Tribute To The Battle Of Britain "few"

Therapist

I'd just like to put on record that it was more than just Brits who achieved this momentous victory.

What they achieved was incredible.

I've got my fingers crossed that the weather is kind for the airshow at Leuchars in a few weeks time, as very much looking forward to seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial flight. Mother nature has ruined every display I'm supposed to have seen them so far (too many to mention), I've got everything crossed that I finally see the Spitfire, Lancaster and Hurricane up where they where they belong this year.

I've got my fingers crossed that the weather is kind for the airshow at Leuchars in a few weeks time, as very much looking forward to seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial flight. Mother nature has ruined every display I'm supposed to have seen them so far (too many to mention), I've got everything crossed that I finally see the Spitfire, Lancaster and Hurricane up where they where they belong this year.

Hope the weather is kind for you. :thumbsup:

seen the Sunderland air show a few weeks ago and the hurricane is the daddy.

Brave men everyone of them and as Therapist says not just Brits.When i go to the normandy celebrations I am very humbled to be in the presence of real hereos just talking to them is a honour, We will Remember them.

The worlds a different place now but, with all due respect to those currently serving in the forces, I wonder if us rank and file punters would have it in us to stand as tall as they did back then?

Hope the weather is kind for you. :thumbsup:

Cheers

seen the Sunderland air show a few weeks ago and the hurricane is the daddy.

It's the Lanc I'm dying to see. The Spitfires and Hurricanes kept the Luftwaffe out, but it was the Lancs that done the real damage to the Nazis. That plane defies gravity, getting 4 RR Merlins to power something that heavy into the air is an incredible feat of engineering even by todays standards.

Cheers

It's the Lanc I'm dying to see. The Spitfires and Hurricanes kept the Luftwaffe out, but it was the Lancs that done the real damage to the Nazis. That plane defies gravity, getting 4 RR Merlins to power something that heavy into the air is an incredible feat of engineering even by todays standards.

Seen the lancaster on the ground and it sure is a beast, incredible piece of machinery for then and now as you say.

Harry Palmer

I've been priviliged to witness the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Absolutely fantastic. :thumbsup:

Just the noise of one Lancaster is amazing, imagine a few hundred! The Lancaster started life as a 2 engined aircraft known as the 'Manchester' but Bomber Command wanted something better.

Although, Sir Winston was talking about 'The Few' in terms of the airmen I think the contribution of the ground staff/radar operators/WAAF and those that kept communications open should also be recognised for their part in the Battle.

True heroes.

I've been priviliged to witness the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Absolutely fantastic. :thumbsup:

Just the noise of one Lancaster is amazing, imagine a few hundred!

Although, Sir Winston was talking about 'The Few' in terms of the airmen I think the contribution of the ground staff/radar operators/WAAF and those that kept communications open should also be recognised for their part in the Battle.

True heroes.

agreed thumbsup.gif

Excellent point. I'm sure Sir Winston appreciated the team effort, but for dramatic effect it had more impact referring to the pilots as "the few".

I'd just like to put on record that it was more than just Brits who achieved this momentous victory.

Correct, many Poles and Czechs as well as Canadians.

Harry Palmer

Excellent point. I'm sure Sir Winston appreciated the team effort, but for dramatic effect it had more impact referring to the pilots as "the few".

I agree and Sir Winston had a great instinct for the mood of the nation and what to say to create the greatest effect across the globe especially for the US where Britain was written off as a 'lost cause' by many.

Many watched the dogfights in the sky and that was the visible 'frontline' for them.

I listen to many of his speeches as I'm interested in World War Two, can't help but get a surge of pride/hair on back of neck etc. Especially stuff from 1940.

A truly inspirational Leader.

Harry Palmer

Correct, many Poles and Czechs as well as Canadians.

Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, French and every other occupied country. :)

Yank volunteers likely as well.

If anyone wants a real insight into what our brave servicemen and women faced, I can recommend "Fighter Boys" by Patrick Bishop.

Harry Palmer

If anyone wants a real insight into what our brave servicemen and women faced, I can recommend "Fighter Boys" by Patrick Bishop.

:thumbsup:

I've read this, a fantastic read and it's still sitting on my bookshelf ready to be read again. :)

He also has 'Bomber Boys' and several others but I've only read the 'Fighter Boys.'

I also read about the squadron that was based at Drem, 'City of Edinburgh' 602? 603 was Glasgow I think. My grandparents stayed at Drem which was why I was interested.

I'd highly recommend the above book.

. :)

He also has 'Bomber Boys'.

I have that one too. Top read. That's maybe even more scary because the bombers were sitting ducks. At least the fighter pilots had a sporting chance because everything was under their control. Imagine sitting as a gunner or navigator in a bomber......

Harry Palmer

I have that one too. Top read. That's maybe even more scary because the bombers were sitting ducks. At least the fighter pilots had a sporting chance because everything was under their control. Imagine sitting as a gunner or navigator in a bomber......

I'll probably buy that as well. Fighter pilots were constantly looking over their shoulder though and only had their own eyes to spot the enemy.

Of course, the RAF and night bombing should've meant less fear but it wasn't like that. Very few crews completed a tour. I wouldn't have enjoyed being a 'tail-end charlie' though.

Yet, the crews carried on.

Not sure that's the case i think the Messerschmitt 109 was considered the best fighter plane around by both sides at the time. it was totally down to the bravery and skill of the hurricane and spitfire pilots that we came out on top. Thankfully we had the best pilots and not the best planes, which makes the achievement even more remarkable.

I bow in humble gratitude to all those who served and won in this conflict.

Yup we can only imagine,just a couple of weeks ago i was at Point Du Hoc in Normandy and stood on the cliff tops, although i have been many times before it never ceases to amaze me how they (American Ranger Batallion) managed to scale the cliffs under fire,and complete their mission sucessfully. As you say we can only imagine,forget about the politics of it all the men & women who made the ultimate sacrifice against tyranny deserve our upmost respect !!

Of course, the RAF and night bombing should've meant less fear but it wasn't like that. Very few crews completed a tour.

The day time carnage forced them into night bombing. The guys that were in the Stirlings and Wellingtons doing daytime misssions in 1940/1941 to keep morale up amongst the population were nothing more than cannon fodder.

My auld long gone grandad was a radar operator during WW2. Some of the stories he used to tell were fascinating. None of it bullshit too! Cap's well and truly doffed to those men and wimmen who made Great Britain the country it is now.

the Messerschmitt 109 was considered the best fighter plane around by both sides at the time.

From what I've read, there were strengths and weaknesses to both sides' aircraft. The trick was to force the opposition into a maneouvre where your aircraft was better - turn, dive, climb, etc.

Serj Tankian

The day time carnage forced them into night bombing. The guys that were in the Stirlings and Wellingtons doing daytime misssions in 1940/1941 to keep morale up amongst the population were nothing more than cannon fodder.

Agree they were cannon fodder

From what I've read, there were strengths and weaknesses to both sides' aircraft. The trick was to force the opposition into a maneouvre where your aircraft was better - turn, dive, climb, etc.

Yup i have read a wee bit about this although no expert,apparently the 109 had a better rate of climb than the RAF fighters due to the fact that their engine used a fuel injection system as opposed to the normal carburettor in the Merlin engines, again i ain't no expert on this.

Agreed but i read somewhere where a battle of britain pilot got a shot in a meschersmitt and said i wish we were flying these it would have been over in hours. thumbsup.gif

Harry Palmer

I know. That was what made Bomber Command switch to night bombing. I'm sure the British public were heartened by the bombs on Berlin following the Luftwaffe 'accidental' bombing of London.

Goering had promised that not a bomb would fall on Berlin after all. :thumbsup:

Bomber Command struck back in true Churchill style.

Whilst the blitz was a horrible thing, I think it showed a steely resolve which is sadly missing these days.

Harry Palmer

The Hurricane was the real fighter of the Battle of Britain thanks to its hollow/wooden structure which made it easy to repair but it was also very strong.

The Spitfire was faster, more manouverable(sp) but it was more complex to repair/build.

The German airforce was geared towards blitzkrieg which works on land but not when you're trying to tackle an island.

The Royal Navy stood in the way and Germany had no landing craft despite air superiorty over the Channel. An invasion wouldn't have worked.

I know. That was what made Bomber Command switch to night bombing. I'm sure the British public were heartened by the bombs on Berlin following the Luftwaffe 'accidental' bombing of London.

Goering had promised that not a bomb would fall on Berlin after all. :thumbsup:

Bomber Command struck back in true Churchill style.

Whilst the blitz was a horrible thing, I think it showed a steely resolve which is sadly missing these days.

The fact we managed to bomb Berlin so early in the war was a great coup and got the ordinary Germans thinking that it wasn't going to be all so easy was a massive part in the overall victory.

Harry Palmer

Me 109 also had a very short range.

Also, if an enemy pilot managed to bail out over land they'd be a POW whereas, RAF bailing out could be flying again same day.

Don't underestimate the experience factor.

Surprised to learn that Churchill's speech was recorded in 1951 as no recording was made in the House of Commons in 1940 and no wireless broadcast of the speech was allowed at that time. The BBC asked him to do it again. The first the British population knew of the speech was when it was reported in the press in the following days.

this is the best thread on kickback in ages.

loving all the learned contributions, seems like a subject that loads of people read up on and rightly so, only wish more youngsters would read up and maybe they would understand.

never forget those that gave their lives so we could live ours.

This guy got 32 kills before being killed himself. A true hero, just like the rest of those guys.

"Among the dozen or so Irish pilots who flew in the Battle was Dubliner Brendan "Paddy" Finucane, an air ace who went on to claim a total of 32 enemy aircraft before being shot down and killed in 1942. He became operational in July 1940 and shot down his first Bf 109 on 12 August, getting a second Bf 109 the following day. In a 51-day period in 1941, Finucane claimed 16 Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters shot down, while flying with an Australian squadron. "Paddy" Finucane went on to become the youngest wing commander in the RAF, an appointment he received at the age of 21. He was killed on 15 July 1942."

A true inspiration to us all, there's dozens of these stories out on the web, it's amazing that there were so many different nationalities involved, I salute each and every one of them.

You could 'fill your boots' here chaps :thumbsup:

http://www.lincsavia...ter-taxy-rides/

Take a ride in a WW2 classic with 4 RR merlins roaring in your ears :woot:

Awesome!

Need to figure out how to hint and point my nearest and dearest in this direction when they're pondering my Chrimbo prezzie...

Harry Palmer

You could 'fill your boots' here chaps :thumbsup:

http://www.lincsavia...ter-taxy-rides/

Take a ride in a WW2 classic with 4 RR merlins roaring in your ears :woot:

As my parents stay in Lincolnshire and I spent a year in 'Bomber country' which included a bus journey through an old Bomber Command base..if only I could remember the name of the place.....

I'd love to take a trip on a Lancaster/Spitfire/Hurricane. Iconic aircraft.

I was stationed in High Wycombe once, the operational site were the work was done, was Bomber commands HQ. The office of "Bomber Harris"'was still there, most of the buildings were single storey, nestled in amongst the trees. Apparently, this was done to fool the Germans into thinking that the base was a small village.

Jimmy McNulty

Saw a spitfire in the sky last week. Very impressive. Local air museum has a spitfire, hurricane, me-109 and Lancaster. Would love to sit in them....

Jimmy McNulty

Ps. My grandpa lived in London (had a bomb shelter in his back yard) and made wooden propellers for the hurricane. My other cramps was s radar operator in the navy (he volunteered ad he thought it was the right thing to do).

Archived