Blackadder

i8hibsh

A wee thread for all us Blackadder fans

I'm obsessed with it and I am sure many of you lot are too

what series is your fav?

Everyone says fourth and to be fair it probs is but how amazing is the third!!

Gotta love Hugh Laurie in it - total genius

The one with Robbie coltraine is awesome

londonjambo

I actually prefer Series 2 and have a soft spot for Series 1, especially Peter Cook's ghost and Brian Blessed's King.

Apologies for the inconwenience

GC

jack D and coke

what series is your fav?

Series two for me. Every episode is quality but the one where percy discovers green is FAF!

Don't think i've ever watched all the first series but the rest are genius. Hugh Laurie in 3 and 4 are magic.

The last series was the best imho.

Fry Lawrie and Atkinson get the credit they deserve for SlackBladder but Ben Elton's equally, if not more responsible for its greatness.

Respect is due.

Buffalo Bill

2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Fantastic comedy.

Fav episode is from series three, 'the election'.

I was a big fan of 'Fry and Laurie' as well.

Buffalo Bill

I love blackadder

fourth is my favorite

Do like the 2nd as well first is okay 3rd never really got into it

You guys may have inspired me to buy the 3rd series and watch it

also a few years back got the blackadder script book from my mum(she is mad about it as well)

woof woof bark god its like crufts in here muhahahahaha

Series 3. Cousin MacAdder and Stephen Fry was Wellington. Feckin' brilliant. It's where my love of Ben Elton ends though.

Each series has their own specific highlights.

Peter Cook's ghost in series one, coupled with Brain Blessed's king are two great comedic points. 'Chiswick, fresh horses!' My favourite episode being the one with Spanish enfanta.

The second series was better for Atkinson playing the character he was born to play. The witty, ruthless Edmund in this series was a joy to watch. Stephen Fry being really good in this series, playing Lord Melchett. The best episode of series 2 being the episode that had EB playing the lord high executioner. 'My lady, your husband is......wearing a bag.' On a par with series 4 as being the best.

The 3rd is the one I like the least. The only highlight being episode with the French revoloution.

Blackadder Goes Forth probably shades it as the best. If only for Rik Mayall.

Gilberts Fridge

A plan so cuning you could put a tale on it and call it a weasel.

one of my favourite lines ever.

The "great booze up " explanation to Lord and Lady Whiteadder in Beer is a classic as well

this ought to go in the secret fancies but the captain flashheart mmmmmmm

my fave series was undoubtedly series 4, and i cried likea bitch when they went over and then the poppies sprung up!

series 2 was superb though, just loved it

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I found the book of scripts in a charity shop a few years ago

Its a great bog read

what series is your fav?

2, 3 and 4 are far supioer than the first, but they are all class !

Our history teacher used to make us watch them !

Fav one is the captain flashheart one ! but they are all a joy to watch, even the the new one with the time machine !

THe best line of the whole series is ;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTm7Z_6Dcs

1,2,3 & 4 are all superb.

Series 2 is possibly the best, but Series 3 is great too.

As are 1 and 4.

Tom Baker as the legless ship's captain is genius.

Oh, and BB, A Bit of Fry & Laurie is quality too. I have series one and two on DVD. Brilliant. Love the vox pop's on that.

Series Two, so many great lines.

Lord Percy "I'd like to see the Spaniard who could make his way past me"

Blackadder " Well go to Spain, there are millions of them"

LP "And I'd advise them to stay there... Keep their hands off our women"

I also really really fancied Bob.

th06617_gabrielle_glaister.jpg

Not a bad episode in 4 seasons and a few specials, although the one they made for the Millenium Dome, Blackadder Back & Forth was poor compared to the utter genius of the rest.

I actually prefer Series 2 and have a soft spot for Series 1, especially Peter Cook's ghost and Brian Blessed's King.

Apologies for the inconwenience

GC

Gotta say I think the 1st one is pretty rank

A medieval Mr Bean

2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Fantastic comedy.

Fav episode is from series three, 'the election'.

I was a big fan of 'Fry and Laurie' as well.

Buffalo Bill

Good old Dunny on the Whirral

Series 3. Cousin MacAdder and Stephen Fry was Wellington. Feckin' brilliant. It's where my love of Ben Elton ends though.

Big time

Reckon most folk agree

I bow to him for blackadder but he became a grade A **** afetr that

This ios the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun!!!!

sheer class

Note: Blackadder himself is referred to either as BA or EB

UNKNOWN EPISODES

"Baldrick, your brain is like the four headed, man-eating haddock fish beast of Aberdeen"

"In what way? "

"It doesn't exist "

- Edmund & Baldrick

"They do say, Mrs M., that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are of course wrong, as you will soon discover...when I stick this toasting fork in your head."

- Edmund

"Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?"

"No, but I've often thought I'd like to."

"Well don't, it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the

placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales Baldrick, you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight."

- Edmund & Baldrick

Baldrick, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here again'.

- EB, "Blackadder's Christmas Carol"

I fear the words "I have a cunning plan" are rapidly marching towards this conversation with ill-deserved confidence.

- EB, "Blackadder's Christmas Carol"

"Tell me, Brother Baldrick, what exactly did God do to the Sodomites?"

"I dunno, but I can't imagine it was worse than what they used to do to each other."

- EB & Baldrick, "Blackadder's Christmas Carol"

I can't see the point in the theatre. All that sex and violence. I get enough of that at home. Apart from the sex, of course.

- Baldrick

"I want my mother."

"Ah, yes Baldrick. A maternally crazed gorilla would come in handy at this very moment."

- Baldrick & EB

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund

"I don't take kindly to insults"

"Funny, with a face like yours, I'd have thought you'd be used to it by now."

- EB & ?

As a reward, Baldrick, take a short holiday...did you enjoy it?

- Edmund

BELLS

In the house of Kate and her father.

K: Father, I must speak. I can be silent no longer. All day long you muttered to yourself, gibbered, dribbled, moaned and bat your head against the wall, yelling "I want to die". Now you may say I'm leaping to conclusions but you're not *completely* happy, are you? It's mother, isn't it?

F: No, it is not.

K: You're brooding over her death, aren't you?

F: Kate, for the final time, your mother is not dead. She's run off with your uncle Henry.

K: Dear father, I know you only say such things to comfort me.

F: Your mother is alive and well and living in Droitwich. It is not her I brood over. I'm sad because, my darling, our poverty has now reached such extremes that I can no longer afford to keep us. I must look to my own dear tiny darling to sustain me in my frail dotage.

K: But father, surely...

F: Yes Kate, I want you to become a prostitute.

K: Father!

F: Do you defy me?

K: But indeed, I do. For it is better to die poor than to live in shame and ignominy.

F: No, it isn't.

K: I'm young and strong and clever. My nose is pretty. I shall find another way to earn us a living.

F: Oh, please... go on the game. It is a steady job and you'd be working from home.

K: Goodbye father. I shall go to London, disguise my self as a boy and seek my fortune!

F: But why go all the way to London when you can make a fortune lying on your back?

EB becomes worried about the feelings he is getting for his manservant, Bob, who is actually a cunningly disguised good-looking girl called Kate, and goes to the doctors.

D: Now then what seems to be the trouble?

E: Well, it is my man servant.

D: I see. Well don't be embarrassed if you got the pocks. Just pop your man servant on the table and we'll take a look at him.

E: No, I mean, it is my real man servant.

D: Ah, ah. And what is wrong with him?

E: There is nothing wrong with him. That is the problem. He's perfect and last night I almost kissed him.

D: I see. So you started fancying boys then, have you?

E: Not boys. A boy.

D: Yes, well let's not split hairs. It is all rather disgusting and naturally you're worried.

E: Of course I'm worried.

D: Well, of course you are. It isn't every day a man wakes up to discover he's a screaming bender with no more right to live on Gods clean earth than a weazle. Ashamed of your self?

E: Not really, no.

D: Bloody hell! I would be. But still why should I complain? Just leaves more rampant totty for us real men, eh?

E: Look, am I paying for this personal abuse or is it extra?

D: No, it's all part of the service. I think you're in luck though. An extraordinary new cure has just been developed for exactly this kind of sordid problem.

E: It wouldn't have anything to do with leeches, would it?

D: I had no idea you were a medical man.

E: Never had anything you doctors didn't try to cure with leeches. A leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation.

D: They're marvellous, aren't they?

E: Well, the bottom one wasn't. I just sat there and squashed it.

D: You know the leech comes to us on the highest authority?

E: Yes. I know that. Dr. Hoffmann of Stuttgart, isn't it?

D: That's right, the great Hoffmann.

E: Owner of the largest leech farm of Europe.

D: Yes. Well, I cannot spend all day gossiping. I'm a busy man. As far as this case is concerned I have now had time to think it over and I can strongly recommend a course of leeches.

E: Yes. I 'll pop a couple down my codpiece before I go to bed.

D: No, no, no, no. Don't be ridiculous. This isn't the dark ages. Just pop four in your mouth in the morning and let them dissolve slowly. In a couple of weeks you 'll be beating your servant with a stick, just like the rest of us.

EB goes to visit the Wise Woman in Putney and asks a Young Crone for information

E: Tell me Young crone, is this Putney?

C: That it be, that it be.

E: "Yes it is". Not "that it be". You don't have to talk in that stupid voice to me. I'm not a tourist. I seek information about a Wisewoman.

C: Ah, the Wisewoman.. the Wisewoman.

E: Yes, the Wisewoman.

C: Two things, my lord, must thee know of the Wisewoman. First, she is... a woman, and second, she is ...

E: .. wise?

C: You do know her then?

E: No, just a wild stab in the dark which is incidentally what you'll be getting if you don't start being a bit more helpful. Do you know where she lives?

C: Of course.

E: Where?

C: Here. Do you have an appointment?

E: No.

C: Well, you can go in anyway.

E: Thank you Young crone. Here is a purse of moneys... which I'm not going to give to you.

3.1 DISH & DISHONESTY

( Speaker & new Prime Minister, the 16-year old Pitt The Younger )

S: Honourable members of the House of Commons, I call upon the new Prime Minister of Great Britain and Her Empires: Mr. William Pitt, the Younger.

P: Mr. Speaker, members of the House: I shall be brief, as I have, rather unfortunately, become Prime Minister right in the middle of my exams. I look forward to fulfilling my duty in a manner of which Nanny would be proud. I shall introduce legislation to utterly destory three enemies of the State. The first is that evil dictator, Napoleon Bonaparte.

(Members shout `Here here!!')

P: The second is my old Geography master, (Benonabreast Switchanks?). But most of all, sirs, I intend to pursue that utter slob, The Prince of Wales! Why, this year alone, he has spent 15,000 pounds on banqueting (shouts of `boo! boo!'), 20,000 pounds on perfume (members all hold their noses), and -- most astonishing of all -- an astonishing 59,000 pounds on socks! Therefore, my three main policy priorities are: 1) War with France; 2) Tougher sentences for geography teachers; and 3) A right royal kick of the Prince's backside!!

(all members shout affirmatively)

P: I now put upon the leader of the Opposition to test me on my Latin vocab

G: Well, they can't do that. Why, the public love me! Only the other day, I was out in the street and they sang, `We hail Prince George! We hail Prince George!'

E: `We *hate* Prince George', sir. `We *hate* Prince George!'

G: Was it?

E: I fear so, sir.

- Prince George realises something?

G: Well, what's he like?

E: Well, according to `Who's Who', his interests include flogging servants, shooting poor people, and the extension of slavery to anyone who hasn't got a knighthood.

G: Excellent! Sensible policies for a happier Britain!

- George on a backbench MP

G: Ah, so you don't approve of his ( Pitt ) plans to abolish me, then.

T: I do not, sir. Damn his eyes! Damn his britches! Damn his duck pond!

G: Well, hurrah for that!

T: I care not a jot that you are the son of a certified sauerkraut-sucking loon!

- That same backbench MP talking with George

G: Ah, thank you, sir.

T: It minds not me that you dress like a mad parrot and talk like a plate of beans negotiating their way out of a cow's digestive system. It is no skin off my rosy nose that there are bits of lemon peel floating down the Thames that would make better Regents than you.

G: Well, bravo!

T: The fact is, you *are* Regent...

G: Yes, I am...

T: ...appointed by God, and I shall stick by you forever, though infirmity lay me waste and ill health curse my every waking moment. (falls into the chair dead )

- Last words of that Backbench MP

E: Your Highness; Pitt the Younger.

G: Why, hello there, young sabre, m'lad! I say, here's one: I've a shiny sixpence here and for the clever fellow who can tell me which hand it's in.

(Pitt just stares.)

G: Hmm? Oh, school, school! On half hols, is it? Yeah, I bet you can't wait to get back and get that bat in your hand and give those balls a good walloping, eh?

E: Mr. Pitt is the Prime Minister, sir.

- George once again, demonstrates his knowledge

E: Well, we in the Adder Party are going to fight this campaign on issues, not personalities.

H: Why is that?

E: Because our candidate doesn't have a personality.

- The Candidate is Baldrick...

INK & INCAPABILITY

B: Something wrong, Mr. B?

E: Oh, something's always wrong, Balders.The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle. But, today, something's even wronger. That globulous fraud, Dr. Johnson, is coming to tea.

E : Right, let's get the book. Now; Baldrick, where's the manuscript?

B: You mean the big papery thing tied up with string?

E: Yes, Baldrick -- the manuscript belonging to Dr. Johnson.

B: You mean the baity fellow in the black coat who just left?

E: Yes, Baldrick -- Dr. Johnson.

B: So you're asking where the big papery thing tied up with string belonging to the baity fellow in the black coat who just left is.

E: Yes, Baldrick, I am, and if you don't answer, then the booted bony thing with five toes at the end of my leg will soon connect sharply with the soft dangly collection of objects in your trousers. For the last time, Baldrick, where is Dr. Johnson's manuscript?

B: On the fire.

E: (shocked) On the *what*?

B: The hot orangy thing under the stony mantlepiece.

E: You *burned* the Dictionary?

B: But then I'll go to Hell forever for stealing.

E: Baldrick, believe me: eternity in the company of Beezlebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me -- and this pencil -- if we can't replace this Dictionary.

E: Sir, I have been unable to replace the Dictionary. I am therefore leaving immediately for Nepal, where I intend to live as a goat.

G: Why?

E: Because if I stay here, Dr. Johnson's companions will have me brutally murdered, sir.

E: Baldrick, that is by far and away, and without a shadow of doubt, the worst and most comtemptible plan in the history of the universe. On the other hand, I hear the sound of disembowelling cutlasses being sharpened, and it's the only plan we've got, so if you will excuse me, gentlemen...

J: Where is my Dictionary?E: And what dictionary would this be?

J: The one that has taken eighteen hours of every day for the last tenyears. My mother died; I hardly noticed. My father cut off his head and fried it in garlic in the hope of attracting my attention; I scarcely looked up from my work. My wife brought armies of lovers to the house, who worked in droves so that she might bring up a huge family of *******s.

E: Baldrick, fetch my novel.

B: Novel?

E: Yes -- the big papery thing tied up with string.

B: What, like the thing we burnt?

E: Exactly like the thing we burnt.

B: So you're asking for the big papery thing tied up with string, exactly like the thing we burnt.

E: Exactly.

B: We burnt it.

NOB & NOBILITY

M: Bonjour, monsieur.

E: What?

M: Bonjour, monsieur -- it's French.

E: So is eating frogs, cruelty to geese and urinating in the street, but that's no reason to inflict it on the rest of us.

E: Doesn't anyone know? We hate the French! We fight wars against them! Did all those men die in vain on the field at Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc simply wasting good matches?

- Miggins & EB, commenting on the new craze for France in England

You see, the ancient Greeks, Sir, wrote in legend of a terrible container in which all the evils of the world were trapped. How prophetic they were. All they got wrong was the name. They called it "Pandora's Box," when, of course, they meant "Baldrick's Trousers."

We are told that, when the box was opened, the whole world turned to darkness because of Pandora's fatal curiousity. I charge you now, Baldrick: for the good of all mankind, never allow curiosity to lead you to open your trousers. Nothing of interest lies therein.

- EB, on the smell from Baldrick's trousers

E: Do you speak English?

F: A little...

E: Yes, when you say "a little," what exactly do you mean? I mean, can we talk? or are we going to spend the rest of the afternoon asking each other the way to the beach in very loud voices?

F: Ah, no. I can, er, order coffee, deal with waiters, make sexy chit-chat with girls -- that type of thing.

E: Oh, good.

F: Just don't ask me to take a physiology class or direct a light opera.

E: No, no, I won't. [propositioning] Now, listen, Frou Frou ...Would you like to earn some money?

F: No, I wouldn't. I would like other people to earn it and then >give< it to me, just like in France in the good old days.

- EB & The Comte de Frou Frou, an escapee from Revolutionary France

No he won't, Baldrick. Either I think up an idea, or, tomorrow, we die -- which, Baldrick, I have to tell you, I have no intention of doing, because I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich, and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf.

- EB

"Great Scott, sir! You mean the moment's finally arrived for us to give Harry Hun a good old British-style thrashing, six of the best, trousers down?"

"...If you mean, 'Are we all going to get killed?', then...yes."

- George and Edmund

Clearly General Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan attempt to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin...

- Edmund

"That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

"Is there any particular area you'd like us to go for? We can aim anywhere..."

"...Well, in that case...just above the top of my head might be a good spot..."

- EB to firing squad

"You used to have a rabbit. Beautiful little thing. Do you remember?"

"Flossy."

"That's right. Flossy. Do you remember what happened to Flossy?"

"You shot him."

"That's right. It was the kindest thing to do after he'd been run over by that car."

"_Your_ car, sir."

"Yes, by my car. But even that was an act of mercy when you remember that that dog had been set on him."

"_Your_ dog, sir."

- Melchett and George

"In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."

"You look surprised, Blackadder."

"I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we _had_ any battle plans."

- Cpt. Darling, Melchett and Edmund

"You should treat your aircraft like you treat your woman."

"So you should take your plane out to dinner and a movie?"

"No, get in her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!"

- Lord Flash-Heart & Edmund

"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"

"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."

- George & Edmund

"I think I'll write my tombstone - Here lies Edmund Blackadder, and he's bloody annoyed."

- Edmund

THIS IS THE END

Baldrick: No, the thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on, right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right? and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?

Edmund: Do you mean "How did the war start?"

Baldrick: Yeah.

George: The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire- building.

Edmund: George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.

George: Oh, no, sir, absolutely not. (aside, to Baldick) Mad as a bicycle!

Baldrick: I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

Edmund: I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot.

Baldrick: Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved, sir.

Edmund: Well, possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing was that it was too much effort *not* to have a war.

George: By God this is interesting; I always loved history -- The Battle of Hastings, Henry VIII and his six knives, all that.

Edmund: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.

Baldrick: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?

Edmund: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.

George: What was that, sir?

Edmund: It was bollocks.

The Cavalier Years is pretty funny too (the one they did for comic relief). Back and Forth however was a big pile of turd.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Dunny on the Wold surely?

Apologies for my pedantry...

The Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party....no votes

IMO Series 2, 3 and 4 of Blackadder are all magnificent, there is not a wasted moment in any of them, every line is quotable. The acting and scripts are exceptional, the moment where Captain Darling thinks the war is over just before they go 'over the top' at the end of Blackadder goes Forth (Thank God! We lived through it! The Great War 1914-1917) is a quite brilliant piece of writing.

Hey nonny nonny, my lord! Excellent debate.

I'm going for series 4, which just shades it over series 2. Series 3 is fantastic though, with Hugh Laurie stealing the show.

I know it's a different series, but this is the best Fry and Laurie sketch ever.

"Mark the difference for me"

I know it's a different series, but this is the best Fry and Laurie sketch ever.

"Mark the difference for me"

"Oh Christ!, I've left the iron on..."

Era Macaroons
1,2,3 & 4 are all superb.

Series 2 is possibly the best, but Series 3 is great too.

As are 1 and 4.

oh make your mind up

I thought they were all excellent, compulsive viewing

can watch 2,3 & 4 over and over in fact i have...think i need to get a new box set, the dvd's are becoming abit worn.

highlights, baldricks sopwith camel, rik mayal- 'treat your plane like your lady' speech is just superb...still sure you can see all of them just about corpse on that one...

baldrick returning with the door in season 2, 'you said get the door...'

there just too many going home tonight to watch them again

"Baldrick if I were you I’d make the following excuse phenomenally good”

“You said get the door......"

So good. Series II has to win but the last scene for Blackadder goes Forth is probably one of if not the most poignant moments in television.

http://scotsport.podbean.com

Denny Crane

From the 1st series:-

Servant: My Lord News. Lord Essex is dead.

King Richard: What!? I like not this news. Bring me more news.

(servant scuttles off and comes back seconds later)

Servant: My Lord news. Lord Essex is not dead.

King Richard: Splendid.

Dunny on the Wold surely?

Apologies for my pedantry...

I've always thought it was whirral!!

Although I am man enough to admit if I am wrong:p

IMO Series 2, 3 and 4 of Blackadder are all magnificent, there is not a wasted moment in any of them, every line is quotable. The acting and scripts are exceptional, the moment where Captain Darling thinks the war is over just before they go 'over the top' at the end of Blackadder goes Forth (Thank God! We lived through it! The Great War 1914-1917) is a quite brilliant piece of writing.

A very poignant ending - perfect way to end such a fantastic piece of work

can watch 2,3 & 4 over and over in fact i have...think i need to get a new box set, the dvd's are becoming abit worn.

highlights, baldricks sopwith camel, rik mayal- 'treat your plane like your lady' speech is just superb...still sure you can see all of them just about corpse on that one...

baldrick returning with the door in season 2, 'you said get the door...'

there just too many going home tonight to watch them again

"Hey girls look at my machinery!"

genius

Archived