SPL Gretna Solution

H2

If, as it looks like now Gretna will be out of business tomorrow, only 10 players prepared to play on Saturday for nothing.

Solution for SPL really seem quite simple to me. Up to the 22 game mark every body played Gretna Home and Away do it would be fair if all these results were to stand. After the 22 game mark all Gretna matches should be null and void and all points already allocated deducted.

Not a good outcome for Hearts, but fair to all.

If, as it looks like now Gretna will be out of business tomorrow, only 10 players prepared to play on Saturday for nothing.

Solution for SPL really seem quite simple to me. Up to the 22 game mark every body played Gretna Home and Away do it would be fair if all these results were to stand. After the 22 game mark all Gretna matches should be null and void and all points already allocated deducted.

Don't give them any ideas.

We need all those points scrubbed to have any chance of finishing 4th.

sandylejambo

i dont this is the time to be unbiased, do you think the powers that be are unbiased? lets get all we can from the bastages, cork sookers every one of them.

Dean Winchester

How is taking all points earned not fair as well? :confused:

Boaby Ewing

I agree with the OP tbh.

We should be better than that.

The fact that we're currently not is by the by.

In saying that, if the Gretna points do get scrubbed from the record, I won't be shedding too many tears should Hearts sneak into europe.

How is taking all points earned not fair as well? :confused:

Because some teams have had to play them away more times than other teams = not fair (in some views)

Footballfirst

I think that they've only played St Midden once so far, so that option is a non starter.

Toxteth O'Grady

If they fold or cannot put out a credible side for the rest of the season their games and points must be expunged.

To do anything else would create an ambivalent situation.

Take for example he situation of Rangers and Celtic.

Rangers have played Gretna 3 times already but Celtic have only played them twice.

If Gretna were to continue playing but with a much weakened side and Celtic were to beat them by a huge margin, Would it be considered fair by the likes of Gordhun Smith if the OF finished on equal points but the Pheg Sellers won the league on a better goal difference due to them humping a severely weakened Gretna?

Similarly we have played them 3 times at their full strength but Aberdeen have still to play them, the goal difference in their 3rd game against them could make a difference to who finishes in the top 6.

I don't take any pleasure in seeing a football club going out of business, I can imagine how it must feel to the hardcore group of fans who love Gretna, I hope they can find some way out that allows them to continue supporting their team. But for all that they were never a SPL side, they never had SPL facilities, they never had an SPL fan base. If the truth be told they won't be missed.

What difference does it make? and how would it be fairer to only take away points from those teams that played Gretna since New Year?

The rule is in place, it just needs to be applied and it looks like being relevant from tomorrow...

waterlogged

if they failed to play a game ,would the opposition not get the 3 points and a 2-0 goal difference.

seem to rermember thats what happened when i was a lad & played half full of saturday night's bevy in the sunday league

(showing my age now)

Geoff Kilpatrick
I think that they've only played St Midden once so far, so that option is a non starter.

Correct.

All the results should be wiped, as if they didn't exist.

Jamboross98

WTF are you on? The split hasn't come around yet, so all games should be null and void, regardless.

The SPL have to follow the rules they themselves created don't they???

If they don't then surely they will be proved to be a joke organisation.

The SPL have to follow the rules they themselves created don't they???

If they don't then surely they will be proved to be a joke organisation.

I think that has been proved many times before!

While the situation where a league member is unable to complete the season is unusual in a professional top-flight context it is relatively common at grassroots level football (and indeed grass roots Rugby, Hockey, Cricket etc...)

Invariably when it happens the absent team's (or teams') results are entirely removed from the record and do not count towards the final league placings.

That's standard practice

To do anything else would be exceptional

The whole Gretna situation makes my blood boil. From December last year it was obvious to a blind man Gretna were struggling financially. They were extremely fortuneate to hang on and get the points in injury time in the last game to get promotion. The joke SPL should never have allowed them in. They had an unfit ground, they allowed them to share on a "dream " promise they would develop their ground to standard and now are weighing in with ?100k to allow them to get to the split so that there will be no outcry from Rangers/Celtic about points deductions!!!!

I notice a report that an Irish ex Carlisle manager is fronting a consortium to buy Gretna.......I can see this develop - Irish money, invest and regain promotion, relocate to Ireland, and an Irish team will be playing in the SPL (Setanta reliant) in a couple or 3 years.

Don't give them any ideas.

We need all those points scrubbed to have any chance of finishing 4th.

Now that it cant be an all old firm final 4th is useless to us if we want Europe.

We need 3rd!

cobbyshambles
Gretna call a press conference in an hours time? D-Day ??

i think it's about the takeover or lack of

I agree with the OP tbh.

We should be better than that.

The fact that we're currently not is by the by.

In saying that, if the Gretna points do get scrubbed from the record, I won't be shedding too many tears should Hearts sneak into europe.

Yes but then we would have to GO to the Euro games and watch that shower of journeymen playing against footballers.

The very thought makes my toes curl

Whole thing is a joke. All points should be deducted as if they have not played all season.

Bookings wont be cancelled thou so a Motherwell player could end up picking up a booking with 2 games to go and getting a suspension for the last day of the season due to a yellow v. Gretna earlier in the campaign - possibly costing his team third place and Europe!

Stewart's red came against Gretna, again that would help add games to a suspension for a red card next season. Do we also get out admission back for these meaningless games?

The SPL should be paying them to continue until the end of May to avoid the above p1sh happening!

OmiyaHearts

the ideal scenario would be to cancel all points this season and use the finishing positions in season 05/06.

and if possible erase this season from my brain.

Craig Gordons Gloves
the ideal scenario would be to cancel all points this season and use the finishing positions in season 05/06.

and if possible erase this season from my brain.

genius!!

:)

If they fold or cannot put out a credible side for the rest of the season their games and points must be expunged.

To do anything else would create an ambivalent situation.

Take for example he situation of Rangers and Celtic.

Rangers have played Gretna 3 times already but Celtic have only played them twice.

If Gretna were to continue playing but with a much weakened side and Celtic were to beat them by a huge margin, Would it be considered fair by the likes of Gordhun Smith if the OF finished on equal points but the Pheg Sellers won the league on a better goal difference due to them humping a severely weakened Gretna?

Similarly we have played them 3 times at their full strength but Aberdeen have still to play them, the goal difference in their 3rd game against them could make a difference to who finishes in the top 6.

I don't take any pleasure in seeing a football club going out of business, I can imagine how it must feel to the hardcore group of fans who love Gretna, I hope they can find some way out that allows them to continue supporting their team. But for all that they were never a SPL side, they never had SPL facilities, they never had an SPL fan base. If the truth be told they won't be missed.

Expunging the points who have a far greater impact on the European spot - dramatically boosting Dundee United's chances. They would be 5 points ahead of Hibs when they are currently 1 behind, and 6 ahead of Motherwell when currently only goal difference separates them. It would also move Hearts to within 2 points of Falkirk and the top 6, when they are currently 3 points behind with 3 games left.

Why should Hearts and Dundee United be rewarded for failing to beat one of the worst teams in Scottish top flight history, when it could have a massive impact financially to Motherwell, Hibs and Falkirk who could miss out on Europe or the top 6?

Expunging the points who have a far greater impact on the European spot - dramatically boosting Dundee United's chances. They would be 5 points ahead of Hibs when they are currently 1 behind, and 6 ahead of Motherwell when currently only goal difference separates them. It would also move Hearts to within 2 points of Falkirk and the top 6, when they are currently 3 points behind with 3 games left.

Why should Hearts and Dundee United be rewarded for failing to beat one of the worst teams in Scottish top flight history, when it could have a massive impact financially to Motherwell, Hibs and Falkirk who could miss out on Europe or the top 6?

But why should these teams be rewarded for points against a team who would no longer exist?

Sergio Garcia

Because that the rules, it will help some and hinder others but in the rulebook this is what is stated to happen. Some time its just down to your Donald Duck, and Motherwell cant complain as the SPL rulebook has helped them out in the past.

The SPL should be paying them to continue until the end of May to avoid the above p1sh happening!

And where do you think the SPL should get the money from to do that?

The easy answer is make me the 11th man... pretty sure NT would warm the bench.... I would happily take pot shots at the cetic team, once I'm sent off which would happen... NT could come on pick up where I left off.

Whats the chances.

But why should these teams be rewarded for points against a team who would no longer exist?
Because they all defeated them fair and square in an organized league fixture, they all picked up bookings and therefore suspensions against them and their fans all paid money to watch a competitive game.

The easy answer is make me the 11th man... pretty sure NT would warm the bench.... I would happily take pot shots at the celtic team, once I'm sent off which would happen... NT could come on pick up where I left off.

Whats the chances.

Me too please.

:sterb003::gangsta:

Rudi Hates Hibees

Just on radio scotland tis now. Gretna have told the spl they can finish the season!!

Because they all defeated them fair and square in an organized league fixture, they all picked up bookings and therefore suspensions against them and their fans all paid money to watch a competitive game.

Yeah and some teams have played them twice and others 3times. Most teams have played against a full strength fully paid first eleven of Gretna, whereas Aberdeen played against any 11 unpaid players Gretna could get together.

Fair and square you said, did you see Michael Stewarts sending off?;)

Yep, what a tube. Everyone in Tannadice could see the red mist had descended other than Frail.

Walter Bishop
Yep, what a tube. Everyone in Tannadice could see the red mist had descended other than Frail.

V Gretna !!! :confused:

V Gretna !!! :confused:

You don't say. What he's been sent off twice this season and is an accident waiting to happen in every other game ?!

Jambof3tornado
Yeah and some teams have played them twice and others 3times. Most teams have played against a full strength fully paid first eleven of Gretna, whereas Aberdeen played against any 11 unpaid players Gretna could get together.

Its been a giant clusterfek. As you say Gretna couldn't field a full strength team vs the sheep therefore some teams have gained an advantage due to when they played gruntna. Absolute joke that the SPL should have seen coming(small town,low population=no ability to maintain an spl standard side)

Archived