U17 Hearts Players in Scotland Squad

VeraNT

In a rare moment of interest in the national squad - due to the WC running to a close - I had a look at the SFA site and see there are a couple of Hearts players in the U17 team for the Scandinavian tournament. After all the hype and failed promise of all these esatern European geniuses we had in the youth program - does anyone have news or opinions about young Scottish talent in the youth program.

The fact that UEFA technical coach, Andy Roxburgh, was stuffing his face on a freebie when Platini took a wobbly on Friday, also raises the question - what has Andy done for the Scottish game in his role at UEFA?

Footballfirst

In a rare moment of interest in the national squad - due to the WC running to a close - I had a look at the SFA site and see there are a couple of Hearts players in the U17 team for the Scandinavian tournament. After all the hype and failed promise of all these esatern European geniuses we had in the youth program - does anyone have news or opinions about young Scottish talent in the youth program.

The fact that UEFA technical coach, Andy Roxburgh, was stuffing his face on a freebie when Platini took a wobbly on Friday, also raises the question - what has Andy done for the Scottish game in his role at UEFA?

I think that Scotland as a whole does OK for the size of the country as far as youth development is concerned.

Last season, Hearts had 5 players in Scotland U16 squads plus and another 3 in the U17 squad. That is a mark of success for our own Academy's development programme. Hearts also managed to play Craig Thomson, Gordon Smith, Scott Robinson, Arvydas Novikovas, Ryan Wallace and Paul Mulrooney in the first team last season, all players who were with our Academy or U19 teams, again a fair return. Not all of them will make it, such is the rate of attrition among young players, but it is the primary purpose of the Academies across Scotland to produce players capable of progressing to their respective 1st teams.

Where most clubs fail is in the transition from youth to senior football. Unfortunately that can be down to the approach of individual managers, whether they are inclined to bring in so called "experienced pros" in preference to continuing the development of their young talent, which could be more profitable to clubs in the long run. The nature of club finances at present may help the youth side of things over the next few seasons, but many people seem to demand instant success from their youngsters. An 18/19 year old is still developing as a player and won't necessarily reach their full potential until 23/24 or even later.

Footballfirst

I remember reading this.

http://www.guardian....hortage-england

How bad is it in Scotland if it is as bad as that in England?

How many fully qualified coaches are there at Hearts?

I don't think that there is any shorage of qualified coaches in the professional game as all the senior teams will subsidise their training. The shorage is more likely to exist in the semi-pro and youth / schools / grass roots levels. I don't know what coaching qualifications are held by the better youth clubs, like Hutchie Vale, Tynecastle Edinburgh City, Spartans and the like, but I would think that better coaching at that level would help develop those players who missed out on being picked up by the senior clubs at age 8-12 .

I think that Scotland as a whole does OK for the size of the country as far as youth development is concerned.

Last season, Hearts had 5 players in Scotland U16 squads plus and another 3 in the U17 squad. That is a mark of success for our own Academy's development programme. Hearts also managed to play Craig Thomson, Gordon Smith, Scott Robinson, Arvydas Novikovas, Ryan Wallace and Paul Mulrooney in the first team last season, all players who were with our Academy or U19 teams, again a fair return. Not all of them will make it, such is the rate of attrition among young players, but it is the primary purpose of the Academies across Scotland to produce players capable of progressing to their respective 1st teams.

Where most clubs fail is in the transition from youth to senior football. Unfortunately that can be down to the approach of individual managers, whether they are inclined to bring in so called "experienced pros" in preference to continuing the development of their young talent, which could be more profitable to clubs in the long run. The nature of club finances at present may help the youth side of things over the next few seasons, but many people seem to demand instant success from their youngsters. An 18/19 year old is still developing as a player and won't necessarily reach their full potential until 23/24 or even later.

Thanks for the info - you get a bit out of touch with things below the first team level when you are far from Gorgie. All that sounds promising and I also like the fact that we have cleared out a handful of "big name" international stars, who were most likely picking up big bucks.

I fly into Amsterdam from time to time, often on a weekend morning and you get this image of endless kilometers of green pitches swarming with kids playing football. Will get back to this this.

Archived