Uefa Super Cup (Nhc)

Cade

Inter Milan take on Athletico Madrid tonight in the annual Super Cup game from Monaco.

Never the best of games, but there's bugger all else on worth watching!

Hard to see past Inter for this one.

JamboRossi79

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 25 Samuel, 26 Chivu; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso; 5 Stankovic, 10 Sneijder, 9 Eto'o; 22 Milito.

Subs: 12 Castellazzi, 2 Cordoba, 17 Mariga, 23 Materazzi, 27 Pandev, 29 Coutinho, 88 Biabiany.

Atletico Madrid: 13 De Gea; 21 Perea, 25 Godin, 18 Dominguez, 17 Ujfalusi; 8 Raul Garcia, 12 Assuncao; 20 Simao, 7 Forlan, 19 Reyes; 10 Aguero.

Subs: 38 Robles, 3 A.Lopez, 4 Suarez, 6 Camacho, 9 Jurado, 11 Merida, 22 Diego Costa.

In this day and age I really find it hard to understand why there is still a UEFA Super Cup or World Cup 3rd Place Playoff.

I mean seriously, who gives a ****?

shaun.lawson

In this day and age I really find it hard to understand why there is still a UEFA Super Cup or World Cup 3rd Place Playoff.

I mean seriously, who gives a ****?

I love the third place play-off, and it produced one of the best games of the World Cup this year. It should stay.

But the Super Cup - a naff, money making venture which, if won by the Europa League holders, is treated by them as proof they are the best side in Europe (but we play a season-long CL to find that one out) can GTF. Historically, its only purpose has been to prove to the whole of Europe, rather than merely Scotland, what a laughing stock Aberdeen FC and the two stars on their shirt are.

It's just a bigger version of the English Community Shield.

Doesn't do anyone any harm (barring a broken leg) so why all the pure hatred of the game???

shaun.lawson

It's just a bigger version of the English Community Shield.

Doesn't do anyone any harm (barring a broken leg) so why all the pure hatred of the game???

Because usually it has no edge at all - and what is football without real edge? In 1999, I sat watching Lazio beat Man Utd 1-0: Veron scored for them IIRC. Now, these were two great sides: that Lazio team was one of my favourite European club sides of the last 20 years, and United had been breathtaking en route to winning the CL. But the match itself was just incredibly naff; and even naffer were the Lazio players cavorting around at the end like they'd just won something important.

But on the bright side: tonight's game features two top Uruguayans (so I'm bound to be happy), will hopefully feature Zanetti, Cambiasso and Milito again proving what an idiot Maradona is, and two clubs who, for many, many years, were among the most frustrating, infuriating, heartbreaking teams to follow in the whole of Europe. Atletico still are in a sense; but it's good to see both these two getting their time in the spotlight, and in fairness, it has been a decent contest so far anyway.

Archived