The Concorde

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What an incredible piece of engineering the Concorde was. London to New York in 3 1/2 hours. :o Twice the speed of sound. :o

Anyone ever fly it? What was it like?

Concorde8.jpg

Im watching the programme about Concorde just now; Stunning Aircraft it was.

The Real Maroonblood

What an incredible piece of engineering the Concorde was. London to New York in 3 1/2 hours. :o Twice the speed of sound. :o

Concorde8.jpg

The resident Walter Mitty will soon post to say he flew concorde.

:whistling:

I'm also watching channel 4. The Concorde has always amazed me, simply incredible to think it was built in 1976 and could do 1350Mph, It baffles me!!

The Real Maroonblood

I'm also watching channel 4. The Concorde has always amazed me, simply incredible to think it was built in 1976 and could do 1350Mph, It baffles me!!

One newspaper reported that there are plans to try and bring it back.

It is a fantastic piece of aviation engineering.

Sadly it was built in an age when things were created and done for the beauty and challenge of doing them. Cost effectiveness never came into it. Saw Concorde once but never flew in it. Beautiful.

Jam Tarts 1874

Been on the one out at East Fortune. It is stunning, but surprisingly small.

I can't believe its been decomissioned for good. In an age where time is money, you'd think there would be a market for it.

I know it was a high profile disaster, but they are rare. The investigation found the root cause and they implemented the fix so it cant happen again.

J.T.F.Robertson

Hopefully, only that he flew in it. :P

Prince Buaben

Sadly it was built in an age when things were created and done for the beauty and challenge of doing them. Cost effectiveness never came into it. Saw Concorde once but never flew in it. Beautiful.

Thats what puzzled me. Surly they could have developed a sucessor to cocorde that could go faster or maybe safer aswell.

Also i think that they are only going to bring it back for shows and the london 2012 olympics.

J.T.F.Robertson

I can't believe its been decomissioned for good. In an age where time is money, you'd think there would be a market for it.

I know it was a high profile disaster, but they are rare. The investigation found the root cause and they implemented the fix so it cant happen again.

It was a gas guzzler and polluter, of gargantuan proportion.

It was a gas guzzler and polluter, of gargantuan proportion.

Seeing as we are now recycling our glass and paper it should be ok to bring it back.

I P Knightley

It is one of the most stunning pieces of engineering I've ever had the delight to watch in action.

I've seen it in a few flypasts, sometimes flanked by the Red Arrows. Best of all was when I first moved down to London and was living in SW London, I was right under the flight path. If I got home in good time from work, I could sit in the lounge and wait for the rumble as it flew over, heading to the setting sun (or Heathrow was probably the more accurate destination). Unforgettable views of it flying higher than the sun (in perspective, you understand) with the orange sunset glowing from the underside.

My folks were luckier still to get a wee burl in it.

I've been on the ones they have at East Fortune and Duxford (a must for anyone with any interest in aviation) and I have to say, I think I'd find it a spot uncomfortable. David Frost's a wee guy so I can see the attraction for him but the larger framed person such as myself appreciates the larger dimensions of the 747, 767 or A380 seats.

Sheiky Baby

Was it not that they lost money every time it flew? Kinda like the Bugatti Veyron (it actually costs more money to develop the car than the actual price they sell it for)

J.T.F.Robertson

Seeing as we are now recycling our glass and paper it should be ok to bring it back.

Fair exchange, is no robbery.:thumbsup:

Jambo Hoggie

I take it today's the tenth year anniversary of the crash? I assume that's why the programme is on.

Hannibal Lecter

I take it today's the tenth year anniversary of the crash? I assume that's why the programme is on.

The crash was on 25/07/10. Didn't think it was nearly 10 years ago since it, time doesn't half pass by quickly...

Jambo Hoggie

The crash was on 25/07/10. Didn't think it was nearly 10 years ago since it, time doesn't half pass by quickly...

Oh aye. I remember coming in from work and it was on all the news channels. Doesn't seem that long ago.

PsychocAndy

I seem to remember it flew over Muirhouse once and we knew it was coming and went outside to see it. Or I might be wrong, I partied hard in my youth, but it seemed real.

Hannibal Lecter

Oh aye. I remember coming in from work and it was on all the news channels. Doesn't seem that long ago.

Just goes to show how quickly life passes by, just like 09/11, doesn't seem nearly 9 years ago either...

jamboinglasgow

Remember at the age of 11, my parents drag out to the golf course for an evening round of golf (never liked golf as much as the rest of my family.) My golf course is under the flight path to Edinburgh airport. It was a Sunny evening, going up the third hole when I notice in the distance an odd looking plane, hoping that it was that rarest of things a jumbo jet coming to Edinburgh, little did I suspect what it actually was. As it came close I realised it was concorde. Think I just stood there, jaw dropped seeing this beautiful aircraft with its distinctive noise pass very close to me. Fantastic moment, next day was the first opening of the Scottish parliment, went out the house to see Concorde in formation with the red arrows fly near my house. Also saw its last flight to Edinburgh. (On a sidenote, saw last year the Airbus A380 come to Edinburgh, will never forget the sight of the huge beast coming out of the clouds, a wondrous aircraft.)

As mentioned on another thread about this aircraft, me and Mrs Therapist flew on it twice. We were also on it once when it failed to get off the runway at JFK due to an afterburner fault. It was a tremendous experience. :thumbsup:

You should have put money on it. :thumbsup:

Concorde8.jpg

I remember seeing it coming in to land for the first time when I was really young and just being awestruck.

I got the same feeling years later standing on the roof of my apartment block in Los Angeles at 3am watching the space shuttle come in right overhead en route to Edwards Airforce base. Amazing sight.

The Real Maroonblood

You should have put money on it. :thumbsup:

I phoned the bookies but he wouldn't take the bet.

:lol::lol:

JamboInSouthsea

Cracking aircraft!!

My uncle used to work at Edinburgh airport and i got to stand along the runway, by the fire station, as it took off...feckin' noisy it was too and surprisingly small.

Wasn't the only reasons for her being canned. As was mentioned last night, 9/11 wiped out a lot of its frequent passengers, and things like videoconferencing were starting to really take hold. As it was chiefly a business tool, there simply wasn't any NEED for Concorde anymore. Air France had been wanting to retire her for years, the accident and the 9/11 disaster was a convenient excuse. After Air France had gone and the Airworthiness Certificates were pulled (quite what for I don;t know, as was mentioned, the faults were fixed) BA couldn't have kept them in the air even if they wanted to.

Whilst on Concorde facts, the last one made was sold to Air France for 1 franc = 10p!!!

mrmarkus1981

When i was a boy i remember taxi-ing to the runway at Heathrow. We stopped and waitied a few minutes, all i remember is looking out the window to see 1 take off, it was LOUD, very loud.

I couldnt believe i had seen it !

Whilst on Concorde facts, the last one made was sold to Air France for 1 franc = 10p!!!

Seriously?!

It said on that programme last night that BA made half a billion from the Concorde. Think it was a status thing as much as anything. Amazing that in this day and age we don't have anything like it anymore!

Seriously?!

It said on that programme last night that BA made half a billion from the Concorde. Think it was a status thing as much as anything. Amazing that in this day and age we don't have anything like it anymore!

indeed it is mate, there was a surplus of them after all the national airlines decided they didn't want them anymore. SO it was left between BA and AF. but Concorde operated at a net loss it's entire lifetime. The overall development cost was something nearer ?2-3bn.

It was a cash cow though. At one point BA done a survey of all the business people who regularly flew it to see if they knew how much a ticket was (they all had PAs to book stuff) when they all guessed much higher than the actual price, BA simply upped it to match their expectations!!!

As for your last point, ove him or hate him, Clarkson has the best quote on the subject of Concordes demise....

"Imagine going to the museum to see the future...."

I P Knightley

indeed it is mate, there was a surplus of them after all the national airlines decided they didn't want them anymore. SO it was left between BA and AF. but Concorde operated at a net loss it's entire lifetime. The overall development cost was something nearer ?2-3bn.

It was a cash cow though. At one point BA done a survey of all the business people who regularly flew it to see if they knew how much a ticket was (they all had PAs to book stuff) when they all guessed much higher than the actual price, BA simply upped it to match their expectations!!!

As for your last point, ove him or hate him, Clarkson has the best quote on the subject of Concordes demise....

"Imagine going to the museum to see the future...."

I never knew that.

Fantastic story!

On the subject of cool aircraft, I must admit to being quite proud of this...

article-0-0A69FEDA000005DC-668_634x406.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.u...gy/10602105.stm

All within the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain seems quite...timely. A Spitfire for the new age?

The machines, They'll go nuts and kill us all. Like a scene from those Terminator movies.

The machines, They'll go nuts and kill us all. Like a scene from those Terminator movies.

I'm liking the Cylonesque red "eye" at the front.

cylonraider8.jpg

siegementality

You couldn't make it up, sure enough!

As mentioned on another thread about this aircraft, me and Mrs Therapist flew on it twice. We were also on it once when it failed to get off the runway at JFK due to an afterburner fault. It was a tremendous experience. :thumbsup:

Quite a few people on here who are obviously insanely jealous of me having flown Concorde twice. :down:

If anyone wants to back up their bitter words by making a wager, I'm happy to do it. I still have boarding passes and flight certificates. I'm happy to lay a grand on the line (more if you want) and will even allow you to club together to get the stake money together. Just let me know. :thumbsup:

Come on Siege et al.....at least have the intestinal fortitude to put your money where your mouth is. :lol:

siegementality

If anyone wants to back up their bitter words by making a wager, I'm happy to do it. I still have boarding passes and flight certificates. I'm happy to lay a grand on the line (more if you want) and will even allow you to club together to get the stake money together. Just let me know. :thumbsup:

Come on Siege et al.....at least have the intestinal fortitude to put your money where your mouth is. :lol:

OK we'll make it a million quid, but I want to see your money up front first big man!

Let me know when you've got the readies together.

OK we'll make it a million quid, but I want to see your money up front first big man!

Put up or shut up. There's a good lad. :thumbsup:

Get together with your chums and scrape together some stake money. I'll even reduce the wager to ?200 just to teach you lot a lesson. :lol::lol::lol:

Jealousy is a terrible thing. It eats you up... :rolleyes:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I have been on the Space Shuttle I have, three times to be precise.

Took off, flew round the planet a few times and then touched doon in the Nevada desert, cracking experience.

Got the helmet and space suit an evereehing to prove it!!

siegementality

Put up or shut up. There's a good lad. :thumbsup:

Get together with your chums and scrape together some stake money. I'll even reduce the wager to ?200 just to teach you lot a lesson. :lol::lol::lol:

Jealousy is a terrible thing. It eats you up... :rolleyes:

Once you posted your photo with Suggs then one might think about it, until then one thinks you are full of wind and pesh.

I have been on the Space Shuttle I have, three times to be precise.

Took off, flew round the planet a few times and then touched doon in the Nevada desert, cracking experience.

Got the helmet and space suit an evereehing to prove it!!

:thumbsup:

That must have been amazing. I'd love to say I'd done that but I only ever tell people about things I've actually experienced.

Um, what kind of champagne did they serve?

Once you posted your photo with Suggs then one might think about it, until then one thinks you are full of wind and pesh.

:rolleyes:

Your jealousy is eating you up. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to double up the bet if you want. You may have missed the post from a well respected poster saying he's seen the pic.

Now, are you going to put or just continue to bump your gums?

Groundhog day!

The naysayers will cack their pants as usual, Alan.

siegementality

:rolleyes:

Your jealousy is eating you up. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to double up the bet if you want. You may have missed the post from a well respected poster saying he's seen the pic.

Now, are you going to put or just continue to bump your gums?

Lol, Irvine Jambos not dead as long as you post on the board. International jetsetter who drinks in Robbo's, aye I'm really jealous right enough.

Commander Harris

I'd just like to state for the record that I do not doubt Therapist's claim in the slightest. ?

I trust any right-thinking person can see that he is genuine in this regard.

Hope this helps, etc. ?

Archived