Graeme Dorrans And Levein (Nhc)

123kid

Quick question... A mate of mines said that Craig Levein had said that if Marshall and Dorrans play for their club after pulling out they won't be back playing for Scotland. Dorrans played against Chelsea but Marshall didn't play for Cardiff.

Did Levein come out and say Dorrans international career was over? Would be a shame as he was one of our only prospects.

No, I'm pretty sure that would've been big news. I've not seen anything, and to do that to the international career of one of our hottest prospects would be idiotic.

I fully expect to see him play for us in qualification. :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

Quick question... A mate of mines said that Craig Levein had said that if Marshall and Dorrans play for their club after pulling out they won't be back playing for Scotland. Dorrans played against Chelsea but Marshall didn't play for Cardiff.

Did Levein come out and say Dorrans international career was over? Would be a shame as he was one of our only prospects.

pretty sure it was just Marshall, as it was to do with the game that was on that night.

Memory a bit hazy...but was it not Marshall, and in reference to a game that was due to take place on the same night as the Scotland game?

Memory a bit hazy...but was it not Marshall, and in reference to a game that was due to take place on the same night as the Scotland game?

correct, and marshall did not play in the league cup game v burton albion.

Guest jambomickey

i back leveins stance on that, too many times in the past clubs have messed about with releasing players for the international team.

Levein will only gain 100% respect in this matter if he does exactly the same for an Old Firm player if the situation arises.

Levein will only gain 100% respect in this matter if he does exactly the same for an Old Firm player if the situation arises.

I would think the chances of one the OF playing on the same night has Scotland would be slim. Or us or any any SPL team.

I would think the chances of one the OF playing on the same night has Scotland would be slim. Or us or any any SPL team.

Sorry, I meant if a player pulls out of a midweek game but plays for their club on the Saturday.

It happens all the time, but it is within CL's power to demand that a player doesn't play on the Saturday if he withdraws from the national squad.

And let's be honest, it happens all the time - particularly with OF players.

CL needs to play hardball with these players too. But I bet he won't.

The Treasurer

Sorry, I meant if a player pulls out of a midweek game but plays for their club on the Saturday.

It happens all the time, but it is within CL's power to demand that a player doesn't play on the Saturday if he withdraws from the national squad.

You are 100% correct

Levein is Finnish if he goes toe to toe with the OF on this issue. He'd have his jotters before Weir, Webster, McCulldick and the boys run out the tunnel on the Saturday.

NoseLikeMahe

Craig wont end any international career (OF or otherwise) if a player pulls out a midweek Scotland game, then plays for his club at the weekend... The issue was purely down to Cardiff having a game on the same night. If Marshall had withdrawn injured and played on the same night, it would've been totally right for Levein to tell him to GTF.

Players who didn't make it and then played the next weekend game is no problem. It happens sometimes - as much as we an be cynical about certain players always picking up mystery niggles just before a Scotland game - players do sometimes get knocks that prevent playing just for a day or 2.

Dorrans will be in the next squad if fit.

NewYorkJambo

If Scotland have a game on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and a player isn't fit then he can't tell them not to play on a Saturday for their club. I'm sure there will be a lot of occasions where the player pulls out when he could play if needed to. But what about the genuine cases where a player JUST isn't fit enough to play in midweek but those extra days mean he has recovered for the Saturday?

I back the Marshall stance when games are on the same day but the weekend thing is unworkable

Because they have more players,usually,than other teams in the squad,they also,usually,play more games in a season than teams outwith the OF.

If the SFA were as adamant,as some believe on here,to help the OF,they would recommend no players from either club be asked to represent Scotland.

Archived