What Motivates You To Exercise ?

Guest vanbasten1874

Guest Ash Cloud

My main motivation for exercise is my annual pilgramage to some Spanish mecca so that i can take my rightful place poolside with all the other beautiful people drinking and cavorting in the sun . Its now only four weeks til the ash cloud descends on shagaluf and i must admit my exercise regime is in over drive as i hone my body to perfection and was wondering as i just put in another twenty odd miles on the exercise bike what other like minded kb'ers do to whip themselves into shape for the shagging season . Answers on a postcard via kickback please . ;););)

Vanity definately my favourite sin .

My main motivation for exercise is my annual pilgramage to some Spanish mecca so that i can take my rightful place poolside with all the other beautiful people drinking and cavorting in the sun . Its now only four weeks til the ash cloud descends on shagaluf and i must admit my exercise regime is in over drive as i hone my body to perfection and was wondering as i just put in another twenty odd miles on the exercise bike what other like minded kb'ers do to whip themselves into shape for the shagging season . Answers on a postcard via kickback please . ;););)

Vanity definately my favourite sin .

Exercise is just wrong.

I do none whatsoever and I'm lean and toned. :whistling:

Relaxing on the couch is as much exercise as I get, unless I walk to the pub. :thumbsup:

I'm doing a 10k at the start of September so that's plenty of motivation for me at the moment.

If you want to sponsor me the address is:

here!

Outisde that I've felt much healthier since going to the gym regularly (I go at least three times a week for 1-1.5 hrs a go.

I suppose some of it is motivated at keep the weight down given I drink loads!

Guest Ash Cloud

Exercise is just wrong.

I do none whatsoever and I'm lean and toned. :whistling:

Relaxing on the couch is as much exercise as I get, unless I walk to the pub. :thumbsup:

The carrot and stick approach to exercise i like ! :thumbsup:

Guest Ash Cloud

I'm doing a 10k at the start of September so that's plenty of motivation for me at the moment.

here!

Outisde that I've felt much healthier since going to the gym regularly (I go at least three times a week for 1-1.5 hrs a go.

Doing a 10k is all the motivation you need with the added bonus of all that weight loss means you can drink even more ! everyones a winner '. :)

I don't need motivation as the gym is genuinely a hobby.

In fact I would says it's a way of life.

I finish work - go to gym.

Kind of like getting up in morning, brushing my teeth.

It just happens.

WHY do I train though?

Vanity - weights

Healthy heart - cardio

My girlfriend bought me a couple of M-size shirts from H&M, and I want to be able to wear them without worrying about whether they look a bit too tight.

Also, there's nothing like the sense of achievement you get once you get home from a jog and are just out the shower. :thumbsup:

Since giving up smoking 2 years ago I've become a fat *******. If I didn't gym and run a bit I'd be a huge fat ******* :yucky:

The motivation comes from the fear of turning into a fat jobby.... like ma dad :whistling:

I find doing activities i enjoy alot easier, like playing fitbaw is good fitness but i dont look at it as fitness. More for the enjoyment!

Look after your body, it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

I only exercise if its fun, 6's once a week for me.

Go to the gym about once a month but that's it. I don't play sport at a high level and I'm not too fat so what's the point.

Big ChipButty

The motivation comes from the fear of turning into a fat jobby.... like ma dad :whistling:

I find doing activities i enjoy alot easier, like playing fitbaw is good fitness but i dont look at it as fitness. More for the enjoyment!

Look after your body, it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Just for a moment I thought my son had written that, then I saw your name :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Also, there's nothing like the sense of achievement you get once you get home from a jog and are just out the shower. :thumbsup:

Great feeling. :thumbsup:

I always like to look at this advert when I cannae be arsed going for a run. Dunno why, just love Ali and Zidane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHyXdyRXMsg

I find when I don't exercise for a while it really affects my moods and I feel really sluggish. Unfortunately, I've not kicked a baw or ran for a good month now after ****ing the ligaments in my knee. Driving me mental. Going to go for a wee jog today and hope my knee can handle it!

Sterling Archer

Just for a moment I thought my son had written that, then I saw your name :)

:ermm::whistling:

Couldn't say that anymore anyway!

tommythejambo

Trying to get in good nick for the start of the football season usually does it.

Sometimes I just can't be ****ed and put it off for as long as possible.

Snake Plissken

It's something I genuinely enjoy for a start.

I go to the gym round the corner every lunchtime - better than forcing small talk with the colleagues anyday. I usually either blast the treadmill up to 15/16 km/h and hang on for 20 minutes or really blitz one muscle group (biceps, calves, triceps etc). Knowing I don't have long really pushes me to absolutely go for it.

I work out in the evenings two or three times a week on top of that and they tend to be slower, more precise workouts - targeting a couple of larger muscle groups. My motivation for that is playing football at the weekends and a bit of vanity.

I've seen a lot of people my age start the slow and sorry decline into obesity and it's something that will never happen to me.

tommythejambo

It's something I genuinely enjoy for a start.

I go to the gym round the corner every lunchtime - better than forcing small talk with the colleagues anyday. I usually either blast the treadmill up to 15/16 km/h and hang on for 20 minutes or really blitz one muscle group (biceps, calves, triceps etc). Knowing I don't have long really pushes me to absolutely go for it.

I work out in the evenings two or three times a week on top of that and they tend to be slower, more precise workouts - targeting a couple of larger muscle groups. My motivation for that is playing football at the weekends and a bit of vanity.

I've seen a lot of people my age start the slow and sorry decline into obesity and it's something that will never happen to me.

This is another reason I genuinely try to keep exercising for.

Still only 20, and pretty fit, but a 5/6-month lay-off from almost all types of exercise aside from walking made me realise that it could quite easily happen if I don't get my **** together.

Tommy Wiseau

I always like to look at this advert when I cannae be arsed going for a run. Dunno why, just love Ali and Zidane.

I find when I don't exercise for a while it really affects my moods and I feel really sluggish. Unfortunately, I've not kicked a baw or ran for a good month now after ****ing the ligaments in my knee. Driving me mental. Going to go for a wee jog today and hope my knee can handle it!

Class advert.

It's a nightmare isn't it? Over the past year, some pretty rough circumstances have meant I've put on about 3/4 of a stone, but I had all summer free to go to the gym, play tennis and get out running to shift it and get back in shape.

2 weeks into my holiday I went over my ankle really badly at football and fecked the ligaments. Not content with that, I had entered a 5km race the next night and stupidly did it to avoid losing face. The summer has practically been a write off since. Nothing more frustrating. Every time I go back to football or out for a run, I feel the ankle again. Just managed to get out for my first attempt at a run for a few weeks yesterday and it wasn't pretty, but hopefully the old ankle will hold up from here on out.

Class advert.

It's a nightmare isn't it? Over the past year, some pretty rough circumstances have meant I've put on about 3/4 of a stone, but I had all summer free to go to the gym, play tennis and get out running to shift it and get back in shape.

2 weeks into my holiday I went over my ankle really badly at football and fecked the ligaments. Not content with that, I had entered a 5km race the next night and stupidly did it to avoid losing face. The summer has practically been a write off since. Nothing more frustrating. Every time I go back to football or out for a run, I feel the ankle again. Just managed to get out for my first attempt at a run for a few weeks yesterday and it wasn't pretty, but hopefully the old ankle will hold up from here on out.

Nightmare eh. I'm dreading the first run as it's always a killer after a while off. Fortunately I've been doing some weights here and there so I'm hoping I'm not as unfit as I feel!

Good luck with the ankle. :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

This is another reason I genuinely try to keep exercising for.

Still only 20, and pretty fit, but a 5/6-month lay-off from almost all types of exercise aside from walking made me realise that it could quite easily happen if I don't get my **** together.

Friend of mine was a bit of an athlete back in the day, represented Britain in his sport as a youth, was on course to go to the Olympics then he did his ligmants and the weight piled on. Fast forward 7 years and he's over 120kg, he keeps saying he'll get back into training (been doing that for nigh on 6 years now) and get back to the top but he never will.

It's easier to not gain the weight in the first place than it would be to lose it. I hate when people say they used to be fit, it's really not that difficult to maintain it if you have a modicum of self-discipline.

Adi Dassler

Thommo.

I have done this more times than i care to remember. Mainly due to playing football on rubbish Edinburgh council pitches. My ankles are now so bad that they 'go' regularly and there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to prevent it. About a month ago, the morning after playing at the Pitz, i could barely walk without getting unbareable sharp pains in my right ankle. I suspect it's one of those things where once your ligaments are goosed then there is nothing you can do. It's a major pain in the arse because it means i go through stages of getting myself fit and then pop, another 2 month lay off.

Re the gym. Unless you are an athlete and are conditioning one way or the other it's a poseurs game. I have been to most of them in an attempt to get into it and they are mostly full of arseholes. Full of the type of guys who use fake tan and spend a fortune on moisturiser. If you want to get fit and lead an active lifestyle fair enough but there are other ways to go about it. The gym is just a kid on for people who want to look at themselves using free weights in the mirror and a get a deek at birds arses on the treadmill. I went up to PureGym with my mate who is an instructor at David Lloyd and he reckoned 75% of the people in the place where using the machines/equipment wrongly. It's counter productive.

tommythejambo

Thommo.

I have done this more times than i care to remember. Mainly due to playing football on rubbish Edinburgh council pitches. My ankles are now so bad that they 'go' regularly and there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to prevent it. About a month ago, the morning after playing at the Pitz, i could barely walk without getting unbareable sharp pains in my right ankle. I suspect it's one of those things where once your ligaments are goosed then there is nothing you can do. It's a major pain in the arse because it means i go through stages of getting myself fit and then pop, another 2 month lay off.

Re the gym. Unless you are an athlete and are conditioning one way or the other it's a poseurs game. I have been to most of them in an attempt to get into it and they are mostly full of arseholes. Full of the type of guys who use fake tan and spend a fortune on moisturiser. If you want to get fit and lead an active lifestyle fair enough but there are other ways to go about it. The gym is just a kid on for people who want to look at themselves using free weights in the mirror and a get a deek at birds arses on the treadmill. I went up to PureGym with my mate who is an instructor at David Lloyd and he reckoned 75% of the people in the place where using the machines/equipment wrongly. It's counter productive.

Bit in bold is spot on.

I usually go in and do a bit all over body weights, or circuit training to build and an overall fitness base.

Most of the people in the gym just go to work on their shoulders, arms and chest, and they'll be there for about 3 hours.

rossthejambo

Thommo.

I can back up what's been said about the ankles.

I did my ankle in when I was about 10 (on a trampoline of all things) and it's never been the same since. Even walking to and from my work aggravates it sometimes.

If you're lucky Thommo it will only be every so often but sometimes it can hurt like **** every time you do exercise. This is obviously assuming it's a similar injury to mine of course.

I do it to feel better. More so recently as I hate wasting my Sundays with a hangover.

Gym bores me to tears though. Prefer to do stuff I enjoy. Doingt not too badly this week:

Monday: Long walk along beach with dog, Badminton

Tuesday: Badminton

Wednesday: Football

Thursday: Badminton

Friday: Jog/Run

Saturday: Ok, I'll be going out!

Sunday: Football

Gerd Muller

I'm a postman!. walking for 4 hours every day. Only been doing it the last 2 weeks. Already lost 6 pounds. I hate the gym with a passion. I cycle twice a week on my days off and the post is my exercise. Played 5's up to the start of the school holidays cos we play at the school, its shut over the holidays. that will be starting soon./

ring-of-fire

here!

I'm doing that too! Although they haven't sent me an email for my sponsorship :angry: !

Tommy Wiseau

Thommo.

I can back up what's been said about the ankles.

I did my ankle in when I was about 10 (on a trampoline of all things) and it's never been the same since. Even walking to and from my work aggravates it sometimes.

If you're lucky Thommo it will only be every so often but sometimes it can hurt like **** every time you do exercise. This is obviously assuming it's a similar injury to mine of course.

Hehe, cheers for the mind easing posts chaps. :laugh:

Think you're definitely both right though, although my injury doesn't sound quite as bad as either of yours fortunately (sharp pains up the ankles the morning after - ooft, sair yin :blink: ). I've been out for a couple of runs this week and played football, tweaked it on Monday at footie but it was fine on the runs, so I think it's healing a bit. That said, I went over it a few years ago really badly and it's been quite prone to these types of injuries ever since. Got the same in my left wrist from an old work injury as well, and basically can't do normal press ups anymore. :(

Got to do what you can while you're fit, there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to do any exercise through injury.

Been eating really well overall during the past couple of weeks or so, but I think I'm going to need to get on the whey protein, because I've cut my meat content right down and it's noticeable when I'm exercising - instantly knackered. Anyone know any good/cheap ones?

Malcolm Tucker

I'm only 20 and I smoke and drink far too often (lets get this straight though, I'm not a 40-a-day, pub every lunchtime kinda guy). I smoke maybe 5-10 a day, and drink the odd pint maybe 3 or 4 days a week (after work mainly), and go on the lash properly like once maybe twice a week.

I play in the same team as Mr. Teenwolf, and as he is correct to keep himself fit, my position is a lot more taxing than his. :thumbsup:

I've joined the gym this week, not because I like the gym 'atmosphere' (as someone said earlier on, they're for posers and arseholes mainly), but just to really push myself into taking that first stride. If I'm paying for it, I'll get my money's worth!

My weight isn't a massive issue, seeing as I'm built like a bunch of toothpicks being held together by feathers, but my general fitness is a pretty big concern.

Hopefully all of the above will give me the drive and will-power to do it...

Tommy Wiseau

I reckon we should get a big sticky thread for all of our fitness motivational needs. What say you, KB?

Carl Weathers

My motivation: "The most satisfying feel you can get in the gym is the "pump". It's as satisfying to me as "cumming" is, y'know? As having sex with a woman and cumming. So can you believe how much I am in heaven? I'm like getting the feeling of cumming in the gym, getting the feeling of cumming at home, and cumming backstage when I pump up and when I pose out in front of 5000 viewers, I get the same feeling, so I'm cumming day and night! I mean it's terrific...right?"

Snake Plissken

My motivation: "The most satisfying feel you can get in the gym is the "pump". It's as satisfying to me as "cumming" is, y'know? As having sex with a woman and cumming. So can you believe how much I am in heaven? I'm like getting the feeling of cumming in the gym, getting the feeling of cumming at home, and cumming backstage when I pump up and when I pose out in front of 5000 viewers, I get the same feeling, so I'm cumming day and night! I mean it's terrific...right?"

15-arnold-schwarzenegger-triceps-seat.jpg

Arnold approves of this post.

Carl Weathers

15-arnold-schwarzenegger-triceps-seat.jpg

Arnold approves of this post.

?For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.?

?We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to conquer.?

?Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.?

Arnold - Legend.

Snake Plissken

?For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.?

?We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to conquer.?

?Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.?

Arnold - Legend.

20080826092344.jpg

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun."

"I knew I was a winner back in the late sixties. I knew I was destined for great things. People will say that kind of thinking is totally immodest. I agree. Modesty is not a word that applies to me in any way - I hope it never will."

"My friend James Cameron and I made three films together - True Lies, The Terminator and Terminator 2. Of course, that was during his early, low-budget, art-house period."

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."

LAD.

tommythejambo

20080826092344.jpg

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun."

"I knew I was a winner back in the late sixties. I knew I was destined for great things. People will say that kind of thinking is totally immodest. I agree. Modesty is not a word that applies to me in any way - I hope it never will."

"My friend James Cameron and I made three films together - True Lies, The Terminator and Terminator 2. Of course, that was during his early, low-budget, art-house period."

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."

LAD.

Can't be real? Hilarious if true.

I used to play rugby (right wing) and sprinter untill I was in S2.

I developed a problem with my right knee. Not sure what I did to it, but I've had ligament problems since then. I gave up sprinting then, I was slower than two of the other guys over 100m and that knocked my confidence, then I just lost interest. Stopped rugby soon after too, considered going back a few times, never did though. Other than the odd game of 5s, I've done nothing during the rest of my teens.

I'm 19 this month, and I need to get in shape.

Started running, but my right knee is giving me a bit of trouble, especially running downhill. Anyone know how long a walk you'd need to take to equil an hour of jogging?

My dad's quite into his weight training, and he's talking to me about high intensity training. So that's something else I'll maybe start doing.

tommythejambo
<BR>I used to play rugby (right wing) and sprinter untill I was in S2.<BR><BR>I developed a problem with my right knee. Not sure what I did to it, but I've had ligament problems since then. I gave up sprinting then, I was slower than two of the other guys over 100m and that knocked my confidence, then I just lost interest. Stopped rugby soon after too, considered going back a few times, never did though. Other than the odd game of 5s, I've done nothing during the rest of my teens.<BR><BR>I'm 19 this month, and I need to get in shape.<BR><BR>Started running, but my right knee is giving me a bit of trouble, especially running downhill. <STRONG>Anyone know how long a walk you'd need to take to equil an hour of jogging?</STRONG><BR><BR>My dad's quite into his weight training, and he's talking to me about high intensity training. So that's something else I'll maybe start doing.<BR>

Depends how fast you are talking about walking/running. But you're probably talking 2/3 hours atleast, that's only energy-burned wise, you won't really get the CV benefit. Better than jogging is interval sprint training though, better CV-wise and burns more fat.

But It's hard to say without knowing more about your injury though. Try running on grass/sand, that helped me when my knee was ****ed.

Also with the weight training, don't dive into anything if you haven't been doing any exercise for years, but if your dad's into it, I'm sure he'd keep you right.

If all else fails hop in the pool and do a few lengths, best overall body exercise by a mile.

Depends how fast you are talking about walking/running. But you're probably talking 2/3 hours atleast, that's only energy-burned wise, you won't really get the CV benefit. Better than jogging is interval sprint training though, better CV-wise and burns more fat.

But It's hard to say without knowing more about your injury though. Try running on grass/sand, that helped me when my knee was ****ed.

Also with the weight training, don't dive into anything if you haven't been doing any exercise for years, but if your dad's into it, I'm sure he'd keep you right.

If all else fails hop in the pool and do a few lengths, best overall body exercise by a mile.

I'm not too clued up on body science. I'm not sure if it's maybe genetic, as my dad has had knee problems all his life. I've strained my knee ligaments so many times now, if I turn on the spot with my foot planted, or if my running technique isn't what it used to be, I just feel my knee go. It's a really strange sensation, it goes numb and I can't feel below my knee joint for a second. Feels tight for a bit, and I run it off. Been to the doctor, he says there's nothing wrong with it.

I used to do some weights when I was younger. Needed the upper body strength to take a hit, I'm quite broad-shouldered and I know my limits.

I understand I've really got to start again, and not just pick up where I was.

Tommy Wiseau

Can't be real? Hilarious if true.

Allegedly, Arnie used to not be averse to a bit of extra-marital jiggery-pokery, be it groping the breasts of women who weren't his wife in public, or worse.

An article in Premiere magazine quoted an anonymous source who walked in to Arnie's trailer during filming for 1996 masterpiece Eraser, only to find the great man performing a sexual act on a woman.

And I quote: "When we opened the door to his trailer, Arnold was giving oral sex to a woman. He looked up and, with that accent, said very slowly, 'Eating is not cheating.'"

:rofl:

Carl Weathers

Allegedly, Arnie used to not be averse to a bit of extra-marital jiggery-pokery, be it groping the breasts of women who weren't his wife in public, or worse.

An article in Premiere magazine quoted an anonymous source who walked in to Arnie's trailer during filming for 1996 masterpiece Eraser, only to find the great man performing a sexual act on a woman.

And I quote: "When we opened the door to his trailer, Arnold was giving oral sex to a woman. He looked up and, with that accent, said very slowly, 'Eating is not cheating.'"

:rofl:

celebrity-pictures-arnold-schwarzenegger-administrative-positions.jpg

And I quote: "When we opened the door to his trailer, Arnold was giving oral sex to a woman. He looked up and, with that accent, said very slowly, 'Eating is not cheating.'" :rofl:

:teehee::teehee::teehee::thumbsup:

Just went for a wee half hour run tonight to see how the knee is. First bit of exercise I've done in about a month and it was rough! Can still feel a slight bit of pain in the knee, is it wise to keep running? I'm taking 3 painkillers a day for a month (Docs orders) so I'm a bit apprehensive about knackering it completely. It just feels as if it's not strong enough at the moment though, maybe a bit more running will do the trick.

Archived