Davidsons Mains

Goldstone Wonder

Goldstone Wonder

I'm moving there on Friday from Dalgety Bay. Any D. Mains inhabitants on this board?

I'm impressed that there are three pubs on one street as opposed to two pubs for 12,000 people in the Bay. Been in the Ye Olde Inn but not the other two. Are any of these Jambo pubs or are they to be avoided?

Anything else I need to know about the area?

frankblack

I used to live in Barnton Park and drank over in D. Mains.

Started my (legal) drinking days in MacKenzies which was a good pub before it changed to the Village Inn. It went right downhill and haven't set foot in there in over 10 years. Think they changed the name back to MacKenzies, now.

The Norhet had a bit of a reputation but I found it to be a good pub whenever I went in. I suppose this is the closest to being a Jambo pub in that area. The Olde Inn leans a bit towards the green side of town, but I have had many happy days winding up the deluded ones in there. Never really seen any trouble in the Olde Inn, which is pretty family friendly.

You also have Lauriston Farm on your doorstep, which is now part of the same chain as the Tobey Carvery (Harp) in Corstorphine.

joe.gausden

I don't live in D'Mains but do drink there. Ye Olde Inn is the best pub IMO.

The Norhet is a mixed pub but it is also a cleeky pub, the same regulars standing in the same place every week talking about the same things.

The Village Inn (Mackenzies) is owned by a good jambo but is usually pretty empty.

Hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

p.s. I'm sure one of the younger KBers lives in D'Mains but i cant remember his username though i'm sure he'll be along shortly as he posts pretty regularly.

Guest Dipped Flake

I'm moving there on Friday from Dalgety Bay. Any D. Mains inhabitants on this board?

I'm impressed that there are three pubs on one street as opposed to two pubs for 12,000 people in the Bay. Been in the Ye Olde Inn but not the other two. Are any of these Jambo pubs or are they to be avoided?

Anything else I need to know about the area?

There is a great bowling club, Maitland, Just under the bridge from Drylaw to Davie Mains. Well worth joining if only for the cheap drink. Think you will find it a bit of a culture shock though after the Bay

Goldstone Wonder

Thanks for all your replies, guys. Very helpful.

I'm about 30 seconds walk from The Olde Inn so would imagine that it will be my regular, but will defo give the other two (and the bowling club!) a try at some point.

I work down there and it seems to be a pretty nice place. Not much,if any bother in the pubs. Local kids don't seem to be off their heads.

va va voom

Yeah one of the JKB massive lives in D.Mains, he sounds like something a witch flies on, but misses a letter out. I used to go to the Royal High School, which is pretty much D.Mains. Not a bad wee area, has a Tesco, 3 pubs a decent Chippy and a Chinese and also is pretty close to town and the beach and golf course at Silverknowes.

I was in Ye Olde on Saturday night. The owner of the Jaipur of India in Blackhall (indian takeaway) was going round get signatures for a petition to open up a Davey Mains branch. Quality trakeaway so hope it happens. I'd avoid the Chinese as it closed down last year on Health and safety reasons. Not sure if it is under new ownership now though...

I'm sure you'll love it. Got everything right on your doorstep in D Mains like. Not far from the centre of town either, just hop on a 41 bus. Good luck mate :thumbsup:

Guest GhostHunter

ye Olde Inn is frequented by many Jambos.

Too many vermin though....

Used to work there, as well as the Chinese - great wee place to be...and there's even a bookies.

Sorted.

The Norhet is a ***** dive.

The Olde Inn is by far the best of the three. Decent grub and a nice beer garden out the back.

The Village Inn is ok but very quiet.

I drink in the Old Inn - great pub. Always busy at the weekends and although there was a bit trouble when the new manager came in, the idiots have all been barred. Great mix of old and new folk too and the food isn't the worst. Norhet is the same faces and a bit dull but all decent guys and run and owned by a Jambo. McKenzie's also run by a big Jambo but not really that busy to be honest. Chinese is ok, chippy is rubbish apart from the pizzas and with a Tesco, pharmacy, bookies etc. all there it has it all. I stay just a five minute walk. Nice big park too if you have a dog or kids or even for a run.

Pete Seeger

I used to drink in Ye Olde, Decent enough boozer. Mix of hearts and hibs although the hibs corner is slightly more vocal. They're all decent enough though. If MacKenzies is till Owned by Joe then I'd imagine it would be frequented by hearts fans.

Goldstone Wonder

Yeah one of the JKB massive lives in D.Mains, he sounds like something a witch flies on, but misses a letter out. I used to go to the Royal High School, which is pretty much D.Mains. Not a bad wee area, has a Tesco, 3 pubs a decent Chippy and a Chinese and also is pretty close to town and the beach and golf course at Silverknowes.

I think I've sussed who you mean!

Lots of positive feedback on this thread, thanks. My kids will be going to D Mains P.S. then the Royal High so we will be part of the community.

One more Jambo to even things up in Ye Olde Inn.

Stick with Ye Olde - decent pub my mate took it over and has made it a busy wee place and he dont take **** fae the vermin

:lol:

I live in Davidson's Mains. It's quiet and nice. Never much noise or any hassle.

I watched a derby with my dad in Ye Olde Inn just after I moved in (Riordan penalty shocker) and the whole place piped up with ooh to be a...I forget what the rest of that song is. Aside from that it's pretty cheap for food and has a great big garden which is awesome in the summer. I've only been in the Norhet twice but my wee sister used to work there. It's an old man boozer which is fine as long as you're not expecting anything special. From what I've heard McKenzies sees the worst of the bother but again, that's very little.

It's got everything you really need: pubs, bookies, chippy, chinese, a park, laundrette (being a stalker I know the laundrette is used by Pressley and Riordan :whistling: ) and you've got Cramond, with the exceptional Cramond Inn, just down the road.

Aye, it's a good wee place, I like it.

P.S. Joe: I'm not that young! I can (nearly) grow a beard!!

I used to drink in Ye Olde, Decent enough boozer. Mix of hearts and hibs although the hibs corner is slightly more vocal. They're all decent enough though. If MacKenzies is till Owned by Joe then I'd imagine it would be frequented by hearts fans.

When was the last time you were in ? Been a while since you noised anyone up in there if memory serves.

Used to work there a while a go. ok boozer, used to be better. Clientele seemed to have gone down hill a bit, apparently coming back though. decent pub grub.

The so called ?Hibby corner? is full of ******s.

Coney Island Baby
and you've got Cramond, with the exceptional Cramond Inn, just down the road.
Don't forget the Blackhall Lounge! :rolleyes:

BoJack Horseman

Lived in Silverknowes for a good few years. Had the pleasure of working the bar at Ye Olde. Definitely the better of the three pubs. The Norhet is definitely the least welcoming. The Village Inn always had hassle but I think it's calmed down recently. I've been in once in recent memory and the food was crap and it was empty.

So yeah, as the rest say, stick to Ye Olde. Decent folk and nice grub. I've no idea who the manager is now though or who works there but it was a decent crowd when I worked there back in 07.

As for the rest of DMains. As folk agreed, you have your bookies, a chippy, a Greggs, a Tesco, Morissons close by, The Maitland (nice bowling club), a Boots and a McColls, a Victoria Wine (I think), a Blockbuster and then bits and bobs like hairdressers, cobblers and charity shops. Pretty much the essentials. You could get by without leaving the place. Very nice little village to live in if you ask me.

Ray Winstone

Take the 41 - 5 mins down the road to Cramond and go the the Cramond Inn.

The Alpine Lager is great at ?1.94 a pint.

Just don't go there if you are wanting a meal.

Take the 41 - 5 mins down the road to Cramond and go the the Cramond Inn.

The Alpine Lager is great at ?1.94 a pint.

Just don't go there if you are wanting a meal.

Or walk, it's less than two miles and a nice road.

Ray Winstone

Or walk, it's less than two miles and a nice road.

I prefered to keep the walk for the way home (back to Barnton up the hill), as it always seemed quicker after a few pints.

I work at Ye Olde Inn, infact, start my next shift at 5. There is very rarely trouble there, last time was the gala day but thats expected as people drink from 2pm onwards.

Went to d mains primary and royal high and have never experienced trouble at they schools or the area.

Good luck

You wont need it :thumbsup:

Goldstone Wonder

I work at Ye Olde Inn, infact, start my next shift at 5. There is very rarely trouble there, last time was the gala day but thats expected as people drink from 2pm onwards.

Went to d mains primary and royal high and have never experienced trouble at they schools or the area.

Good luck

You wont need it thumbsup.gif

Thanks. I will almost certainly be in there to watch the World Cup final as we're getting the painters in on Friday and the removal men are putting our stuff in storage until the following Friday so I will need to watch the final somewhere. If you're working let me know and I'll introduce myself.

Thanks. I will almost certainly be in there to watch the World Cup final as we're getting the painters in on Friday and the removal men are putting our stuff in storage until the following Friday so I will need to watch the final somewhere. If you're working let me know and I'll introduce myself.

I shall be working. Looking forward to it as itl be busy due to the final. Ill be behind the bar pouring pints etc so you wont miss me unless your in the lounge all day :thumbsup:

Goldstone Wonder

I shall be working. Looking forward to it as itl be busy due to the final. Ill be behind the bar pouring pints etc so you wont miss me unless your in the lounge all day thumbsup.gif

Thanks. I'll look out for you.

willie wallace

Mackenzies used to be HQ for the Drylaw bus back in the day.Believe it is a lot quieter these days.The other 2 pubs are fine and Davidson Mains is as good as any place in Edinburgh to live.Good luck.

As a former pupil of the Royal High School I can only agree with what others have said about D Mains being a great place. :thumbsup:

I would also agree with whoever was talking up the Cramond Inn. Lovely Stuff. Good Pub Quiz as well.

There is also the Lauriston Farm just down the road, basically a low-cost Harvester type restaurant and bar. Quite nice.

Ray Winstone

As a former pupil of the Royal High School I can only agree with what others have said about D Mains being a great place. thumbsup.gif

I would also agree with whoever was talking up the Cramond Inn. Lovely Stuff. Good Pub Quiz as well.

I used to play the quiz regularly - used to go down there with a good few folk fro Royal High.

Only won it once though - it is pretty tough.

Miller Jambo 60

Seems a good area,where my 2 boys will be at Royal High after the hols.

Doug.

Snake Plissken

Doug.

THE MESSIAH RETURNS

PRAISE JEBUS!

va va voom

Doug.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Welcome back ya mup!

How was the extended camping holiday?

Miller Jambo 60

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Welcome back ya mup!

How was the extended camping holiday?

Thanks guys got a lot to catch up onthumbsup.gif .

Hows my buddythumbsup.gif

Well good Dougstar! Hows you? Got the family down for a week so it's all go.

Miller Jambo 60

Well good Dougstar! Hows you? Got the family down for a week so it's all go.

Im good mate,you enjoy time with your family.thumbsup.gif

Guest GhostHunter

Does anyone mind the murder in D Mains back in 88 (I think - maybe a little after) when the boy was killed by his relly's (I think) coming out of the Norhet ?

Fecking well had just finished working at the pub and about stumbled into it.

Not so good..

BoJack Horseman

Doug.

Welcome back Doug.

TrollFace.png

joe.gausden

Does anyone mind the murder in D Mains back in 88 (I think - maybe a little after) when the boy was killed by his relly's (I think) coming out of the Norhet ?

Fecking well had just finished working at the pub and about stumbled into it.

Not so good..

Is that the one that involved an infamous football players family?

Guest GhostHunter

Is that the one that involved an infamous football players family?

TBH - can't remember, only that the fight inside the pub between the family spilled out into Main St, and he was killed there...

joe.gausden

TBH - can't remember, only that the fight inside the pub between the family spilled out into Main St, and he was killed there...

Can't remember the boys name that was killed but the father and uncles of an edinburgh pro player were involved allegedly

Guest GhostHunter

Talking of "colourful" characters - anyone remember the chap from Muirhouse who always frequented the Norhet, that had the massive spiders web tattoo on his neck ? Buggered if I can remember his name, but we always had some right choice banter in the Chinese on a Saturday night...

Ah, the memories....

I think I've sussed who you mean!

Lots of positive feedback on this thread, thanks. My kids will be going to D Mains P.S. then the Royal High so we will be part of the community.

One more Jambo to even things up in Ye Olde Inn.

Great school, just make sure if you have a boy, that he wins the Warriston League like H.A.N.S

CostaJambo

D Mains born and bred, lived there the first 18 years of my life. Brilliant place to grow up and good pubs. Also plenty of part-time jobs once your kids get a bit older. Started off delivering papers at RS McColl, then spud boy in the corbie and finally willie lows.

drewbusbomb

Or the stabbing/murder in the Chip Shop circa 1977 ?

Fortunately these occurrances are rare and the victim was not from D'Mains.

Went to D'Mains PS and RHS and have kept ties with the place (The Maitland)- why live anywhere else in Edinburgh when you already live in the best area ? :thumbsup:

Archived