Earl Grey Street Pub In 70S

systemx

HELP. I can remember two pubs in Earl Grey St in the 70s but for the life off me cant remember their names.In particular the spit and sawdust one run by Willie Ross? C,mon guys

Did Willie Ross no run the Oxford Bar in Young St, a bit away from Earl Grey St .

Still get a cracking piont of IPA in the Ox.

Did Willie Ross no run the Oxford Bar in Young St, a bit away from Earl Grey St .

Still get a cracking piont of IPA in the Ox.

He did indeed but still looking for name of smelly pub on Earl Grey.thanks for reply tho

The Burnt post, and The Earl Grey/Big Johns Hideaway

Were they in Earl Grey Street. I thought that was beside the old post building at west port..

Were they in Earl Grey Street. I thought that was beside the old post building at west port..

Burnt Post was on Lothian Road wasn't it? Left hand side on your way up to Tollcross near Bread Street?

grumpyjambo

Burnt Post was on Lothian Road wasn't it? Left hand side on your way up to Tollcross near Bread Street?

The Burnt Post was where SA Paterson hairdressers in now.

It had that wierd tall light / lamp thing in the corner. It was only after a few visits I realised it was supposed to be a.... Burnt Post. D'oh!

grumpyjambo

It had that wierd tall light / lamp thing in the corner. It was only after a few visits I realised it was supposed to be a.... Burnt Post. D'oh!

Can't remember that, too busy on the beer and the pull. whistling.gif

jambo east anglia

Was the other one called the Copper Kettle?

Stuart Lyon

Minsky's was in Earl Grey Street. Anderson's is in Lothian Road just up from the Uluru (Burnt Post)

Ginger God Is Back

Minsky's was in Earl Grey Street. Anderson's is in Lothian Road just up from the Uluru (Burnt Post)

My Mum and Stepdad owned Andersons Bar from 1977 to 1980. I worked there for a wee while but cant remember it as being minging!!

Granted my parents got rid of it after someone got glassed downstairs and it started to become too much bother. Changed the name to The Copper Top after that..I always thought the Burnt Post was worse..but hey we are talking about 33 years ago...sometimes I cant remember what happened yesterday..oh yeah...I remember..we didnt sign Paul Hartley.....

Graham

Stuart Lyon

GGiB = Anderson's was a very good pub for a long time. I worked in Lothian House across the road in 1966 and have good memories of drinking there. The Burn Post was then called the Motor Bar and they did a great pie which we used to enjoy on a Friday (pay day) also the Hopteoun Bar at the side of the cinema (can't recall what is named now) was quite good as was the Clachan diagonally opposite Iceland in Fountainbridge. The latter pub was usually filled with bus drivers and conductors in these days as there was a bus depot nearby. The Market Bar was at the corner of Ponton Street and Fountainbridge. It changed to Major Brown's and is now an Italian Restaurant.

The Treasurer

Spent many an enjoyable evening in the downstairs "lounge" in Andersons.

Occasionally we would go on "holiday" to the USA (Up Stairs at Andersons) biggrin.gif

PsychocAndy

GGiB = Anderson's was a very good pub for a long time. I worked in Lothian House across the road in 1966 and have good memories of drinking there. The Burn Post was then called the Motor Bar and they did a great pie which we used to enjoy on a Friday (pay day) also the Hopteoun Bar at the side of the cinema (can't recall what is named now) was quite good as was the Clachan diagonally opposite Iceland in Fountainbridge. The latter pub was usually filled with bus drivers and conductors in these days as there was a bus depot nearby. The Market Bar was at the corner of Ponton Street and Fountainbridge. It changed to Major Brown's and is now an Italian Restaurant.

Ah the clachan where I met, the far too good for the likes of me, Mrs PsychocAndy, I may well yet burn it down.

I better add she didn't drink in there. I was with 2 mates that are her cousins and she walked past and they went out and got her in.

Fort Vallance

My Mum and Stepdad owned Andersons Bar from 1977 to 1980. I worked there for a wee while but cant remember it as being minging!!

Granted my parents got rid of it after someone got glassed downstairs and it started to become too much bother. Changed the name to The Copper Top after that..I always thought the Burnt Post was worse..but hey we are talking about 33 years ago...sometimes I cant remember what happened yesterday..oh yeah...I remember..we didnt sign Paul Hartley.....

Graham

Andersons was a regular stop off point on the way to Clouds circa 72/73/74. Bar staff at that time would give the under agers a nod if the polis were on their way. Good pub in those days. And downstairs was so dark you never pulled an ugly bird.

kawasakijambo

Did you work in the Philatelic Bureau around 1980 before it moved to Dundas Street?

Graham

Andersons was like my second home from 1978 to 1981 used to go there or the Lord Darnley before making our way to the Penthouse (late night opening).

Andersons used to be a right Oxgangs boozer and i was actually in on the saturday afternoon the glassing incident happened.

Still remember Andersons with good times and still pop in there now and then it still hasn,t changed much ,and still has some of the same faces it had 30 years ago.

Just a pity it still isn,t 99p for 2 pints of lager and a pint of export (you had to go upstairs for the ekky)

Pub Names now this is a good thread :thumbsup:

Andersons is in Lothian Road, former names Finn Mac Cools, Earl of Lothian, Big Johns Hideaway, Earl Grey, Copper Top and Andersons (first time round).

Burnt Post is in Lothian Road, now called Mr Modos, and was called Uluru, Burnt Post and The Motor Bar

Only pub on Earl Grey Street was Minskys as mentioned and is now a Dental Practice - former names were Manhattan, Mikes Bar, Red, and Rummers

Hope these help

Stuart Lyon

Dennis Raeder - To be frank I wasn't unhinged enough to work in the Philatelic Bureau! I worked in what was then the PO Regional Motor Transport Office on the top floor next to the canteen. I only worked there for just over a year and then transferred to PO Telecoms when the then government split the old PO. I worked in Canning st thereafter for many years so was still able to frequent my old haunts and discover some new ones.

Ginga - do you have lots of information about Edinburgh pubs and there former names?

Andersons is in Lothian Road, former names Finn Mac Cools, Earl of Lothian, Big Johns Hideaway, Earl Grey, Copper Top and Andersons (first time round).

Burnt Post is in Lothian Road, now called Mr Modos, and was called Uluru, Burnt Post and The Motor Bar

Only pub on Earl Grey Street was Minskys as mentioned and is now a Dental Practice - former names were Manhattan, Mikes Bar, Red, and Rummers

Hope these help

You're my man.

I still use an Edinburgh Pub Guide (circa 1974) to make my way around the city's haunts (how sad am I), although very few hostelries still carry their 70s names. I particularly enjoyed the Cambridge Bar (or what it was called before that) being labelled "The Lager Drinker's Retreat" in deference to Willie Ross's preferences at the Oxford Bar (namely: no women, no lager, no half-pints and no bl**dy English). The OB also closed during the Festival as Willie "didnae want nae foreigners in ma bar" . I served my apprenticeship in George St and the OB was the nearest when you went out the back door into Young St Lane.

Ian Rankin has a lot to answer for.

BTW, my ex used to work behind the bar at Anderson's in the mid-80s which is where I drowned my sorrows after the 1986 cup final disaster.

Hope these help

I'm sure that pub was also known as "Grey's" for a short while c. 1985?

PsychocAndy

Just going to say that myself.

Did have Grey's but forgot to mention it - I have an Edinburgh Pub Guide database with 870 locations for pubs that have been in Edinburgh. The are currently 493 pubs shown as being open at the moment :thumbsup:

PubsDatabase.jpg

Stuart Lyon

Is the Palace Bar at the foot of the Royal Mile on your list? It is no longer there but there was a wee debate in my local about it last Friday.

Spent many an enjoyable evening in the downstairs "lounge" in Andersons.

Occasionally we would go on "holiday" to the USA (Up Stairs at Andersons) biggrin.gif

Yep - spent many a Saturday night in the 'lounge' in the 80's.

• 5 years later...

No it's not.

The Burnt Post is now called Uluru I think.

One side of Earl Grey street was demolished buildigs/empty ground for most of the 80s.  Ithink it may have been a car showroom/garage in the 70s, not sure, but is the Bank of Scotland now.   Across  the road was a few shops, greengrocers and the large Spook Erection market of the late70s/early 80s.  There was one pub, next to the Halifax on the corner.  It operated under a few names.   A really uncomfortable pub where you could get a late drink till 2am. Real saloon type doors, for the clientelle.   Big Johns across the road was the place to see the Boxing or Football on a Saturday night(pre..sky)

luckyBatistuta

Did have Grey's but forgot to mention it - I have an Edinburgh Pub Guide database with 870 locations for pubs that have been in Edinburgh. The are currently 493 pubs shown as being open at the moment :thumbsup:PubsDatabase.jpg

Greys was Reds either before or after too, can't remember which way round.

Anderson?s has had the following names over the years

The Earl of Lothian

Earl Grey

Big John?s Hideaway

Grey?s (1980s)

Finn Mac Cools 1999 to 2006

Anderson?s /The Copper Top 1970s

The Earl of Lothian

Earl Grey

Big John?s Hideaway

Grey?s (1980s)

And is now Moriarty's.

The Earl of Lothian

Earl Grey

Big John?s Hideaway

Grey?s (1980s)

went out with one of the barmaids ehen it was Big Johns

My favourite pubs in that general area were the Burke and Hare and Lord Darnleys....always had differing afternoon attractions on for the discerning customer....the Burke and Hare's go-gos and Lord Darnleys bands.

Although I do recall the time the Blue Angels turned up looking for someone or something in Lord Darnleys and the whole pub descended into mayhem....that was not an afternoon for the faintheated!!

John Brough that takes me back....never much rated him as a keeper but he used to go out with my neighbour's very attractive daughter for a bit and seemed like a nice enough guy

I regularly went late to the lord darnleys, on a friday/saturday, after snooker at the church in lauriston street.  Had a disco mid 80s and met all types...........

Archived