Should Friendly Matches Be Free.............?

Jamtartsinspace

Jamtartsinspace

I think friendly games should be free or a max ?5 per head as they are usually dull fare, came up for the Hearts Wolves Game, cost me around ?50 for 1 x kid, 3 x teenagers and me....... did not change my opinion.....................What is your opinion?

I think friendly games should be free or a max ?5 per head as they are usually dull fare, came up for the Hearts Wolves Game, cost me around ?50 for 1 x kid, 3 x teenagers and me....... did not change my opinion.....................What is your opinion?

You knew it would be dull but you still spent ?50 on it ?

You're right, they are usually dull, but you know that in advance if you're not forced to go, so dont.

Thats my opinion. You did ask.

You are going to have to cover the Visiting teams expenses at the very least so I dont see it happening. You could argue that the games should be free and the costs just get covered over the course of the year from other revenue streams?

Bottom line though is we need every penny we can make so taking money from the shop's earnings to cover it isn't solving anything. More attractive pricing might be the answer although personally I think the games are a waste of time for the watching punter :down:

Buffalo Bill

I mostly find them utterly dull but sometimes it is just nice to be back in the stadium.

The Sunderland game last year was quite good because they brought up a big support and created a good atmosphere.

I mentioned on a thread a while back that Hearts once played Hearts reserves in an open doors match, sometime around 1985 or '86. I'd rather watch a game like that, to see how our young team are doing.

ToadKiller Dog

I doubt apart from Glamour ties (Barca , Man Utd etc) that they dont tend to turn a profit and as said the stewards ,electric bills etc need paid so some charge to break even on the day so a charge needs to be made .

Anybody have an idea what profit is made on a single ticket for a average SPL match once costs are taken off , I bet its pretty thin .

Jamtartsinspace

You knew it would be dull but you still spent ?50 on it ?

You're right, they are usually dull, but you know that in advance if you're not forced to go, so dont.

Thats my opinion. You did ask.

"Only a game" Very appropriate name for this thread!

I was "rock and hardplaced" my older kids said they went their 1st JT match when they were 9yrs, my youngest is 9(soon 10) and the older ones beat me into submission.

I think if the games were free or min ?5 fee a full house could happen, better atmosphere, maybe better game and an advert for the season rather than dull fare.............that being said I was excited for the kids 1st game... and even with hindsight, I do still get the match buzz before the game......thanks for the reply

Baird, King and Michael

I?m always surprised how conservative (with a small ?c?) football clubs are when marketing themselves. The current set up and prices mean that unless the away team bring a sizable support, (like Sunderland) or it is a glamour tie (Barca) then it is unlikely that any pre-season fixture at Tyne will get more than 5 - 6,500 tops. With away team expenses and stewarding and policing costs to come off then these games must generate no significant finance.

Yet if prices were reduced substantially to say ?5 for adults and kids get in free you could pack out the ground, increase revenue from catering and merchandise and more importantly tempt new supporters to the club who may start to attend on a regular basis. Supermarkets would call it a ?loss leader.?

Although there were loads of positive things happening at the club back in the pre-season 2005 I still think Phil Anderton?s idea to make the Boro pre-season friendly free was a clever marketing ploy which helped to boost season ticket sales.

Even with the reduced prices on offer for those 2 games against Wolves and Blackburn, supporters are still being ripped off paying for games that are little more than exercises in improving fitness. Why not be bold and use them as a platform to market the club to a bigger audience?

Drylaw Hearts

They should be free.

I wonder how much revenue was generated when we got into Middlesbrough for nowt.

Pie Stands, Programmes, Merchandise plus all those extra ST's sold on the back of it.

Archived