Aek Athens Vs Dundeh Hobo Venue Chaos

Victorian

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3110533/Pitch-battle.html

AEK ATHENS could this morning be kicked OUT of Europe.

A day of riots and mayhem in Greece could now see Peter Houston and his Dundee United side handed a walkover into the Europa League group stages.

SunSport revealed yesterday that the pitch at Athens' Olympic Stadium was ruled unplayable and the game would have to be staged elsewhere.

Yesterday AEK saw a host of options tumble before they finally struck a deal to stage the match at city rivals Panionios.

That decision sparked riots from seething Panionios fans and last night raging punters broke into the Nea Smyrni Stadium and trashed it.

Goalposts were destroyed, the pitch was left ruined and the dugouts were ripped apart.

Horrified Panionios president Kostantinos Takiris said: "This vandalism attack to our stadium goes beyond any logical reasoning.

"The people who have done this act are hooligans and they do not represent Panionios.

"We are against any act of hooliganism."

Last night AEK President Stavros Adamidis was making desperate calls to the Greek FA for help to avoid his side being booted out of the Europa League and handed a massive UEFA fine for this chaos.

AEK were facing a logistical nightmare before the attack on the ground.

They had sold 13,500 tickets to their own fans with 500 United fans expected on top of that, but Panionios' ground holds just 11,500.

That left United chairman Stephen Thompson concerned about fans' safety and after asking the SFA for advice, United's party will be accompanied to Greece by the SFA head of security Derek Kirkwood.

UEFA have also appointed Dutch official Harry Been - head of the Netherlands 2018 World Cup bid - to attend as an independent advisor.

Furious Thompson, who spent ?50,000 upgrading Tannadice to UEFA standards, said: "I'm extremely unhappy but we will do as instructed by UEFA."

United boss Houston insists his players won't be affected by a late change to the venue.

He said: "We've done all our set plays, the team is picked and the players know what they've got to do."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3110533/Pitch-battle.html#ixzz0xbdK2i1J

can't see it coming to chucking them out but how ****ing jammy would you have to be to have that go for you if it ever came to it?

Don't see why not Vic. It's up to Athens to have their pitch ready and to be honest, the fact that it isn't isn't fair on fans travelling the length of Europe. If they get chucked out I just hope the Utd fans who've already paid for travel and tickets are erimbursed.

Be great to see United and Well in the group stages.

And as for how jammy? Jammy as...

mahgrassyshoes

http://www.thescotti...tch-battle.html

AEK ATHENS could this morning be kicked OUT of Europe.

A day of riots and mayhem in Greece could now see Peter Houston and his Dundee United side handed a walkover into the Europa League group stages.

SunSport revealed yesterday that the pitch at Athens' Olympic Stadium was ruled unplayable and the game would have to be staged elsewhere.

Yesterday AEK saw a host of options tumble before they finally struck a deal to stage the match at city rivals Panionios.

That decision sparked riots from seething Panionios fans and last night raging punters broke into the Nea Smyrni Stadium and trashed it.

Goalposts were destroyed, the pitch was left ruined and the dugouts were ripped apart.

Horrified Panionios president Kostantinos Takiris said: "This vandalism attack to our stadium goes beyond any logical reasoning.

"The people who have done this act are hooligans and they do not represent Panionios.

"We are against any act of hooliganism."

Last night AEK President Stavros Adamidis was making desperate calls to the Greek FA for help to avoid his side being booted out of the Europa League and handed a massive UEFA fine for this chaos.

AEK were facing a logistical nightmare before the attack on the ground.

They had sold 13,500 tickets to their own fans with 500 United fans expected on top of that, but Panionios' ground holds just 11,500.

That left United chairman Stephen Thompson concerned about fans' safety and after asking the SFA for advice, United's party will be accompanied to Greece by the SFA head of security Derek Kirkwood.

UEFA have also appointed Dutch official Harry Been - head of the Netherlands 2018 World Cup bid - to attend as an independent advisor.

Furious Thompson, who spent ?50,000 upgrading Tannadice to UEFA standards, said: "I'm extremely unhappy but we will do as instructed by UEFA."

United boss Houston insists his players won't be affected by a late change to the venue.

He said: "We've done all our set plays, the team is picked and the players know what they've got to do."

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz0xbdK2i1J

can't see it coming to chucking them out but how ****ing jammy would you have to be to have that go for you if it ever came to it?

More ticket sales that spaces. How do we solve this? Send another person along...

Don't see why not Vic. It's up to Athens to have their pitch ready and to be honest, the fact that it isn't isn't fair on fans travelling the length of Europe. If they get chucked out I just hope the Utd fans who've already paid for travel and tickets are erimbursed.

Be great to see United and Well in the group stages.

And as for how jammy? Jammy as...

can't share your goodwill for them to be honest. i hope they get pumped.

Should have happened to mallorca...whistling.gif

ah who could forget the tale of the fax machine being mysteriously ripped from the wall. our very first encounter with fax machine trouble.

More ticket sales that spaces. How do we solve this? Send another person along...

they should maybe ask aberdeen supporters groups. they seem to be well versed in such things.

The Treasurer

This is typical of the way UEFA are only interested in "big" clubs from "top" football countries.

Do you think they'd stand by and do nothing if it involved Real Madrid, Man U etc.

It's only a wee club from Scotland so it's not going to affect our tv and sponsorship monies so we don't give shit.

One of the guys from my work is on his way over there now. Cost him ?600 to fly to Athens today and comes back on Sunday, for a game that might never happen, or they might play behind closed doors according to the Beeb :rolleyes::whistling:

Jambof3tornado

And who is paying for this freeloader,us scottish football fans is who?

mahgrassyshoes

And who is paying for this freeloader,us scottish football fans is who?

Exactly SFA GTF! :thumbsup:

To be honest i would love it if United played the game, won 1-0 then lost a couple of goals in extra time.. Only for UEFA to then throw AEK out the competition and allow United into the group stages..

This would hopefully mean that United are knackered for Sundays game but do get through. A European run should keep their points down until Christmas by which time it will be to late to catch up with the Jambos

can't share your goodwill for them to be honest. i hope they get pumped.

I hate Dundee United (not for the same, weird reason as some on here, mind you!) but we need to get that coefficient up. I know it's a well beaten drum, but we do.

I want Hearts to establish ourselves as a top three club (I mean be there season after season) and I want those finishes to have us enter Europe as late as possible.

I don't want Rantic making any more money than they already do. That means wanting all our other paricipants in Europe to do well. Also a bit of national pride. Bit fed up of our game being a joke. Outwith the OF, we're the only club who've even nearly put up a fight against decent oppo in ages.

Sterling Archer

Would it not make sense just to play the game at Tannadice?

It would punish AEK as they wouldn't get to play a home tie but would still allow it to go ahead?

Am I right in thinking that the problem with their pitch is a short term problem with the sprinklers. In a stadium shared with Panathanaikos and the Greek government? And was discovered in a match with involving Panathanaikos?

Sounds innocent enough and there are other parties that could also be blamed if blame could be laid with someone.

Also, The Panionios ground was trashed by rival fans? Surely if AEK are thrown out for this it creates a dangerous precedent. Would we be happy if we were thrown out of Europe because Hibs trashed our stadium? It would send out a message that the vandalism and violence has achieved something.

That said, I wish United well in Europe, just not against us at the weekend.

rossthejambo

Am I right in thinking that the problem with their pitch is a short term problem with the sprinklers. In a stadium shared with Panathanaikos and the Greek government? And was discovered in a match with involving Panathanaikos?

Sounds innocent enough and there are other parties that could also be blamed if blame could be laid with someone.

Also, The Panionios ground was trashed by rival fans? Surely if AEK are thrown out for this it creates a dangerous precedent. Would we be happy if we were thrown out of Europe because Hibs trashed our stadium? It would send out a message that the vandalism and violence has achieved something.

That said, I wish United well in Europe, just not against us at the weekend.

Scrap that :whistling:

The Treasurer

Would it not make sense just to play the game at Tannadice?

It would punish AEK as they wouldn't get to play a home tie but would still allow it to go ahead?

I'm sure the Utd fans that have spent hundreds of pounds to go to Athens would think this was a great idea down.gif

UEFA have already papped out a team this season (Cypriot I think) for not having a suitable pitch so a precedent has been set

Also, I thought teams were supposed to have a nominated stadium when they entered European competitions

UEFA have already papped out a team this season (Cypriot I think) for not having a suitable pitch so a precedent has been set

Also, I thought teams were supposed to have a nominated stadium when they entered European competitions

I couldn't possibly comment on what exactly happened with Santa Coloma (Andorran) but I think there were a couple differences. One is that the match date had to be changed and UEFA simply handed the opponents a 3-0 win instead. I'm also unaware if anything could have been done to avoid the situation or if arrangements could have been made earlier to move the location of the match.

News now is that the game is going to be played at olympiakos ground and the 500 dungdee fans will be the only fans allowed in

Guest JamboRobbo

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/disciplinary/news/newsid=1502425.html

The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body has imposed a 3-0 defeat on Andorran titleholders FC Santa Coloma after their home UEFA Champions League qualifier against Birkirkara FC on Tuesday 29 June had to be postponed because of an unplayable pitch.

So, will there be consistancy on the part of UEFA?

"AEK's coach, Dusan Bajevic, was recently attacked by a group of his club's own supporters following a pre-season friendly. " :unsure:

Good grief. Puts booing in perspective a bit...

Anyway, I hope they get this sorted out for the sake of the United fans travelling over there. A match without opposing fans is just a crock of rubbish and while it might give them some sort of vague advantage it's still not the experience they thought they were signing up for.

And I can't see UEFA following precedent and kicking out AEK even if it isn't resolved - Scottish clubs just don't get that lucky.

Say What Again

so, whats happening then?

See helenllama's post above, mate.

The game's to take place in front of 600 Utd fans and no AEK fans.

Mon the AEK!!

Those Greek football fans are something else...

Were you in Athens? We avoided getting rounded up by the cops pre-game and travelled out on the train with the AEK fans. No problems, but then there were easier targets out there. Walked round "their" area of the Olympic stadium - again, no problem. The only "violence" I saw was the wee twonk throwing plastic water bottles into our area when we were held back after the game. Mots of these volatile foreigners seem to be mental in their stadium but - by and large - switch off when they're outside it.

As for Dungdeh Hivernians, I hope they get slaughtered and their fans have a really shite trip. I have to say Athens is definitely the worst Yooro trip I've been on by quite some distance. It's a shite hole. :down:

"What a shitey home supporrrrrrt..."

:teehee:

indeed, which will no doubt be the chosen banter of the day. trouble being that the shitey home support will all be tanked/psyched up and waiting for them ootside. :ninja:

gorgie_rebel

Very unsettling trip for Dungdee Hibs.

Plus a tough game (fans or no fans) against AEK and the need to push on and get an away goal to keep the tie alive.

All bodes well for Sunday as far as I can see :thumbsup:

Happy days

More ticket sales that spaces. How do we solve this?

Dunno, but one things for sure, don't ask Liverpool fans for pointers...

The whole things is a bit of a farce, but I think it'll be more unsettling for AEK Athens than it will be for Dundee United. If the game is played tomorrow night in front of 600 United fans only then they'll never have a better chancw IMHO.

Archived