Edgar Davids Signs For Crystal Palace

Moriarty

Sorry If I have missed this somewhere else :lol:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6340868,00.html

Dutch legend Edgar Davids says Crystal Palace's history and an appeal from fans on his Twitter page convinced him to join The Eagles.

The 37-year-old midfielder, who boasts Ajax, AC Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Tottenham among his former clubs, has come out of retirement on a pay-as-you-play deal at Selhurst Park.

Davids' arrival has caused quite a stir in South London and the former Holland international insists he can play his part in helping the club up the Championship ladder.

He knows all about the club's history as he was a big fan of Ian Wright and Mark Bright during the club's glory days when they reached their one and only FA Cup final in the 1989/90 campaign.

However, the club was also brought to his attention by one of his Twitter followers who urged him to try and help the Eagles when they needed fresh investment after going into administration.

"Why Palace? Two reasons - first, the history. When I was young I used to watch Ian Wright and Mark Bright on television, they always played well and that stuck with me," explained Davids.

Have fun

"And second, on my Twitter page there was a guy who talked about Palace and he asked 'The club has a problem, can you help us out?'. I told my followers to support Palace and, after a couple of weeks, I got a tweet from him to say 'We're saved, thank you'.

"I had been training with Ajax, and it was going so well that a friend who also knows the Palace coach accelerated the process. Sometimes you miss football and sub-consciously maybe I thought I didn't belong in an office.

"I already had a home in London, my heart lies in a big city, so it made sense for me to join a London club. I don't know how many games I will play, but I want to have fun and enjoy myself.

"I know the Championship is a fast-paced, competitive league and I don't under-estimate the standard or the physical demands. I might last two games, I might stay here for two years and finish my career with Palace, I don't know.

"But if I can help to cultivate the young talent we have, and help them grow into the players they are capable of becoming, it will be worthwhile.

"For now I'm not thinking about promotion - let's exploit the ability of these young players and see where it can take us. I know my heart still lies in playing because I am irritated by the same things that annoyed me 10 years ago."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306501/Holland-legend-Edgar-Davids-Crystal-Palace.html

I just wanted to help! Holland legend Edgar Davids on a rescue mission to save Crystal Palace

Spend half an hour in the company of Edgar Davids and you realise the man is more impressive than the myth.

Just as well, for there are very few 37-year-olds who could allow themselves to trot out for Crystal Palace at Glanford Park, S*****horpe tomorrow after a career spent gracing the Amsterdam Arena, the San Siro, the Nou Camp and even White Hart Lane.

Popular wisdom had it that Davids was washed up when he spent two seasons at Tottenham in the middle years of the last decade ? too often on the treatment table, too seldom influencing matters on the pitch when he did play.

So why, after two years of inactivity, can he make a difference in the Championship? More to the point, why would he want to?

Enter the debunker of those myths. One of them is the correct pronunciation of his surname.

Think two boys called David and you will be closer than the received version. Then there is the tale ? sadly apocryphal ? of him refusing to conduct an interview with a reporter who turned up in shabby trainers.

It is not true, yet Davids? adherence to correctness of behaviour ? that overused word, professionalism ? is such that it could be.

Doing the right thing is indirectly what led him to Selhurst Park. A regular tweeter, the Dutchman was sent a message on Twitter over the summer by a Palace fan.

?Help us, Edgar. The club is in trouble,? was the gist of the plea.

Davids took up the invitation, urging all of his followers on Twitter to support Palace in their High Court bid to avoid extinction.

The way we were: Edgar Davids during his hey day at Juventus

The battle was won, thanks sent and when the urge grabbed him to play matches at a competitive level again rather than merely train with Ajax and have a few amateur kickabouts, Palace became a possible destination.

Enter a mutual friend of Davids and new Palace manager George Burley and an unlikely alliance was formed.

?My friends know that I do everything the other way around. I just have my own vision. I don?t listen to other people. I just do what I think is right,? said Davids.

?They just complimented me that I can still mentally recharge myself to play again. Some of them can?t because they are just tired of football, while others can?t do it physically any more.

?I don?t know how much I?ll play. The key for me is to have fun and keep enjoying myself. If I have that and also I?m fit, I?ll just play. I don?t underestimate the Championship, absolutely not.

Giving back: Edgar Davids wants to take his Street Soccer foundation worldwide

Giving back: Edgar Davids wants to take his Street Soccer foundation worldwide

'It?s very competitive, very physical and for me it?s a challenge to stay on top of that. It was very exciting to play a game (against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup) at a decent level again on Tuesday.?

It would be insulting to Davids to suggest that he needs the money he receives on a pay-as-you-play basis. After all, while his new team-mates pass time playing video games, the man who represented both Milan clubs, Juventus and Barcelona devotes himself to his other career.

His Street Soccer foundation has not only become a phenomenon in Holland, it has brought a new perspective to the opportunities football can offer from Ghana to the Arabian Gulf.

Reborn: Edgar Davids is introduced to the Crystal Palace crowd

Reborn: Edgar Davids is introduced to the Crystal Palace crowd

Much of the time he will spend in his London office in the next few months will be devoted to creating a Street Soccer structure in Britain.

Davids added: ?I am going to have a chat with the FA about it. When we started the foundation in Holland, we began with 40 neighbourhoods.

'Now there are 150 neighbourhoods. The government and local authorities in Holland are involved and some schools are also attached to it. We try to create some cohesion in bad neighbourhoods, as well as minimising the drop-out rate from schools.

?When you have the possibility to do something, why not? With theTwitter thing, I just wanted to help save Crystal Palace. It?s so much easier to give positive energy and positive feedback than the other way round.

'I?m in favour of helping others if it?s in your capability. ?I was so caught up in my social activities and the foundation work ? I?m in the office a lot ? that I was focused elsewhere and while I did sometimes miss football in the last two years, most of the time it was just that I had a regular job.?

Again, the question arises. But London? Palace?

?London is a multicultural city and my heart is in a big city, a vibrant city with a lot of mixed ethnic groups. It?s a very 2010 city.

'As for Palace, it was partly the history of the club. When I was younger I used to watch (Ian) Wright and (Mark) Bright on television. That has stuck with me and also the club has a lot of talent coming out of its academy.

?Let?s exploit that and see where it can take us. Talent alone is not enough. You need to cultivate it, to develop it and get rid of that stamp of being just a talent, not a class player.

'It?s very important to guide these players in a certain direction to a certain level. ?One of the triggers to coming back was the chat with George. For me it?s important that the coach knows what he?s doing.

'He made it sound fun and having fun is the important thing for me.

?Will I be singled out for special treatment in Championship? What do you mean by special treatment? Do I get a limo? Or room service??

Davids is no Craig Bellamy ? no-one could be ? but in his dynamism off rather than on the pitch, he could help the Championship just as much.

what a man :thumbsup:

yeah he signed like last friday lol

The title was maybe daft but the thread was more to do with the two news stories where he talks about why he signed. The man is a total chap :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

Reminds me of going to see Alan Simonsen in the then Second Division at Charlton in the '70s or early '80s. Another slightly bizarre signing, which didn't really come off. I can't see Davids prospering in Championship either but it will be interesting to see. Hope it works for Burley's sake as he's had a pretty ropey start and a horrible result today.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Is it just me who gets angry at this?!

I mean, if we still had Burley here we might have Edgar too. :verymad:

P.S. None of the above should be taken seriously

Is it just me who gets angry at this?!

I mean, if we still had Burley here we might have Edgar too. :verymad:

P.S. None of the above should be taken seriously

But...but...but...I thought Vlad signed all the players anyway??

did he play yesterday?

Well he was on the park, when the true iron spanked 3 past his side but don't know about playing.

Goldstone Wonder

davids had played a couple of games before yesterday, I believe, including a game against Pompey. Good to see they lost yesterday!

Archived