Whats Your Biggest Regrets?

RoyCropper

As title says.

Mine would be not taking a job i was offered in Dubai a few years ago. Wish i went, although wouldnt have met the current missus so every cloud i guess.

And getting married to my ex, biggest mistake i ever made, and an expensive one at that.

Whats yours?

Commander Harris

regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention. ?

Radioactive Mince

I could've married an American girl a few years ago, but shat out. In fact, this can't be classed as a regret due to subsequent marriage and two beautiful kids, but maybe biggest 'what if?'. Only really think of this when the weather's totally pish here in Scotland and wonder how the Pacific Coast is doing.

Biggest actual regret: Missing the '06 Cup Final due to being lifted in Kings Park on a Glasgow breach. ****ing downer. Can I just say, though, that I was innocent. :unsure:

Mince

jamboinglasgow

Mine would of been missing the cup semi and cup final in 06 as both times I thought I had to go on rowing things, the semi one was a training camp, but on the minibus to the place north of Glasgow, found out one of the guys in the squad who was a Hibs fan had gone to the semi and was arriving the next day. The final was a important race in Glasgow, thinking I had the chance of getting picked I didn't think of getting my parents to get a spare ticket, then with two days to go found out I had missed out on the boat. Had a great time, but just wish I had been two miles down the road at Hampden park :(

And also missing the 1998 cup final, as my parents had booked me and my brothers into a scout camp on that very weekend (they booked it in February) of course they were at the cup final.

I'll leave Cher to sum up my feelings on the whole matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEszTzdUMcY

Mine would of been missing the cup semi and cup final in 06 as both times I thought I had to go on rowing things, the semi one was a training camp, but on the minibus to the place north of Glasgow, found out one of the guys in the squad who was a Hibs fan had gone to the semi and was arriving the next day. The final was a important race in Glasgow, thinking I had the chance of getting picked I didn't think of getting my parents to get a spare ticket, then with two days to go found out I had missed out on the boat. Had a great time, but just wish I had been two miles down the road at Hampden park :(

And also missing the 1998 cup final, as my parents had booked me and my brothers into a scout camp on that very weekend (they booked it in February) of course they were at the cup final.

I'll leave Cher to sum up my feelings on the whole matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEszTzdUMcY

Jesus christ, you missed both our cup wins? Sod folk banging on about women theyve lost, thats not even remotely as bad as missing the cup games!

Not having the foresight or basic intelligence to quit the trade I was in back in 1983 when the shipyards went tits up. Took me until 20 years later that there are better things to life other than humping pipes up and down a construction site. Now sit on my arse in front of a pc all day, not the greatest job in the world but infinitely better than before.

Radioactive Mince

Jesus christ, you missed both our cup wins? Sod folk banging on about women theyve lost, thats not even remotely as bad as missing the cup games!

Agreed. For me it wasn't about the woman, more the lifestyle...

I was at the 5-1 capitulation in 1996. I didn't go in '98 due to cashflow (I was 15 and naec*** wanted to pay for it :() and obviously what happened in '06, er, happened.

Really hope I don't die without seeing a trophy win in person - too dramatic?

Mince

jamboinglasgow

yup, I have been to many Hearts matches in my lifetime, yet the year I went to uni was 05/06 saw only saw a small handful of games that year, how I wish I could of also been at Tynecastle v Aberdeen that season. The sad thing is, there will be some glory hunters who have only been at both cup wins and thats the only Hearts games they have been to. I feel so alone in these threads about the cup finals where people say about what a magical day it was that day. The second final was my fault but the first was not.

Hearts please win another cup soon, I have to see it at least once in my lifetime.

Bottling the opportunity to spend my third year of university in the southern USA. However, I now live here, so it's no something I dwell on too much...

Ray Winstone

I got asked this question in my interview for the postgrad I am doing.......I reakon being 22 and still a student I am too young to have made any decisions that can't be put right.

I don't think I have done anything I regret.....not yet anyway.

Radioactive Mince

.Pumping a fat bird on my mates toilet floor.

Yaaaas!

I've been waiting up all night for one of those.

Radioactive Mince agrees. :Agree:

Mince

No regrets at all, had an excellent well fulfilled life. As others say though there are times you look at roads you may have gone down, in my case worked harder at school, when I finished my time in the army in UK, Australia had an offer that you could join the army at the rank yo finished in British army, all very interesting and nice to contemplate, but difficult to even consider changes to a life that is without regret.

Regrets are pointless.

If you make a bad decision, learn from it and move on.

PsychocAndy

Was at the 96 final when my son was 8 days old but missed the 2 winning finals. 98 because my 5 year old girl and 2 year old boy needed the money more. 06 made the semi final with the wee fella but I could only get 1 ticket for the final and couldn't leave him at home watching it on the telly.

I'm not sure I regret it due to circumstances, but it's a bugger after following Hearts all over in my youth. Montrose, Forfar, Stenhousemuir and lots of other shitty places then the gravy comes and I get none.

Going to see West Ham v Villa in 1980 rather than The Clash. Game was awful and, though I saw them twice I never got to see the "classic" line up.

Pete Seeger

Starting smoking or

Spending 15 grand on a house that doesn't have my name on it. <_<

.Pumping a fat bird on my mates toilet floor.

Don't regret that.

Never regret that.

Good lad. :thumbsup:

I've got a few but I'm really the same as roflcopter. Too young to have made any real decisions.

I kind of wish I had stuck in at school a bit more but I'm fixing that (the long way) and will end up with a decent job one day.

You know what I don't regret? Getting the **** out of Inverness when I did. I love it up there but I couldn't live up there again.

Serj Tankian

Turned down a job then got told I would be down at the south of France for six weeks for my first job with them.

RoussetsShorts

Not joining the RAF when I left school. My parents were dead against it and said they would not support me so I went to Uni and since then I've just went from crap job to crap job. If i'd gone into the RAF i'd be out a decade later skilled to the max and would no doubt have seen a lot of the world. Hindsights easy though isn't it!

i've always regretted asking my then girlfriend to buy me a penguin for my birthday. to be fair to her she gave me what i asked for, but i really don't think i suit the name "Pingu" which is what i was subsequently called at work for months on end

ArcticJambo

From a football supporting perspective ... missing the '98 final. Was in Canada by then - thought about the trip back for the final but '96 killed me, and the thought of it happening again, nahh ... well, hey you win some you ...

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever be able to REALLY enjoy any future CUP wins, or even a league win, as I put so much emotionally into the near fifteen years I followed Hearts up to '96 (when I emigrated).

Its better to regret something you have done than something you've not done. :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

Was at the 96 final when my son was 8 days old but missed the 2 winning finals. 98 because my 5 year old girl and 2 year old boy needed the money more. 06 made the semi final with the wee fella but I could only get 1 ticket for the final and couldn't leave him at home watching it on the telly.

I'm not sure I regret it due to circumstances, but it's a bugger after following Hearts all over in my youth. Montrose, Forfar, Stenhousemuir and lots of other shitty places then the gravy comes and I get none.

Your last bit rings true so much. I know I might be called not a real fan for missing the cup final but to me it is the reward for being a Hearts fan, I have often faced the hardship and the suffering, sometimes joy but not the ultimate joy of seeing my team lift the cup in person, to celebrate with thousands of fellow fans, to watch as the team come past lifting the trophy aloft. To me thats why I dont like glory hunters at cup finals, they are there to get all the reward with none of the downsides (unless obviously they lose badly.) Next time there is a final I will let nothing stand in my way to be there.

Going to see West Ham v Villa in 1980 rather than The Clash. Game was awful and, though I saw them twice I never got to see the "classic" line up.

Funny, my old boy god rest his soul (excuse the soon to be obvious pun) missed Otis Redding's only (IIRC) Edinburgh show due to going to Hearts away.

Auld Reekin'
:note2:" Oui... Je regrette tout..." :note2:

Walter Kidd

What's the points of regrets? As my old fella said to me as he was dying of cancer "Hold on to the future son, as the past has left you behind."

Although I do regret not turning up to meet a bird in Dundee after a game up there as I was nailed on for a shag and had been trying to nip her for months. Never got the chance again with her.

PsychocAndy

Your last bit rings true so much. I know I might be called not a real fan for missing the cup final but to me it is the reward for being a Hearts fan, I have often faced the hardship and the suffering, sometimes joy but not the ultimate joy of seeing my team lift the cup in person, to celebrate with thousands of fellow fans, to watch as the team come past lifting the trophy aloft. To me thats why I dont like glory hunters at cup finals, they are there to get all the reward with none of the downsides (unless obviously they lose badly.) Next time there is a final I will let nothing stand in my way to be there.

Too true, but again, only if I can get 2 tickets.

Another regret of mine was when my Grandad was very ill and it was a matter of days till his death. I had a big job interview coming up and had to leave Edinburgh to travel to Manchester for it for a day. I told all my family i wasnt going, cause Grandad was getting worse and worse but my Grandma told him and he pulled me in close to him and whispered "Go for it son, you have my blessing." I decided to go for it as it was his request and fully expected to see him the next day when i returned as things werent quite critical yet. Half way down the round I recieved a call from my mum to say Grandad had a bad turn during the night and had died. I turned round at that point and drove straight home.

I felt so guilty and still feel awful about going, never got a real chance to say goodbye. Family always come first, no matter what. Maybe i was young and stupid but i still dont know why i went. :angry::(

I guess his legacy lives on, he was the one who took me to see Hearts and maybe guilt is part of the reason i cant give up on Hearts. Ever.

Creepy Lurker

I don't think that I have any serious regrets in life (at 23, I'm maybe just a bit too young...), but there is maybe one thing that I'd change, looking back.

I went to uni at 18, basically just spent my whole time getting drunk and not going to lectures. Students all say that they do that, but most of them are lying. I actually did it, failed two of my three classes for low attendance, couldn't afford to resit my first year and had to go and spend the next three years working in an office. I also did a few daft things over that period which, looking back, were...well, daft, basically. No harm done in the end, but there easily could've been. I started back at uni last year aged 22 and am really enjoying it this time round.

If I could go back in time and change one thing, I'd maybe make myself screw the nut when I was 18. If I'd done that, I'd have graduated by now and could well be doing postgrad (which, although it's a long time way ahead, is what I'm thinking of doing). It's a bit pointless saying these things, though, because I just wasn't that kind of person then: I obviously had a bit of growing up to do and some things to get out of my system. If I hadn't done all of those things, I wouldn't be the person I am now. And you can take my word for it when I say that I'm a ******* BRILLIANT HUMAN BEING.

RoussetsShorts

Although I do regret not turning up to meet a bird in Dundee after a game up there as I was nailed on for a shag and had been trying to nip her for months. Never got the chance again with her.

Ditto for me the bird who lived in London, was minted and invited me down, why did i not go!!!

My biggest regret is not having a plan B.

Everything I did at school was focused on joining the RAF, learning to fly commercial aircraft or getting into Air Traffic Control College as soon as I left secondary. But then I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 17, meaning I'd never pass a JAA Class 1 medical, so all those careers I planned for were out. I dealt with it in a mature way - I took the first job I could, which happened to be at Scot Prov and embarked on a 6 year bender and alot of travelling on a selection of credit cards! I'm now 31, have progressed to the dizzy heights of Senior Claim Assessor in financial services. It's a good job, but it's not something I see as a career. But I'm stuck with it for another 2 years until I have paid of the debt of my early 20s excess. Then maybe I'll find the plan B I should have made when I was 18...

If I could go back in time and change one thing, I'd maybe make myself screw the nut when I was 18. If I'd done that, I'd have graduated by now and could well be doing postgrad (which, although it's a long time way ahead, is what I'm thinking of doing). It's a bit pointless saying these things, though, because I just wasn't that kind of person then: I obviously had a bit of growing up to do and some things to get out of my system. If I hadn't done all of those things, I wouldn't be the person I am now. And you can take my word for it when I say that I'm a ******* BRILLIANT HUMAN BEING.

^^^ This! Very well worded and exactly how I see myself and what I tried and failed to convey so well.

Snake Plissken

Probably not having a career plan at all.

I wandered around Scotland after my degree (History)and worked a series of crap jobs for low pay. I'm working a basic office job and earning a pittance for doing the work of two people (when I'm not on Kickback at least :) ) and getting talked down to by people I'm smarter than.

When I was younger I wanted to go into Sports Journalism, I was accepted into Napier to study journalism. I went down for an open day and met the head of the department who came across as a total cretin and he sneered at sports journalism. I decided not to go and instead pursued a History degree at Stirling.

I suppose I should have just stuck it out, my early twenties have largely been wasted as I bombed out of uni with a BA rather than doing my dissertation. I feel a bit trapped in my current job, no money to fund courses/training for something new and little experience or desire to move upwards in my present field.

Its better to regret something you have done than something you've not done. :thumbsup:

^^ this

I bottled out of asking my best mate (female before you start) out when the slim chance I had appeared. Wasted too much time on the 'what if it goes wrong' stage of thinking rather than manning up and getting it pumped. Still best mates now, but she's geting hotter and hotter and is now loved up with someone else.

EDIT **just realised my current mrs better not see this...

^^ this

I bottled out of asking my best mate (female before you start) out when the slim chance I had appeared. Wasted too much time on the 'what if it goes wrong' stage of thinking rather than manning up and getting it pumped. Still best mates now, but she's geting hotter and hotter and is now loved up with someone else.

?

so if you ever get married, you would quite like a quick rough and tumble with the best "man"? :unsure:

Not having the foresight or basic intelligence to quit the trade I was in back in 1983 when the shipyards went tits up. Took me until 20 years later that there are better things to life other than humping pipes up and down a construction site. Now sit on my arse in front of a pc all day, not the greatest job in the world but infinitely better than before.

Ive still to see you burstin your @rse on a sight :lol:

On your arse all day in front of a pc, but 40k a year less in the bank :thumbsup:

I P Knightley

^^ this

Never ever become "best mates" with a hot burd.

I work on a "Sliding Doors" principle where I believe that if I'd done one thing slightly differently all those years ago, I wouldn't be in the position I'm now in and, since I'm happy with the lot I've got, I can't really complain about missing out on a shag or two when I had the chance as a teenager.

tommythejambo

I'm quite happy in the fatc I have no major regrets yet, but as someone said, at 20, I'm probably too young to have anything major.

Probably the only one is not taking the chance to go travelling when I left school, instead went straight into Uni. But I'm sure there will be time for that before I'm too old.

?

so if you ever get married, you would quite like a quick rough and tumble with the best "man"? :unsure:

whit? How did you go from hot best female mate to scuttling a best man?

Never ever become "best mates" with a hot burd.

I work on a "Sliding Doors" principle where I believe that if I'd done one thing slightly differently all those years ago, I wouldn't be in the position I'm now in and, since I'm happy with the lot I've got, I can't really complain about missing out on a shag or two when I had the chance as a teenager.

tell me about it matey - same boat now - she lives in london so I get free board whenever I go down on the piss, and she knows loads of even hotter foreign birds :thumbsup:

i wish i'd gone for that interview with M.I.6. Got offerd an interview at uni but was too scared to take it. Even if i hadnt got it or just turned it down i still should've went and found out

heartgarfunkel

Never been with two burdz at the same time. 40 now so struggling. Life's a bitch.

Archived