Fancy Working On Heartsfc.co.uk?

tartofmidlothian

Just seen this on facebook, would be good if you are really into Hearts... Would also open the gates for further opportunities..

Guest GhostHunter

I would've jumped at the chance, however, I'm not sure Lawrence would be too happy :whistling:

Plus, Kickback admin in tow with Hearts club.... I can hear the knives sharpening from here....

:ninja:

shaun.lawson

Fancy it, Shaun?

You're not the first person to ask that! Listen, if I lived in Edinburgh, I would; but as it is, I don't, and can't justify relocating there before I've found full time work.

So I've come up with a new plan. Yesterday, I enrolled on a TESOL (Teach English to Speakers of Other Languages) course, which begins in November, and lasts for five weeks. I'm also going to start learning Rioplatense Spanish via Rosetta Stone's highly recommended programme of CDs. Once I have the TESOL, I can look for a teaching job in the UK immediately; but will also be applying to schools in Uruguay. Because what better way of writing the book about Uruguayan football I've always talked about than going there for, say, a year to live, work and immerse myself in the culture?

So there are big changes coming in my life. But in terms of aspiring journalists out there: what Hearts are offering is a great opportunity for someone. Get your applications in, folks! :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

Not being funny but they should be paying for this

Philosophically, I entirely agree. But in practice, the route into many, many professions nowadays is via voluntary work or internships. Employers look for evidence of experience - and can't justify the risk to their company of taking people on without it. It sticks in my craw a bit; but such is life, and the world we live in.

Johanes de Silentio

You're not the first person to ask that! Listen, if I lived in Edinburgh, I would; but as it is, I don't, and can't justify relocating there before I've found full time work.

So I've come up with a new plan. Yesterday, I enrolled on a TESOL (Teach English to Speakers of Other Languages) course, which begins in November, and lasts for five weeks. I'm also going to start learning Rioplatense Spanish via Rosetta Stone's highly recommended programme of CDs. Once I have the TESOL, I can look for a teaching job in the UK immediately; but will also be applying to schools in Uruguay. Because what better way of writing the book about Uruguayan football I've always talked about than going there for, say, a year to live, work and immerse myself in the culture?

So there are big changes coming in my life. But in terms of aspiring journalists out there: what Hearts are offering is a great opportunity for someone. Get your applications in, folks! :thumbsup:

Hope you get something good soon, Shaun! :thumbsup:

Sergio Garcia

A simple no would have sufficed.

Serious question Sean. Do you have a blog? If not, why not start one about being a hearts fan in England? Having lived down here I have some funny stories of thoughts from English folks who know sweet feck all about Scottish football.

shaun.lawson

A simple no would have sufficed.

Moan, moan, moan... :P

Serious question Sean. Do you have a blog? If not, why not start one about being a hearts fan in England? Having lived down here I have some funny stories of thoughts from English folks who know sweet feck all about Scottish football.

I used to have a blog, and will be re-starting it in the next couple of weeks. Hearts will certainly feature; so will the rest of football. And of course, I'll be using it plenty when I'm out in South America too.

oh go on shlawson, you should really be inflicted released to a wider audience. :P

shaun.lawson

oh go on shlawson, you should really be inflicted released to a wider audience. :P

Lawrence: "We now go live to Shaun Lawson, who's with Jim Jefferies for his views on the 8-0 win over Hibs this afternoon".

Lawson: "Mr Jefferies - what are your thoughts on my forthcoming trip to Uruguay, the POP, my family background, and LionheartF's constant winding up of Victorian?"

JJ: "Er... um... what are you on about? There was a game this afternoon!"

Lawson: "What game? Though I should stress I go to as many Hearts games as I can..."

Etc etc etc.

Lawrence: "We now go live to Shaun Lawson, who's with Jim Jefferies for his views on the 8-0 win over Hibs this afternoon".

Lawson: "Mr Jefferies - what are your thoughts on my forthcoming trip to Uruguay, the POP, my family background, and LionheartF's constant winding up of Victorian?"

JJ: "Er... um... what are you on about? There was a game this afternoon!"

Lawson: "What game? Though I should stress I go to as many Hearts games as I can..."

Etc etc etc.

yeah yeah, i know. but it would wind up the vagrants of dwarfpumpers.net

they don't seem to like you very much.

shaun.lawson

yeah yeah, i know. but it would wind up the vagrants of dwarfpumpers.net

they don't seem to like you very much.

That's because they are vermin. :yucky:

shaun.lawson

If only you realised this from the outset :whistling:

If only I had. :Agree:

Besides - I thought they'd finally shut up about me, anyway? Though to be fair, I've not looked at hibs.net in months and months now.

I think there's a few posters on here that would be into that. I'm sure we have some Journos on here.

I'd maybe be tempted if I stayed in Edinburgh. It's a good opportunity for someone looking to break into journalism, although I feel Hearts should be paying someone for these services.

Thundercats Are Go

If only I had. :Agree:

Besides - I thought they'd finally shut up about me, anyway? Though to be fair, I've not looked at hibs.net in months and months now.

Well better late than never mate! :thumbsup:

And we have a number of posters who seem to copy and paste on a thread for thread basis that im sure if you had been mentioned we would have heard.

You should contact them tho, there may be something you can do, and as you said, it would add to the cv!

Good luck if you do!

I may look to do the match reports, think i could give a fresh outlook on Hibs and Celtic games! :whistling:

Tried to pm sked21 as I know he did journalism at Napier but it said he couldn't receive the message. I think he'd be good for it and could put in a good word if I could find him.

As for the 'Hearts should be paying', as much as I wish that was true, I have to disagree with this.

It says right off the bat that it is volunteer work. You get free entry to Hearts matches (and free transport if it is an away game) and all you have to do is work for 90 minutes. In fact, that's only if you have to commentate, present or write the match report. If you do post match you get to watch the whole game uninterrupted and then work for about an hour afterwards.

If they hire a full time commentator to replace Donkey, I have a feeling they would be paid.

Tried to pm sked21 as I know he did journalism at Napier but it said he couldn't receive the message. I think he'd be good for it and could put in a good word if I could find him.

As for the 'Hearts should be paying', as much as I wish that was true, I have to disagree with this.

It says right off the bat that it is volunteer work. You get free entry to Hearts matches (and free transport if it is an away game) and all you have to do is work for 90 minutes. In fact, that's only if you have to commentate, present or write the match report. If you do post match you get to watch the whole game uninterrupted and then work for about an hour afterwards.

If they hire a full time commentator to replace Donkey, I have a feeling they would be paid.

I have just wrote a big e-mail to Lawrence. It would pretty much be my dream job. The only problem is that I have started to play football again. I have asked if I can still be considered for Sunday, midweek games and Saturdays when I ain't playing but doubt that'll come to anything as they'll obviously be wanting people that make every match which is completely understandable.

The more I think about it the more I want to do it but I have just signed for my team and enjoying it. Dilemma.

ring-of-fire

I have just wrote a big e-mail to Lawrence. It would pretty much be my dream job. The only problem is that I have started to play football again. I have asked if I can still be considered for Sunday, midweek games and Saturdays when I ain't playing but doubt that'll come to anything as they'll obviously be wanting people that make every match which is completely understandable.

The more I think about it the more I want to do it but I have just signed for my team and enjoying it. Dilemma.

That's pretty much the same as me; I work in marketing/advertising and would love to get into PR and media work. BUT I've just started playing football again and its class - this could really help my career but I'll turn back into a fat git after struggling through the gym and preseason. Hmmm...decisions... :unsure:

That's pretty much the same as me; I work in marketing/advertising and would love to get into PR and media work. BUT I've just started playing football again and its class - this could really help my career but I'll turn back into a fat git after struggling through the gym and preseason. Hmmm...decisions... :unsure:

Tell me about it. I don't need to play for fitness but most of my mates play, it's a great laugh and I'm really enjoying playing out field after spending so long as a 'keeper. But I think this would be a fantastic opportunity. What to do? :(

I can also recommend Michel Thomas's cd learning system. He has 8cd intro, followed by 4 cd Advanced and then a final Spanish Language Builder set. Really user-friendly and you can buy them pretty cheap at Costco.

shaun.lawson

Tell me about it. I don't need to play for fitness but most of my mates play, it's a great laugh and I'm really enjoying playing out field after spending so long as a 'keeper. But I think this would be a fantastic opportunity. What to do? :(

Depends on how much you want to be a journalist really. I'd do it if I were you - and try and find another team to play for if necessary? This'd only be for a year or two anyway.

Suena todo muy interesante. Que tengas suerte y no te olvides de cont?rnoslo cuando est?s all?. :thumbsup:

PD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Reference-Grammar-Modern-Spanish/dp/0340810335/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281471567&sr=8-8

Est? de puta madre.

shaun.lawson

I can also recommend Michel Thomas's cd learning system. He has 8cd intro, followed by 4 cd Advanced and then a final Spanish Language Builder set. Really user-friendly and you can buy them pretty cheap at Costco.

Thanks Ross. I've bookmarked the website: only thing is, it doesn't seem to cater for Latin American Spanish, whereas Rosetta Stone does. But at least some of his CDs will clearly come in handy - especially the later ones, I think.

shaun.lawson

Suena todo muy interesante. Que tengas suerte y no te olvides de cont?rnoslo cuando est?s all?. :thumbsup:

PD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Reference-Grammar-Modern-Spanish/dp/0340810335/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281471567&sr=8-8

Est? de puta madre.

Muchas gracias! No voy a - y este libro se parece a la Biblia. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ross. I've bookmarked the website: only thing is, it doesn't seem to cater for Latin American Spanish, whereas Rosetta Stone does. But at least some of his CDs will clearly come in handy - especially the later ones, I think.

Until you get there and are surrounded by slang, I think you can use any Spanish learning materials, just print out a list of regional vocabulary differences and learn the voseo conjugations (and the "normal" one as well since the vast majority of Spanish speakers use them). I can certainly understand Uruguyans and Argentinians except at the level of heavy slang (also true of Los Angeles English, for example) and viceversa so I don't see the worry.

shaun.lawson

Until you get there and are surrounded by slang, I think you can use any Spanish learning materials, just print out a list of regional vocabulary differences and learn the voseo conjugations (and the "normal" one as well since almost every Spanish speaker uses them). I can certainly understand Uruguyans and Argentinians except at the level of heavy slang (also true of Los Angeles English, for example) and viceversa so I don't see the worry.

When you moved to Spain, how fluent were you in the lingo? Very fluent; moderately fluent; or did you mostly pick it up only after you'd moved?

When you moved to Spain, how fluent were you in the lingo? Very fluent; moderately fluent; or did you mostly pick it up only after you'd moved?

I went to a Spanish language school in Salamanca in March 2007 and they put me in a B1 class according to the Common European Framework. When I left six weeks later, I had been promoted to B2. I did "one year" at school in a taster class aged 14-15, but it was only one hour a week and I learned very little. I later lived with a Spanish couple in Edinburgh and picked up a few words. But I basically started with about 30 words in September 2006, found a guy from ?vila to do a language exchange and by chance met an Argentinian man in the library (he was drawn to my studying the Spanish dictionary). My level is now C2 and probably was by summer 2008. I have mostly learnt Spanish myself (using Butt and Benjamin a lot) by being here, living with Spanish people, having Spanish-speaking friends, reading a lot, etc. I am obsessive about always looking up the dictionary but I generally pass if words as described as "Cono sur" or "Mex" for example, although there are many people from all over Latin America in Madrid and one picks up non-pensinsular vocabulary. Also reading Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez, Marioa Vargas Llosa, Borges, etc.

I started out reading the web page of El Mundo and listening to BBC Spanish, later http://www.rtve.es/radio/.

Thundercats Are Go

I heard from a reliable source you were getting dropped anyway :whistling: , go for it mate, could be the start of a new career! :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

I went to a Spanish language school in Salamanca in March 2007 and they put me in a B1 class according to the Common European Framework. When I left six weeks later, I had been promoted to B2. I did "one year" at school in a taster class aged 14-15, but it was only one hour a week and I learned very little. I later lived with a Spanish couple in Edinburgh and picked up a few words. But I basically started with about 30 words in September 2006, found a guy from ?vila to do a language exchange and by chance met an Argentinian man in the library (he was drawn to my studying the Spanish dictionary). My level is now C2 and probably was by summer 2008. I have mostly learnt Spanish myself (using Butt and Benjamin a lot) by being here, living with Spanish people, having Spanish-speaking friends, reading a lot, etc. I am obsessive about always looking up the dictionary but I generally pass if words as described as "Cono sur" or "Mex" for example, although there are many people from all over Latin America in Madrid and one picks up non-pensinsular vocabulary. Also reading Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez, Marioa Vargas Llosa, Borges, etc.

I started out reading the web page of El Mundo and listening to BBC Spanish, later http://www.rtve.es/radio/.

Cool. Naturally, I've been listening to a lot of football commentaries, and (trying to read) a lot of Spanish language newspapers online. Google Translate helps too! (but is hardly 100% reliable...).

What made you decide to move to Spain? Certainly a very brave thing to do. :thumbsup:

Thundercats Are Go

Mods can you block access from Uruguay?

Doubt it, they have tried to blacklist the whole of England and that failed :rolleyes:

Goldstone Wonder

Can I just say that Elvis Legend's post made me laugh out loud. Good luck in your new venture, Shaun. You lucky, lucky *******.

ring-of-fire

Lucky you :teehee: I can feel my beer gut coming back even at the thought of not playing! But needs must I suppose and I'm sure I could find a 5's team that play during the week if I go for it (and get it :whistling: ). Its a brilliant laugh but this could do me a great turn if all goes well so I'll guess that it would be worth it in the end. Plus free tickets and lifts to the matches, cant complain really! :thumbsup:

Can I just say that Elvis Legend's post made me laugh out loud. Good luck in your new venture, Shaun. You lucky, lucky *******.

What's stopping you doing something similar?

Goldstone Wonder

@ Gorgiewave. A wife, two kids and a partnership in a law firm. 20 years from now, though...

@ Gorgiewave. A wife, two kids and a partnership in a law firm. 20 years from now, though...

Fair dinkum, I'm coming at it the other way round.

Gutted. Just gutted. Up until even a few years ago I would have bitten their arm off for a chance like this. Whoever does get the gig (or persons plural) will have an absolute ball. Imagine spending your working hours doing something that you love that much??

As for those who think the club should be outsourcing this stuff - you honestly must be kidding. Doing it this way means that some go-getters/students/recent graduates will get some cracking work experience doing something that most of us would gladly do for free anyway. Many graduates in this sort of industry find themselves doing unpaid internships with crappy companies and end up doing nothing more hands-on than making the tea just to get a foot in the door. The economy being the way it is, marketing/comms budgets are often the first to be slashed and there are even less jobs available than there were before.

And don't even get me started on the differences between outsourcing to an agency and keeping it internal. There are some good agencies but they cost a pretty penny and using talented (if maybe inexperienced) volunteers with bags of enthusiasm still sounds like a much better idea to me than using some half-baked consultancy that also doesn't have the experience or the resources to justify the fees they charge. I think it's a superb idea and I really hope someone from JKB gets the gig so that we can bombard them with suggestions on a daily basis. ?:biggrin:

Gutted. Just gutted. Up until even a few years ago I would have bitten their arm off for a chance like this. Whoever does get the gig (or persons plural) will have an absolute ball. Imagine spending your working hours doing something that you love that much?

As for those who think the club should be outsourcing this stuff - you honestly must be kidding. Doing it this way means that some go-getters/students/recent graduates will get some cracking work experience doing something that most of us would gladly do for free anyway. Many graduates in this sort of industry find themselves doing unpaid internships with crappy companies and end up doing nothing more hands-on than making the tea just to get a foot in the door. The economy being the way it is, marketing/comms budgets are often the first to be slashed and there are even less jobs available than there were before.

And don't even get me started on the differences between outsourcing to an agency and keeping it internal. There are some good agencies but they cost a pretty penny and using talented (if maybe inexperienced) volunteers with bags of enthusiasm still sounds like a much better idea to me than using some half-baked consultancy that also doesn't have the experience or the resources to justify the fees they charge. I think it's a superb idea and I really hope someone from JKB gets the gig so that we can bombard them with suggestions on a daily basis. :biggrin:

I'll probably get roasted for "coorying up to the bursd on JKB" or something, but redm is really worth reading and comes across as a really nice person.:thumbsup:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

How long do you think it takes to grasp a language? Not fluent but be able to read and communicate?

How long do you think it takes to grasp a language? Not fluent but be able to read and communicate?

Look up the Common European Framework for Languages to see the standard classification of competence-based levels. I got to B1 from scratch in Scotland in six months taking it fairly seriously. I would say with a lower level it's not much of an advantage to be in a country where the language is spoken since you'd not know enough to learn from context.

150 hours?

shaun.lawson

I'll probably get roasted for "coorying up to the bursd on JKB" or something, but redm is really worth reading and comes across as a really nice person.:thumbsup:

She is a really nice person. FACT. :thumbsup:

Look up the Common European Framework for Languages to see the standard classification of competence-based levels. I got to B1 from scratch in Scotland in six months taking it fairly seriously. I would say with a lower level it's not much of an advantage to be in a country where the language is spoken since you'd not know enough to learn from context.

150 hours?

For the level AP's looking for, yep, I'd go along with that. Better if it's done intensively though.

Archived