A Few Observations From Last Night....

Martin_T

A few thoughts on the game last night of which I was one of the 4,972 in attendance!

•  
  • We played well in the first half, Templeton and Novikovas both looked very good when playing on their natural side, less effective when switched wings.
  • Bouzid, save for one dodgy backwards header, absolutely strolled it.
  • Wallace played well within himself, particularly in the 2nd half and was eventually subbed.
  • Paluzeulos and Black are far too similar to play together
  • We badly missed the intelligent running of Calum Elliot up front
  • Ryan Stevenson is not as effective playing as a 2nd striker
  • We got lazy in the 2nd half and as a result lumped it forward to Kyle as opposed to playing with width as we'd done in the first half
  • Scott Robinson can provide real energy and pace in whatever position he is deployed in, late in games in particular.
  • The win was probably not as comfortable as the scoreline suggests.

All in all, back to back 4-0 wins, so musn't grumble, but there was definite room for improvement last night..

A few thoughts on the game last night of which I was one of the 4,972 in attendance!

• We played well in the first half, Templeton and Novikovas both looked very good when playing on their natural side, less effective when switched wings.
  • Bouzid, save for one dodgy backwards header, absolutely strolled it.
  • Wallace played well within himself, particularly in the 2nd half and was eventually subbed.
  • Paluzeulos and Black are far too similar to play together - very similar in that neither are really good enough.
  • We badly missed the intelligent running of Calum Elliot up front
  • Ryan Stevenson is not as effective playing as a 2nd striker - totally agree
  • We got lazy in the 2nd half and as a result lumped it forward to Kyle as opposed to playing with width as we'd done in the first half - my one big concern about getting Kyle is that his becomes commonplace
  • Scott Robinson can provide real energy and pace in whatever position he is deployed in, late in games in particular - still very, very slight though
  • The win was probably not as comfortable as the scoreline suggests - it was every bit and more as comfortable as the scoreline suggests. Last night was what it's like to be an Old Firm fan minus the bigotry; not wondering whether we would win but by how many. Not much of a way to watch footy IMO.

All in all, back to back 4-0 wins, so musn't grumble, but there was definite room for improvement last night..

Just a few observations.

You touched on width. The ability and form of our wide players is the key to our current side. That is where the flair and creativity is and how our wing players (above all others) play will define our season IMO

• We played well in the first half, Templeton and Novikovas both looked very good when playing on their natural side, less effective when switched wings. Thought Templeton had his best spell last night on the right.
  • Bouzid, save for one dodgy backwards header, absolutely strolled it. As everyone should have(but didn't) v Elgin City
  • Wallace played well within himself, particularly in the 2nd half and was eventually subbed. Very quiet game from him last night
  • Paluzeulos and Black are far too similar to play together Yep, both tom kite. Never in control of middle of the park.
  • We badly missed the intelligent running of Calum Elliot up front Thought Stevenson made some good runs.
  • Ryan Stevenson is not as effective playing as a 2nd striker Correct, but he can do a stop gap job their if need be, not bad for a central midfielder.
  • We got lazy in the 2nd half and as a result lumped it forward to Kyle as opposed to playing with width as we'd done in the first half......thought we were lazy from the start tbh.
  • Scott Robinson can provide real energy and pace in whatever position he is deployed in, late in games in particular. Agreed
  • The win was probably not as comfortable as the scoreline suggests. I blame the defensive central midfield pairing for that

All in all, back to back 4-0 wins, so musn't grumble, but there was definite room for improvement last night.. Agreed

Drylaw Hearts

Do you think JJ has noticed the Ruben and Black problem?

I'd be very, very surprised if he hasn't.

Do you think JJ has noticed the Ruben and Black problem?

don't think he has the options to really change it the now.

with both stevenson and Eggy back from suspension think there will be a change in midfield for sundays game

with both stevenson and Eggy back from suspension think there will be a change in midfield for sundays game

After Rubens sending off last Saturday, you think so? :whistling:

• The win was probably not as comfortable as the scoreline suggests.

As was I, but I'd question these two.

I wouldn't say they play better on their 'natural sides', Templeton is lethal when he cuts inside from the flanks, but when he's wide left that lets him get his right foot around the ball and across the keeper, or defense if he's going to cross.

I'd agree that Novi looks better on the left, but he did show what he can do from the right side. We're never going to get either of them tracking back and doing some real defending, that's why I agree that Black and Ruben can't play together and we'd be better with Mrowiec in there to help out the full-backs when the ball goes there, meaning our wingers can stay up the pitch for the counter. It also means we don't have Black putting in tackles on the flanks, which I didn't see him do much last night, but I'd rather he didn't.

I thought it was very comfortable, didn't think we even tried to play at our best. We were adapting to playing with Kyle in the side, we now have a target man who is actually capable of filling his job description, and I expected more feeding from Kyle's headers but I think that'll come in time. It was a good game to watch, and other than a couple of breaks they didn't really threaten us.

Other than that, I think you hit on some very good points.

oh ah grantona

my worry about last nite was also the 2 fullbacks hardly gave the option when keeper had ball and when they did balogh never used them or they didnt seem to interested more so thomson than wallace.

The pumping up to kyle was no good he was at best on deck and started the move for the 3rd with neat pass out wide

bouzid very easy game for him in defence as sayed strolled it at the back but for me when in possesion at back going forward he didnt seem to have a footballing brain and i think a better team wont give him time on ball like he had last nite

Ruben (suspended) and Black (dropped) out, and Stevenson and Jonnson in

Kello

Barr

Bouzid

Zal

Wallace

Templeton

Jonnson

Stevenson

Suso

Kyle

Elliot

Dont know about anyone else but i felt bouzid allowed a couple of bad habits into his play last night....aside from his '50p head' attempted header, he took several risky decisions, which against better opposition could have left us in all sorts of trouble. Poor passbacks to balogh, both with the head & feet, as well as a suicidal pass right across the back line. As i say no harm done on the night, but exactly the kind of thing i for one would like to see eradicated from his/our play. Tbh someone with his experience should know better. Just my observation

my worry about last nite was also the 2 fullbacks hardly gave the option when keeper had ball and when they did balogh never used them or they didnt seem to interested more so thomson than wallace.

The pumping up to kyle was no good he was at best on deck and started the move for the 3rd with neat pass out wide

bouzid very easy game for him in defence as sayed strolled it at the back but for me when in possesion at back going forward he didnt seem to have a footballing brain and i think a better team wont give him time on ball like he had last nite

Archived