgrace. :down:

This situation will continue while one country is allowed about 20 representative teams in European competitions. Quite rightly, the other major Uefa nations see this as a nonsense, and revel in making life difficult for U.K. teams.

This situation will continue while one country is allowed about 20 representative teams in European competitions. Quite rightly, the other major Uefa nations see this as a nonsense, and revel in making life difficult for U.K. teams.

Which country is that then ?

As far as I am aware Scotland only had 5 teams in European competirions.

Which country is that then ?

As far as I am aware Scotland only had 5 teams in European competirions.

As far as the rest of Europe is concerned, U.K. is one country on a par with Germany and France. But with over double the number of teams allowed into European competitions.

Imagine watching Hearts in Europe, and not knowing where to go until less than two hours before kick-off?

Given the alcohol consumption of me and the lads, that's par for the Yooro course for us. :peepwall:

As far as the rest of Europe is concerned, U.K. is one country on a par with Germany and France. But with over double the number of teams allowed into European competitions.

If the UK was one country in football terms then you would have to have a British League. Then you would have to have about seven divisions with only the very rich English clubs appearing in Europe competitions.Hearts would probably be about 2nd division and no chance of European competition ever again. I am glad Scotland has its own league . Surely even the most pro UK Hearts fan sees the danger in a British league.

As far as FIFA and UEFA are concerned Scotland is one country. I trust that clarifies matters.

As far as FIFA and UEFA are concerned Scotland is one country. I trust that clarifies matters.

The politics is not so simple. There are now over double the number of members in Uefa as there were 30 years ago. For the suits to stay in power, they have to listen to the complaints of especially, Eastern European nations who say that the U.K. is over represented. There is a special arrangement to have 4 associations as members of Uefa. That may not last forever. The politics works like this. Until you have U.K representative parity, we expect you to do everything you can to get rid of the extra U.K. teams early. We will get more and more bias from Uefa over time.

Very good article from Spence there.

Really was outrageous what happened with United and would never, ever be allowed to happen if it was the other way around.

If you aren't capable of hosting a match at your designated stadium then you should not be allowed to compete.

I remember thinking during the Zagreb game as the 38th flare was lit that a British team would be chucked out the tournament or the same.

It really is one rule for British clubs and one rule for foreign clubs. How they deemed Tynecastle unfit to host UEFA games when you see some Eastern Block stadiums is really baffling, playing at Murrayfield really cost us during that spell.

Benny Factor

The politics is not so simple. There are now over double the number of members in Uefa as there were 30 years ago. For the suits to stay in power, they have to listen to the complaints of especially, Eastern European nations who say that the U.K. is over represented. There is a special arrangement to have 4 associations as members of Uefa. That may not last forever. The politics works like this. Until you have U.K representative parity, we expect you to do everything you can to get rid of the extra U.K. teams early. We will get more and more bias from Uefa over time.

Your argument kinda falls down when you consider that a lot of those Eastern European teams were themselves parts of other countries(until the break-up of said countries), and didn't exist as footballing nations until the more recent past.

Very good article from Spence there.

Really was outrageous what happened with United and would never, ever be allowed to happen if it was the other way around.

Good point, like with Mallorca and their non conformist goalposts. Wouldn't have been allowed to happen the other way round.

Your argument kinda falls down when you consider that a lot of those Eastern European teams were themselves parts of other countries(until the break-up of said countries), and didn't exist as footballing nations until the more recent past.

My argument is that Scotland as a football nation is disadvantaged by being part of the U.K. These newly independent nations think that we are getting preferential treatment, and they're right. If the U.K is one country, why 4 associations? We will only get a fair deal from Europe when the over subscription of U.K. football is removed.

Good point, like with Mallorca and their non conformist goalposts. Wouldn't have been allowed to happen the other way round.

I know I still cant believe what hapened there. The goals are fine to play against Hearts but you need to change them for the next round.

Unbelieveable!!!

It gets right on my paps that Hearts spent a fortune redeveloping Tynecastle and later get told that the stadium isnt suitable; yet all these shyteholes in Europe get games no bother :angry:

It gets right on my paps that Hearts spent a fortune redeveloping Tynecastle and later get told that the stadium isnt suitable; yet all these shyteholes in Europe get games no bother :angry:

That annoys me too.

But I think its because the British seem to obey rules whereas the rest of Europe only obey rules if it suits them.

Archived