Bbc Journos Maintaining Standards

colinmaroon

Excerpt from HW prematch with Eggert!

Eggert; "I feel my best position is centre mid!"

Response from BBC Journo: "In the past you've been all over the place, including striker; so what do you think your best position is?"

Watch out Chic!!!

I love it when so-called journalists go on to ask a question to which they have just been given the answer - makes them look so thick.

I love it when so-called journalists go on to answer a question to which they have just been given the answer - makes them look so thick.

It can go the other way too, I remember this sparkling exchange;

Journo - "There seems to be a great atmosphere in the England squad at the moment. Does that come from the manager?"

Beckham - "Yeah, there's definitely a great atmosphere in the squad and it definitely comes from the manager."

Brilliant. Thanks for that. Cheers.

It can go the other way too, I remember this sparkling exchange;

Journo - "There seems to be a great atmosphere in the England squad at the moment. Does that come from the manager?"

Beckham - "Yeah, there's definitely a great atmosphere in the squad and it definitely comes from the manager."

Brilliant. Thanks for that. Cheers.

The journalist was probably happy enough - Beckham clarified the first point, and then answered his question.

I remember Tony Cascarino interviewing Robert Pires and TC was translating from French and when RP answered a question in English TC still translated it in to English.

You had to be there I suppose.

jamboinglasgow

Always find it funny when Hearts put a young player who has just broken through for the press conference chat and the questions are basic stuff that any research would get, "When did you come to Hearts" "whats your position?" "How old are you?"

That is what I find annoying about football journalists for radio and papers in Scotland, there are none who actually follow youth football and look at the youngsters around. I remember being at a Hearts reserve match and Keith Jackson was there (funnily enough we were playing Rangers) and he kept asking a fellow journalist who players were and the other just looked at the teamsheet.

The journalist was probably happy enough - Beckham clarified the first point, and then answered his question.

Correct if it was for the benefit of print media. Because if Beckham just says "yes, that's true" and then moves on then it becomes much harder to use the quote.

However, if it was for the benefit of TV or Radio then you would be hoping for Beckham to expand on that point.

Always find it funny when Hearts put a young player who has just broken through for the press conference chat and the questions are basic stuff that any research would get, "When did you come to Hearts" "whats your position?" "How old are you?"

That is what I find annoying about football journalists for radio and papers in Scotland, there are none who actually follow youth football and look at the youngsters around. I remember being at a Hearts reserve match and Keith Jackson was there (funnily enough we were playing Rangers) and he kept asking a fellow journalist who players were and the other just looked at the teamsheet.

The whole bunch - well almost all of them - couldn't hold down a real job, where their "performance" would have them on a written warning within a month - wriiten, that is, not by a journalist, because journo would probably get the name wrong!!!

Possibly. Or it could be that Beckham just repeated his question almost word for word because he's thick as mince?

Possibly. Or it could be that Beckham just repeated his question almost word for word because he's thick as mince?

Possibly, but I'd suggest that Beckham is at least intelligent enough to recognise the difference between a question and an answer.

Archived